Profile for J. Bakker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Bakker RSS Feed (Mt. Pleasant, MI USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The River: A Pastor Stephen Grant Novel
The River: A Pastor Stephen Grant Novel
by Raymond J. Keating
Price: $12.59
14 used & new from $12.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Pastor Grant is real., May 22, 2014
It's true - Pastor Stephen Grant is REAL.

Okay, not real in that there's a guy named Stephen Grant who worked for the CIA and is now an LCMS pastor, but rather, in this book, Pastor Grant undergoes serious character development, showing the anguish of the soul that knows right, loves right, loves God, and yet wants and does evil. Lutherans speak of it as the 'simul' and it is too often over simplified, but author Ray Keating gives it a healthy fleshing out in the novel without making it sound contrived or overly dogmatic.

The things I've come to love about Pastor Stephen Grant novels are all here - friendly jokes amidst the characters, smooth integration of theology into the lives of the characters, and a thrilling plot! Definitely worth the wait since 'An Advent for Religious Liberty', and a super read for anyone interested in a well-written novel that goes deeper than most.

Clue - The Great Museum Caper
Clue - The Great Museum Caper
Offered by BetterBargains4U
Price: $115.00
46 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic strategy game!, January 1, 2014
For 2-4 players, this is an addictive game!

My wife grew up playing this and was so happy when we found it used on Amazon. The game takes place on a three dimensional, attractive plastic board. The pieces are nice, but the paintings could be a bit more durable.

One person plays the thief, and the others try to catch him/her. It's pretty slick, and very well balanced. You have a pretty equal chance, it seems, to either get away (if you're the thief) or catch the thief. Lots of fun. Comparable to Scotland Yard.

Reading for Preaching
Reading for Preaching
Price: $10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read!, January 1, 2014
I'm a pastor and a reader, and enjoyed this very much. It's not the most profoundly original book ever written - exposition upon a literary 'you are what you eat' - but it was certainly worth reading. It helped me plan to expand my appetite for books, blogs, poetry, etc..

Fellow preachers, if your preaching is stale, one thing to think about is what you are reading. Trying to preach on an empty tank is only draining you and your hearers. Do them and yourself a favor and read this book, and then read others. The suggestions here are a great start. Of course, there's more, and I encourage you to read it, too!

Masterpiece Theatre: Jane Eyre
Masterpiece Theatre: Jane Eyre
DVD ~ Ruth Wilson
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $29.69
6 used & new from $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife made me give this 5 stars..., January 1, 2014
...and if she could, she'd make me give it 6 stars.

I don't like Jane Eyre, but my wife does. She owns several versions of this film, but prefers this above all the rest. Don't take it from me, take it from her - if you like Jane Eyre, you'll love this version of it!

Son of Interflux
Son of Interflux
by Gordon Korman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
16 used & new from $2.88

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner for young readers, January 1, 2014
Can't get over how much I *still* enjoy this book, 20 years after I first read it! Yes, I'm nostalgic about it, but it's just plain fun - and funny!

A teenager comes into his own in spite of and with the help of his father, all the while accomplishing great things with the help of his friends. Yes, you've probably heard it before, but it's well told, and worth hearing again!

Losing Joe's Place
Losing Joe's Place
Price: $9.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Rises above the rest, October 16, 2013
I bought this for Kindle because my paperback copy has been ready to fall apart for years...I guess you can't read the same book 20 or 30 times without expecting some wear and tear. The other reviews describe the nuts and bolts of why this is an excellent book. All I want to say is that this book, and others of this era from Korman contain a joy and entertainment you simply don't find in most other modern writing for any age group. It's not as if Korman wrote in simpler times; he's still writing! It's just that he understood the power of laughing at ourselves and expertly inserted it in his novels of the 80s and 90s. The characters are generally larger than life in one way or another, yet never quite cross that line into the unbelievable (except for Rootbeer, but hey...artistic license...:-) ). That comedy/realism mix helps us laugh at our own foibles and see them in the context of our own world. There's nothing harder than teaching someone to learn the line between their own capabilities and limits, and Korman's style helps you see it clearly, and gives you hope to keep pushing that envelope and growing, and growing. It's a great read, and I hope a whole new generation enjoys it in this new Kindle format. Hopefully all of Korman's earlier books are converted to Kindle for us folks who want to read them but can't find them. Thanks, Gordon, for a great book!

Hitachi LE42S606 42-in Ultravision 1080p 120Hz LED TV
Hitachi LE42S606 42-in Ultravision 1080p 120Hz LED TV

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent LED HDTV on a Budget, September 11, 2013
We live on a tight budget, and until early August, had never purchased a television in our lives - over 30 years! In order to finance a new television, we pulled the plug on satellite service in February and started saving. The savings added up quickly, and we wanted to make sure we had something ready to go for watching NFL football in the fall (hey...some people watch Dr. Phil, we're football people...).

