Profile for dknight16 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

dknight16 RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
British Steel: 30th Anniversary Edition
British Steel: 30th Anniversary Edition
Price: $14.88
51 used & new from $5.47

4.0 out of 5 stars DVD makes it all worth it., May 19, 2010
Like a lot of people, I suspect that if you are a Judas Priest fan you already have the original CD version of British Steel or the 2001 remaster or both. So you ask yourself, is it worth getting another copy? These days we tend to expect a lot out of anniversary editions and deluxe editions, and no doubt looking at the CD track listing you say to yourself WTF? Then you throw the DVD in the player and discover it was well worth the time and expense.

I have to admit that I was somewhat underwhelmed by their last live DVD Rising In The East. It lacked the sound and energy I was expecting and absolutely paled in comparison to Unleashed In The East. Well, they dug deep on this one by showing the commitment and passion they still have for a landmark album, and putting on a classic show for their fans. This DVD is absolutely dynamite. The camera work is great. Unlike too many live DVDs, they didn't edit it down to rapid fire changes. KK & Glenn play their butts off. From my perspective, KK is featured more on these older songs than he seems to have been on the later CDs. If you love KK, it's like 1979 all over again! Ian can be found anchored in his normal spot swinging that bass back and forth without missing a beat. And the new drummer brings us back to the Les Binks days (which is a good thing). Rob sounds amazing. He's like Ian Gillan in that respect. You keep asking yourself how they can hit those notes after 40 years? They can and he does.

I liked it so much I ripped the audio track off the DVD and currently have it in high rotation on my iPod. This is a great tribute to a classic album. But yeah, gotta ding them 1 star for not giving use something new on the studio album side.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2010 5:30 PM PDT

Joe Bonamassa Live from the Royal Albert Hall
Joe Bonamassa Live from the Royal Albert Hall
DVD ~ Joe Bonamassa
Price: $19.99
40 used & new from $6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Proudest Moment, October 6, 2009
Watching this DVD, the same feeling kept washing over me, song after song. It was a feeling of intense pride. I've been witness to the ever expanding vision and hard work Joe Bonamassa has put into his music. No artist over the last decade has captivated me quite like Joe has. Each new release adds yet another layer. And he never makes us wait too long for the next chapter. I've been fortunate to see Joe perform live several times in a variety of venues. Then came RAH.

It's the biggest show of Joe's life and he most certainly is up for the occasion. The venue is magnificent. The crowd is completely engaged. The band is as tight as Bogie's snare. And Joe is on fire. Having everything come together after 20 years has obvious special meaning to Joe. But watching this document of what he has accomplished in my 6+ years as a Joe Bonamassa fan holds special meaning to me as well. I've been an avid record collector and concert goer for over 30 years. In that time, I've never felt more proud to be a fan than I felt while watching this DVD.

For the technical minded, you have the choice of 3 audio streams, Dolby stereo, Dolby 5.1 surround, Dolby DTS surround. The intro sequence really builds up and sets the stage for the show. Camera work is great and features not only well chosen shots of the artists, but within the context of an historic venue. Edits/cuts/changes are appropriately restrained. What may be most surprising of all is that they chose to not overly compress the video and cram it all on one disc. 230 minutes are spread across two discs. This is how a music DVD should be!

After having watched this DVD a few times now, I'd like to add a little more about the performance itself:

- Joe translates live far, far better than most artists. In my opinion, Joe is a brilliant live artist who happens to make great studio records too. I can't decide if Joe's greatest strength is his phenomenal guitar playing or his amazing voice. Both are simply incredible on this DVD.

- I love what Carmine has added to the band over the last couple of years. He brings a flowing musicality that perfectly complements rather than competes with Joe. He is a talented veteran and it shows. The Buddah statue is kinda cool too.

- I was a little nervous when Joe made keyboards a permanent part of the band. I listen to guitar based music to hear . . . the guitar. But Rick is one crafty son of a gun. He doubles Joe's guitar harmonies, adds mood and texture to the background, and does some very nice vocal harmonies on several songs. He steps out here and there with some tasty piano parts that are quite enjoyable. Rick has been a GREAT addition to the band.

- Anyone who thinks the 2 drummer concept is gimicky needs to see this DVD. Watching Bogie and Anton synchronize with each other was quite interesting. It made me pay more attention to the drumming than I usually do, and gave me new found respect for the power and complexity that the drums add to Joe's music.

