Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Profile for D. Toop > Reviews

Browse

D. Toop's Profile

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Toop RSS Feed (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
ASUS O!Play - TV HD Media Player (Black)
ASUS O!Play - TV HD Media Player (Black)
5 used & new from $110.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect...., September 12, 2010
I bought this unit because I have a Squeezebox Logitech Squeezebox Touch for my music (and love it) and wanted to do the same for my movies - digitize them so I don't need to dig through all those dvd's to watch what I want. I just go to the O!play, pick the file out and play it.

For what I paid for this device it is pretty awesome. It plays back with 99% of my media files and downloads. Picture quality has been excellent on both my old 50" standard def and my new 46" high def TV. The simple rule of good quality with this box is - if it doesn't look good running full screen on your pc, it won't look good playing back on your TV either.

I mostly watch movies and TV shows from DVD on my O!play. I have all my DVD's ripped to iso files and playback works just like playing the DVD with all the extras and everything. This also means they are full quality and fairly large files.

Way back when I first got it there were issues connecting to Win7 but they have been corrected, as have a lot of other issues. The box has never frozen, stuttered, or refused to connect to HDMI, even though in a previous version of the firmware my (new) tv was identified as having HDMI connection problems. Dolby Digital and DTS pass-through to my receiver works perfectly and TrueHD support has recently been added. Still pictures look great as well.

There are only two things that bug me about this device. The first is that there is no Menu button on the remote and with some DVD's you have to fast forward through the whole DVD to get back to the menu. The second is that when playing back some files you need to switch audio modes, (spdif raw to lpcm) which can be done pretty simply without stopping the video, but it still bugs me.

I have tried the Music mode and it seems to work ok and the sound is ok - it just doesn't hold a candle to what my Squeezebox can do.

I have also tried the online streaming but it is limited at the moment to the sites coded into the firmware. It seems to work but does not interest me.

This is not a device for everyone though.
-You need to connect it to a network or external disk.
-You will need to feel comfortable updating the firmware to improve operation or add features.
-You will need to rip content to play on it.
-You will need to store and access that content through a network or attached disk.
-You will likely need to add hard disk storage to your pc or your network once you start ripping. Full quality video files are not small.
-You will likely need to access Asus Support forums to get the most of your O!play.

Putting My Way: A Lifetime's Worth of Tips from Golf's All-Time Greatest
Putting My Way: A Lifetime's Worth of Tips from Golf's All-Time Greatest
by Jack Nicklaus
Price: $19.76
56 used & new from $8.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Putting Jack's way., September 5, 2010
If you want technical stand like this, hold tour hands like this, bend at the hips at x angle instruction don't bother with this book.

If you want common sense advice starting with the mental aspects and mental pitfalls of putting to how to pick a putter, how to read greens, read grain, and how to approach putts that are difficult to read, both uphill and downhill. What practice is for and how Jack used it along with the value of advice. I enjoyed reading this as much for the incidental golf advice as much as for the putting advice.

It also gives you a look at what was going on in Jack's head and hands during some of his greatest moments with a putter in his hand. In those moments you realize what made him the tournament player he was and what I need to do to be a better putter and player.

Dave Pelz's Damage Control: How to Save Up to 5 Shots Per Round Using All-New, Scientifically Proven Techniq ues for Playing Out of Trouble Lies
by Dave Pelz
Price: $24.79
54 used & new from $7.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Save Shots..., September 5, 2010
Tons of useful information. Golf is not a game of perfect so everyone ends up in the rhubarb from time to time. Knowing how to get out without "blowing up" your scorecard is great and worth spending time practicing.

Learning to take the high percentage shot out of trouble vs. trying the hero shot does make a difference on the scorecard. Practice makes your chances better as well. Do you honestly think that when pros make incredible recovery shots never practiced that part of their game?

Getting your brain to look for the high percentage shot to get out of trouble in one shot and practicing the skills to do it is what this book is about.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Big Bag..., August 25, 2010
Pro's:
-Big easy to grab handles.
-Pockets, lots of big pockets and a couple of huge ones too. Unless you have seen it you can't imagine how many pockets there are and how much they hold. Has a nice pocket that is soft lined for your glasses or sunglasses. There's also a hidden pocket for your wallet that's hidden well enough my wife couldn't find my wallet until I showed her where it was, even though she was looking right at it.
-Cooler, a 6 pack and ice size one and its insulated too.
-Organizer with spaces for 4 hybrid clubs and 8 irons, the hybrid slots will hold irons as well. Holds the irons with the toe out so clubs are easy to see and easy to grab.
-Cart-strap - a nice padded strap you thread the power cart strap through and then buckle around your bag to keep the cart strap from marking up your bag.
-Snap on cover that fits over your clubs.
-Strap between two of the front pockets that you can use to hold head covers.
-Towel clip strap is velcro for holding your glove.

