Profile for K. Fontenot > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 933

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Fontenot "The Force Is Strong With This Prairie Cajun!" RSS Feed (Louisiana)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Poems Dead and Undead (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
Poems Dead and Undead (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
by Tony Barnstone
Price: $10.43
39 used & new from $9.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Haunted Words, October 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been a fan of poetry ever since I was a child reading the works of Dr. Seuss. While I'm no expert on the subject, I've done quite a bit of reading and studying of poetry (I've written a few as well) in both school and at home. While in college I grew to love the works of Alexander Pope and Robert Frost.

While Pope is not represented in this collection, Frost most certainly is, as well as a number of other poets and writers that I've grown to love over the years including the brilliant William Shakespeare, Shel Silverstein, Robert Louis Stevenson, John Donne, and Emily Dickinson.

This collection is broken into three sections: The Corporeal Undead, The Incorporeal Undead, and Devils, Gods, Angels, Death.

Basically, if zombies, vampires, ghosts, demons, or angels are your thing, you'll enjoy at least some of the works in this collection. I say that you'll enjoy some of the works because just like going to garage sales and antique shops, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I've thumbed through the entire book and read some of the most wonderful prose you could find only to be slammed to the ground by words that just bored me out of my brain. Now, I'm not saying that any of the works in this book do not belong within its haunted pages. All I'm saying is that some of these poems just aren't for me. I'm particularly turned off by some of the later works that are included in this collection because I just don't like them.

So, why four stars? Because the good far outweighs the bad in my opinion, and I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there who will enjoy what I disliked and hate what I loved.

In short, if you enjoy the work of people such as David Orr, Conrad Aiken, or T.S. Eliot, there's something in this book for you. Robert E. Howard's "Dead Man's Hate" has proven to be my favorite so far, and I've never read anything by him before. Who knows? Perhaps there's a spook-tacular new writer waiting within these pages for you to discover!!!

The Yeti Files #1: Meet the Bigfeet
The Yeti Files #1: Meet the Bigfeet
by Kevin Sherry
Price: $7.17
49 used & new from $4.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Cryptid Chaos!, October 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"The Yeti Files: Meet The Bigfeet" by Kevin Sherry is a very funny and lighthearted book that is perfect for youngsters who are reading on their own and still enjoy silly stories and illustrations. It is a chapter book that introduces children to Blizz Richards, a Yeti who is going to a family reunion and also looking for his lost cousin Brian (who happens to be a Bigfoot).

The book starts with a brief introduction of Blizz and his friends. After the introduction, Blizz defines a cryptid, talks about the reunion and then explains some trouble that Brian has gotten himself into. From there, Blizz journeys to British Columbia for the family reunion and we meet more of his familiy there including Marlon the Skunk Ape and Timmy the Sasquatch.

The family seeks out Brian while an enemy of the family, a famed cryptozooligist named George Vanquist, sets out to prove once and for all that the Yeti does exist. The result is a silly adventure that most young children will enjoy.

The book is heavily illustrated by Sherry. The illustrations will definitely get laughs from children reading the book, and a few sharp-eyed adults will snicker at a few things as well, such as the music George listens to while he's driving his rocket bus.

Overall, I believe that children under the age of eight will really enjoy this book. It's recommended for children aged seven to ten, but children on the older end of this spectrum might find the book a bit too silly for their tastes. If you're child is still a bit too young for books at this level, "The Yeti Files" is an excellent book to read to them before bed.

Calphalon Textiles 2-Piece Solid and Large Check Kitchen Towel Set, Graphite
Calphalon Textiles 2-Piece Solid and Large Check Kitchen Towel Set, Graphite
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Couple Of Big Ol' Softies!!!, October 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With Halloween knocking on the door and Thanksgiving and Christmas not too far away, the kitchen in my home will go into overdrive as myself and my family host friends and family for parties and holiday celebrations. These Calphalon kitchen towels will come in handy during this time, and I'm positive they will be around for many more holiday parties.

