Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for Kerry Nietz > Reviews

Browse

Kerry Nietz's Profile

Customer Reviews: 255

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kerry Nietz "Author" RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PODOM Men's Autumn Winter Pullover Long Sleeve Hoodies Casual Coats Coffee L
PODOM Men's Autumn Winter Pullover Long Sleeve Hoodies Casual Coats Coffee L

5.0 out of 5 stars Really like this shirt. Pay attention to the sizes!, February 4, 2016
I was contacted by PODOM to give a review of this shirt for Amazon. The most difficult thing for me, and I suspect it will be for most American buyers, is in finding the right size. From the measurements and the size chart (Make sure you start there!) I should wear a size L. I typically wear a size XL using American measurements, but I followed the size chart and ordered L.

The shirt that arrived was marked XL, but that isn’t an American XL. In fact, it fit me fine on the sleeves and shoulders. Comfortable, but snugger than I usually buy. So it felt like how I would fit a slightly-larger American size L. When I contacted the seller they said I was sent the wrong size by accident. I got an M (tag size XL) and should’ve gotten an L (tag size XXL). Confused yet? Me too. But if you order using the size chart and get the size you ordered, I think you’ll be very happy. Just remember that the tag size doesn’t reflect the size here. M == tag size XL, L == tag size XXL, etc.

As to the shirt itself: I really like it. Nice color. Feels like a sweatshirt, but it is nice enough to be worn out on a date. Double stitching around the collar and the sleeves should make it durable. Lots of polish here—reinforced elbows, large and heavy buttons, even the strings have cloth grommets on them to keep them from disappearing into the hood or pulling out in the wash. I haven’t washed it yet, but the polyester and cotton mix should keep it from shrinking.

Overall, a really nice shirt. I heartily recommend it.

American Hawk Little Boys' French Terry Pullover and Jean, Multi, 7
American Hawk Little Boys' French Terry Pullover and Jean, Multi, 7
Price: $15.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly nice., February 3, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This pullover and jean set is a lot nicer than I was expecting for the price. Both pieces are double stitched on the pockets, adding to their durability. (Just what you’d like to see in boys’ clothing.) The sweatshirt is especially soft on the inside. Seems really comfortable. Both items are more appealing than they might appear in pictures. Nice design patterns on the jean pockets and the shirt color is warm and cozy. Again, I’m impressed by this set. I think your boy will love it!

IRONMAN Triathlon X-Class Light Commercial Multi-Workout Abdominal/Hyper Back Extension Bench

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid bench that could use a few tweaks., January 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great addition to any home gym.
I’ve always thought it would be nice to have both an ab bench and a hyper bench for home. They are two movements that are difficult to duplicate without the proper equipment, but buying separate benches for two specialized exercises can get a little pricey. (That’s what outside gyms are for!) I was happy to be offered this Abdominal/Hyper Back bench for review. It seemed to be the perfect solution.

I have to say I love, love, love how the IRONMAN folks arranged the hardware to set up this bench. Everything you need (tools included) is in the box and the small hardware for each of the six construction steps is in a separate plastic bag. So, all the nuts, washers, and bolts you’ll need for step 1 will be in the bag marked “1”. Can’t get any better than that. Construction took me probably twenty minutes, and there was really no place where I got stuck.

One part that I did have issues with was the swing tube portion. (The portion that has the two round pads on it.) Once installed, it should be able to be locked in two positions using a removable pin. Mine was impossible to lock in both positions. I called the Paradigm Health support line—which is clearly marked on the instructions—and they sent out new parts for me to try. No hassle. No problem.

After installing the new parts I was able to lock the swing tube in both positions. However, it is still overly snug. One piece of advice I would give here is not to excessively tighten the bolt that connects the swing tube. Make it snug and firm, but don’t wrench on it. That will give a little more play to the swing tube and allow it to lock easier.

Another thing I would’ve liked to see included in the box was a short instructional manual that shows the various positions the bench can be arranged in. Something like the positions they show in the listing above that you could have right near the machine for those that want to use it. The absence of such a manual almost seems like an oversight to me.

Otherwise, this is a great multifunction bench that should last a lifetime. (It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty, just in case.) I recommend it!

Paper Mate Inkjoy Gel Pen, Medium Point, Red (1953047)
Paper Mate Inkjoy Gel Pen, Medium Point, Red (1953047)
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay for me..., January 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I’m not sold on the Inkjoy Gel Pen. The color is vibrant, and it is nice that it dries quickly. But it isn’t a pen that is ready-to-go out of the package. You have to scribble with it awhile to get the ink into the tip—long enough that I wondered if it was defective.

Also, the larger felt (?) tip forces a more straight up-and-down grip than I’m used to. Not uncomfortable, really, but different. Those that are used to this type of pen will doubtless be happy, though.

Leifheit Herb Mill, White
Leifheit Herb Mill, White
Price: $15.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the mill you're looking for..., January 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This herb mill seems like a neat idea, but it falls apart in practice.

