Profile for K. Fontenot > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 941

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Fontenot "Prairie Cajun Regenerated!" RSS Feed (Louisiana)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
T.S. Shure Say It with Stamps Wooden Stamp Set (63-Piece)
T.S. Shure Say It with Stamps Wooden Stamp Set (63-Piece)
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC
Price: $38.79
3 used & new from $37.97

4.0 out of 5 stars More Than An Inkling Of Fun!, September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife was a teacher for over ten years before changing career paths. Both she and I have a lot of friends who teach younger children. We also have a couple of younsters ourselves (thirteen and seven) and I decided to give the T.S. Shure Say It With Stamps Wooden Stamp Set a shot.

When the product arrived, I was pleasantly suprised with the sturdiness of the wooden box the stamps come in. It's nothing flashy, but it is very well put together. There are a total of sixty-three wooden stamps in the set, and all featured grooved sides for easy handling and excellent color images of the actual stamp on top. The stamps range from a stylized alphabet to whimsical frogs and kitties (yes, I just used the word "whimsical") and words of encouragement like "Good Job" and "Excellent." There are also heart, flower, etc. stamps that any child would enjoy and stamps suitable for either making or labeling gifts with.

Two ink pads (one that is blue/black, the other is pink/purple) are included and fit all of the stamps, but if you only want the larger stamps to be one color, you'll have to purchase other ink pads.

My family has a couple of scrapbooks floating around, and if we ever add more memories to those books, these stamps will definitely be handy. However, I believe this set as a whole is more suited for classroom use or for gift wrapping. It will probably get used in our house primarily during the holidays and for birthdays.

Recommended, but keep in mind that you'll have to store this set out of reach of youngsters, since there's no lockable lid on the box.

SmartLab Toys The Inhuman Squishy Zombie
SmartLab Toys The Inhuman Squishy Zombie
Price: $25.98
9 used & new from $20.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Take My Hand......Then Give It Back!, September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
SmartLab Toys hops on the zombie bandwagon with The Inhuman Squisy Zombie. Normally I would be a bit tougher on any product that's riding the popularity of a certain theme, genre, character, etc. as I would see it more as a cash grab instead presenting something that's different or useful.

SmartLab Toys, however, took the old fashioned plastic anatomy figures that you could break apart, explore the different organs, and then put back place, put a zombie spin on them, and actually made a very entertaining and educational toy. This "zombie" let's children explore the lungs, heart, intestines, spleen, brain, skin, and limbs with plenty of (not too) gory fun.

There's an included graphic novel (written by David Hunter) that let's young learners follow two children as they use the scientific method, study anatomy, and learn a little about viruses and bacteria and their effect on the human body while trying to find a cure or vaccine for the zombification of humanity. The science is real (even if zombies aren't) and even this nearly forty man learned a new thing about the spleen!

The graphic novel is brightly colored, not too gory or scary, and has an excellent style that reminds me a lot of the visual take on people in the Disney film "Atlantis: The Lost Empire." The story is fun and engaging and held my children's attention. I have a seven year old and a thirteen year old, and they enjoyed the story and the zombie figure. My younger child was a bit nervous at first, but he eventually warmed up to holidng a brain in his hands and yanking intestines out of the figure.

The head, arms, one leg, some skin, chest, and a hand are all removable. The brain is exposed, as are the intestines when the chest is in place. I particularly enjoyed removing the skin to show my kids the muscles underneath.

I took one star off for the fact that the neck piece that holds the head in place was broken. Also, just know that since many parts are removable, some of them are very loose, particularly the hand.

Overall, this was a very surpising toy/educational tool. Sure, SmartLab Toys is riding the zombie craze wave, but they are doing it the correct way by offering a fun and engaging toy for young zombie enthusiasts.

Recommended.

Star Trek Into Darkness Command Emblem Mens Black T-shirt XL
Star Trek Into Darkness Command Emblem Mens Black T-shirt XL
Offered by newbury-comics
Price: $14.99
5 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Set Phasers To Subtle!, September 17, 2014
Some Star Trek fans might not want to admit to this fact, but they have a lot in common with KISS fans. Both are extremely loyal to their respective franchises, have been dubbed with a specific title (Trekkies, Trekkers, KISS Army), and will jump at the chance to purchase the next product that happens to have their franchise's name on it no matter how garish it might look to those on the outside of the fanbase. I happen to be a fan of both Star Trek and KISS, so I've purchased my fair share of ugly items over the years.

