Profile for R. Voorhees > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Voorhees RSS Feed (Everett, WA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Google Nexus 9 Tablet (8.9-Inch, 32 GB, White)
Google Nexus 9 Tablet (8.9-Inch, 32 GB, White)
Price: $477.16
20 used & new from $436.38

5.0 out of 5 stars The Force is strong in this one!, November 4, 2014
At first glance during unboxing, it would be easy to mistake the Nexus 9 as just another ho hum offering in a long list of look-alike Android tablets. But as we all know, looks can be deceiving, and in this case, I can say with all certainty that they most definitely are. This is one beast of a tablet, tamed by a FINALLY well polished 5.0 Lollipop OS. Is it a perfect tablet? I think you can find fault with any tablet, whether Apple or Android. But, the HTC Nexus 9 is BY FAR the closest anyone has gotten.

Much ado has been made about the iPad Air 2, and rightfully so, although IOS 8 still has a few bugs to work out, so its inevitable that the Nexus 9 is going to be compared. Let's just cut to the chase. For me, at least, I can say something I never thought I'd be saying: I'll be returning my Air 2. Here's why:

Form Factor
The 9 got this just right. The switch to a 4:3 aspect and 8.9 inch screen puts it right in the sweet spot between the 7 inch tablets or the iPad mini series, both of which often had text just a little too small, and the 10.1 tablets or the full sized iPad, which offer a comfortable viewing experience while being considered just a bit cumbersome when considering portability. The 9 very nicely fits the Goldilocks space of being "just right". You get the 7 inch wide screen for movies AND the extra real estate of the 4:3 aspect for games, web surfing, and eBook reading. You get the best of both worlds while still being comfortable and well balanced for single hand use. The 9 just feels right!

Screen
Let's get this out of the way: the AMOLED screens in the Samsung S series tablets are unbeatable. There. But,I can absolutely say that the 9's screen is every bit as good as the Air 2 (with the exception of the Air's anti reflective coating), offering an identical resolution, but with higher DPI, giving the 9 the edge in sharpness. It's bright, bold, and beautiful, with a full color range that gives accurate representation while providing a nice "pop".

Sound
Nobody really expects much from a tablet as far as sound is concerned. With the exception of the Kindle HD 7, which had exceptional sound, tablets offered generally bland, tinny, unimpressive audio. Looking at the tiny slits of the front facing speakers of the 9, you'd expect more of the same. The reality is, however, not only impressive, but downright awesome sound that easily surpasses anything out there for tablets. Great high to mid tones. Does it lack bass? Absolutely. But it's the closest thing you'll get without turning to headphones. The aural experience of these speakers with the 5.1 Dolby surround turned on is not simply technically impressive; it genuinely adds immersiveness in watching movies. Extremely impressive. The 9's sound is really that good.

Build
The iPad build is unmatched...I won't make excuses here. But I can say that the Nexus 9 is well made, and the plastic back makes perfect sense to you when the NVIDIA K1 kicks into high gear. The upper left side, when in landscape, gets really warm. If they'd used an aluminum back, some would undoubtedly find the heat uncomfortable. Which brings us to:

Performance
Brace yourselves. Speed is coming. Three words: HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP! 53,223 in Antutu? Are you kidding me?!? I briefly held the number 1 spot in the top 200 Antutu scores. By a wide margin. A very wide margin. What you get from all this power is silkysweet navigation, browsing, and absolutely killer gaming. Imagine yourself as a kid flopping belly first onto a Slip n Slide for the first time. That's what using the Nexus 9 feels like. But obviously, this is also probably due to the...

Operating System
Lollipop is GOOD. Very, very good. It is well polished, vastly more simplistic while also being far more capable than any previous Android version. How much better is it? Let's just say that you'll recognize the icons. That's where the familiarity ends. Put an R in front of evolutionary, and that will describe how much better Android 5.0 is. Google absolutely knocked this out of the park. And over the outfield bleachers. Into the parking lot. Where it broke the windshield of a car with an Apple logo on it.