There are plenty of things to like about these towels. For starters, the beige and grey colors look excellent. The design on the towels is sharp as well. You can also feel the sturdiness of these towels as well as their softness. In fact, that's what I noticed right away about them. They are extremely soft and feel good to the touch.

They are also very absorbent. They survived our first Halloween party this weekend, and many of my friends complimented them while I used them during the party.

Also, these puppies are huge when compared to most other kitchen towels. They check in at 17"x30" in size. This means that they cover more surface area and have more room to wipe up spills, messes, and just about anything else.

Overall, these towels are beautiful, tough, soft, and a necessity in the kitchen.

Highly Recommended!

Kaboom Continuous Clean System
Kaboom Continuous Clean System

4.0 out of 5 stars Polish Your Pot!, October 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Kaboom Continuous Clean System is a very handy way to minimize the number of times you clean your toilet bowl. It's an excellent system that is easy to install and has kept both of the toilets in our home very clean.

This Continuous Clean system features a device that you attach inside the toilet tank (behind you when you're doing the doodie...er...duty). It slips onto the back of the tank and then you connect the refill tube in your toilet and attach it to one side of the device. On the other side, you connect another tube that goes back into the overflow pipe. Then you take one of the two included packets included with the Kaboom system and drop the two tablets from it into the device and screw the top down securely.

Once this is done, you can place the included reminder sticker on the side of your toilet. It's small but very purple, so if you're not one to appreciate this type of "decoration" on your toilet, you might want to make a note somewhere else.

Each packet is good for roughly three months, which means this set is good for a total of six months.

I suggest flushing the toilet a few times and checking for any loose connections, leaks, or odd/bad water flow. So far I haven't had any problems.

Do not let anyone scare you away from installing this device. It's very simple, and you do not need to be a plumber to do the job.

The toilet that I installed this device in looks quite nice. There has been no "residue" or build up since we've been using this device. You'll still have to clean the exterior and the seat of the toilet, but the insides should be fine.

I will say that if you install this in a small bathroom, be prepared for a rather powerful bleach smell. It's very strong in our bathroom. In fact, we've resorted to leaving the door cracked open unless someone is using the facilities to allow the room to vent a bit. This is the only major drawback that I've noticed about this cleaning system.

Overall, this is a handy device. I'm sure we'll have to scrub the pot every once in awhile, but Kaboom has made that job a little less frequent and a bit less difficult to do.

Recommended

Classic Brands U-Shape Memory Foam Travel Pillow, Neck Pillow
Classic Brands U-Shape Memory Foam Travel Pillow, Neck Pillow
Offered by Mattress Firm Inc.
Price: $9.49
3 used & new from $9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cozy Clutches Of Foam!, October 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am the primary driver on all of my family's road trips. If it's longer than an hour away, you can bet your pretty backside that I'm behind the wheel for the bulk of the drive. With that said, my wife will take the wheel whenever we are visiting her father about an hour away from us in Texas. If you've ever driven on Interstate 10 through Louisiana, you know that there is a stretch between Lake Charles, LA and Orange, TX that is pretty much dead. It's a great spot to take a quick catnap. That's where I used this travel pillow recently.

I like how the pillow is firm but not so stiff that it prevents you from finding that sleepy "sweet spot" that is essential for a good nap. It cradles my neck quite well, but it is a bit snug for me. It doesn't hold in that much heat (at least in my case), but it does get a bit warm near the end of our drive to Texas.

I can see my wife using this more than me, as her neck is quite a bit thinner than mine and she gets a lot of sleeping done while we are on the road. She hasn't used it yet, but she does like the soft feel of the velour and the fact that it is removable for washing.

Overall this is a comfortable and firm pillow. Neck sizes vary, though, so you might want to take that into consideration before purchasing this "one size fits all" pillow.

Recommended.