T-shirts have been particularly "loud" for KISS fans. Star Trek has been a bit better with their shirts, with most of the really bad ones limited to multi-image impositions on a shirt that look a little too crowded for my tastes. The Star Trek Into Darkness Command Emblem Black shirt, however, is almost too subtle.

A passing glance of the shirt might lead one to believe that it's just another black tee shirt. In fact, the Trek insignia is so far over to the left that it can almost get lost on my chest. The insignia is a bit brighter in reality than it looks on Amazon's page, but it's still very, very subtle. Throw on a jacket, and all of a sudden you're just some random dude in a black tee who may or may not be a Trek fan. Of course, if you're wearing your Trek jacket, you'll remove any and all doubt!

The shirt is comfortable for the most part. It's a bit more snug than the average XL shirts that I've purchased over the years, especially across the shoulder blades, but it still looks nice. The fabric is nice and thick, so I expect this shirt to hold up for quite a long time.

I knocked off one star for the simple fact that the insignia is a bit too far over to the side and the shoulders are a tiny bit tight, but overall this is a good purchase. Wear it when you want to rock your Trek pride but don't want to shout it out loud!

BELL 22-1-39000-8 BellAire 9000 Tire Inflator
BELL 22-1-39000-8 BellAire 9000 Tire Inflator
Price: $20.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Road Ready, September 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sadly, I am something of an aficianodo of tire inflation tools. I have always had bad luck with my tires, from getting a slow leak here and there to meeting more nails and screw on the road than I care to admit, so I'm always in search of a decent, quick-working inflator that doesn't take up too much space and works with relative ease. I'm not looking for something to inflate the entire tire in a few seconds, just something to add a few pounds PSI to get me to the tire shop or to the store to get a plug if needed.

I've used Bell products in the past and have had relatively good success with them. I was offered the Bell 22-1-39000-8 BellAire 9000 Tire Inflator through the Amazon Vine Program and, as it happens, just busted my last inflator a few days ago, so this was perfect timing for me. I received the inflator a couple of days ago and immediately put it to use on my wife's car.

There are three attachments included with this inflator. One is handy for floatie toys and small rafts and the other is perfect for footballs, basketballs, etc. The third attachment is a four inch air hose that attaches to your tire valve so that there is less of a chance of air leakage during inflation. All of this is kept together in a nice zippered pouch.

In the case of airing a tire up, you can use the reddish connector directly applied to the valve or connect the four inch hose and use it instead. I highly recommend using the hose as it not only increases the accuracy of the air gauge, but also creates a much tighter seal (if attached to the inflator properly). Just be careful with the hose after use, because it will get hot.

The inflator looks a lot like a gun, which is visually kind of cool. The "trigger" can be held down or locked into place with a sliding lock if you've got a lot of inflating to do. There's also a small LED light that definitely comes in handy during a late night inflation.

This inflator is meant for roadside emergencies, quick air-ups whenever the temperature changes and your tires lose a bit of air, pumping up soccer balls before a game, airing up bicycle tires, and to blow up pool toys instead of using the old mouth method. If you're using it for anything more than that, you're using it improperly. Plus, always keep a tire gauge handy. That's common sense on the road.

Read the instructions, use it properly, and this little inflator will work just fine. Recommended.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier [Blu-ray]
Captain America: The Winter Soldier [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Chris Evans
Price: $19.99
12 used & new from $16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Cap Finally Gets To Shine!, September 15, 2014
There has been a ton of hype about the recently released (and very successful) "Guardians of the Galaxy" film. Needless to say, the film did manage to live up to the hype and showed that Marvel could take characters that are fairly unknown out of comic reading circles and make an excellent film with them. I saw it and I loved it, but the real shining star in Marvel's cinematic releases this year has got to be "Captain America: The Winter Soldier."

Cap's first film was very good, but I felt as if it (as well as the first Thor film) was rushed along and used more to lead up to the heavily anticipated "The Avengers" instead of giving us a decent story about the hero. In "The Avengers," Cap took a backseat to the other players, with most of the action going to heavies like Thor, Hulk, and Iron Man. This time around, Cap leads the story and never lets go of that lead.