It comes in a bag in pieces that you have to figure out how to assemble. Now granted, there aren’t too many pieces, and there is a tiny picture you can look at to see how it should look when it is assembled, but the proper way to assemble it isn’t obvious. The only words on the bag (in tiny print) are about how wonderful the mill is. Nothing about assembling it.

Then after you have it assembled, the usefulness is marginal. My wife tried milling some basil. The mill doesn’t chop the leaves very fine, and it is a lot of work to keep it chopping—and the process results in a lot of waste. It is less work, and less wasteful, to use a cutting board and a knife.

On the positive side, the mill does clean easily.

STX Little Boys' Tricot Jacket and Pant with Graphic T-Shirt, Neon Lime, 6
STX Little Boys' Tricot Jacket and Pant with Graphic T-Shirt, Neon Lime, 6
Price: $10.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Boys like STX., January 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the second article of clothing by STX that I've reviewed, and I'm equally as impressed as the first time. The outfit earned the coveted "Like it!" from my 5-year-old son, which means a lot, because a) Getting him to try on clothes is usually a chore in itself, b) Having him actually thinking and/or commenting about clothes is rare.

These clothes are well made and look great on him. Comfortable and fun. My son is tall for his age, and 75 percentile in weight. These pants fit his waist perfectly, but they are a little long. (This was with size 6. He's five, but only four months from being 6.) Not long enough to touch the ground with shoes on, though. Only a little growing room.

A great set, especially at this price.

Brave New World
Brave New World
by Aldous Huxley
Price: $8.81
509 used & new from $1.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly predictive, January 12, 2016
This review is from: Brave New World (Paperback)
I somehow missed reading this book during my high school and college years, even though I read many of the other classic dystopian novels—namely “1984”, “Fahrenheit 451”, and “Logan’s Run”. I can’t say that I found “Brave New World” as immersive as those other novels, but it was easily as compelling. I wanted to know what would happen next. Especially when the “Savage” arrived on the scene. What affect would his presence have on Huxley’s “perfect” society?

Given when “Brave New World” was written, 1931, it is the earliest of them all, and surprisingly the most predictive, I think. At some level western society has become obsessed with pleasure and immediate gratification. Many of us use chemical means to keep us happy, or at least, numb. We are constantly conditioned to consume, and steered toward one ideological bent or another. We often secretly suspect that the only ones benefiting from all this conditioning are those that are in charge.

One thing I found interesting from the notes that follow the book was the talk about its reception, and how “Brave New World” was criticized for its obsession with sex. I would guess most of today’s readers wouldn’t be offended by that part at all. Many of them, like the characters in story, would find such an objection weird or even prudish by today’s standards. What I think those readers would be more uncomfortable with is the page or two of God-talk that comes at the end. From experience, I know that spiritual discussions even less specific could brand a book today “preachy” and therefore objectionable.

Ah, how far we’ve come.

Sadly, I think you nailed it Mr. Huxley. I enjoyed this book. I applaud its predictive power. And I like the preachy parts where the characters try to wrestle with truth. Good stuff. I recommend it.

Note: The HarperCollins eBook version had formatting issues that made reading a little troublesome, especially in the early chapters. There was no space between section changes, so it was difficult to tell when one character POV started and another began. Confusing!

PNY Performance 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL11 1.35V Notebook (SODIMM) Memory MN4GSD31600LV
Price: $20.99
10 used & new from $18.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like it should, December 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Little to complain about with this memory. After a bit of research to make sure it was compatible, I installed it in my wife's HP Pavilion (g6) laptop. Took maybe five minutes. The computer recognized it and Windows now shows the machine with more memory. No faults here.

Belkin MIXIT Metallic USB Car Charger for Apple and Android Devices (2.4 Amp / 5 Watt), White
Price: $19.13
5 used & new from $19.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice charger!, December 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Nice charger in a trim package. Appears to be solidly made, and is simple to use—merely plug it into your car's DC outlet and insert the USB cable for your favorite device. I was able to use it to charge my Samsung Galaxy Tab and my non-Android, not-too-smart, Samsung phone with no problems. Also won't take up much space in the storage areas of your car. (Glove compartment, console storage, what-have-you.) I recommend it!

Northpoint Ardour White Goose Down Alternative Comforter, Full/Queen
Northpoint Ardour White Goose Down Alternative Comforter, Full/Queen
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly nice comforter., December 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice comforter. Generally, down alternative comforters are heavier than genuine down because they require more material to be as warm. This comforter is surprising light while still seeming “heavy” from a warmth perspective. Medium-weight is probably the best way to describe it. A comfortable and weight and solid warming performance.

It is also larger than I expected. We have a king size bed, so I expected this to seem really small on it. But it doesn’t—it fits the top nicely from the bottom of the pillow down. (Now that I look at the dimensions, that makes sense. This comforter is 88” x 88” inches and a king mattress is 76” x 80”)

A great comforter for the money. Buy with confidence.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20