Profile for D. Jackson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 34

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Jackson "Doug" RSS Feed (Ann Arbor, MI USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM ClearStream 2-V Long Range UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor DTV Antenna with 20-Inch Mount
Offered by AZDeals
Price: $97.99
14 used & new from $70.92

2.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS - Not as great as I hoped, April 29, 2013
My old directional rooftop antenna is OK with reception. I LIVE WITHIN LESS THAN 40 MILES OF DETROIT AND LANSING STATIONS. The majority of reviews said the AD Clearstream C2-V pulled in distant TV stations in varying directions and that they couldn't believe how many stations they could get. So I ordered this (recommended by the Antennas Direct website for my address). It says it has a 50+ mile range. I tested it along with my old roof UHF-VHF directional antenna both with and without a pre-amp. I checked the US FCC and AntennaPoint websites to get the proper direction to point my antenna on the roof. I had the antennas mounted on a mast and a converter box and TV on the roof with me to reduce the amount of signal loss through the coax cables. Sadly, regardless of the direction I pointed the C2-V, its signals were far weaker than my old antenna. I could only pull in half the stations that my old antenna got. I called Antennas Direct and they said that because of the topography of my area (SE Michigan is hardly mountainous) that I would be much better off using my old antenna. They told me that the old directional UHF-VHF antennas (with all those horizontal members and the V shaped UHF reflectors typically seen on rooftops 10 or more years ago) have a much higher gain than the C2-V. So much for "super antenna". They suggested I return the C2-V and stick with what I have. I suppose if you lived across some VERY flat land or water from the broadcast tower, or lived on a mountain top, AND needed a compact antenna, then this would be OK for that. If your current rooftop antenna is doing OK, don't expect anything better from the C2-V. A new pre-amp helps a lot more than the C2-V.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2014 3:45 PM PDT

Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip for Pentax K-7 K-5 K-5ii K-5iis Digital SLR
Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip for Pentax K-7 K-5 K-5ii K-5iis Digital SLR
Offered by Adorama Camera
Price: $189.00
6 used & new from $159.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your $$ on knockoffs, December 5, 2012
I bought this Pentax grip to replace a Chinese knockoff 3rd party grip that I originally had with my K5. The knockoff looked identical in almost every way to the Pentax. However the buttons and wheels on the Pentax feel much more like the quality hardware on the K5, and the battery door tab is thick and solid as it is on the K5. The knockoff battery door tabs were very flimsy and I had to take care that I not twist too hard lest they break. The knockoff literature said it was weather sealed, but there was absolutely no weather sealing on the battery door, whereas its obvious on the Pentax grip. The knockoff constantly gave me problems. Fist the buttons were not working most of the time. I fixed that by adjusting the connections to the shutter button inside the grip. It was working fine for a while then my camera would not even recognize the grip when installed, unless it was on very loosely. In trying to diagnose the connectivity problems I wound up inadvertently frying the electronics in it somewhere. I was now left with a choice to buy another knockoff for around $30-$50 or buy the genuine Pentax for $200. Though I was not happy to depart with $200, the Pentax grip has proved to be worth every penny, and I expect it to last the life of my K5 if not longer.

Take my word on this. Where it can be very tempting to buy a far less expensive grip, my experience as well as countless other reviewers who tried the 3rd party grips, prove that you'd be wasting your money on the knockoff brands and are better off forking over the $$ for the genuine Pentax grip. You won't be sorry.

Tripod Reducer Bushing 2-Pack
Tripod Reducer Bushing 2-Pack
Offered by aSavings
Price: $5.95
2 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Pair of tripod reducers: 3/8 to 1/4, November 26, 2012
These seem to be of good quality and well machined. There seem to be two types of reducers available. One type is a straight threaded reducer with the screwdriver slot cut into each end. These are the other type that have a flat bevel with the screwdriver slot on one end and ordinary threads on the other end. The flat bevel does not show that obviously in the photos. I prefer not to have the bevels, but if I can carve some space in the tripod quick release pad around the tripod screw, I may still be able to use these. These were shipped from Hong Kong, but surprisingly arrived after only 3 weeks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2013 5:57 PM PDT

Tenergy 8 pcs C Size 5000 mAh high capacity high rate NiMH Rechargeable batteries
Offered by Battery Superstore
Price: $32.99
3 used & new from $30.99

5.0 out of 5 stars These 5000mAh Are Perfect, November 26, 2012
I bought these C Size 5000 mAh high capacity high rate NiMH Rechargeable batteries to power a high powered Sunpak 622 camera flash. The batteries arrived fully charged. The flash charged up and recharges quickly now - seems to be quicker than the rechargeable pack or alkaline batteries. I will post any updates after I have used these for a longer period. But as of now, they seem perfect for my needs.

