Profile for Lisa > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lisa RSS Feed (NJ, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
A Travel Guide to Heaven
A Travel Guide to Heaven
by Anthony DeStefano
204 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An uplifting view of Heaven, and a great read, too!, September 22, 2003
Wow...I bought this book on a lark, and I'm so glad I did. I've read other books that explore the subject of the afterlife, but none was ever as uplifting as this one. Other books on life after death were always either a little scary or strange. This author doesn't claim to have actually been to Heaven, but instead uses solid research to back up his vision of life after death. After I finished the book, I was left with feelings of hope and security. I can see how it would be comforting for someone who recently lost a loved one, or someone who is struggling with illness themselves. I've already purchased this book for two of my friends--it's the kind of book that, once you read it, you want to share it with others. Overall, a great read!

It's My F---ing Birthday: A Novel
It's My F---ing Birthday: A Novel
by Merrill Markoe
Price: $9.38
177 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Funny moments, tempered by depressing storyline, June 25, 2003
I had high hopes for this book after reading a few glowing reviews, but I ultimately came away disappointed. The book starts out promising, and Markoe's writing is breezy, funny, and occasionally clever. Midway through, however, the incessantly bleak existence of the main character wears you down, and the writing becomes heavy-handed and over-the-top. The character becomes less and less sympathetic, because she does not mature or learn anything with each passing year, and continues to make the same relationship mistakes over and over again. There are those that would argue that this is a lot like real life, but one would think that a book would have a higher purpose to entertain. Unfortunately, there's nothing entertaining about this sad, lonely, mixed-up woman with low self-esteem who spends an inordinate amount of time obsessing over minute relationship details, and expects us to care.

The Giver (Readers Circle (Laurel-Leaf))
The Giver (Readers Circle (Laurel-Leaf))
by Lois Lowry
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
270 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, but disappointing!, May 28, 2003
I had high hopes for this book, because I love Lois Lowry's Anastasia Krupnik series. Unfortunately, what started out a promising, fascinating read really fizzled at the end. The author did a great job creating a Utopian world that isn't all it seems to be, but I think she copped out towards the end. The resolution of the story is too ambigious for my liking. When I invest the time and effort into reading a challenging story like this one, I expect a payoff at the end, and this book disappointed me. It's one of those "Well, the ending is whatever you want it to be." If you don't mind that kind of story, then go ahead and read it. If you prefer your stories more neatly packaged and fleshed-out, skip it.

Best in Show
Best in Show
DVD ~ Catherine O'hara
Price: $4.85
31 used & new from $1.44

5.0 out of 5 stars As funny as a wet dog is smelly!, May 28, 2003
This review is from: Best in Show (DVD)
Where do I start? If you liked Spinal Tap, you'll love Best in Show. The best part of watching the movie in knowing the entire thing is improvised...Fred Willard is absolutely hilarious, and Chris Guest should have added even more footage of Michael McKean and John Michael Higgins...they stole the movie! (Watch the deleted scenes of those guys, too.) The audio commentary was also very informative.

When My Name Was Keoko (Jane Addams Honor Book (Awards))
When My Name Was Keoko (Jane Addams Honor Book (Awards))
by Linda Sue Park
153 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, engaging, and accessible for young readers, May 28, 2003
I read this book with my daughter's book club (4th graders) and I think I enjoyed it even more than the kids did. Because it was written for young adults, the writing style is simple and accessible, but the story and, in particular, the history that is set forth in this book is certainly worth reading. Americans don't learn enough about other culture. This is a great opportunity to learn about WWII through the perspective of a young Korean girl, living in Japanese-occupied Korea. I highly recommend this book.

First Mothers: The Women Who Shaped the Presidents
First Mothers: The Women Who Shaped the Presidents
by Bonnie Angelo
144 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-researched, fascinating read!, March 27, 2001
FDR was an incurable mama's boy? Truman's mom was an independent upstart with vision ahead of her time? Who knew?? What attracted me to this book was its tremendous amount of well-researched, detailed historic information that I've not seen published anywhere else. So many books have been written about past leaders, but so little has been written about the women who influenced these men so greatly during their formative years. It really gives a whole new perspective on how our former Presidents developed their value systems and their way of thinking that ultimately led them to success.

Clara Barton: Soldier of Mercy (Discovery Biographies)
Clara Barton: Soldier of Mercy (Discovery Biographies)
by Mary Catherine Rose
Edition: Library Binding
14 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless CLASSIC!, January 16, 2001
The first biography I ever read was this book on Clara Barton, wayyyyyy back in 1974! I am proud to say that my daughter recently chose to study Clara Barton for HER first biography, and wouldn't you know it, the book she got from the library was THE SAME BOOK that I read all those years ago. It is just as inspiring and informative as I remembered it to be...the illustrations are beautiful, and the story is presented in an easy-to-understand format that children will enjoy. I'm glad to see it is still available for purchase. Truly a classic piece of literature!!

Page: 1 | 2