Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for The BookWhisperer > Reviews

Browse

The BookWhisperer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 925

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The BookWhisperer "The BookWhisperer" RSS Feed (Indiana)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Grin and Beard It (Winston Brothers Book 2)
Grin and Beard It (Winston Brothers Book 2)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The BookWhisperer's Review, June 5, 2016
*Note to reader – this review is going to be a scattered review because I have all of this awesomeness running around in my brain and I can’t make it flow because it is just too much. Too much awesomeness. Thanks for making all this awesomeoness, Penny.*

My ode to Penny:

It is ridiculously insane how quickly my life shuts down when a Penny Reid book shows up on my kindle. I feel like I need a “Penny Reid leave” for work when one of her books pop up because I am pretty sure I am useless and they are paying me to daydream about what I have already read and what is to come. I also need to hire a catering company to cook my meals and serve them to me because I don’t want to bother in preparing food or shoveling it into my mouth because I need to read. Priorities people! But my work won’t give me leave and I don’t have the money to pay someone to cook for me so I had to slowly read and digest all shiny words that Penny typed and they spoke to my soul.

This is my tenth book by Penny and they just keep getting better and better. All of her books are wonderful but somehow she sets this high level of awesomeness and surpasses it with each new book that comes out. “Grin and Beard it” is no different.

I know that I have said this before but what I love about all Penny’s characters is that they are just so logical. If something is on their mind, they verbalize it instead of keeping it in and letting it destroy the light of love. They all are mature adults, who rarely have miscommunication problems or knowingly do something to spite the other. They think things through to the end and make their decisions based on a sensible outcome. It is like they are almost real human beings.

On to the characters:

If you read “Beauty and the Mustache” you will remember a few unpleasant stories about Jethro told from his sister Ashley’s perspective. During that book, I thought that I wouldn’t really ever care for him because of what he did to her and his family just seemed unforgivable. However, Penny’s writing of Jethro won me over. He had me swooning throughout the entire book. His attraction to Sienna, a curvy Hollywood writer/actress, was enough to for me to hand over my family heirloom diamond ring and ask him to marry me…wait, flip that…I would totally accept a ring from him in a matter of milliseconds. The way he cared for his family after straightening himself out spoke volumes of his character but then add the way he treats Sienna made him perfect. You will find that Jethro just wants the woman that he wants, that speaks to his heart, no matter who she is just as long as she is his.

Sienna isn’t too shabby herself. Her quick wittedness paired with a strong personality is just the kind of woman that belongs in the Winston clan. Anyone who can win over Cletus (and of course Jethro) and make him fiercely protective her and her relationship with his brother has my vote.

And while Sienna was great and Jethro was handsome and wonderful, I will say that Cletus won my heart. He is this book’s VIP. Something about the loveable weird parts of him (blueberry pancakes) brought the laughter. I am looking forward to see what woman takes his breath away.

In real life thoughts:

I have no idea how six handsome brothers, who are brilliant, musically inclined, well-read and kind-hearted would ever be single in a small town in Tennessee but if there is such a clan, I volunteer as tribute to move down there and, you know, be their company and maybe fall in love with one of them. ☺

To end with a quote:

There is a moment in the book when Sienna receives some bad news and while Jethro doesn’t know what is happening but he knows that she needs to be comforted so he asks Sienna to dance. When she asks why, his response is simple: “Because you want me to hold you, but you don’t know how to ask.” That right there, it left me speechless and in awe. A man who knows what his woman needs even before she does.

Conflicted
Conflicted
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars The BookWhisperer's Review, June 4, 2016
This review is from: Conflicted (Kindle Edition)
*spoilers*

While I feel like Conflicted had a good start of a plot, something that could have really been twisted and contorted in a magnificent way, I felt like it fell shy of its potential.

The characters Lacey and Lucas I just didn’t understand. They have been close friends throughout their childhood and into their young adult years but they didn’t act like friends. Both were very wishy-washy in the commitment of their friendship. Lacey was way too forgiving to Lucas when he would just desert her. The night that they go out and celebrate her internship, he takes her to a strip bar and lets her walk home at 1 o’clock in the morning is the moment I knew that it is not a true friendship because what friend does that? What friend, who has a crush on you but can’t tell you, does that? How in the world can he care for her when he lets her do something dangerous like that? He also has a bad habit of getting too worked up and either leaving her or being a jerk to her. I would say that if he were my friend, we wouldn’t have made it past a year of friendship with his attitude towards me.

