ARRAY(0xa587e33c)

Customer Reviews: 77

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Steven Quigley RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Kong Goodie Bone Extreme
Kong Goodie Bone Extreme
Offered by Fat Happy Pets
Price: $9.58
13 used & new from $7.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Bone shape can't resist strong chewers, March 31, 2014
This review is from: Kong Goodie Bone Extreme (Misc.)
Our 80 lb. Doberman destroyed the Kong Extreme bone in just 10 minutes. With large dogs who are strong chewers, the thinner middle section allows them to get the rubber into the backs of their jaws were they have the most leverage to easily scissor it in half, a little at a time. Once that's done, they can start chomping off pieces which they may eat. This toy was a complete disappointment for us.

On the other hand, instead of the bone shape, I'd recommend the Kong Extreme X-Large original shape (KONG Extreme KONG Dog Toy, X-Large, Black) which has been in our home for over a month and is still in nearly perfect shape.

DBTech Big Oversized Digital Blue LED Calendar Clock with Day and Date - Shelf or Wall Mount (16 inches - Blue LED)
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $79.99
3 used & new from $74.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Dotted LEDs for the day/date buzz the eye, March 24, 2014
We purchased 2 of these clocks with blue LEDs for my elderly parents and in-laws. Overall, the product works as advertised, but I have some issues with the LEDs. The LEDs depicting the hours/minutes are of the segmented variety—they look like the numbers on calculators which are made up of bars and are less intense and easy to read. However, the LEDs used for the date are dotted LEDs which are a much more intense color and cause optical vibration to the eye (this difference is even discernible in the Amazon photo). The brightness IS adjustable in 3 levels, but with mixed results. The brightest level is super-bright and would probably be good for outdoor viewing or across a large business workplace, classroom, hall, etc. But even the lowest brightness level is still not totally comfortable to my parents, because the dotted LEDs do not dim as nicely as the segmented ones. I may try putting a shade film over the front to see if I can control the results. I think the overall visual quality would have been much better if the manufacturer had used segmented LEDs for the entire display.

Bionaire® Whole-House Console Humidifier with Extended-Life Filter Included
Bionaire® Whole-House Console Humidifier with Extended-Life Filter Included
Offered by Gladiator Trading
Price: $119.99
6 used & new from $51.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Fill, Very Quiet on Lowest Speed, January 6, 2014
We bought this humidifier for a 2,000 sq.ft. home, replacing an older Holmes model which we had had for 15 years. It is positioned in our upstairs hallway adjacent to a return vent so as to circulate the humidified air throughout our home. I refill the two water reservoirs once per day, and so far, we've seen our humidity holding around 40%-45% when set on 50%. The two water reservoirs have built-in handles and hold approximately 1.25 gallons each. When filled, each weighs about 10 lbs. That makes the reservoirs much easier to fill, carry, and load than our previous model's tank which had one 2.5 gallon container which weighed 20 lbs. and would not fit in a regular sink.

Overall, I'm happy with this purchase as the humidifier does seem to be doing the job. However, I agree with other reviewers that the highest speed is a bit too loud, and generates a particular fluttering sound from resonance; we only switch to high when we're going out. The medium speed is acceptable as background noise, and that's what we run the unit on when we're home. I am very pleased that the low speed is nearly silent, yet still keeps the humidity up. Since the humidifier sits outside our open bedroom door, low is what we use at night.

This humidifier is relatively compact for a "whole-house" model; its dimensions are 16"high x 17"wide x 11"deep. It is not on casters but is light enough to easily move without the water tanks installed. This model appears identical to the Sunbeam #SCM3755C-WM3 and the Holmes HM3855L-UM Cool Mist Console Humidifier. Replacement D wicks under various brand names cost about $5-$12 each.

UPDATE: downgraded to 3 stars (1-12-2014):
After running the humidifer for 6 weeks, the fluttering/resonance sound gradually turned into the clicking noise that other reviewers have complained about, even on low speed. So I returned the original unit and got a replacement of the same model. However, based on numerous complaints, I would have to caution about either a possible bad 2013 batch or issues with quality control. I like the features, so I'm hoping this one holds up. I'll report back in time.

The Ultimate Guide to Surfcasting
The Ultimate Guide to Surfcasting
by Ron Arra
Price: $13.18
57 used & new from $4.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book but Needs Some Updating, October 8, 2013
I first read "The Ultimate Guide to Surfcasting" about 6 years ago, and the information I've learned has helped to dramatically improve my surf casts. With a 12' Ugly Stick and 40lb. Stren braid on a large spinning reel (Okuma Epixor EB-65), I have now cast 6 oz. of weight over 350'. I had backed my spool with mono and added a measured 300' of yellow braid on top. Imagine my surprise when after implementing Mr. Arra's techniques, I started seeing my uni-knot splice 50' away from me out in the surf! While most of the fish I catch are closer to shore, there have been several occasions when no one along the beach was catching--except for me on my "long distance" rod.

I'd have given this book 5-stars, but as others have noted, the casting technique photos are really muddy and take some studying in comparison to the text to figure out what's going on. It's nearly impossible to see the line in most photos, and sometimes even the sinker is hard to find, despite the little arrows which are supposed to point to its location. I think better printing (ex, a higher line-screen to the photos) and some Photoshop embellishment to improve contrast and show exactly the locations of the line and sinker would dramatically help. Also, since this book details Mr. Arra's recommendations for rods and reels, it really could use some updating to include today's models. For example, the acclaimed Penn 525 MAG reel is discontinued.

