Profile for D. Wilkes Jr. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Wilkes Jr. RSS Feed (Indy, IN)

Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Offered by Select2go, Ship from USA, No Import Tax 100% Feedback
Price: Click here to see our price
20 used & new from $7.89

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't quite understand why NFS still exists, November 5, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I grew up with the NFS franchise. The games were always great. The series peaked 3 times equally: Porsche Unleashed because of its attention to historical detail and physics, Underground 2 for taking all that was good about Underground and then adding an open-world environment, and then Most Wanted for taking what UG2 did, and simply removing the boring bits and enhancing the best ones. After Most Wanted, things started to slide. Carbon was okay, but then the series went off a cliff. Undercover had the worst environment detail ever with even less plot, Hot Pursuit simply was not made for people who have ever driven a car in real life (keep in mind all NFS games were great BECAUSE they were arcadey, but predictable and had linear handling), The Run wasn't even finished, and then we get this, Most Wanted 2, for all intents and purposes. Without question, this is the most disappointing game of the entire franchise. Why? It's not the worst in full, but since it meant to update the original and is absolutely terrible, it loses even more points. Let's get started:

Graphics
Quite outstanding, actually. The port is just fair, but the game is actually nice to look at. Not up there with Hot Pursuit, but still nice. Doesn't matter though as the remainder of this review will show you.

Handling
There is none. Cars do not behave like cars, they all behave exactly the same which is something like a cross between a yacht and driving on an ice rink. Accelerating is fine. Braking is fine. Turning? You turn by hitting the handbrake and going into a preposterous slide. This would be fine if it was like Burnout, but there is no correlation between how much you slide and how fast you were going. If you try to brake normally and turn, the car reverts to boat mode. This game makes Cruisin' USA look like a simulator. I can put this another way: it is as though the handling model simply was not finished, but they wanted to get this game out for what...the on-Halloween season?

Gameplay
Gone are the days of racing for cash to buy cars and upgrades. Instead, you, with zero back story, start in an Aston Martin and are told to simply drive up to a Porsche, press a button, and then you can drive it. Yes, you find cars scattered throughout the city, but you aren't rewarded for your task. No. Instead, you just can swap cars on the spot as though you already own them all. Speaking of which, you can even do this when being chased by the police. Have 8 cruisers on you? No problem, hop out of your 911 and get into a Shelby Mustang and you'll hear on the radio "Suspect has changed vehicles, now in pursuit of grey Ford Mustang!". Keep in mind these cars are literally on the side of the road or in the middle of fields. Those familiar with NFS games will understand that the problem known as rubber-banding is worse than ever. Doesn't matter if your Gallardo is going 180mph, the basic police cruiser will still pass you as though you're standing still. The only thing more inane than this is that you can have a full head-on crash into a wall, get a message on the screen saying "CRASHED!"......and then continue your chase, but if you slow down normally, you'll get busted. This isn't like the rewind feature in The Run, it just happens. I could go on, but there's no point.

Plot
The entire game is run from a HUD saying you have x amount of points until you get to challenge the Most Wanted racer in x position. Woo hoo. So no, there is no plot, you come out of nowhere in an Aston Martin Vantage, and immediately "steal" a Porsche 911 and just hop off and start racing. I am not exaggerating, that is your first 45 seconds of gameplay.

If you have owned any NFS games in the past, let me just put it like this: this isn't one. It's a terribly made game which happens to have good looking models of cars in it. Once again, graphics have taken the front seat and actual fun fell off the top of the roof as you did a burnout to start a race (yes that is how you start races). Look elsewhere.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2014 11:13 AM PST

Valeo 900-24-1B Frameless ULTIMATE All-Season Wiper Blade - 24"
Valeo 900-24-1B Frameless ULTIMATE All-Season Wiper Blade - 24"
Price: $14.48
17 used & new from $9.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Best performance AND value on the market, hands down., September 12, 2012
I bought a set of Valeo 900 wiper blades for my Civic Si in February 2010. As of September 2012, they are still functional, although there is some mild streaking. Not even remotely to the point of just pushing the water around like normal wipers when they go, but enough to make me want to replace them before winter starts (these have been through hail storms and midwest winters complete with ice storms and 14" snows, and they have performed flawlessly). For over 2.5 years, these blades have been easily the best I've purchased. The fact that they've lasted 2.5 years before I realized that I hadn't replaced them in years makes them the best value on the market. I have used the top lines from Bosch, RainX and Anco, and all are great when they first start. The streaking I'm getting now two and a half years later is akin to any of the aforementioned after 6-8 months or a single winter. Should also mention that the installation is as simple as any others. Outstanding product, Valeo.

Valeo 900-16-1B Frameless ULTIMATE All-Season Wiper Blade - 16"
Valeo 900-16-1B Frameless ULTIMATE All-Season Wiper Blade - 16"
Price: $14.49
11 used & new from $8.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Best blades AND value on the market, period., September 12, 2012
I bought a set of Valeo 900 wiper blades for my Civic Si in February 2010. As of September 2012, they are still functional, although there is some mild streaking. Not even remotely to the point of just pushing the water around like normal wipers when they go, but enough to make me want to replace them before winter starts (these have been through hail storms and midwest winters complete with ice storms and 14" snows, and they have performed flawlessly). For over 2.5 years, these blades have been easily the best I've purchased. The fact that they've lasted 2.5 years before I realized that I hadn't replaced them in years makes them the best value on the market. I have used the top lines from Bosch, RainX and Anco, and all are great when they first start. The streaking I'm getting now two and a half years later is akin to any of the aforementioned after 6-8 months or a single winter. Outstanding product, Valeo.