Then there is Lacey, who just takes his horrible example of friendship, and only comments on it passive-aggressively. But that is not what this story is about – even though it plays a part in my rating.

The story is about Lacey getting an internship with Lucas’s father, a man who he hates. Lucas never tells Lacey that Aaron is his father or why he hates him. He never tells her that it is a bad idea for her to get wrapped up in him. And on a side note, I would think this would be something that friends would divulge to their best friend and especially if they had feelings for said best friend. While Lacey learns a lot from her internship, she also develops a crush on Aaron and he develops a crush on her. This left my head spinning because while Lacey longs for Lucas, she is making out with his father. While Lucas is hating his father and longing for Lacey, he does nothing about his feelings for either. While Aaron is using Lacey to get to Lucas, he starts to like Lacey.

In the end, it just wasn’t for me. Lacey was just too forgiving of everyone in her life. She never stood up for herself and I need my female lead to be strong and brilliant. Lucas was just rude all the time. I dig broody and secretive but I felt that he could have saved Lacey a lot of hurt if he just opened up at first…and if he wasn’t such a bad friend.

RoomHate
RoomHate
Price: $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars The BookWhisperer's Review, June 4, 2016
This review is from: RoomHate (Kindle Edition)
*Warning: spoilers*

I have read nothing but wonderful reviews for RoomHate and was I expecting that I would be on the same side that it seemed everyone was on but after finishing this book, I realized that I was not.

I do think the synopsis and plot are wonderful – they drew me in and make me purchase this book. I love books that start out with the two characters hating each other and by the end, their relationship is something beautiful and that is what I hoped for in RoomHate. Did I get it, yes. Did I get it the way I wanted it, not really.

Amelia started out as a good character, she continuously was nice to Justin when he stayed at the house with his girlfriend even though he was absolutely horrible to her. I mean I couldn’t even believe that he had any feelings for her besides pure hatred the way that he treated her in the first half. Then comes the second half, after summer is over, and we find that Amelia has just had a child, Bea, and her ex doesn’t want to have any part in their lives so she packs up and goes back to her Nana’s house. There is where Justin finds her and it is like he has two different personalities throughout the second half. One moment he is sweet as pie to Amelia and Bea (well, he is always sweet to Bea) and the next he is calling Amelia a whore for how she is dressing. The best way I can describe their relationship is when things are good, Justin and Amelia are a perfect couple. When things get a little rocky, it just becomes bad. Justin states that he has had feelings for her the whole time he has known her but he never acted liked it when he treated her badly. This part is what brought the book down a few notches for me. It also didn’t help that Amelia became somewhat a needy character throughout the book. She would let herself get worked up over Justin and just rehash the whole situation when I felt that it was completely unnecessary.

However, the moments between Justin and Bea were adorable and it helped me not dislike Justin as much; that and the flashbacks where Justin was a great kid and always looking out for Amelia before she left.

I do feel like there could have been a lot more that would have made this book perfect for me but I am on the minority side because everyone seemed to like RoomHate.
~MC

Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons)
Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The BookWhisperer's Review, June 4, 2016
I loved how this book started out, Rita standing in front of her mother’s restaurant as it burns down and recapping the journal that her mother left for her with a request to jump into a chilly river on a cold New York New Year’s Eve night. After gathering up her siblings, Rita takes off and lands in Harley and meets Jasper – the sexiest man in Harley.

There were parts that I loved about this book and parts that I could have lived without. Let’s start with the loves. I really loved Belmont and his character. Something about the mysteriousness of him captured me the moment he appeared on the page. I feel like his story with Sage is going to be a hot one and I can’t wait.

I loved the sibling fights that start to sway into sibling comradely. Each sibling learning a little more about each other as the trip to NY, and the stranded-ness in Harley, continued.

I was excited because Tessa Bailey always writes amazing, controlling men and I knew that Jasper’s interactions with Rita would be hot and they were – to a point. Sometimes it became too much raunchy than sexy so in those moments I found it hard to get into. I also felt that the flaw that Jasper carried around was confusing. Yes, he didn’t want to be treated the way that town treated him but it didn’t mean that he had to be so confusing to Rita when the moment finally happened. When you read this book, you will understand what I am saying.

I guess the biggest obstacle I had to overcome was Rita. For some reason she and I did not connect as a character and reader. I felt that at the beginning, her standing in front of the fire was her most vulnerable moment in the book. The most human like moment but then I felt that there was no other moment for her. I didn’t like her with Jasper because I didn’t like her character. She felt one dimensional to me. (I want you to know how much this pains me to say because Tessa Bailey is one of my favorites.)

