Profile for Blaine T. Jones > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 99

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Blaine T. Jones RSS Feed (Dahlonega, GA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Mpow® 36 Watts (5v/7.2a) 5-port Smart Wall Charger Multi Port USB Charger Portable Battery Charger for Iphone 4s, 5s, 5c, 6, 6 Plus; Ipad 4, Mini, Air; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 3; Galaxy Note 3, 2; Galaxy S4, S3; HTC One; and Other Smartphones Tablets, Power Cord Length: 8 Feet
Offered by Patozon
Price: $19.54
2 used & new from $19.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and support., June 24, 2014
For perspective, I'm leaving my original review here since the comments to this review wouldn't make any sense if I changed it.
Original Review:

For some reason, the reviews are all mixed here - some of them are for a car adapter or other Mpow chargers.
This review is for the 36W 5-port Smart Wall Charger.
There are 3 regular charging ports and 2 "SuperCharger" ports (their words, not mine).
Unfortunately, I've tried a multitude of devices and cables and have yet to see the SuperCharger ports work.
I tried charging my Nokia Lumia 920, a Nexus 7 tablet, Samsung Galaxy S5, and some other Android phone (a friends). None would recognize the charger.
I can only assume I got a defective unit. By the time I tried all these devices and cables, I had let my Amazon return window pass me by so I'm stuck with it now.
It does charge out of the three regular ports so it's not a total loss, though. But considering I bought it for the SuperCharger ports, I'm bummed.
[End of original review]

Okay, I contacted support as requested by the seller and they replaced my charger. I'm happy to report that the new charger works well. Apparently I did originally just get a bad unit, which happens to every company and every product.
So, the new charger, works great on all 5 ports, and charges my devices quickly out of the SuperCharger ports.
Happy with the product now and the support.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2014 10:40 AM PDT

Norpro Mandoline Slicer Grater with Guard
Norpro Mandoline Slicer Grater with Guard
Offered by MyKitchCo
Price: $16.82
16 used & new from $15.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome slicer - and it slices meat too!, June 24, 2014
There was little in the product description to indicate that this would slice meat but I decided to take a chance. I buy raw turkey breasts and smoke them at home - makes a great sandwich. But using even the sharpest of kitchen knives, it's tough to get the slices as thin as I'd like them. I considered an electric deli slicer but I just don't have the room in my kitchen and don't need it taking up space somewhere else.
So I gave this a shot and so glad I did. It sliced through the turkey much easier than I was expecting. My first few cuts were thicker than I would've liked so with a few turns of the knob I was making thinly shaved slices of turkey.
If all I ever use this for is sandwich meat, I'd be thrilled with my purchase. But I've got my eye on it as a cheese grater for taco night as well. Can't wait to put this bad boy to work!

Carlson 0930PW Extra-Wide Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door, White
Carlson 0930PW Extra-Wide Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door, White
Price: $38.34
30 used & new from $35.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, March 16, 2014
My wife and I don't have kids in the house but we do have a zoo of dogs and cats.
Everyone's housebroken but one our dogs has been taking to marking his territory on my office chair frequently.
I set up a webcam to catch him in the act so I knew it was the same one every time, and I did the whole "bad dog!" routine but nothing worked.
So, I figured a baby gate would be perfect. Problem is, the cats' food is in the office as well as the litter box. I thought I would buy a cheap baby gate and cut a cat-sized hole in it to allow them to get in and out, leaving the dogs out. During my search for baby gates on Amazon I ran across this item. Cat door built in, door that I can open and close instead of stepping over the whole gate or moving out of the way when I needed to exit or enter the room... It seemed like the perfect solution.
Got it in 2 days via Amazon Prime, installed it in a snap and am thrilled with the results. The door has a child-proof latch but that's not needed for us - fortunately, the door is also spring loaded so that if I would ever forget to close it, it would go back to a closed position (make sure you install so that it opens away from the room, otherwise the dog could just nudge it open).

A few things I could complain about but really aren't enough to deduct stars from the rating...

1. The cat door is not removable. I'd really like to take it off, but instead I used a small bungie cord to tie it open.
2. It would be nice if the main door were a bit wider. When opening it, it's a bit of a tight squeeze for an adult to go through.
3. As the pictures shows, there's a bar along the bottom that goes all the way from one side to the other. It would be nice if it went all the way to the floor in the door opening since you have to step over it and seems like an accident waiting to happen if you're not thinking, step through and your foot catches the bottom bar. That sounds like something I would do.

