Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Profile for GraceDancer > Reviews

Browse

GraceDancer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

GraceDancer "GraceDancer" RSS Feed (Texas)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
On the Edge
On the Edge
by Theresa L Santy
Price: $15.83
15 used & new from $11.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, great characters, March 28, 2016
This review is from: On the Edge (Paperback)
I don't like to do "summary-style" reviews that basically re-state what the book blurb says. So I won't do that, but I will say this is a great story of one woman's search for peace from her past and herself. Ms. Santy isn't afraid to have her characters wrestle with the hard questions, and while the story provides answers, they aren't pat, Twitter-quote fluff. I fell in love with Kristen and Ethan, and I think you will, too. So I highly recommend this book -- both entertaining and ultimately uplifting!

Power Bank, JETech 10,000mAh 2-Output Portable External Power Bank Battery Charger Pack for iPhone 6/5/4, iPad, iPod, Samsung Devices, Smart Phones, Tablet PCs - Black
Offered by JEDirect
Price: $16.99
3 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, February 13, 2016
We bought our PowerBank for a vacation in New Zealand where we knew we'd be on a couple of day-long trains and weren't sure we would have access to power outlets on the trains. We did not, so the PowerBank came in handy for keeping our cell phones and the camera charged up. We had two things plugged in at once, and the PowerBank lasted throughout the train journeys, did a great job of keeping our stuff powered. It's easy to use and works well, so it gets 5 stars from us!

Forge TSA Lock Blue - Open Alert Indicator, Alloy Body with Lifetime Warranty
Forge TSA Lock Blue - Open Alert Indicator, Alloy Body with Lifetime Warranty
Offered by Forge LLC
Price: $16.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Great locks, highly recommend, February 13, 2016
Great locks! We ordered four for a trip to New Zealand, and they kept our luggage secure admirably. The button never popped up, so apparently no one on either end had to go through our bags. The lock works well, setting the combination is easy. Highly recommend!

Trtl Pillow - Scientifically Proven Super Soft Neck Support Travel Pillow - Machine Washable Grey
Offered by Trtl
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for long-haul flights, February 13, 2016
This is the best invention EVER. Went on a long-haul flight (Texas to New Zealand), 15 hours there, 12 hours back. I used the Trtl both times, and it kept my head up, but without discomfort. I was able to sleep comfortably, woke up without any cricks, twinges, headaches. And it's very easy to put on. Some reviewers have said they couldn't wear noise-canceling headphones with it, but I had no problem at all, just put the headphones on first and pulled the top bit of the cloth on the neck rest over the bottom of the headphones. With the headphones (plugged into a white-noise app on my phone), an eye mask and the Trtl, I was in a lovely little cocoon of rest despite being stuck in an economy seat for 15 and 12 hours. I highly, highly recommend this brilliant design!

Stepping Into Sunlight
Stepping Into Sunlight
Price: $4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Gave up, October 3, 2015
The premise of this book sounded interesting, but the reality was anything but. It dragged on and on and never went anywhere other than to the same places. By 1/4 of the way in I had to throw in the towel. The story should have had some forward momentum by then. The author could have done some serious tightening up and made it a better story. And I wont even go into her use of stereotypes. I would give this one a miss.

The Sea Keeper's Daughters (A Carolina Chronicles)
The Sea Keeper's Daughters (A Carolina Chronicles)
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book. Both stories (the current one and the ..., September 16, 2015
I found this book a teeny bit slow going at the beginning, while she set up the story, but then it turned a corner and I fell in headfirst. Wonderful book. Both stories (the current one and the historical one she discovers in letters) are captivating, but the historical one drew me in the most, and kept me wanting more.

I love all the bits woven in from the other novels in the series. The books are pretty much stand-alone, but at the same time there are elements within them that are bound together such that the stories are much richer when you know the references and the backstory from the other works. Everything comes together in this book, and it is breathtakingly perfect when it does.