- Oops. I almost forgot about the horn section. It reminded me how much I enjoyed the early 90's Gary Moore tours that included the Midnight Horns. Here they are used with restraint so as not to crowd the songs which were generally not written with horn parts. The sax solo during Asking Around For You is expecially nice.

Great music DVDs need to complement the music with compelling visuals. There are probably few scenes in the 200+ music DVDs I own that are as dramatic as when Joe climbs up on stage equipment and hoists the Flying V over his head at the conclusion of Just Got Paid with the camera shooting from behind him at floor level. It gives me goose bumps every time I see it.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2010 8:25 AM PDT

Black Keys Live at the Crystal Ballroom
Black Keys Live at the Crystal Ballroom
DVD ~ Black Keys
Price: $9.69
35 used & new from $5.69

5.0 out of 5 stars The Black Keys at Their Very Best., December 15, 2008
I can't believe there are only 3 reviews of this fantastic concert DVD. I own around 300 music DVDs and this one is easily in my top 10. It has it all.

The sound is powerful and clear. Dan's voice is in top form. He sings with real commitment and passion. His guitar tone is thick, aggressive and prominently featured in the mix. Patrick plays with all of the energy he is known for.

The show has a great set list with a mix of songs from throughout their career. Some real thought went into the pacing of this show. Everything rolls along energetically yet there is still time reserved for some truly soulful moments (especially You're The One, and All You Ever Wanted). All of your favorites may not be accounted for here, but believe me, you won't mind in the least.

Set List:
Same Old Thing
Girl Is On My Mind
Set You Free
Thickfreakness
Stack Shot Billy
Busted (w/ extended outro jam)
You're The One
Remember When (Side B)
Your Touch
Oceans And Streams (played on electric keyboard to great effect)
Strange Times
Psychotic Girl
10 AM Automatic
No Trust
I Got Mine
All You Ever Wanted
Till I Get My Way

The camera work and stage light show compliments and reflects the high energy of the band. In contrast to many music DVDs out there, this one does not have constant camera cuts that come at you like a strobe light. The camera actually lingers a resonable amount of time before changing angles. It makes for a very enjoyable viewing experience and it won't make you seasick.

The venue and crowd are perfect for the band. Visually it has classic theater character. It's big enough to avoid the small club atmosphere of their last DVD, but intimate enough that you can see and feel the energy of the crowd.

Lastly there are some video extras about the recording of Attack And Release as well as some behind the scenes footage of making the music videos. Of course the videos themselves are here as well. And yes, the packaging is typically understated.

When I was at TBK show in my town over the summer, the demographics of the crowd appeared to be very diverse (age as well as social status). The band has so many elements in their music that it naturally appeals to a wide range of music fans. This DVD is a great document of that appeal. I very highly recommend this DVD.

Close As You Get
Close As You Get
Price: $11.99
37 used & new from $5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock & Blues Legend Delivers Again, June 7, 2007
This review is from: Close As You Get (Audio CD)
It's a great CD. Each one since the Scars CD seems to get better and better. Gary continues to place more effort on his vocals and is nearly back to the Still Got The Blues and After Hours era when considering the smoothness, dynamics and overall tone of his voice.

The order of the songs is mid/up tempo followed by a ballad. This pattern repeats throughout the entire CD.

If The Devil Made Whisky - A mid tempo, growling tune with a slightly abrasive guitar riff. Nice slide guitar work (which is always a treat for me). It's a great lead off track.

Trouble At Home - Slow bluesy ballad with an organ backing up the melody. Very dark and moody solo.

Thirty Days - Up tempo number with an infectious groove. The solo fits the song perfectly (you'll "whoo" right along with Gary). Fun.

Hard Times - Mid tempo shuffle with harmonica coloring the song throughout. The guitar solo is played with alot of passion and energy. You can almost see Gary making the faces. Great song.

Have You Heard - Back to the ballad, and again with organ backing. The solo is more passionate in this one than Trouble At Home. Nice.

Eyesight To The Blind - A recognizable cover tune. Gary's take is fairly predictable, but engaging. The organ is present, but a bit more in the background as Gary's guitar volume donimates it. Very good solo helps make the song distinctly Gary's.

Evenin' - Another ballad. Starts out with just a percussion beat, then the rest of the band joins in. This one probably has Gary's most vunerable vocal and delicate solo. Dreamy.