Negatives
Let's face it. 32 GB of storage barely cuts it anymore. I dearly wish that HTC and Google would have allowed microSD expansion (a big plus that has always distinguished Android from Apple), or at LEAST dropped the 16 gig model and offered a 32 and 64 gig version instead. And that's honestly the only real criticism I have about this tablet.

Conclusions
Don't get me wrong... I'm not claiming that you'll find the HTC Nexus 9 to be better than the iPad Air 2. That's a matter of preference. What I am saying is that finally, FINALLY we have an unequivicable Android alternative that's every bit an equal, on virtually every level, that even the most dedicated Apple fanboi would have to begrudgingly acknowledge. Let me put it this way: I enjoy and use both Apple and Android. That's because each had something the other lacked. But, for the first time ever, I can finally return my iPad and feel like I'm not really missing out on anything.
Comment Comments (22) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2014 7:35 AM PST

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet (WiFi)
NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet (WiFi)
Price: $299.00
17 used & new from $285.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually a remarkable piece of tech, July 29, 2014
This is an incredible piece of hardware, although you can't necessarily tell that from its somewhat vanilla design. It's not particularly svelte either at about a third of an inch thick. But that's not the point. This baby was designed first and foremost as a gaming device, and despite earlier misgivings, it does this quite well, besides being a beast of a machine.

The screen is pretty great, with good viewing angles and a vivid display. It's not as amazing as the amoled displays on the Galaxy S series of tablets, but I'd say its comparable to the best displays next to that. Battery life is decent for general use, about 9-10 hours, but gaming eats the battery pretty fast...about 2-3 hours roughly. Maybe that will improve a bit after the battery recycles a few times. Anyway, you have three performance settings, and the good news is the Tegra K has so much raw power that it can run any current game at the lowest performance setting with ease, even those enhanced specifically for the tablet.

The sound is really pretty good, with a surprising amount of mids and even a bit of bass that you wouldn't expect from a tablet of this size. Watching movies is, for once, completely doable without headphones.

From a gaming standpoint, I think that if nVidia does this right and gets developers on board with some big name titles that take full advantage of the architecture, especially considering that it can handle the Unreal 4 engine in real time, we could see some amazing stuff. But in the meantime, the game streaming from compatible nVidia based PCs is completely awesome. And if you happen to live in the western U.S., you'll also get to experience cloud streaming of PC games for FREE, and they have some decent games in there too, like The Witcher 3, Saints Row the Third, and many other popular titles. I do wish they would have included the native Half Life 2 port instead of Trine. That would have made this even more attractive.

So should you get this? It is a bit of a gamble that it will be successful as the gaming machine it is pitched as, and although I've used Bluetooth controllers and they seem to work fine, I can't comment on the proprietary controller that nVidia is releasing soon for this tablet (which I personally think is overpriced by $20).

But purely as a tablet I think it's the best 7-8 incher out there, despite the blocky design, and has a tremendous amount of room for growth, meaning that you probably won't be looking to replace it anytime soon as the next tablet cycle comes along.

EDIT: Just read an article that shows the graphics power of the K1 being several times faster than the Apple A7, with the K1 having the capability to render near Playstation 3 level graphics.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2014 2:44 PM PDT

DJI Phantom Brushless Gimbal Camera Mount for Gopro 3 FPV w/ Motor & Controller with Motors/gyro/av Output Cable Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised!, April 3, 2014
This actually came assembled and all wires connected, which made me quite happy actually. This unit works great, and doesn't require any programming (although it does use the Martinez controller board with USB port if you want to adjust parameters or flash other builds on it). I didn't find an AV GoPro cable, but at this price and a U.S. shipping address, I don't mind the omission. Very, very pleased!

Sony WX350 18 MP Digital Camera (Black)
Sony WX350 18 MP Digital Camera (Black)
Price: Click here to see our price
56 used & new from $144.99

5.0 out of 5 stars May be the best point and shoot on the market!, March 23, 2014
I couldn't wait to get my hands on one of these, so I picked one up at the local BB, and I have to say, the wait was worth it. This is probably as close to a DSLR as you can get while still keeping the ease of a pocket sized point and shoot. It's laden with features, such as object tracking (think golf swing analysis!), lock in auto focus, which is great for movies...oh, and speaking of movies, it shoots full 1080p at 60p, and the image stabilization is incredibly efficient, even at the full 20x optical zoom. Smooth, smooth video on par with a GoPro without the fish eye effect.