All in all, I thought I was going to have to modify an existing baby gate but found everything I need in this model.
No more office chair rolling in dog pee. I'm happy, cats are happy, wife is happy and the unhappy dog will just have to mark his territory outside with the other dogs.

Power Chords: A Beginner's Guide with 20 Killer Rock Riffs (Hal Leonard Guitar Method (Songbooks))
by Kirk Tatnall
Price: $13.49
29 used & new from $8.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving this book!, January 30, 2014
I'm not too far into the book but I'm already recreating some great riffs from great songs.
As has been said by other reviewers, you will not learn an entire song in this book. You'll learn only the power chord riffs, but that's what this book is all about so it's nothing to complain about.
Some pictures of fretting hand positions would have been nice but it's no deal breaker.

The included CD slowly ramps you up on each song to play the full power chord section of the lesson. You'll play the root notes first, slowly, then quickly. Some songs, such as Brain Stew have additional lessons and CD tracks to learn other skills like fret hand muting. There is a backing track to the songs as well with drums. If I were king of the world, I would have also included just the backing track for each song so you could play along with the drums and not hear the guitar on the CD.

But all-in-all the book gives me exactly what I was looking for.

Dorman 46025 PCV End Assembly for Ford Truck
Dorman 46025 PCV End Assembly for Ford Truck
Price: $12.99
16 used & new from $10.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement part but not a perfect fit., November 6, 2013
Should get the job done. When I ordered this part, the banner at the top of the page said that this part would fit my 2001 Ford Ranger. Now it says that it does NOT fit my Ranger.
At any rate, I replaced the old one with this new one today. It's a good fit for the most part but is loose on one end. I'm going to have to run to a parts store and buy a hose clamp to seal it up.
Otherwise, it seems like it should work fine.

Edit - 6 days later and it's holding up well. I did need to buy a hose clamp and tighten it on one end but that's not a big deal.
My truck is running smoother than it was before (the previous hose had a hole in it) so it's working.

Scorch Torch Aficionado Easy Slide Switch Single Jet Flame Butane Cigar Torch Lighter w/ Butane Window
Offered by Fire Sale Merchant
Price: $9.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice lighter for the price, October 12, 2013
I have a Xikar NXT Nautilus Lighter, which I love. Unfortunately, I left it at the local cigar shop. I've since gotten it back but I figured I need a backup lighter for this kind of situation. I searched Amazon and settled on this lighter.
So far, it's a nice lighter for the price. I would expect the triple flames to cause the fuel to burn quickly so that's not a problem from me.
Out of the box, it wouldn't light very well. I had to get a screwdriver and increase the fuel flow to max in order for it to light and stay lit.
Which is one bad thing about this lighter - you have to use a screwdriver to adjust the flow.
Also, it takes a couple of strikes before it will light. I've found some lighters require a breaking-in period to get over this behavior so we'll see how that ends up.
But - so far so good. I would buy it again.

First, Learn to Practice
First, Learn to Practice
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, September 23, 2013
This book was recommended on a guitar forum, so I gave it a look. I was a bit hesitant at first - with this many glowing reviews I've learned to be skeptical as many authors will plant 5 star reviews of their own book. I'm confident that's not the case here.

This is a good, easy read full of invaluable advice and tips to make your guitar practice more productive. While reading the book, I was constantly thinking to myself that these are really common-sense ideas to approach practice, yet I wasn't implementing any of this advice in my routine. My method of practicing has often been to turn the TV on and noodle away on the guitar. It was clear from the author's advice that I've been doing it wrong the whole time.

I'm the kind of the guy that doesn't believe anything anyone tells me without good reason and that's the great thing about this book. The author doesn't just say, "Do it this way," with no explanation. He says "Do it this way, and here's why..."

While there are many things to take away from this book, my biggest so far is to approach practice with a plan. Without a plan, you have no goals. And without goals, you're unlikely to achieve anything.

Now I'm confident that I can plan my practice more effectively and get a whole lot more out of it and achieve my goals.

Acoustic Guitar 5 Band EQ Equalizer LCD Tuner Pickup
Acoustic Guitar 5 Band EQ Equalizer LCD Tuner Pickup
Offered by lotmusic
Price: $13.94
8 used & new from $13.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, as long as you understand what you're in for., September 11, 2013
When rating this item, I'm taking the price into account. I might not be so generous if this cost 3x as much.
But as long as you know what you're getting, what it takes to install, and how your guitar will sound, this is a great product at a great price.