I know this sounds like I didn’t enjoy the book but I will say that I did. It set up what I hope to be another great series by Tessa Bailey. *Can’t wait for Belmont!!!* I do love Tessa Bailey and her writing but this book wasn’t my favorite…and that happens sometimes.
~MC

Dirty Sexy Secret (Green County Book 1)
Dirty Sexy Secret (Green County Book 1)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The BookWhisperer's Review, June 4, 2016
EEEPPP! I have waited and longed for this book and I didn't even know how much I needed it until I finished it last night. There is so much happening in this story that I am going to break it down into two sections but also leave out any spoilers because I want you to experience the greatness like I did.

First section, the plot: Amazing is the only word that I need to say. N can seriously plot out some intricate tales and weave all of their goodness together for our personal enjoyment and discovery as readers.

For instance, the back-story to Hazel, Archer, and Eli was so intriguing that I found myself immediately in love with all three characters and craved for the time when they would find happiness because life kinda owed it to them. However, life doesn’t get that memo.

This book isn't just about a girl named Hazel who shouldn't love a boy named Archer and their struggle as they grow up still craving each other. This is about so much more than their forbidden love. The underlying story is dark and brilliant and interweaves itself throughout the whole town, bringing it all together in the end with a promise of more to come.

Second section, the characters: Archer = holy moly hot and Eli is not far behind. Both are wonderful characters that held their own throughout the story and each containing a huge amount of intrigue. They have always been protectors of Hazel and are now protectors of Green County, serving as detectives. Their world gets knocked out of orbit by Hazel’s return home and a multi-homicide case. Hazel, a reporter, gets pulled into the dark story of the county (not willing) and is on the case due to the threats on her family's lives. So, yeah, a corrupt county, a gritty story, and forbidden loves (yep, plural!) make this book one of favorites by N.

I don't think I have come across a book from N that made me just feel - reread that sentence because I said, "just feel." N’s books make me feel beyond a level of just feel. In DSS, I felt like I was in the mix of everything. How N wrote these characters made me feel like I was inside of them, living their lives, feeling their fear and their wants. I was experiencing these heart-pounding moments when things got intense and things got intense! So someone hand this women a trophy...no, for real, hand it to her because she deserves it for this book and for every book she has written and more than likely every book she will ever write.
~MC

The Score (Off-Campus) (Volume 3)
The Score (Off-Campus) (Volume 3)
by Elle Kennedy
Price: $15.00
26 used & new from $12.25

5.0 out of 5 stars The BookWhisperer, May 17, 2016
I have been waiting to read this book and my want would up every time someone would post a wonderful review. I knew that I was going to love Dean and Allie’s story because I had loved the other Off-Campus books, so when a time frame popped open for me to read this book – I totally jumped on it.

Two days; it only took two days for me to zip through this book and realize that not only “The Score” but also the whole series is just amazing. Dean and his casual ways with women is everything that Allie doesn’t do but hiding from her ex brings them together and Allie finds that casual isn’t so bad. But this casual builds daily and Dean and Allie find themselves reliant on each other but they keep it a secret, lying to their friends and themselves so their relationship isn’t drawn in the sand and real.

Dean is the perfect bad boy that hides this wonderful man inside – of course he is the kind of guy that all women want. He plays hockey, he is book smart, he lives wildly, and he is sexy. But the best part about him is the way he treats Allie. So very loving to her, so very protective of her, he has a hidden heart of gold. And that heart of gold starts to shine around Allie, the girl who teaches him that there is more to relationships than just casual hookups.

Allie-cat rocked! She knew what she wanted, she stood up for her future, and she didn’t take crap. This part is very important because while you will love the moments between Dean and Allie together, and you will laugh at the banter between them, and you will sweat a little when things get a little dirty, there is one very important message in this book and it is slut shaming. Allie gets handed a rough speech for her casual hook up and I thought that Elle Kennedy did a wonderful job shutting down the hater and the biasness that happens in this world.

Great book….great series….and I am so looking forward to Tucker’s story next.
~MC

The Player and the Pixie (Rugby) (Volume 2)
The Player and the Pixie (Rugby) (Volume 2)
by L.H Cosway
Price: $13.43
26 used & new from $7.63

5.0 out of 5 stars The BookWhisperer's Review, April 28, 2016
I feel like this review is just going to be a lot of babbling about how much I love this book, and how much I adore the authors, and how everything just was amazing – so I am going to try to not do that so you will be able to read a coherent review. But I did love the book. And I do adore the authors. And it was SO amazing! And I have waiting and waited for this book to come out. Monday when the ARC popped up on my kindle, I literally had a freak out moment. Everything that I was doing stopped, the world stopped (well, my world) and I started reading. *sighs* I wish I could un-read it and then read it again.

