Profile for Matthew G. Sherwin > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 163

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Matthew G. Sherwin RSS Feed (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nabisco Ritz Crackers Roasted Vegetable
Nabisco Ritz Crackers Roasted Vegetable
Offered by Recla's Endeavors
Price: $13.43
8 used & new from $13.43

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent crackers, February 20, 2015
These Ritz Roasted Vegetable Crackers by Nabisco are terrific! True, as another reviewer notes they have a slightly oily taste to them but it didn't really bother me--in fact, I think the oily flavor brings out the vegetable taste even more! I love to snack on these and they go great with quite a few different types of cheese! I particularly enjoy these crackers with sharp cheddar cheese--they're all right by me!

Gillette Mach3 Base Cartridges 15 Count
Gillette Mach3 Base Cartridges 15 Count
Price: $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars a review from a satisfied customer !!!, February 14, 2015
As other guys have stated when reviewing this cartridge for shaving by Gillette, I also have a thick beard that comes in fast! (After just three days I begin to look as if I've been stranded on a desert island!) These Mach 3 cartridges really do an excellent job although I will say that I bought mine in a local brick and mortar store; therefore it's hard for me to comment about the mixed reviews that have been posted for this product.

Unlike the many different razors I have used in the past, these Mach3 cartridges give me an amazing, close shave without nicking me all over. I also like how the lubricating strip changes color to white so I can instantly tell that it's time to change the cartridge.

I highly recommend these Mach3 Base cartridges for shaving by Gillette. If you have concerns about the quality of the cartridges you'll get you can always try them first by getting them at a local store before buying them on this website.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2015 7:35 PM PST

Swan Songs, First Flights
Swan Songs, First Flights
Price: $39.93
25 used & new from $30.90

5.0 out of 5 stars celebrating the immortal Judy Garland, February 10, 2015
When I was young, I watched "The Wizard of Oz" on television as often as I could. I remember being mesmerized by Judy Garland's performance as Dorothy although of course the other characters are also unforgettable! As time has gone by there have been more and more CD releases of Judy's artistry and that's wonderful--this is the latest 3 CD release and I love how it focuses on both her incredible ability to perform so well in her last years with us as well as her "first flights," some priceless recordings that Judy made mostly before she started at MGM.
There are songs on this 3 CD set that have never seen the light of day and it's a true delight to listen to these CDs and marvel at how Judy could still "wow `em" even when "they" said she had lost her voice completely and couldn't belt out a song--period. Fortunately, "they" were wrong: these songs easily prove just how passionately Judy could still sing and belt out a tune whenever she wanted to and that's grand.
This is a must-have for any Garland fan--and really anyone who appreciates the work of Judy Garland, one of the most talented people we've ever seen or ever will see. Listen to how she wows her audience with a type of interaction that displays genuine warmth and that incredible voice of hers; you won't be disappointed. It's incredible how these recordings have been so carefully restored so we can continue to celebrate the great Judy Garland.
Here is a track listing so you can see just what you'll be getting with this fine CD set; there isn't a bad song in the lot--what an exceptional performer Judy was! I should also mention that the 3 CD set comes with a fine booklet that includes photos of Judy and Judy with her sisters and there are liner notes by Lawrence Schulman; John H. Haley; Scott Brogan and John Meyer.
CD NUMBER ONE

Do I Love You?
By Myself
That's Entertainment!
Rock-a-Bye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody
For Once in My Life (reprise)
"Over the Rainbow" played by the Orchestra

I Loved Him, But He Didn't Love Me

Tribute to Harold Arlen, November 17, 1968:
It's a New World
Get Happy
Orchestral "I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues"
Over the Rainbow (E.Y. Harburg-Harold Arlen)

CD TWO

Talk of the Town in London, England, (Judy performed there from December 30, 1968 to February 1, 1969):
I Belong to London
Just in Time
Just in Time (reprise)
Medley: You Made Me Love You/For Me and My Gal/The Trolley Song
For Once In My Life
San Francisco
Chicago

Talk of the Town, London, U.K. :
I Belong to London (reprise)
Medley: You Made Me Love You/For Me and My Gal/The Trolley Song

