Profile for Ken Fontenot > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1547

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ken Fontenot "Darth Prairie Cajun" RSS Feed (Louisiana)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Abroad at Home: The 600 Best International Travel Experiences in North America
Abroad at Home: The 600 Best International Travel Experiences in North America
by National Geographic
Price: $18.26
57 used & new from $13.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Get Out Of The Country (Without Leaving The Country), June 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
National Geographic has collected six hundred "international" trips that you can take right at home in the United States and Canada in "Abroad At Home: The 600 Best International Travel Experiences In North America." This book breaks down North America into six distinct regions: 1) Northeast, 2) South, 3) Heartland, 4) West, 5) Northwest, and 6) Canada. Each region is then broken down into topics like what to eat, what to see, and an "Essentials" section for each highlighted town or region.

Breaking them down even more, each international destination has cultural highlights (for example, meditation in Asian regions) that are given lists, specific places to visit, and things to do. Individual stories are highlighted in sidebar stories called "My Neighborhood."

As always, National Geographic is on top when it comes to photographs of the different sights, festivals, and places that are covered in this book. The text is enjoyable to read and easy to follow. There is also a list by heritage that can be used to quickly pick out a specific culture that you would like to explore. For instance, if you want to check out Greek culture, the list gives you eleven places to venture to to experience a bit of Greece.

The only major drawback that I find with this book is a similar drawback that I find it most books like this one. While the list is excellent, it completely breezes over smaller, lesser well known events and places and goes for your standard tourist spots. For example, Lafayette and New Orleans are listed as places for a Cajun experience. While Lafayette definitely falls into that category, New Orleans doesn't. It's a much more international city. The only other city mentioned (and only in passing) is Eunice, LA, which is definitely a LOT more Cajun than New Orleans.

Another drawback of this book is that it is very general at times and too specific at others. The book struggles to find a happy balance between too much information and not enough details.

Overall, though, this is an excellent book to be used to fire off an "international" trip right at home.

Funko Kiss - Peter Criss "The Catman" Wacky Wobbler
Funko Kiss - Peter Criss "The Catman" Wacky Wobbler
Offered by OFF THE WALL TOYS
Price: $10.75
17 used & new from $7.65

4.0 out of 5 stars You Can Almost Hear "Beth" In The Background, June 18, 2015
I already have the KISS Demon and Starchild bobbleheads from this series, and both of them have been given to me by my sister for my birthday. Keeping that tradition alive, my sister got me the Catman this year and, much like the other figures in this set, he looks very good. This figure features the Cat in his 1976 Destroyer costume. Newer fans might know Eric Singer as the Catman, but it was Peter Criss, who is portrayed on the side of this figure's box in a painting taken from his KISS solo album, who was the original Catman (and to many fans he is the only Catman). In all honesty, though, I believe that the cast of the head of this figure resembles Eric Singer more than it does Peter Criss. That's a shame, because this is supposed to be the Destroyer lineup.

Now, don't get me wrong. I really appreciate Singer's work in the band. He's been in the band longer than any member (original or otherwise) excepting Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley. I just feel that this figure needs to look more like Criss and it doesn't, so I have to knock off one star for that reason. Otherwise it is a very cool figure that looks good on the shelf next to the Demon and the Starchild. I hope to acquire the Spaceman in the very near future so that my set will be complete.

For hardcore KISS fans, this is a must have (and you probably already have it if you are hardcore). Criss fans definitely need to pick this up for their collection as well. In short, follow your orders, KISS Army, and lick this up!

Too Fast for Love
Too Fast for Love
Price: $7.99
55 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Your First Taste Of The Crue, June 15, 2015
This review is from: Too Fast for Love (Audio CD)
I am currently in the process of collecting all of Motley Crue's old albums in their remastered format. I own all of the Crue's work up excluding the albums released between their self-titled, John Corabi-fronted "Motley Crue" and their latest, "SOLA." I highly recommend both of those albums, by the way. I also never owned their first album, "Too Fast For Love," until just a few weeks ago. I find that a bit ironic as "Live Wire" is quite possibly my favorite Crue track of all time.

When I decided to collect the remasters, I figured that I should start from the beginning, and picked up "Too Fast For Love." It features a young band that is raw, punchy, and definitely on the cusp of greatness. "Live Wire" is the opening track and I can't brag enough about it. It's the perfect tune to start off any career, and I love it to death. Following "Live Wire" is "Come On And Dance," which continues the punchy hard rock vibe that lasts all the way until the end of the album. Highlights include "Too Fast For Love," "Public Enemy #1," and "Take Me To The Top," but there isn't a weak track here.

As far as the remaster goes, Tommy Lee's drums and Mick Mars' excellent guitars get a bit more prominence placed on them in my opinion. The album is very raw, and it bleeds through on some of the tracks, but each and every one of them sounds excellent.

The extra tracks on this release include three unreleased tracks (I really dig "Tonight"), an alternate take on "Too Fast For Love," and a live version of "Merry-Go-Round."

The bottom line on this album is that if you're reading this review you are either 1) A fan of Crue like myself that's taking a look at the remasters or 2) A new fan interested in the band's history or 3) some kid looking for that old band called Motley Crue whose father thinks is one of the best bands ever and you want to know what they are all about. In any case, start right here with "Too Fast For Love."

