Profile for Great Faulkner's Ghost > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 409

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Great Faulkner's Ghost RSS Feed (Washington, DC)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
X-Seed Ultra Premium Bluegrass Blend Lawn Seed Mixture, 3-Pound
X-Seed Ultra Premium Bluegrass Blend Lawn Seed Mixture, 3-Pound
Price: $11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars penny-wise and pound foolish, June 29, 2014
This is hardly a premium mix, and the description of it being of he same high quality of the name brands is simply untrue. This blend is 60% Argyle Kentucky Bluegrass, a "common" bluegrass that is about as bad as it gets -- poor disease tolerance, and quite stemmy and unattractive. Merit (20%) is slightly better, but undesirable in my view. I have never heard of Kelly, and it is not widely used, probably for good reason. The price is low, but the so is the quality. Fine, if you want that, but penny-wise and pound foolish for anyone who wants a good lawn.

Miracle-Gro 1001501 All Purpose Liquid Plant Food Jug, 32-Ounce
Miracle-Gro 1001501 All Purpose Liquid Plant Food Jug, 32-Ounce
Price: $6.27
16 used & new from $5.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, but not as economical as the granular Miracle-Gro, June 22, 2014
Just to state the obvious, perhaps, you are paying for convenience here by getting it in liquid form. If you don't mind digging into the powder bag and getting your fingers a little blue (always happens with me), the granular Miracle-Gro costs about 1/3rd as much for an equal amount of NPK. However, it works great, just like granular Miracle Gro, although I would note that both forms are very short duration (7-14 days), so you might wish to consider a time release product if you have a large yard or garden.

The Complete Inspector Lynley Mysteries
The Complete Inspector Lynley Mysteries
DVD ~ Nathaniel Parker
Price: $114.96
12 used & new from $94.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent British Crime Series Marred by Poor Video Transfer, June 22, 2014
Although this is "letterboxed," it was not widescreen as I expected. The letterboxed image is small and is surrounded by a black field on all sides -- sort of floats there. If you know how to fiddle with the zoom controls on your DVD player, you can get an approximation of true anamorphic widescreen (ie, basically, fil the screen without stretching or distortuon), but the picture is VHS quality at best. I'll probably keep the set anyway because it is not otherwise available now, but unless you need it now, I would await a proper release in Blu-Ray or at the very least, true anamorphic widescreen DVD.

Panasonic ES8103S Arc3 Men's Electric Shaver Wet/Dry with Nanotech Blades
Panasonic ES8103S Arc3 Men's Electric Shaver Wet/Dry with Nanotech Blades
Price: Click here to see our price
114 used & new from $75.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Noreleco works better For Me, June 21, 2014
I bought this 2 months to replace my 2 year old Norelco rotary. It's fine, but not right for me. I have a pretty light beard, and I got used to how close the Norelco could shave without causing irritation. Perhaps it's my fault, but in order to get the same close shave as I got with the Norelco, I have had to keep going over the same area several times with this shaver, which caused irritation on dry shaves. I now do a wet shave every 4th time, to get a really close shave. Part of the irritation may be from the fact that the blades get quite warm on this with dry shaving after 2 or 3 minutes of use. I'm sure a lot of people prefer foil shavers to rotaries, and that they work well for them. What I can say is that after using this for two months now, my next shaver will be a Norelco.If you are used to Norelco, stick with it would be my advice. Maybe it's all in what you are used to.

US Wire 65050 12/3 50-Foot SJTW Orange Heavy Duty Extension Cord
US Wire 65050 12/3 50-Foot SJTW Orange Heavy Duty Extension Cord
Price: $29.99
6 used & new from $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Heavy Duty, but with that It's Really Heavy, April 22, 2014
This is truly a heavy duty cord, and they weren't kidding about the heavy -- this thing weighs a ton. It has a lot of copper, obviously. If you don't need the high amp capacity, say for extension lights or light power tools, you might consider a much cheaper 16 gauge model, I use this one solely for my electric mower, which draws a lot of amps. It's really too heavy to use comfortably with electric power hand tools like trimmers and sheers, which only draw a few amps anyway.