"Over the Rainbow" played by the Orchestra
Chicago
San Francisco

BONUS TRACKS:
Interview by Hans Vangkilde for Danmarks Radio, March 26, 1969, King Frederick Hotel
Rehearsal at Half Note Club, June 15, 1969
I Love a Piano
When Sunny Gets Blue

FIRST FLIGHTS: (also on the third CD)
That's the Good Old Sunny South ( performed by The Gumm Sisters)
Where the Butterflies Kiss the Buttercups Goodnight ( sung by The Gumm Sisters)
Blue Butterfly (Frances Gumm)
Hang On to a Rainbow )Frances Gumm)
The Land of Let's Pretend (by The Gumm Sisters)
Bill
Medley: On the Good Ship Lollipop/The Object of My Affection/Dinah
La Cucaracha ( sung by The Garland Sisters)
I'm Feelin' Like a Million

CARA Model 830 Cotton Glove Dispenser Box, Large, 24 Count
Price: $22.99
4 used & new from $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars all right by me !!!, November 19, 2014
These gloves have been a great help to me as my hands have very dry skin during the colder months of the year here in New York. I rub in some skin moisturizer on my hands and while I'm wearing these gloves the moisturizer never rubs off because the gloves keep the moisturizer on my hands! I should add, though, that the gloves tend to run a bit small so I am using the large size even though my hands really are medium-sized.

The softness of the cotton is excellent (feels great) and even if they shrink a little after washing them they still last a while before I have to switch to a new pair from the box.

I am also very pleased that I can still do things like type when I am wearing these gloves.

I recommend these cotton gloves by Cara.

Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable External Hard Drive with Mobile Device Backup USB 3.0  (Black) STDR1000100
Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable External Hard Drive with Mobile Device Backup USB 3.0 (Black) STDR1000100
Price: Click here to see our price
95 used & new from $55.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "I'm no schoolboy but I know what I like..." -- The Rolling Stones, August 21, 2014
I haven't completely kept up with all the latest computer technology so I was amazed and impressed by just how useful this 1 TB backup external hard drive is! I bought this at a local brick and mortar store and the only glitch was that at first my computer didn't recognize this external hard drive right away--but I kept it plugged into my USB port and rebooted my computer and then my computer recognized it very quickly!

The installation was then a breeze and so was registering this product. I was also very satisfied with the speed at which I was able to backup all the files that I wanted to backup in case my computer's hard drive ever crashes (as it has twice in the last two years alone)! It's easy to do additional backups and it's very easy to look at the files stored on the external hard drive--my Windows 7 PC automatically gave me a popup "box" that allowed me to choose to look at the files on the drive with very little effort. (It also works with USB 2.0.)

Despite the very minor glitch with my computer not recognizing this device right away I definitely recommend this external hard drive. It's got lots of space for many, many files and I can easily access them using my computer any time I want--I love it! The only way Seagate could improve this product is to make the USB cord attaching the external drive to the computer a few inches longer, but this is a relatively minor quibble since it really does the job well.

17OZ Penetrex Gel
17OZ Penetrex Gel
Price: $5.99
6 used & new from $5.16

4.0 out of 5 stars worked for me !!! (4.5 stars), August 3, 2014
This review is from: 17OZ Penetrex Gel
Liquid Plumr Penetrex Urgent Clear really did the trick when my bathroom sink was fully clogged; it had been draining slower and slower and I was hoping my handyman could take care of it but the sink simply stopped draining and I was forced to take care of it myself.

Initially it didn't look like this gel type liquid was going to work--the first few minutes the water level remained the same! However, I came back to the sink about 7 minutes later with a pot full of boiling hot water to flush it and I was very pleased to see that the gel had indeed worked and that there was no more water in the sink. I guess flushing the hot water down the sink also helped; they do say that you should do this as part of the instructions on the back of the bottle.

I have to agree with the reviewer who writes that it is a bit odd that for only partially clogged drains you should wait 15 minutes to pour down the very hot water instead of the 7 minutes to wait before pouring down the hot water if the drain is fully clogged. That surprises me and confuses me somewhat.