IR Wireless Remote Control for PENTAX Q, PENTAX DSLR (645D, K-5 II, K-5 II s, K-50, K-30, K-500, X-5, K-m, K-r, K-x, K-01, K-5, K-7, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K2000) *ist (D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2) + Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth
Price: $6.99
2 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic IR remote for PENTAX, November 26, 2012
I'm giving this 5 stars for the simple reasons that for the price ($5) and that it works as advertised, I couldn't ask for anything else. I tested it to work from an unobstructed distance in excess of 20'from both the front and rear sensors on my K5. The auto-focus function works with the "W/T" button on the remote; the shutter with the "S". The shutter will release without pre-focus if "S" button is pressed first. It seems vulnerable to battery drain if it is stored in a camera bag where the buttons could easily be pressed while tucked away. To solve this, I put a slip of paper over the top of the battery before reinserting the battery into the remote. I'll just have to remember to remove it before attempting to use the remote again. The battery holder is a bit awkward to remove. It involves pinching in one tab with one finger or thumb, and pushing in another with another finger, then pulling the little battery drawer out.

Albinar 49mm Universal Telematic Wide/Zoom 3 Position Rubber Lens Hood
Albinar 49mm Universal Telematic Wide/Zoom 3 Position Rubber Lens Hood
Offered by GoShot Camera
Price: $5.95
2 used & new from $5.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of CRAP, November 2, 2012
WARNING! Don't waste your money on this junk. The threads are not milled correctly and are rough. They barely fit into my metal lens threads and don't even thread into the plastic ones - feeling like its about to strip them! The rubber hood is very loose on the thread ring and sometimes just falls off. I bought the Fotodiox version of this, after, and am much happier with that brand.

Fotodiox Lens Hood, 49mm 3-Section Rubber Lens Hood
Fotodiox Lens Hood, 49mm 3-Section Rubber Lens Hood
Price: $7.95
3 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and great price, November 2, 2012
I ordered this after receiving a very poor quality hood of similar design marketed under the Zykkor name. The Fotodiox is far superior in quality - threading very smoothly - and has a great price! The 3 positions hold well. I have no complaints and highly recommend this to anyone.

Zeikos ZE-LH77 77mm Soft Rubber Lens Hood - Black
Zeikos ZE-LH77 77mm Soft Rubber Lens Hood - Black
Price: $6.00
8 used & new from $0.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Hood, October 30, 2012
The price was great so I had to try this. It holds each 3 positions well and seems to be a quality and durable product. I'm very happy with it.

Hitech - Plastic Adapter Shells Convert Any AA Battery To Work In a C Size Compartment - 4 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Work and fit great., October 30, 2012
These are simple and work great. I haven't tried them in every c-cell application, but they fit in the camera flash unit I have that I bought these for. They don't seem to be any larger than a regular c-cell - which has been a complaint of other brand adapters.

The Camera Hunter Pentax K Mount Camera to M42 Screwmount Lens Adapter Ring
The Camera Hunter Pentax K Mount Camera to M42 Screwmount Lens Adapter Ring

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't worry. It works great on my K-5, October 30, 2012
I've been reading a lot of the reviews on various K to M42 adapters and found a lot of them saying they don't work on the K-5s or KAF3 mounts, or that they get stuck and the owner has to disassemble his camera to get it off, or the threads leave metal shavings, etc. Yikes, I don't want any of those problems with my expensive Pentax K-5! I only saw 2 reviews for this product that were rather generic and nondescript, but postive none the less.

So I order one of these Camera Hunter adapters. The price was right and shipping was free with Amazon Prime. Being cautious and skeptical, I first tried it on my old and trusty K1000. No probelms. I then cautiously tried it on my K-5. It fits great and works like it should! Wheh! The adapter seems to be well machined; it has no burring and the threads and bayonets glide smoothly with the camera and lenses. It locks securely, too.

The only reason I'm not giving this 5 stars (which the adapter by itself deserves) is because of the handy(?) tool that comes with it. The tool works great to twist the adapter into place. But the little pins on the other side - which I find work better for unlocking the spring clip and removing the adapter than the notches on the other side - are too far apart to fit into both adapter openings simultaneously. So I need to use my super-human strength (not really) to bend the tool to about a 30 degree angle so that the pins are the right distance to effectively work well in removing the adapter. The metal is not too difficult to bend, but why should I have to bend it in the first place? I just hope it doesn't get metal fatigue and break on me prematurely. I don't plan on using the adapter that frequently. I suppose a set of tweezers could work, too. In the old Pentax instructions for THEIR adapter, they suggest using a ball-point pen as a tool - I don't want to use something that could spill ink in my camera, but tweezers could be another option. Another reason to demote the rating to 4 stars is that there a NO instructions with the product either. But if you're used to using Pentax, you know to line up the orange dots. I suggest setting the spring-clip end in first and let the rest fall into place. Experiment with the tool. Maybe you'll discover a better method?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4