Profile for Bookenz > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2080

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bookenz RSS Feed (Bay area, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Clara Clark Premier 1800 Series 4pc Bed Sheet Set - Queen, White
Clara Clark Premier 1800 Series 4pc Bed Sheet Set - Queen, White
Price: $27.35
10 used & new from $27.12

5.0 out of 5 stars WoW. Just Wow., March 13, 2014
I recently received these sheets in the Queen white, and as soon as I touched them, I was amazed. They are so soft and luxurious feeling. I am majorly impressed and plan on ordering two more sets. Sleeping in these sheets feels wonderful against your skin. I almost didn't order them because of some of the (in the minority) negative reviews but then I decided that most of the reviews were positive and I'd give them a try. SO glad I did. Order these, you won't be sorry.

I must add I can't speak to the issue of fit since I have a Duxiana bed and all regular size sheets are large for this mattress. However, the pockets seem deep enough to me for a regular mattress.

Caribbean Teakwood 6.4 oz Scented Wax Melts - Top notes of leather, amber and musk followed by a spicy mixture of black tea, pepper and then aged teakwood with tones of patchouli and sandalwood - 2-Pack of naturally strong scented soy wax cubes throw 50+ hours of fragrance when melted in Scentsy®, Yankee Candle® or standard electric tart warmer
Offered by Candlecopia
Price: $11.25

Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality
Price: $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars HOT, February 26, 2014
This is my first Joey Hill book and holy hotness, I couldn't put it down! The author writes in a very seductive, sensual way. This is erotica, but it's subtle and builds slowly. I like how the story is not predictable and it keeps you wondering how it will end. Without giving away spoilers, the story is about a woman named Nicole, who has had a dom/sub online relationship with a man named Mark for many months, and even though he's forbidden it, she decides she has to meet him in person.

I definitely recommend this one. I do have to add though, that's no way to treat vegetables.

Jewtopia
Jewtopia
DVD
Price: $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously bad, February 23, 2014
This review is from: Jewtopia (Amazon Instant Video)
I only watched about the first half hour of this lame so-called comedy before I had enough. The ethnic stereotypes were blatantly offensive. But worse, than that, not funny. Do yourself a favor and say no to this one. Wish I had.

Up from the Grave: Night Huntress, Book 7
Up from the Grave: Night Huntress, Book 7
Price: $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Finale, January 31, 2014
This is a book chock full of two things: action and emotion. Up From the Grave is the seventh and final entry in the Cat and Bones Night Huntress series, and Jeaniene Frost pulls out all the stops and delivers. You won't be bored and you won't be disappointed.

The story involves the disappearance of Cat's former team members, Tate, Juan, Dave and Cooper. Cat and Bones start investigating, leading them to bad guy Madigan's involvement and a new villain. They ultimately find out more than they could have imagined, leading to other revelations. I don't want to reveal too many spoilers, so won't go into that.

Many characters from prior books make an appearance. Mencheres and Kira, Vlad and Leila (briefly), Spade and Denise (Denise is really the hero in this book and plays a major part), Ian, Don, Marie Laveau and her remnants, Tyler, Fabian the ghost, and even Timmy. The story is very edge of your seat with a few OMG moments to torture Cat, and leave you wondering what's going to happen next. The ending is satisfying, but sad because you know this is the end of the series, and, yes, it is somewhat Twilighty, as others have mentioned. I was hoping Cat and Bones would get their big wedding, but that didn't happen. Jeaniene gives a little hint in the Epilogue that maybe we'll see Cat and Bones again (probably as characters in another book), and her website teases about a possible Ian storyline, which would be very welcome. I am sad to see the series end, but I also think it was probably time (we don't want another Anita Blake. Shudder). Yes, Cat and Bones' relationship has matured and endured, and they are no longer in the first bloom of young passion. But that's how life is and characters need to develop and mature or they become static.

Although I'm not a fan of Jeaniene Frost's Night Prince books, I am looking forward to reading her new Beautiful Ashes series.

I do want to add if you haven't listened to the Night Huntress audio books, I urge you to go back to the beginning and get them. I've just finished re-listening to the first four books, which, in my opinion, are the best in the series. The narrator, Tavia Gilbert, is truly talented. She has to do a myriad of male and female voices and accents, and each one is distinctive -- you always know whose talking. Just off the top of my head, she successfully does English accents (both upper crust and cockney--Spade, Ian, Annette and Bones), Minnesota (Justine), elderly (Cat's grandparents) , Latino and Latina (Juan and another female character from the first book whose name escapes me), Romanian (Vlad), French (two different types, normal and snooty (Gregor and Canelle are unbelievably snooty), Irish, Creole (Marie), Southern (Denise) and a bunch of other characters that you recognize immediately (such as Mencheres, Tate, and Fabian). I definitely recommend the audio books.

Breeder Project
Breeder Project
Price: $7.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Alien Suffragettes, January 13, 2014
This review is from: Breeder Project (Kindle Edition)
Spoilers. Let me see if I've got this straight. Simone is one of a bunch of earth women impregnated with alien sperm and kidnapped by said aliens to their home world to be "breeders," because the few females the aliens have left are mostly barren. The aliens ("draks") are tall, dark skinned, long haired, pointy eared hunky Spocks, who have a kind of patriarchal caste society where the few women in residence are considered property and relegated to breeder or concubine status. Simone tries to organize the earth women, espousing women's rights, and becomes kind of an intergalactic Susan B. Anthony. There's a scene where the women all march down the alien street in moo-moos with picket signs, which made me smile.

