Profile for ayoba > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ayoba RSS Feed

Rokinon TSL24M-C 24mm f/3.5 Tilt Shift Lens for Canon
Rokinon TSL24M-C 24mm f/3.5 Tilt Shift Lens for Canon
Price: $746.00
15 used & new from $746.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome lens, October 13, 2013
I've come to really, really enjoy this lens. The build quality is fantastic (really not sure what the other reviewer was talking about - the knobs are super easy to use). The focus ring is an absolute pleasure, especially for video. And when you play to its strengths - tilt shift and macro - it produces some stunning pictures. The rest of my camera kit is L glass, but I like this lens so much I often use it as a walk around.

For those who don't know about tilt shift lenses, they basically allow you to change the depth of field from the standard front-to-back to a much more interesting composition. For example, I can simulate very shallow depth of field with this lens, even though it's a 24mm. That lets you get really creative and make some truly amazing images.

THINGS THIS LENS IS GOOD AT:
- Tilt shift photographs.
- Macro, due to the super low minimum focus distance.
- Very low barrel distortion.
- Color rendition.
- Bokeh.
- HD video, both tilt shift and normal.

THINGS THIS LENS IS NOT GOOD AT:
- If you like to shoot 20MP photos at f/3.5, focused at infinity and no tilt shift, then view your pictures at 100% and pixel peep, this is not the lens for you. This is not a razor sharp lens. It is, however, PLENTY sharp to get awesome results, especially for well under half the price of the Canon equivalent.
- Autofocus. It doesn't have it. But seriously, it is not difficult to manually focus a 24mm lens at f/3.5+. It's actually really easy, especially with a focus ring that's as dampened as this one. And when the lens is tilted (i.e. it's main purpose), you would never autofocus anyway, because you're playing with the depth of field to decide what parts of the image you want blurry and what parts sharp.

In other words, if you plan to use a tilt shift lens creatively for photos or videos to get that awesome blur effect, get this and save $1000. If you plan to use a tilt shift lens for pixel-perfect architecture photography, get the Canon instead.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2014 1:32 PM PST

Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Price: $1,049.00
48 used & new from $799.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing - especially for video, August 21, 2012
Well, believe the reviews. I've owned a lot of lenses. This lens blows them all away. Since everyone has covered photography, I'll review this lens from a video standpoint.

I find the focal length absolutely perfect for portrait, event, and wedding videography (I use a full frame 5Dmk2). It's long enough that you don't have to get in anyone's face, but short enough to still be manageable for all people situations. For wedding videos, this lens is on my camera 90% of the time. Having the f2 aperture is a lifesaver indoors and video looks much cleaner since you don't need to pump up the ISO.

Also, the longer focal length doesn't hurt your exposure like it does in photography. Shutter speed is constant. So you won't see a big light difference between this and the 85mm f1.8, for example. That said, handholding longer focal lengths is always shakier, but if you're going to invest this kind of money in a lens, get a video monopod (such as the Manfrotto 561).

In addition, the focus ring on this thing is buttery smooth. Just amazing. Manually focusing - while not always easy due to the shallow depth of field - was a joy. I was able to accomplish some beautiful rack focuses I could not have pulled off with any other lens.

Finally, and most importantly, this lens just LOOKS awesome. Sharpness is incredible, color and contrast are the best I've ever seen, and the bokeh rocks. Plus, at f2, there's a subtle vignette on the image (much more noticeable in photos but still there in video). In almost all cases, this is a very pleasing effect and makes people pop.

Get this lens!

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1333 MT/s (PC3-10600) CL9 SODIMM 204-Pin Notebook Memory Modules CT2KIT51264BC1339
Offered by JTC TRADING
Price: $98.99
8 used & new from $70.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant speed boost & battery life upgrade, September 28, 2011
Wow. Just installed this on my 2011 MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 i7 (takes five minutes) and the difference is incredible. The performance before and after was so drastic for me I'm surprised Apple didn't just include 8GB from the start. Applications launch almost immediately now. This is what I expected when I upgraded to the Sandy Bridge line. Before this RAM upgrade, I was considering investing in an SSD to remedy the poor performance I was experiencing. I had no idea $50 of RAM could double the speed of my computer!

Like other reviewers have mentioned, whenever I had checked Activity Monitor I was running low on RAM. In addition, because the integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics card shares memory with the RAM (384MB), I found the computer almost always had to use the AMD Radeon 6750 1GB graphics card - a true power hog that will cut your battery life from 7 to 3 hours. Now that I have the additional RAM, the Intel card has 512MB of space to work with, and the computer is able to utilize it more (confirmed using iStat menus).

Now that RAM is so inexpensive, I would recommend paying the extra $5-10 or so for the Crucial brand. It's not worth taking any chances on cheap stuff.

Anyone who enjoys multitasking and browsing the internet should want this. Anyone who creates media on their computer NEEDS this.