L.H. Cosway and Penny Reid are like Mulder and Scully, Holmes and Watson, or peanut butter and jelly – individually, they are perfect. Together they are an unstoppable force of creative and brilliant writing!

I honestly can’t say that there wasn’t a single thing that I didn’t love about this book. In some cases, I will find a few scenes that I wish didn’t happen and will happily try to ignore them and focus on the book as a whole because I know that you can never have a perfect book or be completely satisfied with one. However, this one is perfect and I wouldn’t make any changes.

Sean and Lucy were fantastic characters that were multi-dimension and realistic throughout. There was never a moment that I thought, “Ugh, that wouldn’t happen” or “Seriously?” I spent most of my time devouring the pages and never wanting it to end.

So without giving anything away, I just want to say that if you enjoyed The Hooker and the Hermit or any of the author’s books that you will not be disappointed with this one. The Player and the Pixie is a no-brainer one-click purchase. You will be so happy – trust me.

Oh, and the little snippet that they included for their next book in the series…ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME WITH THE WAITING?! I need that book and I need it now!

The Eden Trilogy: Omnibus Edition
The Eden Trilogy: Omnibus Edition
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Keary Taylor Does it Again, April 27, 2016
I was captivated by this series after my first glimpse in The Raid. This new world novel is something unlike anything else that we have experienced in the blossom zombie novels. The concept of robots taking over at first glimpse might seem a little outlandish, but I firmly believe Keary Taylor can make anything work. She created a story that slowly introduces you into an alternate reality. One in which technology is quite literally almost the end of human kind. The only chance of survival is the very things about us that make us human, and our ability to process thought unlike computers. Taylor incorporates a suspenseful love story between Avian, West, and Eve that will keep us guessing. I personally fell in love with all three of these characters, and could find reasons for the outcome to sway either way. Eve is a power house character, and I love Taylor's ability to create her soft and hard all at the same time. This is a young woman that knows how to take you down, but she will only at the cost of those she loves. Avian and West are both wonderful men that prove time and time again the lengths at which they are willing to go to be the protector. It is almost impossible to choose, and I must add that I personally chose wrong. The conclusion was not at all what I had expected, and I love a story that can turn the tables on me. Eden is a powerful post apocalyptic story about hope and survival. There are many lows of heartache, but this is a book of progress. I am anxious to continue and see just where this story will take us.
~BookWhisperer Reviewer Jax~

The Bane (The Eden Trilogy Book 1)
The Bane (The Eden Trilogy Book 1)
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Amazing Ride with Keary Taylor, April 27, 2016
~BookWhisperer Reviewer Jax~

Paper Princess: A Novel (The Royals Book 1)
Paper Princess: A Novel (The Royals Book 1)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The BookWhisperer, April 24, 2016
HOLY S***AKE MUSHROOM! Blown away is the only thing I can say right now. Let’s hope that I am coherent enough to do this book justice in this review.

From the very beginning I was hooked and curious and filled with all sorts of emotions. Ella has had a crappy life and when a too good to be true opportunity comes, she is hesitant but not dumb to where she doesn’t take it. This leads to her becoming apart of the Royal family where money does grow on trees. If you think that this is going to be a sappy, “oh, look, she is finally happy and has everything she deserves” kind of book then you are wrong. It is like every teenage soap I watched when I was younger, which is probably why I ate this book up. Combine The O.C., Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, and Cruel Intentions and you have hierarchy, rich spoiled snobs, sex and drugs, lost teenager kind of book but so much better.

You would think that it would be an easy life for Ella but after meeting the five Royal sons and Reed Royal declaring his “Royal Decree” against Ella, it doesn’t get easier at all. Getting constantly knocked down and clawing her way back up again is all Ella can do and it keeps getting harder after she starts to see who her “brothers” truly are inside. And it especially once feelings start to brew.

Now I will say that the ending of this book left me with my mouth hanging open and immediately investigating to when the next book is going to come out. It is not a secret that it ends with a cliffhanger but for some reason it felt like the cliffhanger of all cliffhangers. Crap happens through this entire book, and then a little ray of sunshine shines down and you get this warm feeling like life will be good and then BOOM…that last page comes and boy is it a doozy.

So let’s recap: I loved the book and am completely invested in the characters and I need the second book now please. Pretty please… 5 Stars

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20