Nowhere Fast - Slow tempo song that is essentially a ballad I suppose. Not as delicate as Evenin', but not as dark and moody as Trouble At Home. Here is where I'm beginning to think that this is not the "back to the rock blues" everyone had thought this CD would be. Ha!

Checkin' Up On My Baby - Harmonica driven mid tempo. The harmonica tone is devastating. Gary's extended guitar solo becomes an extention of the harmonica tone and comes on very smoothly. Harmonica comes back together with the guitar for the outro. This would be a great song to see live. Awesome.

I Had A Dream - Very slow tempo ballad with a soaring vocal for the chorus. My buddy always comments on songs like this one. He compares the depression and despair in Gary's voice during the verses to "wanting to slit his wrists". Passionate.

Sundown - A rare treat! This one is an acoustic resonator slide guitar number that is just Gary and his guitar. It is a unique and perfect way to close the CD.

The CD runs just over 51 minutes, which is nearly identical to the last CD, and 10 minutes longer than the "way too short" Power Of The Blues. If you've loved the best of Gary's previous blues work, I have no doubt that you'll love this one too.

Joe Bonamassa - Live at Rockpalast
Joe Bonamassa - Live at Rockpalast
DVD ~ Joe Bonamassa
Price: $14.89
31 used & new from $8.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Great band & songs - but what's up with the sound?, May 25, 2006
If you found this page then you aready know who Joe Bonamassa is. The band's performance is awesome. The camera work is great and keeps you in touch with all 3 members plus the audience. The set list is very enjoyable.

But what is up with the sound? This is a CONCERT DVD. We buy these for the sound as much as the visuals, and this one has sub-par sound. As someone else mentioned there is only one sound stream (stereo), despite a link in the menu that promises DTS surround sound. That in itself is no big deal. I'd take great PCM stereo over compressed surround sound any day, but this is NOT great PCM stereo. It's overdriven and clipped AC3. I've purchased other DVDs that exhibit similar problems (Allman Bros Beacon Theater comes to mind) and I just don't get it. Given the storage capacity of DVDs, it's simply inexcusable.

Bottom line: It's Joe, so buy the DVD. But like me, you may lament what should have been.

Edit: Actually I do get it. It's a Rockpalast recording and they typically have minor audio issues. Maybe they engineer these on the fly for live broadcast, or maybe they record them, but don't take the time to master them to their highest potential. In any case, the show is great, the band is on fire, and the setting looks pretty cool. After dozens of listens, I no longer whine about the sound. It's a great portrait of the original line-up and I am greatful Joe was able to release this show. Buy it!

Live in Tokyo 1997
Live in Tokyo 1997
DVD ~ Michael Schenker Group
Price: $14.29
40 used & new from $3.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising release of a classic show., March 16, 2006
This review is from: Live in Tokyo 1997 (DVD)
I don't believe there was ever a plan to release this video. It appears to have been recorded by the venue rather than by the band itself. As most people have mentioned, it was shot with one camera from the back of the theater. While you do get some panning and zooming, it's obviously no substitute for a well positioned and edited multi-cam recording. Don't expect Dolby Digital 5.0 sound either - but it's of entirely acceptable quality. Once you get past those facts, the show itself is a classic. There are ton of great songs spread across Michael's entire career. The band and Michael are tight and appear to really be enjoying themselves.

If I had to guess, I would say the motivation for releasing it was to prevent bootleggers from profiting off the footage. This show has been circulating in trading circles for some time, but now you can get the best quality possible here. I accept it for what it is. In my opinion, and if you love Michael Shenker, this DVD is worth your time and money.

DVD GARY MOORE BALLADS & BLUES 1982-1994 & LIVE BLUES (featuring B.B. KING)
DVD GARY MOORE BALLADS & BLUES 1982-1994 & LIVE BLUES (featuring B.B. KING)

1.0 out of 5 stars Pirated material that scams the artist!, February 1, 2006
This is not an official DVD release. It is a compressed version of the out of print laserdisc release. Some prior reviews have commented on the video quality that is not up to DVD standards - now you know why. Also, in order to fit laserdisc content onto smaller capacity DVD media, they not only compressed the video, but left off 3 songs that were on the laserdisc version and are still referenced on the DVD cover. Anyone who would pay $50+ for pirated material is out of their mind. At least have the patience and common sense to buy it off eBay at a much lower price.

