Profile for Sigrid Macdonald > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 149

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sigrid Macdonald RSS Feed (Ottawa)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
No More Sleepless Nights
No More Sleepless Nights
by Shirley Motter Linde
Price: $12.96
278 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Comprehensive But..., April 25, 2015
This book was certainly thorough, but for long-time insomniacs who have tried everything and researched on the web, I don't think it was worth reading. I didn't learn anything. That doesn't mean that it's not rife with information. If you just developed a sleep problem, or you haven't spent hours or years reading about various ways to resolve this dilemma, this book may be very useful for you. But if you have already been there, done that, manufactured the T-shirt, don't bother.

Facing the Challenge
Facing the Challenge
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Man, Remarkable Story, September 6, 2014
Facing the Challenge is a phenomenal story about a boy who is faced with severe adversity. Randy Romain had everything when he was young and then one by one, he lost his ability to move and to see and to function effectively in the world. It was devastating. But did he give up? No. With courage and humor and determination, Randy motored on and even got to Europe and got married. I have yet to meet anyone who inspires me as much as Randy with his wonderful attitude and his ability to see the beauty in life even though so much has been taken from him. And he tells his whole story with candor - he is not one of those obnoxious positive attitude people who pretend that they are not suffering. I highly recommend Facing the Challenge.

American Wife: A Novel
American Wife: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $10.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, March 10, 2014
I love Curtis Sittenfeld and think that she is a very talented novelist, and I thoroughly enjoyed the first half if not two thirds of this book. But I have serious reservations about how ethical it is to use the real-life biography of Laura Bush as the basis for this story. First, it's tantamount to libel if what Curtis wrote about her isn't true (and if it is true, why not write a nonfiction piece?). Second, I read Laura Bush's autobiography. She describes her reaction and that of the townsfolk to her tragic car accident quite differently and certainly not as something that haunted her every day of her life or shaped her crucial life decisions. I don't want to put forth any spoilers but because we have to hypothesize as to which part of the Bush story is true and which is false, there are actions that the Bush-like character, Alice, takes that would be very damaging if they were committed by Laura Bush.

Having said that, the book is an engaging read, compulsively so. I really liked it except it had an abrupt ending. Still, it made me think about all kinds of things – how so much of our lives are shaped by events out of our control; how many different ways there are to look at a situation through a particular prism; how hard it would be to be first lady and not to be able to express one's opinion; and how marriages between Republicans and Democrats ever work out.

William and Mary: Series 3 [Region 2]
William and Mary: Series 3 [Region 2]
DVD ~ Martin Clunes
Offered by RareConsoles - Australia / USA Direct
Price: $26.95
5 used & new from $24.40

5.0 out of 5 stars The show was fantastic but I was not happy with the seller, December 16, 2013
I would give a five star rating to the actual series because this is one of the best shows I've watched in a long time. However, I was not pleased with the Amazon seller because this DVD refused to play on my DVD player. I was lucky that I got it to work on my computer so I was able to watch the show. But sellers in the UK should be aware that when they are mailing to North America, we have different equipment. I've never had any trouble ordering Downton Abbey or the original William and Mary series 1 so I was confused and disappointed that this DVD would not play anywhere except on my PC. Having said that, the show itself is fabulous and I highly recommend it. It's a drama and a comedy and a madhouse at times, always with a social message about different types of death – suicide, euthanasia – and different types of birth – blind couple, woman who was HIV-positive. Delightful with great acting. Just cannot beat Martin Clunes but everyone else also does their part.

My Sister, My Love: The Intimate Story of Skyler Rampike (P.S.)
My Sister, My Love: The Intimate Story of Skyler Rampike (P.S.)
by Joyce Carol Oates
62 used & new from $0.74

2.0 out of 5 stars Where Was the Editor?, August 18, 2013
I've been reading Joyce Carol Oates since 1979, starting with Them, and I almost always like her work. Some of it has been brilliant. But, as is the case for many prolific writers, I think that JCO could have written 10 fewer books and added depth to the 10 before that.

In particular My Sister, My Love is an incredibly difficult read. First, it's *way* too long. Second, it rambles and repeats itself. Third, it's hard to like the narrator. Fourth, and perhaps most important, it is cruel to the Ramsey family because they have not been proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt by any court of law, and this was never a slamdunk like OJ.

Although much of the evidence points toward the murder of JonBenet being an inside job, some evidence doesn't fit (e.g., the family being cleared by DNA) and if there is even a possibility that they're all innocent, including the late Patsy, this book is unbearably mean-spirited. Yes, I can't look at the pictures of that little six-year-old girl dressed up like a 16-year-old, but I'm not from the deep South where beauty pageants are considered much more acceptable than in the North.