Donizetti: L'Elisir d'Amore
Donizetti: L'Elisir d'Amore
Price: $14.20
32 used & new from $5.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective Elixer, April 6, 2014
I'm a big Hilde Gueden fan, and I bought this primarily to hear her take on this ideally coquettish role for her. She does not disappoint, but the pleasant surprise was how compelling De Stefano is here, tender and moving in ways he is not always when paired with Callas, as he so often was. The sound is not up to Decca's best for the era, quite clear and open at times, but often muffled, and there is obvious wear on the tapes. Still, Decca was doing great work at the time, and this only suffers by comparison to the Decca engineers' best efforts. Well worth owning, a treat really.

conrad-johnson MF2550 Stereo Power Amplifier
conrad-johnson MF2550 Stereo Power Amplifier
Offered by Spearit Sound
Price: $4,000.00
2 used & new from $4,000.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Power AMP Classic CJ, April 4, 2014
I'll get to the point quickly -- this is the best power amp I've heard under $8K-10K. As a 30 year Conrad-Johnson owner, I can attest that it has the warm, balmy, plush CJ sound in every fiber and circuit. It also comes closer to the McIntosh sound than any CJ amp has ever come, which I happen to think is a plus, as I really like the powerful grip and authority that Macs bring to the table. As far as recent CJ power amps, it's more articulate than than the very fine $8,000 CJ ET250s, which I auditioned for several weeks a while back, and found too reticent and slow -- well, maybe I just don't like tubes in my power amp, even if only on the input stage. There's been speculation that this design of this amp is based on the old MacCormack DNA 250, which I think is probably true, but that's like saying the Porsche 356 was based on the VW Beetle, which was also true, but which totally misses the real point. I had the DNA 250, and while it was a good, powerful, quick amp, it really was a great home theater amp IMHO, not satisfactory for true audiophile setups. The MF2550 has the instantaneous rise and thrust of the MacCormack's distributed node power supply, which was the brilliance of the design, without the rustic edges of the MacCormack's often sub-par parts bin. Is it really better than the legendary CJ 350, as CJ's PR dept implies? It's a close call, because overall, the two amps sound very much alike. But, I would say yes, because the MF2550 has 99% of the 350's feeling of effortless power, ease, and extension, but addresses what for me was the sole issue with the 350, the slight tendency to sound ever so slightly aggressive in the midrange at times. The MF2550 is super-sweet in the midrange. I would still not say it is a "tube" midrange -- it does not have the lateral expansiveness on voices that many find so engaging, but that others find too blowsy in tube power amps -- but it definitely has the CJ midrange, so intimate and palpable. In short,this is a ravishingly beautiful power amp at a price that will put lots of people into the true high-end sound for the first time. I hope many others will give it an audition -- and a note to McIntosh fans (of which I am one also.) This is the first the CJ amp that to me sounds thoroughly Mac-like in the way the power just grips every note and sound and keeps it under its potent control -- it reminded me a lot of the gorgeous MC452 -- so give it a whirl if you are willing to forgo the blue glow of meters for the burnished gold face of CJ. You will find what you like here too.

Donizetti: L'Elisir D'Amore
Donizetti: L'Elisir D'Amore
22 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gueden and DeStefano, Wonderful, April 3, 2014
I'm a big Hilde Gueden fan, and I bought this primarily to hear her take on this ideally coquettish role for her. She does not disappoint, but the pleasant surprise was how compelling De Stafano is here, tender and moving in ways he is not always when paired with Callas, as he so often was. The sound is not up to Decca's best for the era, quite clear and open at times, but often muffled, and there is obvious wear on the tapes. Still, Decca was doing great work at the time, and this only suffers by comparison to the Decca engineers' best efforts. Well worth owning, a treat really.

Mozart:Le Nozze Di Figaro
Mozart:Le Nozze Di Figaro
12 used & new from $21.97

3.0 out of 5 stars sub-par Susanna, March 26, 2014
I love the conducting, Fricsay was a formidable Mozartian. However, Seefried was really off her game here, and a Nozze di Figaro with a sub-par Susanna simply can't succeed, no matter how good the conducting or the singing by others in the cast. A shame, because we have so little of Fricsay's best work available in good sound, due to his premature death.

Rossini: Il Turco in Italia
Rossini: Il Turco in Italia
Price: $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Callas Comic, March 15, 2014
Because La Divina was so masterful with her roles of tragic women, e.g., Norma, Lucia ,Violetta and Tosca, her versatility and genius for playing comedic roles tended to be overlooked. This recording, vividly transferred to CD by EMI, reveals just how good she was in the comedic genre, playing the role of Fiorilla with wit and charm. Strong performances are also put in by Selim, a young sounding Nicolai Gedda, and Stabile in his role as Prosdocimo. Overall this is a fine Il Turco in Italia, with Callas at her comedic best.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20