Profile for Lisa > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1952

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lisa RSS Feed (Oregon)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable, Oversized 32 x 38" Jumbo Jenny Flour Sack Dishtowels, Set of 8, White
Price: $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very large, very thin; a great elite rag rather than a second class kitchen towel, August 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To experience these, you have to give up your ideas of the size, material, and general appearance of a dish towel. These towels are twice as big (both ways, so technically four times as big), very thin, pure white, and wrinkled and unattractive. While they may be high quality, frankly, they don't look it. They are so big and wrinkly that I cannot imagine using them as a regular kitchen towel, except for things like wrapping things to bring to potlucks where regular towels are too small.

But they are useful and practical, if not pretty. After washing the towels, I tested by washing a couple of windows, and it did a great job and with no lint at all, which is impressive. And they are big enough so you can get quite a lot of cleaning done. They fit in the niche where a regular kitchen towel is too small or too nice and an old rag isn't good enough.

Postscript: some weeks later, I've added that final star since I seem to be using these rather a lot; for wrapping or covering food to transport, drying tomatoes, patting food dry, lining bowls. Where perhaps a regular kitchen towel would be too nice, and where the clean whiteness of these towels makes it seem better when touching food.

Kobi Electric K4L8 25-watt (125-Watt) R40 LED 5000k Cool White Indoor Flood Light Bulb, Dimmable
Price: $32.00
6 used & new from $26.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Wide, white, and instantly bright, August 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, this is a large (wide) bulb; wider than the average flood incandescent / fluorescent / LED flood. It's too big for the regular recessed cans or for the glass shades in our hanging fixtures. Check before ordering; online, its hard to tell from the little picture.

However, the fan/light in the bathroom takes this larger size flood and this fits perfectly. The light is much more white than the incandescent it replaced...It's brighter, too. I'm happy with it. The other place I'd have wanted to put it has a dimmer; an old one that came with the house and I didn't want to risk an unapproved dimmer.

The really nice thing about this bulb is that there is no delay; all the other LEDs I've tried have a small (1 second or so) pause before the light comes on, which is much better than the sloooow brightening of fluorescent, but still annoying. This one just comes on full light output right away.

The rest of the review to follow in 23 years or whenever it wears out...

Elbow Splint - Adjustable Elbow Support #10113
Elbow Splint - Adjustable Elbow Support #10113
Offered by AVALINE
Price: $38.99
5 used & new from $38.99

2.0 out of 5 stars bulky, hard to use, doesn't help, August 18, 2014
It's hard to put on and uncomfortably bulky and cumbersome. The bigger issue is that for my elbow pain, probably tendonitis/tennis elbow, it didn't help at all. It didn't ease the pain when not in motion, and it didn't prevent me from doing the particular motions that are painful. An simple ace bandage was better. Perhaps it's good for some other kind of elbow problems.

Westcott Stainless Steel Office Ruler with Non Slip Cork Base, 6
Westcott Stainless Steel Office Ruler with Non Slip Cork Base, 6
Price: $2.68
37 used & new from $1.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect little ruler, July 29, 2014
I'm very happy to find this - a 6" metal ruler is so handy, and the machinist ones are too weird and don't have metric. This is great! While some reviews say they got printed markings, mine is engraved; I can feel dents inward for the markings. There was a sticker on the cork, but it came off very easily with just a few bits of dry paper left on the cork that don't bother me at all (I usually look at the top, and the bottom is not sticky). I am sorry for folks who got an inferior ruler but the one i got seems perfect for my needs.

The only possible quibble is that the ends don't start/end measurement at exactly 0 and 6"... it's probably giving better accuracy for measuring on a flat surface, but you can't get accurate distance from a hard surface.

Quartet Magnetic Combination Board, 17 x 23 Inches, Dry-Erase and Cork, Black/Silver Frame (79370)
Price: $20.69

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit flimsy.... but useful anyway, July 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a handy little place to keep notes and bits of paper handy and keep track of things, it seems to do the job pretty well. The real benefit (in my opinion) is the magnetic surface, though it's nice to have the white-board part and the corkboard. It is a bit flimsy and the frame was dented during shipping, but it doesn't matter for me where it is. The magnetic surface works well enough but it isn't as strong as our refrigerator (which to be fair is stainless steel). I haven't use the corkboard - not sure the value when you have magnets, perhaps for thicker things that the magnets won't hold (though the cork layer looks pretty thin too). The sticky pads for mounting stuck on easily and seem solid; I don't know if I'd have been willing to do this in this house. The pen is magnetic which makes it easy to put onto the white board. I can't quite say I really like it (but I might after it proves itself, I'm worried about magnetic power); though it's somewhat better than okay.