Dragon Masters #1: Rise of the Earth Dragon (A Branches Book)
Dragon Masters #1: Rise of the Earth Dragon (A Branches Book)
by Tracey West
Price: $3.61
56 used & new from $2.23

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Story That Triggers Reading!, October 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"Dragon Masters #1: Rise of the Earth Dragon" by Tracey West and illustrated by Graham Howells is part of Scholastic's new Branches book line for young readers that are ready for chapter books but still appreciate and need illustrations in their stories. It's an excellent book for second and third graders that may or may not need to call in an assist from a parent while reading.

As a parent of a second grader, I was excited to get this book because my child is at the stage where he loves to read on his own but some of the books that he has are a little too young for him and he loses interest quickly. I read this book before showing it to him and then allowed him to leaf through it and look at the illustrations while I gave him small hints about the story. Being a child that loves science fiction, fantasy, and comic books, he became very excited and later that night he read the book on his own with minimal help from me. He loves the story and the artwork.

The story is about a young boy named Drake who is taken away from his family to become a Dragon Master for King Roland. He meets three other children who are also Dragon Masters. These children come from diverse backgrounds that blend today's culture into their own lives. Each dragon that they are training is also attached to the culture that the child represents in the story. This culture diversity is blended into the fantasy without being deliberate, and I liked the fact that each child's dragon was directly connected to the culture of the child.

As Drake and the other children train their dragons, we are given little hints about major players in the tale, specifically the king and his wizard, Griffith. The children also run into something evil and they and their dragons end up in a tight situation. The ending leaves the story wide open for the second book in this series which is scheduled to be released next month.

My son loves this story, and if you have a child that enjoys fantasy tales, you need to pick up this book. I plan on purchasing the next book in the series whenever it is released, and hopefully these stories will encourage my son to continue reading and eventually take on the works of authors like C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and J.K. Rowling.

Get this book for your youngsters!

NEW ATTITUDES - Stylish Sunglasses - RED Lenses, GLOSS Black Frame
NEW ATTITUDES - Stylish Sunglasses - RED Lenses, GLOSS Black Frame

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Cyclops!!!, October 18, 2014
One of my favorite X-men is Cyclops. He's a great leader and doesn't take much of anything from anybody. Putting these glasses on makes me feel like Cyclops. I'm hesistant to remove them in the event that an energy blast will emit from my eyes and I'll burn a hole through a building, a bridge, or a super villain!

Children are either happy to see me or run in fear because these red lenses mean only one thing: Bid'ness!

All I'm lacking is a bald dude with powers over the mind and an adamantium-laced Canadian with an attitude problem. Get me those bad boys, and I'm the friggin' field manager for the X-men!

Valuepedic Contour Ventilated Memory Foam Pillow, Standard Size
Valuepedic Contour Ventilated Memory Foam Pillow, Standard Size
Price: $21.60
2 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Patience Pays Off With This Pillow, October 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I usually enjoy sleeping on a very soft, almost mushy pillow. I'm one of those people who will take a pillow, punch it around, twist it, and smash my face into it to get as comfortable as possible. Basically I like my pillow to have a lot of give and to be very cushy.

The Valuepedic Contour Ventilated Memory Foam Pillow is not a cushy, smushy, or even pushy pillow. It is very firm but also soft at the same time. When I first placed my head on it, I figured that I wouldn't be sleeping on it for very long. However, I was patient, and the foam slowly conformed to the shape of my noggin and became VERY comfortable. In fact, after I went to sleep, neither my head nor my body moved. I slept soundly and comfortably.

I've noticed some people saying that this pillow is too hard or firm, but I say to give it a little time. It will conform to your head and you won't regret being patient.

This pillow is vented, so it does hold in heat like standard pillows. It also features a high and low profile, so if you want your head angled a bit more than the average bear, the option is available with this pillow. This pillow is also hypo-allergenic and keeps those pesky dust mites away as well.

Overall, this is a nice and very comfortable pillow. Just be patient with it and you'll be sleeping like a baby in no time.