In general, except to resurrect my interest in the JonBenet Ramsey case, this book did little to advance my knowledge base and it certainly was not entertaining. Also, I am not keen on the sardonic style.

A Late Quartet
A Late Quartet
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Synchronicity, July 8, 2013
This terrific movie - not to be confused with Quartet by Dustin Hoffman, also released in 2012 - was all about a group of four people who played together for several decades until one suddenly needed to retire. The acting was superb and the music was delightful, but for me the most important part of the movie was the message: the sum is greater than the individual parts.

The only way a quartet works is by each person bending and flexing and being willing to compromise and acknowledge and hear the needs of the other people involved. If that doesn't happen, it's an imbalanced seesaw that could crash.

Although the quartet played classical music, this film made me think about bands like the Beatles and the Stones and even some local Canadian ones I've followed over the years where members have started to hate each other. They go solo for a while, but they're never quite as good by themselves as they are when they're playing as part of the whole. But much like marriages, some people - I would venture to say many, if not most - cannot go the distance over the decades. It's rare to see people who can work that out as members of a quartet or a band. All the more power to them when they do.

Metamucil Sugar Free Original Smooth Texture Powder - 114 Doses, 23.3ounces
Metamucil Sugar Free Original Smooth Texture Powder - 114 Doses, 23.3ounces
Offered by Mr. Medical
Price: $26.10
9 used & new from $20.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Product but Its Availability Was Misrepresented by Amazon, May 20, 2013
Okay, maybe Amazon can't keep track of every single product, but apparently Metamucil had problems with their production during 2013. I found this out by going to my pharmacy which no longer carried the product because of the company's "temporary" problem. That's when I jumped on Amazon to see if I could buy it elsewhere.

Amazon clearly stated that it was in stock so I ordered two large bottles. Then a month later I called Amazon asking the status of my order and they said they were still waiting because of the production problem; they didn't really have it in stock. Not acceptable. I canceled the order. Everyone was having problems getting a hold of Metamucil so I don't expect Amazon to have had a special stash - but I did expect them to say out of stock. Then I wouldn't have ordered it.

Moreover, now that some Metamucil seems to be returning, Amazon has tripled the price? Come on! Not fair.

The Year of the Rabbit: A novel about Fate, Family and Forgiveness.
The Year of the Rabbit: A novel about Fate, Family and Forgiveness.
by Florence T Lyon
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming, April 1, 2013
This charming coming-of-age story traces the life of young Sera who finally meets her biological father - a priest. It has romance, intrigue, poses difficult ethical questions about the church and clergy, and explores complicated family dynamics that involve loss, sorrow, guilt and finally joy and redemption. Set against the beautiful backdrop of late 1970s Seguin Sound in Northern Ontario. Well worth reading.

Jadon the Sea Bound Ohnyx
Jadon the Sea Bound Ohnyx
by Jacob A Landis
Price: $9.99
4 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining, February 14, 2013
Jadon is brave and bold, trying to survive life on the rough seas without his parents and with the responsibility of his little brother. He is trying to work out the secrets to his past to better understand himself and to feel complete.

This book is full of adventure, suspense, romance, surprise twists, and introspection. Although primarily geared toward a young audience, the book appealed to me - an adult - and I found it well-written and compelling.

Stuck
Stuck
by Lamar Van Dyke
Price: $8.99
22 used & new from $0.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Should I Stay or Should I Go?, January 25, 2013
This review is from: Stuck (Paperback)
Stuck is a wonderful story about two conjoined twins with conflicting needs and desires. It is well-written and researched and portrays the characters in a very respectful manner. Although they have mishaps and the occasional slapstick moment, and the book is comical, at heart I found it to be a drama about what it would be like to be glued to another human being 24/7, day in day out, for the rest of your life. Most of us would find that thought to be horrifying. I have enough trouble making up my own mind - what if I had to deal not only with my ambivalence but with someone else's opposing views: someone who was part of me?

I could never have privacy. I would constantly have to compromise. Selfishness, even for one day, would not be an option if I always had to think about the other person that I dragged around with me all day long and vice versa. And how would I satisfy my needs for sex, companionship, or fun? Find out how Adrian and Marlena do it in Stuck.

In many ways, I found the situation to be allegorical because that's what people have to do in marriage or any serious relationship. They may not be literally stuck together, but they are metaphorically joined and have to look out for each other and make sacrifices for the good of the couple.

The characters are quirky and delightful, and I agree with the poster who said that the book was slightly perverse - in a good way! Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15