"The Winter Soldier" is not heavily laden in CGI or even close to as humorous as "GOTG" is, but it is an excellent espionage thriller with a major whodunit plot that perfectly addresses similar actions happening in our world now, a brilliant cast, and excellent direction.

The film takes a look at Cap's world post-New York incident ("The Avengers"). S.H.I.E.L.D. is taking measures to not only protect the United States, but the world. When Cap finds out what S.H.I.E.L.D. is up to, he instantly questions the reasoning behind it. Soon enough, Captain Steve Rogers finds himself on the run with few clues, fewer friends, and a very nasty group of villains hot on his heels. I honestly cannot say too much more than this since revealing the enemy in this film would ruin it overall. Just know that if you haven't seen the film in theaters (I did, but am just now getting around to my review after buying the Blu-ray), you're in for a surprise.

Oh, and that whole Winter Soldier bit? It's pretty important as well, as the Winter Soldier is a key member of the enemy's arsenal, and he more than holds his own against Captain America, Black Widow, Falcon, and even old Nick Fury.

Watching this film reminded me of the spy flicks and political thrillers that came out during the 70's and 80's. It's fast-paced, there's a constant threat, and the resolution leaves you with more questions (that I'm sure will be resolved throughout the other Marvel films) than answers.

The cast is solid. Chris Evans nails his role as the Captain once again, and I still can't get over how brilliant he is in the role. There is no other Steve Rogers as far as I'm concerned. Evans is it! Scarlett Johansson does a fine job once again as Black Widow. We get to see a little bit more about her character (especially in the deleted scenes), and she brings a bit of humor to the film much like she did in "The Avengers." Anthony Mackie introduces us to Falcon, a soldier who counsels fellow soldiers that are trying to adapt back into their former civilian lives. Falcon gets back into uniform to help the Captain when friends are far and few between. Samuel L. Jackson reprises his role as Nick Fury, and even though he's put this character on multiple times, he gives us an even deeper look at Fury in brief sequences with Rogers and other characters in the film.

Sebastian Stan portrays the Winter Soldier. Fans of the comics know this character's real identity, but for those of you unaware, I won't reveal who he really is. Just know that his battle with Captain America becomes very personal and is intense both physically and emotionally for both of them. I hope to see more of the Winter Soldier in later films. Another brilliant castmember is the legendary Robert Redford as Alexander Pierce, head of S.H.I.E.L.D. Sadly, that's all I can really say about him without giving away too much.

There are a lot of supporting actors and actresses that did brilliant jobs as well. Most notably, Frank Grillo, Cobie Smulders, Hayley Atwell, Emily VanCamp, and Toby Jones. There are others, but the list is much too long.

Simply put, this film is brilliant. The direction was great. The production layed off of the CGI as much as possible and used real props for most of the scenes (even many parts of the bigger action scenes). The story took the front seat while the gee-whiz factor took a step back. It's literally a superhero film with a very real and grounded superhero.

Highly recommended.

OXO Good Grips 8-Inch Chef Knife
OXO Good Grips 8-Inch Chef Knife
Price: $12.99
7 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Veggies Beware!, September 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The OXO Good Grips 8 Inch Chef Knife is an excellent tool for chopping vegetables and boneless meats (boneless chicken breasts, roast beef, sausages, etc.). I have used it in the preparation of gumbo, shis kabobs, and for cubing meats for soups and salads.

The blade is very sturdy and I've had no problems cutting with it. I am also very fond of the soft handle that allows you to gave a sure grip while cutting, especially whenever you are preparing veggies that have just been washed. This can make your hands slippery, and the last thing you (or at least I) want is to use a sharp tool with wet hands.

This knife is a fine addition to any kitchen arsenal and I highly recommend it.

Haggar Men's Performance Cotton Slack Straight Fit Plain Front Pant,Ash,36x32
Haggar Men's Performance Cotton Slack Straight Fit Plain Front Pant,Ash,36x32
Price: $36.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, September 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've always been the guy who would rather wear cargo shorts or carpenter jeans instead of straight leg pants. My thighs are big, and I hate having my pants seize up on my thighs while I'm moving around in them, so I've always preferred a baggier fit in my pants. My wife, on the other hand, preferes men in nice dress pants or casual slacks, two things that make my thighs scream.