The bad part is that this kit didn't come with a single bit of instruction. As another reviewer pointed out, a template would've been extremely helpful so you could tell where to cut, and where your screws would line up. This is important because there's not much space at all in between the hole you have to cut out of your guitar, and where the screw will go.

After watching some youtube videos I decided I needed this 6 Inch LCD Digital Caliper with Extra Battery and Case. It came in very handy for measuring the size of the tuner and pre-amp and transfering those dimensions to the guitar.

I used a dremel with a heavy duty cut-off wheel to cut the opening in the guitar. I've seen videos of guys using just a drill and it just looked sloppy. The dremel was the way to go for me. Once installed, the screws were a bit off. The 2 on the bottom went right into the wood while the 2 top ones just went into the opening I had cut. A template would've really helped. If I had it to do over (and you only get one shot) I would measure a bit more carefully and maybe make the opening with 45 degree angles on the corners instead of square so that the screws have a better chance of finding wood. As it is, and since I didn't put it in an expensive guitar, it's good enough.

Instructions would have also help me determine if the pickup had an orientation it needed to follow. i.e., should the thickest part of the pickup line up under the the thickest (low E) string? Does it matter? I don't know... but considering that the side the pickup wire comes out of would be closest to the tuner that you plug it into, that's what I did. I had to dremel the slot in the bridge down further so the saddle would fit back in. Not something for the faint of heart, but seemed to have worked out okay.

The tuner itself isn't quite as helpful as I had hoped. It's not like my trusty Snark SN-1 Tuner, that finds the note you're picking. You have to pick the string you want to tune to - E, A, D, G, B, E, then tune, then move to the next note. Does the job if you don't have another tuner handy but I doubt I'll use this tuner at all as long as I have my Snark with me.

The sound - be prepared for an electric guitar sound. Not knowing all that much about guitar components (live and learn though, am I right?), I was expecting an acoustic sound amplified. Sounds like a transducer pickup would probably have been the better option over this piezo pickup.

But for this price, it's hard to complain about anything. The installation is not for anyone not familiar with basic wood working but I had no prior experience with guitar repair at all so it's not too bad at all.

Snark SN4 All Instrument Tuner Metronome
Snark SN4 All Instrument Tuner Metronome
Price: Click here to see our price
23 used & new from $8.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product but it needs a kick-stand, August 29, 2013
I bought this not for the tuner, but because I needed a metronome.
However, I had to give the tuner a try as well. With my trusty Snark SN-1 Tuner attached to my guitar's headstock and this Snark SN-4 on the table, I proceeded to tune my guitar. I was impressed that both tuners were showing identical tuning even down to the fluctuations as the note rang out.
As a metronome, I don't know what kind of frills others may offer but this does everything I need to keep in time.

I only have one minor complaint. You can't view the Snark SN-4 at any kind of sharp angle. You need to view it head on. If you place it on your music sheet stand, that's great. But if it's not facing you, or lying flat on a desk, you may have trouble reading the screen. An integrated flip out kick-stand would make this perfect.

Buzz-Off® Fret Leveling Kit
Buzz-Off® Fret Leveling Kit
Offered by J.S. Bogdanovich Guitars
Price: $18.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Very rarely would this be the right tool for the job..., August 29, 2013
This review is from: Buzz-Off® Fret Leveling Kit
When I bought a used guitar and had a buzzing fret, I just searched Amazon and ordered this kit on impulse.
Since it was indeed on impulse, I did my research *after* I placed my order. Web searches about this product do not leave many kind words other than Amazon reviews.
But I was prepared to be the exception to the rule.

The kit arrived in my mailbox quickly.
I prepared my guitar. I knew I had buzzing on the 8th fret so I used the included steel pins to run down the fretboard and sure enough, there was rocking while covering the 7th, 8th, and 9th fret. The 9th was high (or was it? Stay tuned...).
I sanded down the 9th and eliminated the rocking. Then found rocking on the next 3 frets. I sanded another down and when it appeared there was no more rocking, I re-strung the guitar and had the same buzz on the same 8th fret. I'm still hitting a high fret higher up the fretboard (toward the guitar body) which leads to the conclusion that the other frets aren't high - the 8th fret is low. But of course, this kit can't tell you that because it only covers 3 to 4 frets at a time.

The only way to solve this is to sand down all the frets to accommodate the height of the 8th.

So, yeah... interesting idea but unfortunately I can't see this being the solution to the majority of cases that this product attempts to address.

Twenty bones (with shipping) down the drain but live and learn, right?

There are a multitude of sites and videos that show the correct way to level your frets and now I'm off to gather the tools necessary to do it right.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 2:06 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10