My Brother's Shadow
My Brother's Shadow
by Tom Avery
Price: $13.25
46 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Story Of Coping With Tragedy, October 15, 2014
This review is from: My Brother's Shadow (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to admit that I was a bit hesitant to select this book when I was offered it through the Amazon Vine Program. It deals with a topic, suicide, or more specifically, the recovery of those affected by another person's suicide, that is very dear to me. The story focuses on Kaia, who finds her dead brother in his room, as she struggles with loss, grief, alienation from friends, and her mother's own recovery from the event.

The story is written in a form that is nearly poetic in my opinion, but on a level that most middle schoolers and early high schoolers can understand.

In the story, Kaia befriends a strange boy who doesn't talk, likes to bounce around, and clings to her side like a loyal pet. He also steps in front of her when bullies attempt to pick on her. The pair become very solid friends even though the boy does little more than listen to her and, as she puts it, smiles without smiling.

Kaia's mother is fighting not only with the loss of her son, but with the loss of her job as well. The strains of being a single mother in such a situation weigh heavy on her, and Kaia suffers for it.

Kaia sets "Rules for Life" throughout the book that not only help her cope, but can also be appied to our own lives. Her view on life can be extremely basic, but complex as well.

As the story unfolds, certain things happen that give the reader a hint at what may or may not be going on with Kaia. These hints are most likely deliberate, and I figured out what was going on for the most part early on in the story. However, the story is so brilliant, tender, and heartwrenching all at the same time that catching on to certain aspects of the story early on does not detract from the reading experience.

As I've noted already, this book deals with a child coping with the suicide of a sibling. The subject matter might be a bit tough for some youngsters to tackle, but I highly, highly recommend encouraging older children to read this book. My daughter, aged thirteen, doesn't want to read the story because of the subject matter, but I will keep encouraging her to do so because this book is much too beautiful to pass over.

Highly recommended.

Vega Sport Pre-Workout Energizer, Lemon Lime, 12 Count
Vega Sport Pre-Workout Energizer, Lemon Lime, 12 Count
Price: $23.99
8 used & new from $23.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Earthy Energy, October 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Vega Sport provides your workout with a natural high with their Lemon Lime Pre-Workout Energizer. I've tried quite a few pre-workout supplements, particularly in the last year, in order to find one that gives me a decent kick without any jitters, shakes, or heart palpitations. I've come across quite a few good ones, and I'm going to be adding Vega Sport's Energizer to my list.

For starters, this stuff blends EXTREMELY well. It doesn't look very appetizing when it comes out of the packet (it has a very "earthy" quality to it) and I honestly didn't expect it to blend very well at all. However, when I filled my shaker bottle with the required 8-12 ounces of water and added the powder to it, it started to blend before the first shake. A few seconds of shaking left me with almost no residue or grime on the bottom of my bottle. If you need a number, I'd say 97% of the powder dissolved. That's a big deal to me, especially since almost all supplement powders are tough to dissolve.

Secondly, this stuff is vegan for those of you who are into that kind of thing. I'm not a vegan myself, but respect those people that choose that lifestyle. The energizer is also dairy, gluten and soy free.

The "kick" that I get from this energizer is slow, steady, and increases as I start working out. I like this steady increase, since I'm not a big fan of shaking it unless I'm "at da club."

The only real drawbacks with this product are that the taste is minimal and, for lack of a better term, earthy. You can definitely taste the lemon lime flavor, but it takes a backseat to the "earthy" tones of the powder. It's not bad, mind you, but it could be better.

Also, if you're a calorie counter, you are looking at seventy calories per serving. Most of the pre-workout supplements I've used range in the twenty to thirty calorie range. Couple this higher calorie amount with a post-workout protein bar and you could be knocking on three or four hundred calories. Granted, you're getting good calories, but they are calories all the same.

Overall, I recommend Vega Sport's Pre-Workout Energizer. I like the feeling it gives me and the sustained energy. I've had no problems with the caffeine levels and haven't experienced any sort of crash after using this product. As always, you might want to try a half-serving to see if you can handle it, but this stuff is pretty good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20