UFO: Showtime
UFO: Showtime
DVD ~ U.F.O.
Offered by cds_dvds_guaranteed
Price: $59.89
3 used & new from $15.25

4.0 out of 5 stars WTF? Still no Chapman era songs?, December 30, 2005
This review is from: UFO: Showtime (DVD)
OK, I'm going to buy this. But you have to wonder what is going on here. The excuse used for years was that Schenker refused to play Chapman era songs. Lame as hell, but what are you gonna do? So now they are past that excuse and the set list still reads like Strangers In The Night plus some of the new stuff. I just don't get it. Chapman era stuff was some of the strongest the band ever did. I hate that they refuse to acknowledge it.

On to Victory / Go for the Throat
On to Victory / Go for the Throat
14 used & new from $14.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic piece of Pie, July 5, 2005
I keep asking myself how many times did I almost spend the $50 and buy a second hand copy of the original pressing of On To Victory? When someone gave me the heads-up that not only was this CD going to be reissued, but bundled with Go For The Throat, and priced below $15 . . . well, let's just say I was pretty darn happy. Humble Pie made some great music during this era (early 80's). The band had lots of ideas, energy, and talent. I saw them at least 3 times during various tours to support these releases and I am THRILLED to finally have both of them on CD. If you love Humble Pie and Steve Marriott (not to mention Bobby Tench on guitar and vocals, journeyman drummer Jerry Shirley, and "Booty" Jones holding down the back beat), then throw down a few fins and get this release. You'll love it.

Technical note: This seems to be a straight release rather than remastered. Given how many older recording remasters end up sounding overly echoed or compressed, I'd say good choice.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2010 11:07 AM PDT

Gary Moore & The Midnight Blues - Live at Montreux 1990
Gary Moore & The Midnight Blues - Live at Montreux 1990
DVD ~ Gary Moore
Price: $8.98
26 used & new from $5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the ultimate Gary Moore DVD, December 4, 2004
Yes. It's that good. The sound, the visuals, the authoring and editing - this one hits on all cylinders. The Still Got The Blues tour was perhaps the high point of Gary's amazing musical journey and this particular shows is one of the highest points of that year. The Montreux camera and audio crew captured an amazing performance. At times the crowd seem positively hysterical. They know something special is going on in front of their eyes.

I thought the Evening Of The Blues (Hammersmith Odeon) laserdisc was going to be the ultimate Gary Moore video performance, but this show has better sound and, believe it or not, better picture quality. It sounds full and live without the prominent hall echo effect captured on the Hammersmith show. If you have seen the Live Blues laserdisc you know that the sound on that nightclub show is slightly dry without the natural reverb of a larger venue. It seems Montreux is just the right size to capture perfect concert sound.

The performance itself just barely short of perfect. I only say that because the song Midnight Blues from the Hammersmith show cannot possibly be topped. All of the songs here are great, but a few completely stand out and must be heard (and seen) by every fan of Gary Moore and the blues. Texas Strut is an extended version and Gary seems to get in a special zone. Perhaps he is feeding off the crowd, or maybe he was just inspired that night. He samples guitar licks of Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) and Stevie Ray Vaughan during the early part of the song and to my ears his ability alter styles and sounds on one guitar is cool as hell. Then he goes into the improvised blues portion and takes the song to heights I have never heard him go before. The Albert Collins guest performances on 3 songs is always a treat, but I especially enjoyed Cold, Cold Feeling. On this cut Albert proves why he is considered a master of the blues and Gary just sits somewhat in the background and lets the man show how it is done. But by far the most amazing cut is the encore performance of The Messiah Will Come Again. This is a beautiful guitar instrumental and Gary just NAILS it. Soft, haunting, energetic, and sheer virtuostic (I made up a word) in different parts of the song. Perhaps the best performance I have ever seen from any guitarist ever. It will give you both goose bumps and a dry mouth (because it will be hanging open). Simply unbelievable.

Then they give you 3 bonus cuts from the 1997 Montreux show. The sound and the feel is very different 7 years later (and with a completely different band). The cool part of the bonus tracks it that you get 3 pre-blues era tracks from Gary and they sound great. If you have seen the Ohne Filter broadcast from the same tour you will notice that Gary has the same yellow Diesel shirt on. I guess he really thought it looked good on camera!

Stop reading reviews and order the DVD! Now!

Page: 1 | 2