Up to this point, the book is actually readable because it's about the women coping with survival. But then it just becomes about sex. Simone has been impregnated with three of the drak embryos, all from different males, although they're related. She thinks these aliens are hot and wants the babies, so doesn't have a problem having a lot of sex with all of them. So she basically goes from suffragette to hooker, except a hooker get paid and has more time off.

There were more than a few typographical errors in this book, so the editor must have had the day off. If this scenario sounds interesting to you, by all means buy this book. I decided against reading more of this author's work.

Apple iPad Air ME906LL/A (128GB, Wi-Fi, White with Silver) NEWEST VERSION
Apple iPad Air ME906LL/A (128GB, Wi-Fi, White with Silver) NEWEST VERSION
Offered by Quality Photo
Price: $775.00
25 used & new from $675.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, but had connection problem during set up, January 8, 2014
This is my favorite iPad so far, despite an initial wifi connection problem. I bought the original iPad, iPad 2, and iPad 3 (which I returned because of heating issues and thickness/weight and went back to the iPad 2).

I was ready to buy a new iPad because my iPad 2 16gb was filled up. So I decided on the iPad Air. The first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box was that it really is much lighter than even the iPad 2. The screen is the same size, but the frame is narrower, so it's smaller overall. I have the white 128gb wifi version. Set up was problematic though, which is why I've taken away a star. When asked to put in my home wifi password, I received a message that it was entered wrong. Repeatedly. Well, it wasn't wrong because it's the same password as my other wireless devices. Nothing I did would make it take the password, so I called Apple tech support. After being on the phone with the technician for at least 45 minutes, nothing worked. Turning my modem and router off and on did nothing. Changing some of the iPad's settings, again, nothing. I felt disappointed, frustrated, and let down by Apple. Finally, the tech set an appointment for me to take it into the Apple store and see if they could get it to connect to their wifi. Before we hung up, the tech suggested I connect the iPad to the iTunes on my computer and do a complete software restore and see if that would resolve the connection issue. I did this, which took about an hour, and FINALLY was able to connect to my wifi. The connection has been stable so far.

Other than the above initial connection problem, I am really loving the iPad Air. Sharp retina display, thinner and lighter, and faster connection (I use the Mercury Browser, not clunky Safari). The white frame with silver edges is really nice looking. I read a lot of ebooks, so the lighter weight is very much appreciated since it can be held comfortably with one hand. I also listen to audiobooks and this iPad has two speakers instead of one. They're located on the edge of the device, not the back, so you don't have to have the iPad back side up to get unmuffled sound. The sound quality of the iPad Air is superior to the iPad 2, and the volume can be turned up slightly louder. I've only played one game so far, Plants vs. Zombies 2, but it plays great. I don't use the camera and really wish Apple would make a version sans that option. It feels cool when holding--the iPad 3 I had got too warm on one side, which this one doesn't do. I haven't had any other problems and I think this is the best iPad yet. As far as the initial wifi connection issue I had, I'm going to assume this was a fluke with my device, and not something a lot of people are experiencing (although I have seen a few mentions of this on some of the Apple forums).

Twisted Perfection: A Novel
Twisted Perfection: A Novel
Price: $15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, December 25, 2013
I really loved this book. The characters were interesting and engaging and the story moved along nicely--in fact, I lost sleep because I didn't want to quit this very addictive book. I listed to the audiobook version and the narrators were wonderful, ESPECIALLY Sebastian York, who has the yummiest male voice ever. I never get tired of listening to him talk.

I didn't know this was not the first of the Rosemary Beach series, but if you start with this book, you won't feel like you're missing anything because the story fills in any blanks. Of course, I have to go back and read those other books now. I really enjoyed reading Woods and Della's story and am moving on to the sequel Simple Perfection.

Samson's Lovely Mortal: Scanguards Vampires, Book 1
Samson's Lovely Mortal: Scanguards Vampires, Book 1
Price: $17.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Another terrible narrator, December 22, 2013
Ugh, I could not get through this audio book because of the narrator Kevin Foley. He sounds like a newscaster or someone who is doing narration for a documentary. Definitely the wrong voice for a book with erotic scenes. Reminded me of Paul Harvey. Scanning through the series, it looks like he does most of the narration, so I'll pass on these books.

Edit: So I got the electronic version of the book and read it. While it is certainly better than the audio version (shudder), the book was only so-so. I can't see myself getting involved in this series. The vamps don't sparkle, but they are pretty goody-goody, and I prefer my vampires with more..er, bite. The writing and sex scenes are pretty juvenile. 2 1/2 stars.

Midnight's Daughter: Dorina Basarab, Dhampir, Book 1
Midnight's Daughter: Dorina Basarab, Dhampir, Book 1
Price: $20.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible narrator, December 10, 2013
I just got finished listening to all the Cassie Palmer audio books and enjoyed them. So then I moved on to Dorina, and had to stop several chapters in. The narrator Joyce Bean is just horrible. She sounds way too old to do Dorina's voice, and her male voices are the worst. She makes sexy Murcea sound like an raspy old man with a creepy Romanian accent and nothing like the suave vamp from the Cassie Palmer series. And Louis-Cesare's snooty "french" accent makes him sound so unattractive--the narrator should have tried for a young Louis Jourdan. Louis-Cesare is supposed to be Dorina's love interest in the book, but ugh, every time he speaks, I cringe.

Maybe at some point I'll buy the electronic version and read it on my iPad after I get the awful narration out of my head.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16