The sensor is amazing. extremely low light with no noise, and super crisp pictures...ALMOST on par with the NEX 5T. I generally give a camera the "jeans" test, where I shoot a close up of denim fabric, then blow it up to fullest magnification and look at the detail level. The detail level looks like a microscope...exactly what I look for.

The LED display is fairly intuitive, is bright and crisp, so you get an excellent idea of how your pictures will look when printed. My only complaint is that I'm used to a touch screen, which this doesn't have. Some people like that, some people don't. I would have preferred one as it makes navigating so much easier, but again, the point is quality photos and video. I'll throw a couple shots up so you can see for yourself.

I won't say this is a steal at $299.00, but in this case, you DO get what you pay for.

Great, great camera!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2014 3:19 AM PDT

Viewsonic V3D231 23-Inch 3D Monitor
Viewsonic V3D231 23-Inch 3D Monitor
2 used & new from $249.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly is 3D, December 22, 2013
It exists in three dimensional space! And the quantum observer effect clearly plays a role when viewing it. No telling what it appears like when no one is looking at it.

Razor E300 (V1-V35) Electric Scooter Motor
Razor E300 (V1-V35) Electric Scooter Motor
Offered by United Express Distribution
Price: $47.99
6 used & new from $32.00

5.0 out of 5 stars HAWT damn!, December 22, 2013
It's a motor...it scoots...what more can you say about this? Oh, and it's made out of metal. Steel I think.

Damages Season 3 [HD]
Damages Season 3 [HD]
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoo baby!, December 22, 2013
Glenn Close is HAWT! (Cough..wheeze) I mean...just look at that face! (Shudders) never mind the other girl. Oops! Time for supper...

Sony Xperia Z SGP311U1/B 10.1-Inch 16GB Tablet (2013 Model)
Sony Xperia Z SGP311U1/B 10.1-Inch 16GB Tablet (2013 Model)
14 used & new from $196.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Xperia Tablet Z: A Strong Contender for Best Tablet, May 29, 2013
I HAD to have one of these as I've been looking for my ideal Android tablet for some time, and so far, the majority of the pro websites have given the Sony Xperia Tablet Z very positive reviews. Not wanting to wait several weeks, as Amazon states for their shipping times, I bought one straight from Sony...and I couldn't be much happier! Just about every tablet I've tried has had defect issues, build issues, too low screen resolution (or underpowered when it was hi rez), etc., etc. Although it's not perfect, with everything I'd LIKE to see in a tablet, I think it's overall the best tablet currently available.

BUILD:
I know it's been said in many reviews, but seriously, this thing is amazingly light and well balanced. At roughly the equivalent in weight to an iPad Mini, it's a remarkable feat of engineering. Yet it's also quite solid and exceptionally well made. There is no tablet lighter and thinner than the Z...period.

SPECS:
Powered by a quad-core Snapdragon processor, the Z scores a remarkable Antutu benchmark of 20,000+ straight out of the box, readily defeating the Nexus 10. That's some serious power, and it shows in smooth and responsive controls, whether surfing the web, running apps, or playing graphic-intensive games. The GPS locked onto 15 satellites INDOORS within seconds using GPS Test. WIFI is rock solid and supports dual-channel wireless speeds of 300 mbs. It links up with a PS3 Dual Shock controller through a USB host adapter at first, then wirelessly after being paired with the tablet. It has a Micro SD card slot for memory expansion up to 64 GB. It even has a built in FM radio for heaven's sake. The IR remote control works very, very well, and the channel guide with show descriptions and pictures is a great added feature. And the ability to "throw" the channel to your TV with a simple swipe is pretty cool. And although Sony claims that the WIFI mirroring of your tablet screen is a feature for Sony smart HDTVs, it worked perfectly with my LG TV, much to my surprise. I really haven't had the ability to test out the NFC capability, but I suspect I will eventually as the standard is more widely adopted.