Nevertheless, the bottom line, in my opinion, is that this product does work and I would recommend it. I should add that my handyman thinks that if the pipe underneath the sink is white then you can use this product with less potential damage to the pipe than if the pipe is not white (!!!) but I admit I don't fully understand why that should be the case.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2014 2:26 AM PDT

Boop-Boop-A-Doop
Boop-Boop-A-Doop
9 used & new from $19.10

5.0 out of 5 stars a great compilation of Helen Kane's songs, May 25, 2014
This review is from: Boop-Boop-A-Doop (Audio CD)
Helen Kane (born Helen Schroeder in New York, August 4, 1904 [or 1903] – September 26, 1966) sings delightfully on this CD with 27 tracks including 4 that were recorded in 1950 and 1951 when she experienced a true revival in her career. True, Helen’s career did have its ups and downs, but on this album she sings marvelously and I always enjoy listening to her sing! These songs have been presented here from her 78rpm recordings and indeed we get all of Helen’s 78rpm recordings on just one CD—a great feature!

Helen is in perfect form all throughout these numbers; her keen sense of timing and excellent diction served her well. Moreover, the musical accompaniments are very well arranged. We hear her work so well with greats like Leonard Joy & His Orchestra; Nat Shilkret & His Orchestra; Jimmy Carroll & His Orchestra; George Siravo & His Orchestra and even André Previn & His Orchestra!
In addition, there are songs that couldn't have been done any better than Helen Kane does them here—two versions of “I Wanna Be Loved By You” (one version from 1928 and the other from 1950 when Helen dubbed Debbie Reynolds’ voice in “Three Little Words”); He’s So Unusual” from the 1929 film “Sweetie” starring Helen and there are other numbers of particular interest from the films “Dangerous Nan McGrew;” “Pointed Heels” and “Heads Up!” I really have to say that given Helen’s terrific voice it’s a puzzle to me as to why she didn't have a longer career as a songbird particularly in films but at least what she gave us is memorable and very long lasting.

I highly recommend this CD for fans of Helen Kane and anyone who likes this genre of music. Helen was a true artist and I admire her so much!

This Is My Song
This Is My Song
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful love song that still sounds great today, May 15, 2014
This review is from: This Is My Song (MP3 Music)
Petula Clark may not have considered this song by Charlie Chaplin her very favorite song but I think it's excellent, memorable and exceptionally poignant. Indeed, Petula sings this so flawlessly that if she truly had any major reservations about this ballad she certainly never shows it when she sings it here! The lush musical arrangement enhances the number and overall it's a very strong song that stands the test of time. I highly recommend this song for all fans of Petula Clark, Charlie Chaplin and classic love songs.

Children's Book + E-Video :" Rover and the Dog Hotel" (Animals Habitats & Environment children's books collection)(Dogs Story): A fun bedtime story and a few moments of fun with your kids ages 3-10
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars the importance of treating pets (and other people) with respect, gratitude and true kindness, April 22, 2014
Uncle Amos has released a very fine book for toddlers and young kids that is sure to entertain them and teach them an important lesson about life at the same time! Grownups can happily bond with small kids as they read this book together and that’s grand. The vocabularies of young children will also be enhanced as they read this book and discover new words. I must say that I really like the way Amos writes for young children—I can really tell how much love he genuinely has for them by his style! Moreover, the illustrations by Malgorzata Godziuk are beautiful and they enhance the book immensely! There’s even an e-video book gift that goes along with this book!

At the start of the tale we meet the Rhone family that has the benefits of a most loyal and hardworking dog named Rover (a dog that also represents a person) that does so much to help them—for example, Rover makes his own breakfast every morning and even prepares breakfast for the young kids Joy and Martin! But Rover doesn’t stop there; Rover also gently helps Joy, who is only three years old, get out of bed when she really doesn’t want to and he even dresses her to make sure she is ready for her day! Rover does numerous other tasks without the slightest complaint including getting Martin away from playing video games so Martin can have his own breakfast and start his day, too!

