Profile for weezer1201 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

weezer1201 RSS Feed

Nyrius SW100 Digital Audio Optical Toslink 3 Input Selector Switch Compatible with Fiber Optic Cables, HDTV, Blu-ray DVD player, PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, XBOX360, PS3
Offered by ShopTronics
Price: $14.99
6 used & new from $9.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Surprised this qualifies as Merchantable, July 8, 2013
I bought this after seeing the positive review composite for it and without many other options, I didn't spend time to look at the negative ones or read the vague glowing recommendations. Whether this fails a month after you use it or never works at all, this product is not a valid solution for people looking for a digital audio switch.

You can visibly tell how much signal you are losing when it passes through the switch by plugging in a lit device into one of the inputs and then looking into the output opening. The red light is incredibly dim(all three inputs were barely visible after passing through the switching mechanism) and by the time you pass it through another 6 feet of Toslink, you have nothing on the other end. I don't think there was anything defective about mine other than the design. It has been a long time since I took optics, but the light is having to transition mediums 4 times before it gets converted using this and I would think that would cause a ton of degradation. I am going with a powered solution over passive.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2013 4:01 PM PDT

SteelSeries Merc Stealth Gaming Keyboard
SteelSeries Merc Stealth Gaming Keyboard
Offered by A Top Shelf
Price: $179.00
10 used & new from $130.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Can dated technolgy be a plus?, March 1, 2012
I was really glad to see somebody was still making this keyboard. I had one of the original ones that was going out on me-several keys were worn to the point of subverting under adjacent ones. It had moved with me through three PCs and I haven't had a problem with any operating system yet, XP32bit, vista64bit, and windows764bit. I was actually using the steelseries software engine on my keyboard that was made by merc more than five years ago. It is almost the exact same product now as it was then as far as I can tell, and for me that is a big plus. Once you get used to gaming with the extended pad, it is hard to go back to a normal keyboard. So, I am giving it an extra star for consistency.

The illumination is very low key but visible which I like. It is dimmer then the original keyboard(less leds or less translucent membrane maybe)
The customization is great and they do a good job of updating the mods for game releases as well. Somebody has been putting out software for these for nearly a decade, and I think you can count on future support as well.
The central keyboard does feel squished together, almost like it is missing an inch or something, but I got used to that years ago.

Sony SMP-N200 Streaming Media Player with Wi-Fi
Sony SMP-N200 Streaming Media Player with Wi-Fi
4 used & new from $44.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Roku who?, February 10, 2012
I have used the first generation Roku for a couple years now I guess, but wanted to upgrade to a media player that supports HD. I went with the SMP-N200 instead of a Roku 2 because I wasn't concerned about the menus since I am used to the PS3 it is based off of and it looks like it blows the Roku 2 out of the water with the hardware. I wanted to be able to use wired internet as an option for better bandwith which you can't do with the Roku. Also, the extra outputs appealed to me. This unit lets me use the component video with a capture card at the same time as HDMI going to my TV for easy recording and viewing. The usb interface is a huge plus as well, letting you hook up external storage.

The complaints about the menus are fair so I am knocking a star off, they are small and have to much negative space, but you do get large text when you hover over something and I don't have that much of a problem with it. Sony is new on the market and they are only a couple of software updates away from being the best device on the market. I don't care for the blue led on the front either, but that is a personal issue.

Still waiting for espn3 to make apps for any of these products besides xbox 360.

Logitech G9X Programmable Laser Gaming Mouse with Precision Grips
Logitech G9X Programmable Laser Gaming Mouse with Precision Grips
Offered by IsaacTronics
Price: $185.00
18 used & new from $49.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but versatile design that I love, February 10, 2012
I have used a logitech G5 for years now, but the buttons finally started sticking on me and the slides were scratched up, so I knew it was time to find something else as much as I hated moving on since this was a discontinued product. Considered the g500 based on the G5, but I don't care for mice with that many buttons which made the G9 appeal more to me. The amount of customization you can do with the setpoint software, as well as the two different grips and weight control make for a mouse that fits anyone. The slim textured grip makes it feel like a G5, and the ability to switch profiles on the mouse, the extra dpi and the 4th sensitivity gear outperform it. Wish I had made the switch before now.

ICY DOCK EZ-Dock Lite MB981U3-1SA 2.5 Inch & 3.5 Inch SATA/IDE USB 3.0 Hard Drive Adapter with Docking Station
Price: $50.79
45 used & new from $39.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it legal to marry a peripheral?, January 15, 2012
After building a new pc that included a motherboard with usb 3.0 tech, I decided to look into a docking station that could take advantage of the transfer speed. I have no less than 15 external drives I have bought throughout the years, and upon getting this I dismantled them all to a hard drive only. It reads everything, and the transfer speed keeps up with everything but SATA 3 drives.

The only complaint I have is that it doesn't power down with your rig.

WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive
WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive
Offered by DoReMiFa
Price: $189.99
21 used & new from $69.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Best price for storage that you can find, January 5, 2012
I used one of these things in the case for a year and had no problems with it. it is quiet and the two white LEDs in the back are unobtrusive. I just use the hard drives now in a USB 3.0 docking station. I don't think there is a better value for a 2 TB hard drive out there. Internal ones will run you more than these, and they are incredibly easy to remove to get a cheaper western digital green HD than you could buy.

EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler M020-00-000234
EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler M020-00-000234

5.0 out of 5 stars Style and Functionality in perfect harmony, December 29, 2011
I hope EVGA continues putting out CPU coolers because this is the best one I have ever had. The aesthetics might not match my future builds, but if possible-I plan to always include one of these in an air cooled systems.

Pros: At idle, my cpu stays within a degree of my motherboard temp now.
I thought the provided thermal grease was nice quality for pre-packaged item.
The instructions are fool-proof.
It is looks amazing.
It is a great item for the price.

Cons: The fan blocks my first sim, but that is just an issue because of my motherboard which is small and I have ram with heatsinks. Any low profile ram could still be used with this because it has plenty of vertical clearance.

Other Thoughts: I do a bunch of video editing that maxes out my CPU for extended periods and decided to upgrade from my stock cooler but was worried about CPU Clearance. This fits a mid ATX case just fine and my CPU at idle is now within a degree of my ambient temperature, around 30 C. Under full load, I have yet to break 43 C and it clears the extra heat within a minute.

I am almost positive this is a rebranding of the 3Rsystem Iceage 120 Boss II Dimpled-Fin Heatsink which has one of the highest scores on frostytech. The mountings, dimensions, fin technology are all the same. It looks like they just changed the way the fans mounted, updated it to a 4 pin fan, and simplified the aesthetic design. But they kept all the features that made it a great Heatsink. If you are thinking about getting an EVGA, read the review for that heat sink there-chances are it is what you are getting.

Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar Home Theater System with Wireless Subwoofer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Video & Audio Center
Price: $239.72
17 used & new from $130.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The sound is great, but the technology is better., December 29, 2011
I am not an audiophile by any means and I have no complaints about the quality. It has more range than expected from the bar and the subwoofer is great too when boosted up. I won't miss my 5:1 system that I subbed out for this when I saw the price drop.

What really impresses me with it is the compatibility and versatility of the system. It is a top of the line source selector for HDMI that will keep you current for years to come and the optical input from your TV lets you use all your old components that you don't want to give up on. The wireless connect to the subwoofer along with the slim design of the bar lets you incorporate a stylish unobtrusive speaker system into your room. I think it is a great system for a person that is looking to slim down their entertainment system without losing much in quality.

Possibly, many of the complaints about this system are coming from people that don't know how to use HDMI with a receiver. Your output device settings are just as important as input, and you could be losing audio channels because you have the wrong settings going out.

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)
by George R. R. Martin
Price: $23.76
294 used & new from $0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars GRRM Losing Momemtum, July 22, 2011
I started these books back in 1998 when I was young and still enjoyed the fantasy genre, and it is one of the few series I kept up with as new books came out. I still think he has a chance of doing something special since he doesn't follow the stock rules that so many other writers of fantasy do, but he is hopelessly mired down in his own work now.

He has two huge problems with this series, and they are never more front and center then they are with 'Dance Of Dragons'. He has no idea what the end of his own story is and he has no desire to write a self-contained book.

Since 'Feast of Crows' and 'Dance With Dragons' were published as separate works covering the same time frame, you would have thought he would have been able to take great strides with the plot, but it is sadly not the case. In earlier works, he would skip events both trivial and monumental and recap them a in one view point. Now he describes every event in every view point, making for an uneventful and unsatisfying read-does he realize how many chapters he has describing what Master Illyrio eats while having none about the Whispering Woods? Most of this book is in adding some details to back stories, introducing some more characters and gearing up for the next work. I can only imagine these are stall tactic because he has no idea where to take the series.

Perhaps the most unsatisfying feature of dance is the five hundred cliff hangers he felt compelled to leave us with. Try this simple formula next time: exposition, confrontation, conclusion. Even if you are writing a series, you can't put out a 1000 page novel of exposition and expect to please anyone. They will be even more displeased when you leave every thread of your plot in a crucial moment.

On a personal note, there are touches he added to this book that I find annoying. Back is the acrobatic Tyrion after a one sentence appearance in Game of Thrones. A hesitance to kill off his characters has emerged along with a propensity for bringing them back. Also, he appears to back step from some of the events he has foreshadowed throughout the series, almost as if he was annoyed that people had guessed them to easily. Whether these are just red herons he threw in along with everything else or precursors to getting rid of the mythology he had hinted at is hard to tell. But I was far far from pleased at many of the twists he does add to 'Dance With Dragons'.

The bottom line is 'Dance With Dragons' needed more time with an editor. The short window between completion and publication made this book suffer, and if he doesn't have an editor that is willing to throw out some of his chapters, he needs to find one willing to stand up to him. He will be better off for it. There are still good chapters in this that will tide over the starving fans of the series, but it is far from what fans wanted after the long wait from 'Storm of Swords'.