Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Profile for Blaine T. Jones > Reviews

Browse

Blaine T. Jones' Profile

Customer Reviews: 107

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Blaine T. Jones RSS Feed (Dahlonega, GA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Remington Industries 20UL1007STRKIT UL1007 20 AWG Gauge Stranded Hook-Up Wire Kit, 300V, 0.0320" Diameter, 25', 3" Length
Price: $24.24
2 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality wire., November 14, 2015
Not much to say other than it's wire and it works.
I only needed a single wire to run from my truck's tail light, underneath the truck, into the cab and into the car stereo to trigger the backup camera.
But I figured I'd get this box of wires while I was at it so I would have them on hand in the future.
They did the trick.

Pioneer AVHX5700BHS Double-DIN DVD Receiver with 7-Inch Motorized Display, Bluetooth, Siri Eyes Free, SiriusXM-Ready, HD Radio, Android Music Support, Pandora, and Dual Camera Inputs
Price: $306.99
31 used & new from $260.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Great receiver with a few drawbacks., October 22, 2015
I'm loving this receiver but it does have some drawbacks.
I've been a SiriusXM subscriber since 2004 (Sirius at the time before the merger), so the add-on SiriusXM tuner was a must as well.
The functionality is very nice but I do have a few gripes about it. I had a Sirius Starmate receiver in my truck before and it had artist and song alerts. Let's say you really love The Beatles - when a Beatles song comes on you could press the memo button. It would ask if you wanted to store the artist or the song. Next time it comes on, the Starmate would alert you to that artist or song, whichever one you chose.
I've looked all over the manual and through the Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS' settings and can't find how to do that anywhere. The SiriusXM tuner, SiriusXM SXV300v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit for Satellite Radio says it supports that functionality but I guess Pioneer has chosen not to implement it in the receiver. That's a shame, but something I can live with.
There are other things that bother me, such as only having 6 channel presents per screen. 10 would've been nicer.
But there are other things that I absolutely love about the SiriusXM integration that I didn't have with my old receiver.
This one will buffer the audio on your first 6 presets. So if you switch to a preset, you can rewind it to see what you might've missed.
I love that feature and use it a lot - mostly with the Tune Scan button - it will go through and play a few seconds of all the songs in the buffer. When it starts playing one you like, you just click play to stop scanning. Very cool.

Random thoughts...
The ability to play from a USB stick is nice but in practice, this receiver doesn't exactly shine. When playing from USB, the interface becomes very laggy and slow. It works... but the interface isn't nearly as responsive.

A one-button access to the camera would be nice to have. I installed the micro bypass switch MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers with this unit so that I can see video in motion. In order to see the rear camera I have to go into settings, camera and turn it on. To turn it off you just click the X on the image when it's displayed. But to turn it on again, you have to go back into settings, camera, and on again.

HD Radio is nice to have. I had no idea it sounded so good. I live in the Atlanta radio market, which has got to be one of the worst in the country, especially for rock music listeners. But it's nice to have this option even though there are very few listenable stations.

All in all, this is a great receiver with a few drawbacks but I'm loving it.

January 14, 2016 - For the most part I still love this receiver but playback from a USB flash drive continues to be frustrating. I even bought a high speed stick (SDCZ73-128G-G46) hoping to see a performance boost but no such luck.
Even after having the head unit build a database on the stick, the interface is so slow it's barely usable. And album art is very hit and miss on whether or not it'll show while playing.
The AppRadio stuff is pretty worthless and I've given up trying to see any value in it.

One good thing I have discovered though is that when connected to your phone via Bluetooth, the navigation buttons work with all the music services I've tried. Pandora, Google, Amazon music... the play, pause, forward and back buttons work from the head unit though album only displays from Pandora far as I can tell.

Esky EC135-05 Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 7 Infrared Night Vision LED
Offered by Hisgadget Inc
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but not great., October 22, 2015
The image on this camera is pretty good in the right conditions.
One issue is that it seems very susceptible to glare and this is becomes a problem in a couple of situations.
One - if sunlight is shining directly on it, you will see glare artifacts on your screen.
Two - Since this is mounted to the license plate, at night your license plate lights shine directly towards the camera lens and that can cause some glare issues.
Otherwise, the camera does a fine job.
One gripe about installation - the included video cable isn't long enough.
I have a Ford Ranger, which is a small pickup truck. Running the cable from behind the radio to the back of the truck, the cable fell about a foot or two short. I got a coupler and just attached another RCA cable but later decided to just cut it off and solder an extension cable on to minimize any chance of it coming loose.
Anyway, for the price it's nice enough but not perfect.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2015 12:15 AM PDT

iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6s Plus 6s 5s 5c Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge S6 S5 Note 5 4
Price: $19.95
6 used & new from $11.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect but one fatal flaw for some phones., September 10, 2015
I loved the previous version and would have just stuck with it. But I recently bought an Asus Zenfone 2 and it was too wide to fit in the old holder.
Just bought this one and installed it yesterday. The ride to work was fine, however the ride back revealed some flaws in this version of the product. While the arms that hold the sides of the phone are plenty wide enough, they're too short - they don't stick out forward far enough.
With a slim case on my phone, the arms barely reach the front of the phone. Several times on the way home, the phone popped right out of the mount and onto the floor.
I do love everything else about this mount, though. The adjustability is great - the bottom rest can be moved side to side to accommodate a charging cable and the mount can be rotated, titled, moved forward, backward, any where to put the phone just where you want it.
It's a shame about the short arms though. I may just have to perform surgery on the iOttie and glue on something else to the insides of those arms - something to make them stretch forward a bit to cradle my phone and not let it go.
This would be nearly perfect if the arm length were as adjustable as everything else.