Beaver, Mustard Dusseldorf, 4-Ounce (12 Pack)
Beaver, Mustard Dusseldorf, 4-Ounce (12 Pack)

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't actual like mustard much, July 18, 2014
Delicious! I don't actual like mustard much, but this is great! Good zing, spice, and horseradishy notes. We always have it with german sausages. I can't find in stores any more (though I used to, which is how I know about it in the first place); have to order from beaver foods. Wish it came in larger jars.

American Catch: The Fight for Our Local Seafood
American Catch: The Fight for Our Local Seafood
by Paul Greenberg
Price: $19.53
59 used & new from $13.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Open your eyes and embrace the wild alaskan salmon, July 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you have a liking for fish and seafood, and believe that fish is healthy, open your eyes to the mysterious world of international seafood commerce, the threats and abundance, the politics and economics and environmental impact.

The stories of New York Oysters and river pollution, Louisiana Shrimp and the petroleum industry, and Alaskan Salmon and the Pebble Mine are described well enough so you learn... depressing, but not despairing; the author finds hope, especially in the local food movement and the reconnection between fishermen and consumers, and it's not all going the way of Big Business. Not quite.

For myself, I want to really notice imported fish and seafood and avoid the imports... track down a real fishmonger... and eat more of that alaskan salmon!

Happy Hen Treats Ceramic Nest Eggs, Brown
Happy Hen Treats Ceramic Nest Eggs, Brown
Price: $11.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Very relastic, June 23, 2014
They are amazing... presumably it fooled the chickens and the blue jays, which was our intention, but it also fooled us when we collected eggs, AND it fooled our poor customer who was unable to break an egg into a pan. Definitely write something on these so you don't make mistakes!

Lark Rise to Candleford Season 1 [HD]
Lark Rise to Candleford Season 1 [HD]
DVD
Price: $28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stories set in historical period with perhaps not entirely careful historical accuracy, June 8, 2014
This is a wonderful series, with well-told and timeless stories of a young girl, an independent business woman, and various other believable and lovable characters; set in 19th century rural England. The acting is excellent, the scenery is beautiful; hubby and I enjoyed this very much, and the following seasons as well. However, I am periodically taken aback by various things that just don't seem historically accurate for the time and place, unlike series like Cranford and even Upstairs Downstairs that seem to be a little closer to truth in expressing that historical period. But the stories and scenery in this do make up for any historical shortcomings.

The Magic of Shetland Lace Knitting: Stitches, Techniques, and Projects for Lighter-than-Air Shawls & More
by Elizabeth Lovick
Price: $19.07
53 used & new from $11.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, but still a good reference, May 28, 2014
This book provides three things: a set of hints and tips and general advice on shetland lace (with brief history); a pattern reference (the largest part); and some patterns for simpler-than-shetland-shawl items using the lace patterns.

I was disappointed to find next to no inspiring pictures of the masterworks of shetland lace; the stories and history is covered in 4 pages, with two pictures of shawls, neither of which is very exciting.

The patterns for things to make are also disappointing; most are fairly simple patterns in thicker yarns. The photos of the projects are to show off the work, not to make it easy to understand and knit, no closeups; it's very difficult to figure out the construction, what the pattern really looks like, or even in some cases the actual shape of the shawl; which I have also not been able to figure out from the written pattern for which the instructions seem brief and cryptic.

The bulk of the book is individual patterns you can combine in various ways, but I'm not sure I'm happy with this. The common shetland combination of hexagonal lozenges and spiderweb I want isn't provided, but the separate patterns are there and I knit samples. But a different book contained the combination of the two that was much easier to knit (turns out in garter stitch, spiderweb looks fine with decreases all slanting the same way).

The book does have a lot of hints and tips and general advice on lace knitting, and is a good reference to the various patterns that show you how they look together as well as individually. I think it's still a valuable resource, but alas not the end-all-be-all book on shetland lace.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20