SCREEN:
Hands down, the Sony Xperia Tablet Z has the most vivid screen of any tablet I've seen, including the Transformer Prime, Nexus 10, and Apple iPad 4, thanks to the Bravia 2 engine, the same used in Sony's HDTVs. It's simply stunning. While not as high of a resolution as the Nexus 10 or iPad 4, I personally think the difference is hardly noticeable in side-by-side comparisons. A Matte finish would have been great as the screen is glossy, but no more so than the other tablets out there.

SOUND:
Sony touts the sound as a primary feature of the tablet, and for the most part, it lives up to the hype. The 3D surround is decent, although I have to say the Galaxy Note 10.1 still has the best overall stereo and 3D sound with its forward facing bezel-lined speakers. Still, the Sony sound is plenty loud, and full of nice enhancements and equalizers for fine tuning. I have to be honest and say that I was slightly disappointed in this regard, as the overall sound feels hollow, no matter how you adjust it. Not nearly as rich as the Kindle Fire HD's powerful speakers. But still, it's a tablet after all, and headphones are the way to go, with full surround sound support that's REALLY nice in every respect... something I don't think any other tablet features.

CAMERAS:
Sony made a lot out of the use of its EXMOR low light sensors used in the front 2 MP and rear 8 MP cameras, but at this point, despite it's plethora of features and adjustments, I find the results to be disappointing when used indoors...where you'd think the sensors are best suited. The result is noticeable graininess, even in fairly well lit indoor areas. Outdoors? No problem. Nice, crisp, well saturated photos and video that are as good as you'll get on any tablet. But why manufacturers can't use the same cameras as their smartphones is beyond me. Anyway, I have to say that Burst Mode is really cool. I got some awesome hummingbird photos while sitting on the back porch. I'm hoping Sony can wring out better results with firmware updates down the road.

ANDROID OS:
A lot has been said about the fact that it's running an earlier, skinned build of the Android OS: 4.1.2 as opposed to 4.2.2 on the Nexus 10. But honestly, the added Sony specific features are largely well implemented while keeping the experience true to the standard Android OS. Sony also stated that they'll have a 4.2 update "soon", but we'll have to see how that pans out.

HEY! IT'S WATERPROOF!
Although this may not be a selling point for many, it does open up some places for use that no other tablet offers, at least without some trepidation, like at the pool, spa, bathtub, or in the rain. Pretty cool I think, and yes, it really does work as advertised. You can't help but feel strange submerging it in a sink full of water for a couple of minutes (up to 30 by Sony's standards), but afterwards, you'll know for sure that you don't have to worry about liquids damaging your investment.

BATTERY:
Even though it's substantially smaller than the majority of tablet batteries, the Z DOES last as long as Sony claims, and even exceeds my expectations. So far, I've gotten 8 hours of constant use, from surfing to video playback to playing graphic intensive games, and it's down to about 15% remaining. Need I say more?

Bottom line? Sony delivered in a big way, and it appears that they've learned from their mistakes in previous, rather anemic tablet offerings. The combination of a great hi rez screen, decent sound, expandable storage, ease of extended use, battery life, raw horsepower... plus features like universal remote control and waterproof... really do make the sum of the whole the best there is, in my opinion.

Well done Sony, well done!
Comment Comments (35) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2014 3:54 PM PST

Great Planes Segmented Lead Weights, 6-Ounce
Great Planes Segmented Lead Weights, 6-Ounce
Price: $6.88
11 used & new from $4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product!, May 16, 2013
It's lead...it's heavy...it helped me balance my busy work schedule and home life! Saved my marriage for sure! Kids are happier now too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2013 2:01 PM PDT

Anne Klein Women's 109416RGBL Swarovski Crystal Rose Gold-Tone and Blue Ceramic Bracelet Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, May 16, 2013
My wife absolutely ADORED this watch when I gave it to her on Mother's Day. It's stylish, well designed, and just plain lovely! Highest recommendation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4