Profile for Robert de Neufville > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert de Neufville RSS Feed (Berkeley, CA USA)

To The 5 Boroughs
To The 5 Boroughs
Offered by FIRELIGHT
Price: $24.91
155 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars You know it's all ball!, June 20, 2004
This review is from: To The 5 Boroughs (Audio CD)
It has been a long time since I liked a CD this much. To me it has some of the same feel as Check Your Head. It's neither as raw nor as gloriously juvenile as CYH, but a tight, mature CYH is a pretty great thing. And I don't think that the fact that they have a political agenda to push really detracts from either the music or the overall message. Although here isn't a single that will hold the radio like Body Movin or Hey Ya! on the album, top to bottom it's better and more listenable than either Hello Nasty or Outkast's Speakerboxx/The Love Below--both of which were great albums. Anyway, I was sold when they rhymed about Riunite on ice.

The San Francisco Comic Strip Book of Big-Ass Mocha
The San Francisco Comic Strip Book of Big-Ass Mocha
by Don Asmussen
26 used & new from $0.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and lunatic, May 14, 2004
This is a great, great book. Incredibly funny, and very San Francisco. I will buy any book he writes.

Against the Grain: How Agriculture Has Hijacked Civilization
Against the Grain: How Agriculture Has Hijacked Civilization
by Richard Manning
43 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A polemic in the best sense, March 26, 2004
This is one of the most stimulating, interesting books I have read in years. When I came across Manning's article ("The Oil We Eat") in the February, 2004 issue of Harper's it affected me profoundly, and I immediately went out and bought this book. Taking his cue from Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel and Alfred Crosby's Ecological Imperialism, Manning argues that we are effectively the tools of what a system of what he calls "catastrophic agriculture" as the other way around. From an evolutionary perspective this system has been very successful: we and the whole complex of our domesticated ecology have not only survived but have remade the world in our image. But to say the system has been successful is not at all the same as saying it is good for us as individuals or is sustainable in the long run. Whatever you think of his argument--this is much more an argumentative than an academic book--it may well radically change the way you think about the economy, the ecology, and our place in it. Manning's perspective is an important and valuable one, well worth thinking about.

The Restructuring of Social and Political Theory
The Restructuring of Social and Political Theory
by Richard J. Bernstein
Price: $22.28
72 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential work on the nature of the social sciences, May 1, 2000
Not very many people seem to read this book, which is a shame. In my opinion, this is a book that every serious academic social scientist should read. Bernstein takes on the difficult but extremely important--as well as largely neglected--question of how the social sciences differ from the natural sciences. The book is divided into four parts, which deal roughly deal with naturalist theories, linguistic theories, phenomenology, and critical theory in that order. He has an extraordinary gift for making clear even the most subtle ideas and manages to deftly summarize material that otherwise would be extremely difficult. In the process, he gets to the heart of complex ideas and neatly illuminates the essential problem each has.