Cons:
- My Itsy Bitsy Spider covers the clubs next to it when its in the putter scabbard. If you have a larger putter you may have the same problem.
-Woods organizer is a little tight. Its hard to get head covers through the spaces.
-A little on the heavy side but it is a cart bag, with room for tons of stuff...
-Its tall compared to other bags but no taller with the clubs in it. Straps on carts may not go across the bag where you expect. (My Clicgear 3 cart works fine with the bag on it.)

The thing I find cool about Bennington bags is you keep finding more thoughtful features about the bag every time you use it. Things like the velcro strap to hold the shoulder strap against the back of the bag while you are not using it.

My old Bennington CEO bag held up well for a lot of years and I hope this one does too.

Trunk-It Golf Gear Storage Trunk Organizer/Locker for Car or Truck
Trunk-It Golf Gear Storage Trunk Organizer/Locker for Car or Truck
Price: $28.99
9 used & new from $21.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Trunkit all..., August 1, 2010
You can put all your stuff in here and pick what you need and put it in your bag for your round. Well ventilated so no matter how wet your shoes get they have a chance to dry out without getting (too) smelly.
Everything is held in with velcro and can be moved around or removed to customize storage space. The interior is smooth vinyl and easy to clean.

Nike Air Zoom Elite II Golf Shoes WH/Silv/Bla 11 M
Nike Air Zoom Elite II Golf Shoes WH/Silv/Bla 11 M

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Shoes, July 27, 2010
Unlike golf shoes I have owned previously these felt broken in by the end of the first round. The out-sole design offers plenty of traction and grip, with the spikes themselves being one of the best I have used since real spikes were allowed.
One small drawback is that the out-sole provides a lot of the grip and as it wears the shoes will lose their grip. I found a product called CleatSkins that should protect the shoes and also mean you don't have to change shoes before driving home.

Bushnell Sport 600 Laser Rangefinder
Bushnell Sport 600 Laser Rangefinder

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Rangefinder, May 31, 2010
My old Bushnell rangefinder died after a long and useful life. I use it for golf mostly as I have a difficult time judging distance due to losing an eye playing hockey many years ago.

This is a good basic rangefinder that does what they say it does. Point, push and you know how far away whatever is. The unit takes a little practice to use as it is a little lighter than it needs to be but once you get the hang of it it works great. No bells and whistles aside from the rain feature which all Bushnell's have, just distance in yards or meters.

I hope this rangefinder gives me the 15 years+ service my old one did.

Champ Scorpion Stinger Large Thread Golf Spikes
Champ Scorpion Stinger Large Thread Golf Spikes
Offered by Par 4 Inc.
Price: $3.95
9 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice spikes, May 18, 2010
Played a few rounds with these already. They have great grip on the tee boxes. They feel soft on the greens not too grabby. They also feel soft on the cart paths and walkways and are easy to walk on.
The built in wear indicator is also a plus.

Clicgear 3.0 Push Golf Cart
Clicgear 3.0 Push Golf Cart

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice...., May 11, 2010
Pluses:
- Folds up nice and small. The smallest folder of any push cart I have seen. (13" x 14" x 24") I could get two of these and two golf bags in my car trunk easily.
- As easy to open and close as the video on Clic Gear's site (or You Tube) shows.
- Easily adjustable push handle.
- New cup holder design hangs in any one of three places on the outside of the handle - and looks bigger than the old design.
- Rolls so smooth and easy.
- Great bag straps. Easy to adjust double bungee straps and hold your bag nice and firm. They hook together which makes them impossible to accidentally undo during your round. There's also nylon tags on the side that hooks in so you can hook and unhook them without pinching your fingers. Much better than straps and buckles.
- Towel hanger/glove holder combo hangs the towel where it won't touch the wheels but is still very handy. I have not used it in the rain but it should work nicely to help keep the towel dry and clean.
- Wide stance means its stable and not prone to tipping.
-A little pricey but worth it. It's really well made and the design is well thought out. It's powder coated and not painted, ruggedly built, sealed bearings in the wheels, bungee on the umbrella holder, and there are parts drawings and parts available from the manufacturer should something break.
- An optional hanger for hanging it on the wall.
- An evolution in design that appears to have addressed all the owners concerns from the previous model.

Minuses:
-LOTS of pinch points. Not for children to play with or fold/unfold. Read the instructions, watch the video and pay attention to what you are doing when folding unfolding the cart.

Like my mom always said, you can by the good one once or the cheap one twice - I would like to think I got the good one.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Thers a good reason its on the Hot List!, May 4, 2010
This thing is so easy to hit its unbelievable. Easy to hit off the fairway, out of the rough, out of fairway bunkers. Club weighting and solid feel at impact makes you want to hit it hard too, but you don't have to. With solid contact the results are spectacular, every time.

I tried the TP version as well but it had a higher kick point and needed to be swung harder to achieve the same results and the ball flight seemed lower as well.

Page: 1 | 2