Thorlo Unisex Tennis Crew Sock, White/Tan, Large
Thorlo Unisex Tennis Crew Sock, White/Tan, Large
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding tennis sock, may improve your performance too!, December 10, 2011
Bought these socks because I was tired of using my Adidas "sport" socks daily and for tennis. I'd always thought a "tennis" sock was simply a gimmick to make more money. I'd also always worn no-show socks and didn't understand why people would wear crew and ankle high socks for tennis. Again, maybe a gimmick perpetuated by marketing of some of the other brands and styles. Not so with these. These do not make your feet sweat, but cushion like thick cotton socks. This means that your feet will not get sore even when on the balls of your feet for a long match. Plus, you have extra stability within the shoe itself and on the heel, so your foot is more secure when running for a tough shot. There is a reason why pros don't wear no-show socks. Get at least ankle length ones

Frieling Polished Stainless French Press
Frieling Polished Stainless French Press
Price: Click here to see our price
21 used & new from $81.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I own all models, and this one is the king, March 1, 2010
You're sitting there thinking "Man, that is a lot of money to spend on a French Press; the Bodum ones are 1/3 the price!" You'd be right in your thinking, and that's exactly what I thought. I own two sizes of the Bodum Chambord, two sizes of the Bodum Brazil and the 34oz Bodum Kenya. All make for great french press coffee; they're easy to clean, they're inexpensive, and especially with the Brazil and Kenya, the chances of breaking the beaker are slim. So why, WHY would you spend many times more money on the Frieling model? Because it's many times better quality; that's why. This French press just oozes quality craftsmanship. It has a heft to it that is unmatched by anything from Bodum, let alone any other manufacturer. The mesh on this french press is also finer than on any Bodum model meaning that the coffee/sludge ratio is much higher. Plus, and this is the most important quality, The Frieling is made of insulated stainless steel. That means that while your coffee is steeping, that perfect temperature water that you poured in is still at that perfect temperature water while the oils are being extracted. With glass models, they lose heat easily and thus can end up with lesser quality flavor due to extraction of the beans at too low of a water temperature. I have all of these models aforementioned on my counter top and the 35oz Frieling is the only model I use now. I only use the Bodum models if I have guests and need to serve many different kinds of coffee at once. Otherwise, this is king. It is the best that money can buy and when coupled with a Emsa Eleganza thermal carafe for storing your fresh brew in, it is a thing of beauty where form and function are both at the top of the charts.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2010 11:07 PM PST

Afraid
Afraid
by J. A. Konrath
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
86 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfathomable responses, April 25, 2009
This review is from: Afraid (Mass Market Paperback)
I cannot for the life of me understand how so many people on here gave this book over 3 stars. It is a mediocre story at best, full of plot holes large enough to walk through and uses a style of suspense more akin to a 7th grader's weekly writing project. The characters were poorly developed, and even for those who were well developed, you just can't care less about them from an emphatic point of view because Kilborn just doesn't make them seem important. The "gore" and "scares" in this book had me rolling my eyes more than anything because it's blatantly obvious that Kilborn is trying so desperately to frighten the viewers, but because he takes it so far, you end up being desensitized to his "horror".

He continually uses cliche cliffhangers such as "He felt that he was finally free of the terror that wrapped his mind like a vice as he climbed out of the portrait window and into the cold air. That's when the killer grabbed his foot. *Next Chapter Begins* Although I just made up that passage, you get the point. Almost every chapter ends in such a "suspensful" way that by the end of the book you know that nothing story-changing will happen to whoever is stuck in the predicament. I give this book two stars instead of one only because Kilborn was a genius in making me want to buy it, so I have to give him full credit for the work. Unfortunately, the book failed to come through with anything meaningful, which ended up leaving a poor taste in my mouth.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2009 8:11 PM PDT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Good depending on what you're looking for., January 16, 2008
Let me preface this by saying that I am not overweight in the least, but I work with people who are. I used to weigh 245lbs, but am now down into the 160s and have become a personal trainer. I know of just about every weightloss product on the market and could tell you whether or not it will work. I lost all of my weight with solely diet and exercise, but I can understand those who need a bit of help. One of my clients recently asked me if it would be a good idea for her to take this Alli supplement to help her lose weight. I asked her what was in it, and she said she didn't know, so I looked it up. It sounded legitimate enough, except for the "treatment effects". Essentially, Alli contains a compound called orlistat which binds to fats in your digestive tract, and carries them out of the body instead of allowing them to be absorbed.

So, I decided to purchase a 120 pack to test it for myself before I let someone else go at it without me knowing about it. I should also say that I eat extremely healthy, and while I may eat a good amount of fat, it is all good fat (I only cook with olive, or canola oil, eat lean chicken or fish regularly with red meats about once a week, 50% of a meal is always vegetables and fruits, take 3g fish and 3g flax oil supplements everyday, and eat a few ounces of almonds throughout the day. Daily intake is around 1800-2000cal depending on the day).

So, the first day I took one with each meal and didn't notice anything. I was ready to write this pill off as hype, until the second day (today). I woke up, went to class and felt like passing gas. Thank god against my good judgement I didn't, because I let it out in the car and immediately felt my underwear become wet. I couldn't believe it when I went home and had a bowel movement that the toilet was covered in orange oil which was the fat the pill removed. It smells horrid and is hard to remove.

Therefore, I give this product a 3 star rating because it does exactly what it advertises. It removes excess fat from your body by passing it through your digestive system. However, if you aren't prepared, you can easily embarrass yourself with the product's treatment effects. Also, the product makes it harder for the body to take up fat soluble vitamins, so a multivitamin is a must. So, if you eat a lot of fat, this product won't really change anything for you like a thermogenic will, but it will show you and force you to eat less fat. Hope that helps.

-Dave
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2011 10:42 AM PDT