Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL
Profile for Lisa > Reviews

Lisa's Profile

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lisa RSS Feed (NJ, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Fitbit One Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker, Burgundy
Fitbit One Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker, Burgundy
Price: $94.95
4 used & new from $94.95

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST FITNESS PURCHASE I EVER MADE--and lost 7 pounds in less than 2 weeks, July 28, 2015
I'm so glad I bought a FitBit--I've had it for almost two weeks now, and I already can't live without it. I got the burgundy one, which is identical to the black in terms of functionality, but a few bucks cheaper, and much prettier, in my opinion. It is super-easy to use--just go to and they walk you through the process of plugging it in to charge--and it comes with everything you need (IGNORE AMAZON'S OFFER TO "BUNDLE" YOUR PURCHASE WITH A CLIP-ON HOLDER AND WRIST STRAP--those are already included in the box!)

I chose the clip-on style vs. the wristband because I didn't want to be hyper-aware of my steps, and then start obsessing over them. I also didn't want everyone I came across to see that I was tracking my steps. I clip this tiny FitBit One on my waistband or inside my bra, and within seconds I forget it's even there. I have not had any issues with it coming loose, either--the clip holds securely in place. The FitBit One doesn't have a heart monitor, like the more expensive "watch band" versions, but I didn't need that feature, because I'm not using it for highly strenuous workouts. This is just a tool to help me keep track of how much I've actually gotten up and moving each day. Best feature: differentiating between "Active Minutes" and overall steps. There are days when I feel like I'm so busy, running errands all over the place, but in reality, I've gotten very few "active" minutes in, because I've been hopping in and out of the car all day. Active minutes are the key if you're looking for weight loss--that's when you're really burning calories. In the same vein, there are days when I feel like I've barely gotten anything accomplished, and then I see that I've got over 10,000 steps and I realize I was to busy to notice just how much walking I did.

This is a great value, easy to use, and it's FUN. I've also lost 7 pounds in less than 2 weeks: now that I have a way to quantify how many calories I'm burning in a day, it helps keep me on track with getting in enough exercise. I highly recommend ordering this product.

BELLA 13554 Hot Air Popcorn Maker, Red and White
BELLA 13554 Hot Air Popcorn Maker, Red and White
Price: $16.47
17 used & new from $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT PURCHASE THIS!!!, July 8, 2014
Seriously--I don't care how much of a sale or discount they're offering, do not buy this thing. I got it as a gift yesterday and it is going back to the store tomorrow. This poorly-designed popcorn maker is hazardous and should not be sold. I followed the directlons exactly, and like all of the other reviewers here, almost immediately there were flaming hot popcorn kernels flying out of the machine and all over my kitchen. More than half of the kernels did not pop, and have to be thrown out because you can't re-use them, so this unit will also cost you lots of money over time. Yes, it looks cute, but that is ALL this machine has going for it. Don't waste your time--find a different model!

Pfaltzgraff Napoli Oval Vegetable/Serve Bowl (2-1/2-Quart)
Pfaltzgraff Napoli Oval Vegetable/Serve Bowl (2-1/2-Quart)
Offered by Lijo Decor
Price: $37.50
2 used & new from $31.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but beware of chips, August 31, 2008
I love this pattern, and have purchased several pieces from the Napoli line. After just one use, though, I noticed a chip in the paint on the rim of this bowl. I am very careful with my bowls and platters, but it happened anyway.

Still a gorgeous piece of pottery...just a bit "lived in" now.

Flip Video Underwater Case for 1st Generation Flip Video Cameras
Flip Video Underwater Case for 1st Generation Flip Video Cameras
Offered by Jbug Enterprises
Price: $69.99
4 used & new from $42.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Seal failed and RUINED my Flip!!!, August 31, 2008
I took my Flip camera with me on vacation, and bought the underwater case for our snorkeling trip. I used the case exactly as specified, but water somehow got into the case, and RUINED my Flip camera. It won't even turn on now. I lost all of the videos I took during the trip, too. What a waste!!!

EDITED COMMENT TO ADD: I contacted Pure Digital and they responded immediately. They said that I can return both the camera and the case, and they will make the necessary repairs. They also said they'd do their best to retrieve the videos from the memory card.

Philips DCD778 Under the Counter 8.5-Inch LCD TV with Built In DVD Player and iPod Docking

1.0 out of 5 stars STEER CLEAR OF PHILIPS PRODUCTS!!!!!!!, January 29, 2008
UGH! We purchased this item in December, and it was defective. We had to go through Philips directly to get a replacement, and it has been a NIGHTMARE.

First you have to call Philips and get a case# assigned to you. Then, AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE, you have to FedEx the unit back to them in Arkansas (and get insurance on it, too). Then you don't hear back from them, and have to call constantly to track them down. Don't even bother trying to fax them because their fax number never picks up.

