Profile for Kids8MyBrain > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kids8MyBrain RSS Feed (Flint, MI USA)

Master Plumber PS2673 Popup Center Assembly
Master Plumber PS2673 Popup Center Assembly
Price: $6.22
9 used & new from $2.27

3.0 out of 5 stars So - 3 stars in that the product seems like a decent quality, June 30, 2014
I had the same issue as others in that the threads didn't match up. Unfortunately, I couldn't use the old nut as it cracked in half during removal. Because I can't seem to find a replacement nut that will work anywhere, I will need to invest in a whole drain unit.

So - 3 stars in that the product seems like a decent quality, but it doesn't work with the product it claims to work with.

Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play The Great Quarry Climb
Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play The Great Quarry Climb
Offered by It's All For the KIDS!
Price: $50.04
28 used & new from $45.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for my son, but frustrating for me., March 18, 2013
We got this last year and it has been played with on and off since. My son loves it, but doesn't really play with it as is. Rather, he just lines all of his trains up along the track and sends a few down the hill, then it falls apart. But he is enjoying himself.

The problem is that I have to put it together a dozen times a day. The blue part of the track near Owen's winch doesn't stay attached AT ALL and comes off constantly. It comes off if you bump it or even when you send a train down, at times. Secondly - and probably the most irritating for me - is that if you try to hook up extra track to two points on the turn-table, there is no way to get it to fit nicely. Each track attachment shoots off at a different angle and no combination of curves or straight sections work correctly. To get it to fit, I have to wrench the heck out of it and at least one joint will be barely attached. If you plan on hooking up extra track, you might want to invest in a flex-track pack.

But, my 2-almost-3 year old thinks it is super cool.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2013 7:23 AM PDT

Under the Dome: A Novel
Under the Dome: A Novel
by Stephen King
Price: $24.30
344 used & new from $0.60

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm sad to say it just wasn't good.... sorry., December 2, 2009
I feel like I need to apologize for not liking a King novel. I am definitely a Constant Reader (and re-reader!), and I feel a loyalty to the man. However, my final thoughts on the book can be summed up with: "Seriously? Is this just a bad joke on us?" I was so excited to start reading this book, as I have been craving a new story in which to lose myself. Seeing the size of it, I was hoping for a new "Stand" or "Talisman". Teach me to go into something with such high hopes. While parts of it held my attention, I found myself skipping forward and pushing for the end. And as someone who often mourns the end of a book, this is not something I would typically do.

ALERT - SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

My issues with the story are as follows:
-Characters that didn't seem to exist for anything other than to be killed off.
-Outrageous amount of violence. I am not a squeamish person, but there was way more than the story needed, IMO.
-Too many subplots and goings-on that the story seemed messy. I'm not sure there is a way to combine rape, numerous murders, bigotry, drug manufacturing, shady public officials, brain tumors, space aliens, religious freakouts, and more in one story without seeming messy.
-Most of the characters seemed fairly shallow and non-believable.
-And last, but certainly not least..the ending stunk! If it would have been worked into the story all along, I could accept it, but it came totally out of left field. You can't just throw aliens in at the end of the story and call it a resolution - it made no sense! Especially since none of the issues the townsfolk were encountering were directly caused by the aliens. It was a crappy town with crappy people that were made crappier by the dome, but it didn't change who they really were. Now, if there was some mind-control going on with aliens causing the bad behavior, it might have made more sense, but that wasn't the case. Heck, if King had written the dome was put there by god in order to test/purge an "evil" town, I might have even bought that. At least that would have tied in with the crappy people and religious freakouts.

So, to wrap it up, I am giving it two stars because it did keep me occupied for a few days and I needed that. But really... if you are looking for a great read, look somewhere else.

Sorry, again, Mr. King.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2012 12:05 PM PDT

Vaginal Birth After Cesarean: The Smart Woman's Guide to VBAC
Vaginal Birth After Cesarean: The Smart Woman's Guide to VBAC
by Elizabeth Kaufmann
47 used & new from $1.43

1.0 out of 5 stars Steer clear if you are looking for balanced information, November 9, 2009
I saw this book in the library and thought it might clear up some of my questions about VBACs. I was looking for valid statistics and smart advice - possibly even some reassurance. Instead, it read like a guide to elective cesareans.

While I can't dispute the statistics, as I don't have the data, I can say that I felt the author had her own agenda. She would go into details about the cons of a VBAC, but would essentially ignore all of the pros. You can't just throw in a line about surgery being hard on a woman, and call your book balanced. Especially if you go on to use that information to, once again, validate the other choice.

The most offensive part of the book, in my opinion, was when Kaufmann reviewed the reasons women choose one over the other. It was wholly unfair to insinuate that women who choose an elective cesarean are more concerned with the health of their child, while VBACers are more concerned with their birthing experience. While I am sure that each of these things CAN be true, it is insulting to make such a blanket statement. And then to say that women who opt for a VBAC do so mainly because we were meant to feel inadequate! Seriously!! Women make their choices for many reasons - very few of which are outlined in this book.

One thing the book definitely did not go into is the amount of doctors and hospitals banning VBACs and preying on a woman's fear in order to push them into c-sections. Seems like any balanced book on the subject would include that bit of info.