Profile for Stephen L. Gifford > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stephen L. Gifford RSS Feed

The 30 Day Guide to Paleo Cooking: Entire Month of Paleo Meals
The 30 Day Guide to Paleo Cooking: Entire Month of Paleo Meals
by Bill Staley
Price: $19.96
69 used & new from $8.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction to the Paleo principles, June 21, 2013
I have been eating following the Paleo guidelines for almost two years now. To say that it has changed my life would be an understatement. I have been transformed by following the guidelines of the Paleo diet. This book makes one of the clearest, and easiest to understand. The book includes meal plans and shopping lists to help with making the first few trips to the store. It also gives real on the ground advice for making the transition over to eating Paleo. For the recipes the book is full of delicious things to try. The instructions are clear and the photography makes the dishes leap off the pages. I have only tried a couple of things so far but can't wait to make more of the amazing choices offered. I have two family members that will be trying to make the transition for themselves because their insurance is going to penalize them if they don't lose weight. I'm giving them a copy of this book first to make the changes they need to.

Paleo for Fighters
Paleo for Fighters
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great information for highly active Paleo eaters, May 9, 2013
The book is a good overview of the Paleo mindset when it comes to nutrition and will help anyone looking to transition into the lifestyle. But where it is better is when you look into the needs of someone that has to make weight. This works for Fighters, but also as a wrestler this is great advice for someone in season as well. Staying learn but keeping your strength is essential and here tips and tricks to making sure that you have cut all you can without making a sacrifice in the ring or on the mat are available throughout. The advice is well written and it is an easy and quick read to get the basics but you can go back again and get all the information you need in specifics later.

Merrell Men's Barefoot Trail Glove,Olympia,10.5 M US
Merrell Men's Barefoot Trail Glove,Olympia,10.5 M US

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all around shoe, but winters are cold., February 24, 2013
I've had these for a week and so far I love them. I made the move from a pair of F-Lite 195s so I was already in minimalist shoes. I really love the zero drop and they are super comfortable. I teach and wear them in the classroom and standing all day my feet are feeling great when the day ends. The shoes also have great grip outside even in this winter weather and while they can be a little cold, just add socks to your winter wardrobe choices and shed them when it warms up.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Turtles in Time (Triple Feature) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Judith Hoag
Price: $12.49
60 used & new from $5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Turtle Power, February 24, 2013
I grew up on these movies and while the third one jumps the shark, the other two are great. I love the movies and watching them in HD is great. The discs look nice and the packaging looks good on my shelf. How can you argue with three movies from your childhood for such a price.

For Sony NP-BG1 DSC-W120 W170 Cybershot Battery Charger
For Sony NP-BG1 DSC-W120 W170 Cybershot Battery Charger
Offered by Globalprice
Price: $4.99
4 used & new from $2.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it should for the price, February 24, 2013
I had to get a replacement because the first one set itself on fire after 30 seconds of being plugged in for the first time, but this one works ok. It does what it should and it's cheap.