They received my defective unit on Jan. 21st--I have the FedEx tracking number to prove it--but they still haven't updated their records to reflect that. They said it takes 10 full business days to hit their records, and then another 5 to 10 business days after that for me to get my replacement unit. Meanwhile, I have nothing from them in writing that says they will replace my unit in that time frame...I have to "trust them" that it will show up on my case# eventually. In the meantime, I have endured the inconvenience and expense, and will not receive a replacement until a full month after I returned it.

I will never purchase another Philips product again!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful thriller set in World War 2, January 16, 2008
I can see why this novel was chosen as a finalist for ABNA. The opening chapter is suspenseful, exciting, and filled with intriguing characters in daring life-or-death situations. The author weaves several subplots and characters together seamlessly, and does a terrific job setting the tumultuous scene in Europe during World War 2. An intriguing work by a debut author. Well done!

Water for Elephants: A Novel
Water for Elephants: A Novel
by Sara Gruen
Price: $16.85
482 used & new from $0.01

1,543 of 1,613 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for an entertaining read? You've found it!, May 27, 2006
What a terrific read! Water for Elephants has been lauded as a "great pick for summer", but this book is so much more. It has a depth and a substance to it that you don't usually find in your typical "beach read". It's obvious that the author did her research into the time period (post-Depression America), and the subject matter (traveling circuses). According to the author's note at the end of the book, many of the compelling anecdotes in the story were based upon real events, culled from the diaries and personal histories of old-time circus performers. As a result, Water for Elephants is a novel that boasts the rare combination of being both entertaining and informative.

The main character is a cantankerous, still-sharp 93-year-old man, and his frustration at being trapped in an old man's body is palpable. The story of his incredible life and adventures with the Benzini Brothers circus unfolds in a way that is emotionally wrenching, and yet flashes of good humor pervade throughout. The characters are richly drawn, and even the animals are given complex personalities that make them a pivotal part of the story. There is something in the novel for everyone: it is equal parts adventure, mystery, fictional memoir, love story, and historical account.

I highly recommend this book!
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2013 9:28 AM PDT

NSI Rock Tumbler Classic
NSI Rock Tumbler Classic
Price: $35.89
43 used & new from $22.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Educational but SLOW and NOISY, December 29, 2004
This review is from: NSI Rock Tumbler Classic (Toy)
My daughter got this for Christmas. We had no idea it takes nearly a month from start to finish to get polished stones, but I suppose it's a good lesson in patience for a 10 year old. It does not say anything on the box about the wait period, or the fact that the noisy tumbler must be running constantly for the entire time. Fortunately, we have a basement where the tumbler is humming away while not disturbing anyone. I recommend placing the tumbler in the box top it comes in, to avoid "traveling" while the motor runs.

All in all, the toy is certainly educational, but it takes a LOOOONG time to get results, and is not for folks who live in close quarters.

My Little Pony Celebration Castle with Baby Pony Pink Sunsparkle and Romperooni
My Little Pony Celebration Castle with Baby Pony Pink Sunsparkle and Romperooni
Offered by ToyWiz
Price: $299.99
4 used & new from $80.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much for your money, February 2, 2004
Let me start by saying that my 3-year-old LOVES this castle. She asked Santa to bring it, and he did. She loves playing with it, and arranging her ponies around it. As a parent, however, I am disappointed in the poor quality of this toy, particularly given its hefty price tag. It only comes with one pony, has dozens of stickers that must be applied, and the plastic crown is a piece of garbage...falls apart constantly. The hot air balloon is also unstable and falls off the castle all the time.
If your child is begging for some sort of My Little Pony item, you might want to purchase the Cotton Candy Cafe instead. It comes with 3 or 4 ponies, and takes up much less room. If she has her heart set on the castle, be prepared to spend an hour putting on the stickers, duct tape the crown together, and expect to hear that dang "my little pony" theme song constantly in your head!

Angels & Demons
Angels & Demons
by Dan Brown
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
1711 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, fascinating thriller, January 3, 2004
Perhaps it's unfair to compare this novel to DaVinci Code, but I must. This was Dan Brown's first Robert Langdon novel, and while I thoroughly enjoyed the book, I will admit, it was not as good as the DaVinci Code. This is only because of the subject matter, however: the book is still written in Brown's engaging, well-researched style, filled with fascinating tidbits of information regarding the Catholic Church, the scientific community, and Rome itself. I think the major drawback for this book is that, while the DaVinci Code takes place within the context of famous works of art (something that draws in a large, general audience), Angels and Demons deals with physics, and can at times be bogged down with jargon. If I'd read this one BEFORE I read DaVinci Code, I might not have had the patience to see it through, but I'm glad I did. It is an excellent novel, and certainly worth purchasing in paperback form. I look forward with great expectations to Dan Brown's next Robert Langdon novel.

Page: 1 | 2