It's been a long time since I sat there for a long time after I'd finished a book and thought, "YES. This is perfect!" with a silly grin on my face. So I highly, highly recommend this book, as well as the other books in the series. Lisa Wingate is a master storyteller -- she hasn't disappointed me yet!

Knife (Not Just Another Fairy Tale Book 1)
Knife (Not Just Another Fairy Tale Book 1)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific read, July 26, 2015
I absolutely LOVE this book! I'm not a huge SpecFic fan -- too many I have tried to read have been so cheesy or stilted or just plain bad. But when this title came to my attention a few months ago (before it was released), I thought the premise sounded intriguing enough that I decided to take a chance and pre-order it. Am I ever glad I did! The story is engaging, the characters (especially the main ones) were interesting and fully developed, there were twists and turns that I didn't see coming, and the ending was perfect. I loved the whole faery world the author created, the history and culture of the faeries, etc. Just a wonderful read. I can't WAIT until the second book comes out! (Since these are re-releases with new names, I may have to try to find the second book in its original release form ...)

Searching for Eternity
Searching for Eternity
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is absolutely one of my favorite books of all time, May 2, 2015
This is absolutely one of my favorite books of all time. I won't give a synopsis, since plenty of other reviewers have done that, but let me just urge you to read this book. Well-written, captivating, and I loved the characters so much. They became like close friends, or family, or even part of me. They were "real," they didn't have everything figured out, they didn't gloss over struggles with Pollyanna faith. They questioned. They got angry. They struggled with forgiveness and with moving forward after difficult things. And, as with "real life" people, they grew in their faith by the Two Steps Forward, One Step Back method most of us can relate to. So I highly recommend this book -- interesting plot, wonderful characters, and very "real." I can't imagine you won't fall in love with it and be as sad as I was when it was finished.

Uncle Lees Tea Imperial Organic Earl Grey Green Tea Decaf 18 Tea Bags
Uncle Lees Tea Imperial Organic Earl Grey Green Tea Decaf 18 Tea Bags

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting twist on Earl Grey, February 28, 2015
I love this tea -- an interesting take on Earl Grey, with GREEN tea rather than black, and the flavour of oil of Bergamot, without the caffeine. It's light and refreshing, great for warming up on cold days but I love drinking it year-round. Despite the negative reviews, I highly recommend this tea for something a little different.

The Lyre and the Lambs
The Lyre and the Lambs
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Glaring Anachronisms, January 2, 2015
I am really disappointed to have to leave a bad review here, but I'm halfway through this book and have had to give up on it, not because the story is all that bad (although it does drag pretty seriously, and there is WAY too much backstory-dumpage), but because I can't stand one more anachronism. The author plays fast and loose with the facts of the 1960s. The book opens in 1963. Hippies were not a thing in 1963 (didn't become a thing until the middle of the decade); microwaves weren't available for the general public until 1967; there weren't really any "small computer companies" (according to my husband, who works in the industry) at that time (although I suppose one could stretch the imagination a bit on that), and there certainly weren't jobs in artificial intelligence (nor would a layperson of the era have even heard of that term). Those are just a few examples (although the hippie concept is scattered throughout the book and forms the basis for a number of events).

I know there are readers who couldn't care less about the author keeping historical facts accurate. People will cry "poetic license!" But to me, if you're going to set a book in a historic time period, you MUST be accurate with your details. It shows a lack of artistic integrity if you aren't. If you ARE going to tweak the facts, then I think there should be a disclaimer at the beginning of the book explaining that you've done that.

Ms. Avey could have fixed a lot of these problems with a quick look at Wikipedia. Since the concept of hippies seems to be a core aspect of this book, why did she not just move her timeline up a couple of years? Or, as I mentioned, make a point of putting a disclaimer at the beginning of the book.

So -- what might have been an enjoyable story was ruined for me by the glaring anachronisms (including some modern phrases that were not in use in the 60s), and I just had to stop reading. I'm very disappointed, as I really loved the first book in this series and was looking forward to spending more time with this family.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3