A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master"
by Rachel Held Evans
Price: $11.33
134 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Year of Biblical Womanhood: From the single guy's perspective, October 20, 2012
Let's start by saying that as a single male I am likely the most unlikely of readers for a book of Biblical Womanhood. I feel as though there's not really a leg for me to stand on in this discussion. But when the chance to be a part of the launch team came up for the new book by author Rachel Held Evans I jumped at the chance. I've been a reader of her blog for years now, and I've been impressed by the way she takes on gender issues among Christians today. During the year she was living the project I kept up with the blog so coming into the book I knew some of the details of what had been going in over the course of that year. I jumped into the book with both feet, not really expecting any major ah ha moments, but looking for a read that would entertain and maybe give me a few things to better understand the project. I have previously finished the A. J. Jacobs book A Year of Living Biblically and hoped that this book would offer many of the same experiences. Getting into the Kindle version of my book I was drawn in quickly by the style that Rachel uses which moves from the blog to book form very well. The stories each had something to say to me, and as a surprise Dan got to speak too, and his journal entries were especially good at providing the male perspective to what was going on in the house that month. I tore through the book in just two days, it seemed like I couldn't put it down, always wanting to know what else was going to happen to Team Dan and Rachel, and looking forward to how the two of them would take on the challenges of life as Rachel tried to live out Biblical Womanhood, whatever that is.
Rachel divided the year into taking on one virtue a month, she also had commandments that she was to live by every day. For every month there was a short list of what she was going to do that month, and as I read through each chapter I came to appreciate Rachel's humor through the process as some of these seemed rather ridiculous. Each month did bring something to the table for me, from a better understanding of the upbringing that I had in relation to male and female roles, to looking for the presence of God in more than just the big moments of life, to reserving my judging looks when I see people that I would label "fundamentalist" while I'm out in public. There were many other lessons along the way. The things I learned from this book would make this little review far too long to be of much use to anyone so below I'm going to mention of few of the things I took from the book and discuss them shortly.
-I don't reserve my judgment on certain groups, and I make it known that I feel superior to them because I don't agree with their stance. These groups include people such as the Duggar family and those of the "quiverful movement" as well as groups that require women to only wear skirts, keep their hair long, or any other restriction that I feel is repressive. From the book I found that I need to respect these groups enough to not judge them when I see them out in public, and that we need to just agree to disagree on some of these points.
-I came to a better understanding of some of the well and also the not so well known characters of the Bible, the time that Rachel took to highlight these women made me appreciate their stories even more if I knew them, but also made me seek out learning more about some of them that I didn't know as much about. Also these stories reminded me of the differences in all these groups and how absurd it is that we think that there's one way of "Biblical Womanhood"
-I have to admit a bit of jealousy over the interactions between Dan and Rachel, you can tell that they have a strong bond between them and that they're marriage works well. That it was able to make it through such a challenging project with such strength and grace made me wonder about why my relationships don't reflect that. In the end I came to see that there's a good part of that resting on me and my need to become a better man build relationships that have such a strong foundation. I also came to really hope that I have a relationship built on such equality between two people, seeing the way the two of them made life work and were able to stand on equal footing made me hopeful for my future relationships. As a competitive person so much of my life has a winner and a loser, even into relationships, letting go of that and understanding that when one of us wins we both do in making things work is something that will help the future RangerSteve be a better husband.
-A much better understanding of the Jewish viewpoint, so much of what I was taught growing up was building on the conservative interpretation of the New Testament, looking at what the Jewish faith has to say about men and women meant a lot to me and changed some of the ways that I think about women in the church, but also how I relate to them in everyday situations. Things like the Jewish understanding of a "woman of valor" and how that's not something that is earned but is my responsibility to praise my future girlfriends and eventually wife for all that they do and how they take on all the tasks of daily life that make them women of valor.
Those are the biggest points that I will take from my reading of A Year of Biblical Womanhood, as a single guy I think that is a lot for a book obviously not targeting my demographic to communicate. It's weird for me to spend time reading more books like this as I had left much of my reading on matters of faith behind when I left Bible College. But the past year has really brought me back to wanting to open those doors again and look at what I believe and what it means to me. The stories that made their way into the book are just a short glimpse into the life of Rachel and the rest of her family, not only Dan but the rest of the extended family and friends as well. I'm sure that there are many more stories than could ever fit in the book and some of them I'm sure had to be locked away never to be mentioned outside the family for sure. Dan's perspective helped me to look at things from the side of the husband and what it was like to try to live with a woman so radically changing her everyday life to conform to instructions written thousands of year ago. I wonder if there's more to be said from Dan latter on about what it was like living through the project.
After finishing the book and having some time to reflect on it, I believe that it is a way for us to reopen a dialog about what it means to be both male and female in the church today. Our models of what each group should do seem to be stuck in the 50s in many churches, and to me it seems like these congregations are held back by limiting the participation of the women in a more leadership role in the church. At the very least this books brings up many interesting points about how different groups deal with the relationship of male and female roles inside of faith, what changes will come from it I have no idea. I do however have high hopes that this work will inspire new groups of women to look to have a larger impact through expanded influence both inside and outside of churches around the world.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2013 10:06 PM PST

Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion
Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion
by Bill Staley
Price: $25.79
63 used & new from $12.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have paleo cookbook, September 22, 2012
The book is nearly 500 pages long; it's big and heavy and looks awesome. From the very first page I was drawn into the work by the great photography that is throughout the work. Getting into the first few pages I was struck by how well organized everything was, it was a simple setup to allow the real star of the book to shine, the food. Every page had images of at least one of the dishes that you could find in the book. Reading through the beginning pages I wanted to skip ahead, and see what it was that I was going to need to dive into when I got into the kitchen. I took the time to read everything, and I'm happy I did. I wouldn't have wanted to miss the introduction that is given before you get into the nuts and bolts of Paleo. Both Hayley and Bill tell their stories and it really connected me to the book, I understood where they were coming from and how they found Paleo and each other. I was invested in the work; I wanted to know more about them and about the food that they are so passionate about. Passing the story they tell they jump into a very clear idea of what they are saying when they talk about Paleo, they acknowledge that there are other definitions used by people, but they want to be clear what they are talking about. I always want to know how people structure their own ancestral approach to eating. Sometimes it's very similar to mine, other times it's different, I like to know that from the start.

Moving forward you get into the practical side of things, first up is how to stock your kitchen. If you're going to make this food you are definitely going to need some stuff. Again the instructions are clear on what you should get, why you should go with one product or another, and some of the uses that you will have for that ingredient. I loved the way that the fats were discussed especially, not only covering what fats, but what they were good for, and what they were not good for. Talking about the fats and how to use them is always good because when you go Paleo you're leaving the one size fits all approach of cheap vegetable oil behind. Again pictures were numerous and really helped me remember what I was reading as I worked through the book. Now that you've got your stuff it's time to make some food. But where do you begin, the book has so many recipes that you could eat for weeks and not get through them all. As with the book up to this point the pictures look great and really draw you in. The instructions are clear, and make it so that each recipe seems easy enough for anyone to take on. Some of the pages have a bit about a personal connection to the particular dish and that really helped me to remember the foods that connected me to people. Remembering various memories of myself in the kitchen with family members, and special occasions I was reminded of how central food is to us. One dish that did not have a connection to the authors but does to me is Chocolate pie, it is my Father's favorite dessert and I've been looking for a way to make that into something that I can share with him again. I'm looking forward to this Thanksgiving when I can make the version found in Make It Paleo and make new memories together. Throughout each recipe it is clear that Bill and Hayley have a deep love for food and health and bringing the two together through eating Paleo. I look forward to working my way through the various recipes that I have already tagged as must make soon, and then sharing those foods with my family and friends when they spend time with me.

Overall the book is a great addition to anyone's collection of Paleo works. I put it up there as a go to for someone like myself that has been doing this for a while and needs to spice it up a bit in the kitchen. The work also works great as an introduction to Paleo, the explanations are clear and the process of making the dishes is explained well. You do not have to be a trained chef to pull off these dishes; just have a love for food and a willingness to let your eyes draw you into the beautiful dishes that you can make. I look forward to bringing this book back with me to Illinois and using it to produce great meals for the rest of my family as I try to get them onto the Paleo wagon with me.

Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
by Diane Sanfilippo BS NC
Price: $23.36
100 used & new from $14.69

5.0 out of 5 stars A year into paleo, this book still offered new ideas, August 26, 2012
I've been eating Paleo for over a year now. I started with Paleo Solution and have read other books throughout the year. When this book came out I thought that I would get it for the recipes to try new things and also to see about getting some foods that my family might try to get them to come over to Paleo with me. This book offers way more than just a few food ideas. The first section of the book covered lots of information. Some good reminders but other information that is great well grounded advice even for someone that considers themselves a "seasoned" Paleo eater. Thanks for the great book, meal ideas, and rock solid advice on meal planning and stocking your kitchen.

The Silent Sea (The Oregon Files)
The Silent Sea (The Oregon Files)
by Clive Cussler
386 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept me entertained, June 21, 2010
I've been reading Cussler since I was a kid, and it serves as a great distraction while I'm traveling. I enjoyed the book and read it over the weekend on a trip to visit the family. The story brought me in pretty quick and it reminded me of reading his older books while I was growing up.