We hooked this up to a cheap RCA outdoor HD antenna and have been impressed out of the box with the picture quality (we live in a rural area) over the air. 1080i or 720p for all the local channels which we can access (CBS, FOX, and PBS). I'm hoping, in a few months, to save enough for a better antenna array to pick up ABC and NBC as well. The towers for NBC and ABC are about 55-60 miles away, but they are in the same direction. Hopefully a better arrangement will work.

Hooked up to the Blu-ray player (Sony's best from 3 years ago), it displays HD television superbly. Bright colors, dark blacks, extremely good detail. The only complaint would be minor artifacts/pixellation during intense screen activity sequences. I'm not sure if it's the basic HDMI cable I use to hook up the Blu-ray player or the extent of the television's capabilities. I've ordered a higher quality HDMI cable and we will see how it does.

I don't use the built-in speakers much (I have a home theater receiver that sounds better than any built-in speakers on any television could), but they are certainly serviceable, and much more powerful, clear, and balanced than I expected.

The rest of the features on the TV are up to par; I haven't yet tried the Roku streaming stick and am researching it. With our Blu-ray player already capable of playing Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other video-on-demand sources, I'll have to check and see if it is worth buying.

Overall, the television is a four star unit - not too big, not the greatest sound, and not the greatest picture during intense on-screen activity, but when you factor in the price it pushes it over the top and makes this a five-star television. With this unit you get more than what you bargained for, in a good way! Enjoy!

RIM ACC-48181-301 Blackberry Premium In-Vehicle Charger for Blackberry MicroUSB - Car Charger - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $14.78
10 used & new from $9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Charges my smartphone FAST!, July 24, 2013
This is a car charger that stands out basically because of the speed with which it charges a smartphone. It is higher output than most typical car chargers, which explains why it is so fast. It comes with a Micro-USB connection built in, but also has a USB slot for other types of devices to plug in and get a quick charge. I'm very pleased with this purchase, and you will be, too!

BlackBerry Battery Charger Bundle for BlackBerry Z10 - Retail Packaging
BlackBerry Battery Charger Bundle for BlackBerry Z10 - Retail Packaging
Offered by Joycells
Price: $19.99
34 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best idea for cell phones since car-chargers, July 24, 2013
Why didn't anyone think of this before? This is one of those things that, once you have one, you'll wonder why nobody thought of doing something like this before? It works as intended, and means that I don't worry at all about how much I use my smartphone, because I have lots of juice; juice to spare!

It comes with just two pieces, but they're all you need. A spare battery for the BlackBerry Z10, and the charging bundle, which holds the battery. The charging bundle is a bit bigger than a credit card in dimensions, and a little thinner than a Z10 when it comes to depth.

You can use it a number of ways.

To charge your spare battery: Plug your standard wall or car charger into it, and it will charge your spare battery. I recommend using one of BlackBerry's Micro-USB chargers that were designed to work with the BlackBerry PlayBook, as they have a much higher power output than standard chargers, and will charge the battery much faster. Swap your nearly empty battery from the Z10 with the spare, and you're good to go. The Z10 boots up very quickly, too, so you don't have much downtime at all.

To charge your Smartphone without an electric outlet, without interrupting use of your smartphone: Simply pull out the Micro-USB wire and plug it into your Smartphone, and it will start charging your smartphone from the spare battery in the charging bundle. The great thing about this is that this feature will work on any smartphone or device with a Micro-USB charging port!

To charge your spare battery AND your Smartphone at the same time: Plug the charging bundle with spare battery into your smartphone, and then plug your charger into the charging bundle. Both the phone battery and the spare battery will be charged simultaneously. Again, I recommend using a high power output charger to speed up the process.

As I said before, once you've used this, you'll wonder why in the world it took so long for someone to come up with it. Way to go, BlackBerry; this is a great idea and will be helpful to a LOT of smartphone owners.* It's innovative, compact, has a small button you can push on it to check the charge level of the battery in it, and it works as advertised. Great device!

*For those of you who don't use a BlackBerry Z10 but are still thinking of buying this, consider the charging bundle for the BlackBerry Q10, as the battery included in the Q10 bundle has a higher power capacity than this Z10 battery. The Z10 battery is 1800 mAmps; the Q10 battery is 2100 mAmps. Can't really go wrong either way. Happy charging!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2014 2:28 AM PST

Blackberry Folding Blade Charger for Playbook (Black)
Blackberry Folding Blade Charger for Playbook (Black)
Offered by IBD Electronics
Price: $4.00
87 used & new from $1.25

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstandingly FAST Micro-USB charger!, July 24, 2013
Not much to say about this charger other than that it works and it charges most devices very quickly; usually much more quickly than the charger originally included with the device. This is true of smartphones. It was originally intended to be used to charge a tablet, so it has higher power output than standard smartphone chargers, but it still works in smartphones. It's also an excellent (and FAST) charger for Kindles. The folding prongs are a nice touch. I like it so much I bought two; one to leave plugged in at home and one to take with me as my travel charger. The 6 foot cord is also a nice luxury. No complaints here!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3