I was offered these Haggar Men's Performance Cotton Slack Straight Fit Plain Front Pants through Amazon Vine, and decided that I'd go ahead and give them a try. I was pleasantly surprised with the resulting fit and look of the pants.

For starters, the "ash" color in the photo on the Amazon site is a tad deceiving. These pants are actually a bit lighter in color. I liked that. Secondly, these pants have a comfort waist that gives a little while you're moving or sitting, and that's pretty nice for a guy like me who does have a little bit more to love around his waist! The fabric itself is very stretchy, and very comfortable.

The most important feature of these pants is the aforementioned stretchiness. This little bit of "give" while I'm sitting down is a blessing to my thighs. Instead of choking the life out of my legs, these pants actually cradle them quite comfortably.

These pants look and feel great on me, and almost make me presentable. I'd happily wear them to church, court, or just a nice outing with my lovely wife.

Highly recommended.

Doctor Who - TV Show Poster (Van Gogh's Exploding Tardis) (Size: 36 x 24) Poster Print, 36x24
Offered by Buy 4 Less UK
Price: $6.86
8 used & new from $3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars From The Episode That Made Everybody Cry, September 10, 2014
If you're a fan of "Doctor Who," particularly the revived series that started way back in 2005, you're probably familiar with the #11 episode "Vincent and the Doctor." If you haven't seen it, be sure to do so, as it is one of the best episodes in the entirety of the show's run (and I've been a fan for almost forty years, so I know what I'm talking about).

This print is based off of one of Vincent's "original works" that he comes up with in the show. It's lovely and looks great on my wall. If you're a van of Vincent Van Gogh, I highly recommend getting this print (even though he didn't really paint it.....or did he?).

CLEAR TPU Gel Soft Argyle Design Skin Cover Case for Samsung Droid Charge i510 [In Twisted Tech Retail Packaging]
Offered by FinallyWireless
Price: $2.99
3 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Case, September 10, 2014
I purchased this cover case for my daughter's phone. My wife and I recently allowed our daughter to upgrade her phone and naturally she wanted to put her own spin on the drab black design of the phone she was given. This Argyle Design Skin Cover says that it is soft, but it is very sturdy. In fact, my daughter has dropped her phone a couple of times since putting this skin on her phone and there has been no damage so far.

It should be noted that this case is clear with white design on it, so if you have a black phone, you'll have a black and white design once you put this skin on your phone. This is mentioned in the description of the product and I knew this whenever I purchased this cover, but I wanted to emphasize this fact since my daughter thought that the case was white with a grey design on it based on the photo. It's not a big deal, but I wanted to bring it up for anyone else shopping for this style of cover.

Overall, I'm pleased with this cover. More importantly, my daughter loves it.

Rudy and Claude Splash Into Art
Rudy and Claude Splash Into Art
by Adam McHeffey
Price: $10.19
25 used & new from $9.24

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brush And Imagination Are All You Need!, September 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Author and illustrator Adam McHeffey gives youngsters a colorful and silly introduction to art with "Rudy and Claude Splash Into Art." In this short tale, Rudy the mouse finds his bird friend (and artist) Claude painting a self-portrait. When Claude explains to Rudy that he is making art, Rudy asks the seemingly simple question, "What is art?" From this point, Claude explains different types of painting styles such as the self-portrait, still life, and landscapes and even tosses in a bit of multimedia art with a brief description of found art.

As Claude explains, Rudy attempts (with funny results) to create his own works in each style. My favorite is Rudy's found art creation made of things that a mouse loves to eat.

McHeffey uses bright illustrations and his silly duo of Rudy and Claude to introduce children to art. He also squeaks in nods to artists like Dali and Monet. He emphasizes the use of imagination throughout the book as well through Rudy while he attempts to create each style of art that Claude talks about.

My son is seven years old, so he is at the high end of this book's recommended age range. He is also very advanced in his reading abilities for his age, but that did not stop him from enjoying this book. His favorite character is Rudy, and he's even been inspired a bit to do some artwork of his own.

Overall, this is a very fun book that introduces children to art on a basic level. You're child might not be Picasso now, but this book might spark him or her to greatness later in life.

Recommended.