Dorman 973-411 Blower Motor Resistor Kit
Dorman 973-411 Blower Motor Resistor Kit
Price: $17.00
30 used & new from $13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit and functionality., April 20, 2015
The A/C and heat in my 2001 Ford Ranger would only work on high. I did some googling around and all signs pointed to the blower motor resistor.
This kit had everything I needed.
I wasn't sure I would need the connector that came with the kit. Ideally, I would like to have just unplugged the old resistor and plugged the new one in. But over time it seems like the existing connector had gotten fused to the resistor and I was unable to remove it without breaking it.The new one comes with crimping connectors but I didn't have a good crimper so I just got out the soldering iron. I took a picture of the existing connection first so I would know what color wire went where, then cut the wires on the old connector and soldered the new one in and wrapped the connections in electrical tape.
I can once again use all speeds of my fan from low to high. This was a good purchase.

Hint: One of the online how-to's to replace this resistor said I would need to remove the windshield washer reservoir to get to the blower motor. I started to do that but realized on my Ranger that the reservoir was a solid molded piece with the radiator coolant reservoir. Rather than go down that road, I found I could squeeze my hand and a small socket wrench (with an extension) to remove and replace the resistor. It was a very tight squeeze and frustrating at times - there was very little room to twist the ratchet so it took quite a while to remove (and replace) the screws holding the resistor inside the motor housing.

Dorman 520-237 Control Arm
Dorman 520-237 Control Arm
Price: $41.78
50 used & new from $34.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price and perfect fit on my 2001 Ford Ranger., April 20, 2015

Dorman 520-238 Control Arm
Dorman 520-238 Control Arm
Price: $42.88
52 used & new from $34.76

The work was a bit beyond my comfort level so I paid a friend of a friend to do it for me. This got rid of that annoying creaking noise in my truck and she's running smooth once again.

Dorman 901-332 Power Mirror Switch
Dorman 901-332 Power Mirror Switch
Price: $17.20
44 used & new from $15.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, April 20, 2015
Excellent replacement on my 2001 Ford Ranger. Nice to have the ability to move my mirrors again.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and support., June 24, 2014
For perspective, I'm leaving my original review here since the comments to this review wouldn't make any sense if I changed it.
Original Review:

For some reason, the reviews are all mixed here - some of them are for a car adapter or other Mpow chargers.
This review is for the 36W 5-port Smart Wall Charger.
There are 3 regular charging ports and 2 "SuperCharger" ports (their words, not mine).
Unfortunately, I've tried a multitude of devices and cables and have yet to see the SuperCharger ports work.
I tried charging my Nokia Lumia 920, a Nexus 7 tablet, Samsung Galaxy S5, and some other Android phone (a friends). None would recognize the charger.
I can only assume I got a defective unit. By the time I tried all these devices and cables, I had let my Amazon return window pass me by so I'm stuck with it now.
It does charge out of the three regular ports so it's not a total loss, though. But considering I bought it for the SuperCharger ports, I'm bummed.
[End of original review]

Okay, I contacted support as requested by the seller and they replaced my charger. I'm happy to report that the new charger works well. Apparently I did originally just get a bad unit, which happens to every company and every product.
So, the new charger, works great on all 5 ports, and charges my devices quickly out of the SuperCharger ports.
Happy with the product now and the support.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2014 10:40 AM PDT

Norpro Mandoline Slicer Grater with Guard
Norpro Mandoline Slicer Grater with Guard
Offered by Kitchen Outfitters Inc.
Price: $18.12
12 used & new from $14.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome slicer - and it slices meat too!, June 24, 2014
There was little in the product description to indicate that this would slice meat but I decided to take a chance. I buy raw turkey breasts and smoke them at home - makes a great sandwich. But using even the sharpest of kitchen knives, it's tough to get the slices as thin as I'd like them. I considered an electric deli slicer but I just don't have the room in my kitchen and don't need it taking up space somewhere else.
So I gave this a shot and so glad I did. It sliced through the turkey much easier than I was expecting. My first few cuts were thicker than I would've liked so with a few turns of the knob I was making thinly shaved slices of turkey.
If all I ever use this for is sandwich meat, I'd be thrilled with my purchase. But I've got my eye on it as a cheese grater for taco night as well. Can't wait to put this bad boy to work!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11