But one day the father announces that the family is taking a trip to Bermuda—yet unfortunately Rover just can’t go with them because he’s a dog and not a person! They somewhat reluctantly decide that Rover will have to stay in a kennel (the cheapest they can find) called “The Dog House” and they don’t even take him there to be kind to him—they make him walk to the kennel himself! However, while the family is not having the best vacation in Bermuda and they miss Rover because they don’t have him around to help them, Rover discovers that the kennel is actually a great place for him to live with a kindly older woman named Mrs. Cane and many happy, friendly dogs for Rover to make friends with—and Rover finally gets the appreciation he so richly deserved all along!

Of course there’s more to the story than this but I’ll stop here to avoid spoiling it all for you! Suffice it to say that the moral of the story is that you shouldn’t take people (in this case Rover represents a person) for granted because someday they may not be around to help you and it could be too late for you to get them back. The story also teaches that sometimes things that might not be so great (“The Dog House”) turn out to be unexpectedly wonderful!

Great job, Uncle Amos and Malgorzata! Please keep these very special children’s books coming—I can only wish that I had such wonderful children’s books when I was a kid!

Maya & Filippo Separate in Skagway
Maya & Filippo Separate in Skagway
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars “It’s been bad so far but I can turn it around.” -- another very special "Maya & Filippo" children's book !!!, April 21, 2014
Alinka Rutkowska has done it yet again! Her children’s books in the “Maya & Filippo” series always impress me—she write so well; I can tell by the way she writes that she truly loves young children and she wants to teach them very important lessons about life. I should add that the illustrations by Konrad Checinski are, as always, just perfect—warm, colorful and they really enhance the book a great deal! Grownups can happily bond with small kids as they read this book together and the vocabularies of young kids and toddlers alike will be enhanced as they read this book and discover new words. I also like that there is a short quiz at the end of the book along with a few extra fun facts about Alaska, Skagway and even bears that make this a truly special children’s book. I love it!

Maya and Filippo are not just brother and sister—they are also best friends! They travel the globe on their parents’ ship which is called The Fun Princess and they also enjoy the company of their pet cat Otello. At the start of this story Maya and Filippo get off their ship when it docks at Skagway in Alaska and we learn that Skagway was the place where the “gold rush” occurred over one hundred years ago! Maya feels very excited to be arriving in Skagway but Filippo is not so enthusiastic; and some very different things happen to Maya and Filippo as they separate for the day and go around Skagway and other sites nearby—Maya and their mother go on a train ride called The White Pass and they “(see) beautiful mountains and lakes, old bridges and dark tunnels.” Filippo and their father, on the other hand, go to a playground but it rains and Filippo is upset by that even though his father tells him not to let the rain get him down and that “the whole day (isn’t) ruined. You can turn it around.” Filippo and their dad then go for hot chocolate but poor Filippo’s luck is still not so good—some hot chocolate spills into his lap and yet again their father has to comfort Filippo and tell him to keep a positive attitude; he tells his son Filippo not to let it bother him too much.

Once back at the ship the family is reunited and Filippo thinks and thinks—and he finally learns the important lesson that attitude (and not letting things make you feel unhappy) is everything and that things can only bother you if you let them! After all, for example, Filippo realizes that maybe his accident with the hot chocolate was “for the best because we are now (all) here together.” Maya and Filippo then go on shore again, this time with their parents; they go to visit the Lower Lake. They see a bear and when Maya and Filippo realize their parents have temporarily lost them the kids use their heads and sing a happy song and the happy song scares away the bar even before their parents can catch up with them! Thus now both Maya and Filippo realize the importance of using positive thinking (and feeling happy instead of sad or irritable) to solve problems and they realize they should avoid giving up when faced with a problem or challenge. Kids reading this book will also realize the lesson that staying happy helps people avoid feeling worried, frightened or disenchanted.

Of course there’s even a little bit more to the story than just this but I’ll stop here to avoid spoiling it all for you! Suffice it to say that toddlers and young kids alike will be captivated by this educational yet fun and entertaining story about the importance of keeping a positive attitude and staying happy even when things don’t seem to be going your way.

Great job as always, Alinka and Konrad! Please, keep these wonderful children’s books coming—they are such a thoughtful, caring and special gift for children everywhere! I can only wish I had such delightful children’s books when I was a kid!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2015 7:47 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20