Stearns Inflata-Belt Max Belt Pack Automatic/Manual (Navy, Adult Universal)
Stearns Inflata-Belt Max Belt Pack Automatic/Manual (Navy, Adult Universal)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the only AUTO-inflatable belts still on the market, August 22, 2013
The Stearns Inflata-Belt Max is one of the few (if not the only) remaining US Coast Guard approved AUTOMATIC inflatable belt-style PFDs still readily available. It's perfect for adults over 80lbs. who find wearing a full vest or life jacket uncomfortable, but who do not want to go without a PFD. Like most of the cheaper auto-inflating devices, when submerged in water, an internal "pill" dissolves, allowing the CO2 cartridge to inflate the device. You can also inflate it yourself by pulling the red cord to release the CO2, or it can be inflated by mouth with the built-in mouth piece. Everything is included to arm the device, and recharge kits are readily available; see Sospenders Re-Arming Kits 0923KIT00000 Kit 0923.

The Inflata-Belt Max is NOT the device you want if you're performing activities that involve frequent soaking or potential for falling in water (ie, paddleboarding, jetskiing, tubing, etc.). For those uses, choose a manual-only belt or standard life vest. The Inflata-Belt Max also requires that the wearer be conscious so that they can pull the inflated arch over their head, and be physically capable of doing so. You also must wear it on the outside of clothing in order for it to operate correctly.

Star brite Premium Marine Polish Boat Wax with PTEF
Star brite Premium Marine Polish Boat Wax with PTEF
Price: $11.71 - $40.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Apply, Works Great, and Really Lasts, July 29, 2013
I've been using Starbrite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF (32 oz. liquid version) since about 2006. It goes on very easily, spreads far, dries quickly to a haze, and is a breeze to wipe off. I always love when I've applied a fresh coat, because cleanup for the next few seasons is remarkably quick. In 10 seasons of use, I've only had to apply this to my boat about every 2-3 years, and my typical use is crabbing and fishing in the Chesapeake and it's brackish rivers. As soon as I see that stains are no longer easily washing off, I know it's time to reapply.

I also highly recommend the Starbrite Instant Hull Cleaner (CLEANER HULL QUART) which instantly removes the yellow waterline stains, blood, rust, etc, before applying the polish.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Easy to Use, July 29, 2013
The white hull below the waterline on my trailered boat was starting to develop an orangish hue from neglecting to wax the outside for a few years. Even the lower unit of the engine was turning yellow. So I picked up Starbrite Instant Hull Cleaner, and WOW! I could not believe how instantly and easily it turned the hull back to white. I simply poured the product on a small sponge and wiped it across the hull. Within seconds, all of the yellow disappeared. I rinsed and followed up with Star brite Premium Marine Polish Boat Wax with PTEF, and my 2004 Sea Hunt looks like new again.

On a 21' hull, cleaning the bottom, sides below the waterline, transom, and lower engine, I only used about 1/3 of a 32 oz. bottle.

Suncourt HC300 Heating & Air Conditioning Booster Fan
Suncourt HC300 Heating & Air Conditioning Booster Fan
Offered by Dominic's Warehouse
Price: $25.71
13 used & new from $12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly as advertised, July 24, 2013
We have a home office in a 10'x12' second-story bedroom in which two computers and monitors run an average of 8 hours a day. During the summer months, that office will often get to 85 degrees or more, even with the AC on. So I bought this register booster at a local warehouse store to see if it would help cool the room. Within 15 minutes, I had my answer: the room was actually getting chilly.

The Suncourt HC300 takes only seconds to set up, and then turns on and off automatically when it detects that the household AC is on. You can also set it to run continuously, or shut it off via the slide switch. This model generates about the same volume as a small oscillating fan or white-noise machine; the motor itself is quiet, but the movement of air through the unit obviously generates some noise. There is only one speed on this low-budget model, so if you need something quieter (like for bedroom use), you may want to opt for another model with fan speed controls.

Notes: Most older homes do not have air return ducts in each room. So in order for this unit to work, you really need to leave the room's door open so the room doesn't become pressurized which will slow down air flow. Also, if your home uses flexible supply or return ducts running through an attic, take a look up there to make sure that no one stepped on or crushed your flexible duct runs.

Project Basics 144833 Over The Door Robe Hook, 2-Pack
Project Basics 144833 Over The Door Robe Hook, 2-Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for vacation travelers, July 22, 2013
Ever stay somewhere on vacation only to find that there are not enough places to hang wet bath towels, beach towels, and bathing suits? Throw a few of these inexpensive, lightweight over-the-door hooks in your suitcase, and problem solved. We keep a few of these in every suitcase and take them on every getaway.

Shea Moisture - Ultimate Shave Brush, 1 brush
Shea Moisture - Ultimate Shave Brush, 1 brush
Offered by The Vitamin Shoppe
Price: $8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality 100% Badger Brush for Less, June 3, 2013
I stumbled upon this 100% Badger brush at Target about two years ago in the Shea Moisture products section. I've been shaving every day using Proraso green for two years, and this brush has worked perfectly. Makes a great lather and has lost only 2 or 3 bristles in 2 years. The handle is plastic and has a nice, heavy weight to it. This brush has a flat bottom on its handle and will stand upright on it's own. If you'd prefer a stand, it fits perfectly in one of the simple plastic stands like The Art of Shaving Brush Stand, Black 1 ea.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8