Women's Maidenform Body Briefer, Black, Medium
Women's Maidenform Body Briefer, Black, Medium
Offered by C&R Clothiers
Price: $14.63
9 used & new from $14.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Tucks Things Nicely, June 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I initially picked this up from Vine for my wife to wear, but it was a tad too small for her size. In all honesty, though, I wasn't exactly sure if it was made for size, but luckily if fit my daughter just fine! She has worn it a couple of times since receiving it and her feedback follows.

She said that sits comfortably on her shoulders and doesn't dig in like similar items that she has worn before. She also likes how well it tucks everything in and gives her a nice shape without discomfort. My wife agrees with her on this point and says that it looks very nice on her.

She doesn't, however, like the feel of the straps between her legs. She said that they were itchy and a tad uncomfortable.

She said that it might just be a matter of getting used to the straps, but they are the one thing she really didn't like.

So overall this is a good product to keep things tucked in and in place. Be wary of those straps, though.

Recommended.

Hoover Commercial C1703-900 13" Windtunnel Bagged Upright Vacuum
Hoover Commercial C1703-900 13" Windtunnel Bagged Upright Vacuum
Price: $209.00
6 used & new from $209.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It Made This "Man of the House" Want To Vacuum Without Spousal Command!, June 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'll come clean and admit that my wife does most of the vacuuming in our home. When the Hoover C1703-900 arrived in our house the other day, though, I had to give this bad boy a run around the house!

First, the basics: It features a thirteen inch cleaning path, two extension wands, a crevice tool, upholstery tool, and a dusting brush, all of which conveniently connect to the body of the vacuum for storage. It comes with Hoover's Windtunnel technology, five height adjustment levels, and uses "Y" bags. It comes with additional bags and an extra band as well.

This unit is heavy (it is commercial grade, after all), but it gets the job done. It rolled across all of the surfaces in our home with ease. It did an excellent job of sucking up debris and dirt, and it also livened up our carpets a lot, and I mean A LOT! We have an older rug in our home that was delegated to a back room because it had become flat and very dull. After one pass from the C1703-900, though, the fibers in the carpet stood up more and became very similar to the way they were whenever we first bought this rug so many years ago.

Overall, I really love this vacuum cleaner. My wife loves it as well, since she says it's the first vacuum to actually make me want to vacuum in a long time. Highly recommended!

Cetaphil Men Daily Face Wash, 8 Ounce (Pack of 2)
Cetaphil Men Daily Face Wash, 8 Ounce (Pack of 2)
Price: $15.98
2 used & new from $14.81

4.0 out of 5 stars It Does The Job, June 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have sensitive skin on my face. I hate to shave as well. I've used a number of face washes over the years and while I like many of the products offered by companies like Neutrogena, Dove, and Nivea, I can say that all of them perform at about the same level (as far as name brands go).

Cetaphil Men Daily Face Wash is no different. It does exactly what it says it does. It removes dirt, oil, and sweat withouth overly drying the skin. It has a light fragrance to it that isn't too medicinal-smelling and isn't overbearing at all. It doesn't create a lot of suds, so if foamy faces are your thing, you'll be disappointed.

Ultimately it leaves my skin feeling clean and not irritated or dry in any way. I recommend Cetaphil to anybody looking for a new face wash that's not too smelly and works very well.

Ortho Fire Ant Mound Treatment - 4 lb. 0258310 (Sold in select Southern states)
Ortho Fire Ant Mound Treatment - 4 lb. 0258310 (Sold in select Southern states)
Price: $12.33
8 used & new from $3.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Get "Fired" Up!, June 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Part of my job includes working outdoors. Some of the equipment that I use in the field is often encased for months on end before ever being opened, so myself and my coworkers use industrial strength ant poison to keep ants, roaches, caterpillars, and all sorts of other creepy crawlies out of our equipment. However, said poison rarely cuts the mustard, and we often open equipment that's packed with ants and other critters. Sometimes ants will build their mounds just outside of our equipment, causing trouble when the pile is disturbed whenever we open up some of our equipment.

At home I have used a myriad of expensive, cheap, and homemade remedies to fight ants. Most of the time the ants simply move over a few feet (and usually closer to my home) much like they do with the industrial stuff I use for work. Ortho Fire Ant Killer Mound Treatment promises to kill the mound in about twelve hours, so I decided to give it a shot.

In short, it works.

I sprinkled this treatment over a few mounds in my yard (we've been receiving a ton of rain lately, so ants are on the move), following the instructions to a tee. About fifteen hours later I checked the piles. All of the ants were dead. The stuff worked just as promised.

With that said, all that is left to do is recommend that you use this stuff as well.

The Game of Life Junior Game
The Game of Life Junior Game
Price: $14.99
21 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Get A "Life", May 31, 2015
This review is from: The Game of Life Junior Game (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Stripping away careers, raising children, and many of the other things that made "The Game of Life" a big hit for adults for so many years, Hasbro presents families with a junior version of the game that focuses on daily "adventures" that allow everyone at home the chance to play.

The game is very simple. It comes with four cars, money to pay for certain "adventures," action cards, VIP cards, and star cards that allow players to collect stars on during gameplay. The first person to collect ten stars wins the game. Collecting the stars involves going around the board and, depending on where you land, performing an action from one of the cards (playing catch, sack races, etc.), losing a star due to something happening (from monkeys stealing bananas to sea gulls causing problems), or paying to complete an adventure. Some actions can net you two stars instead of one while VIP cards gain you an extra star when you land on the adventure listed on the card.

All along the way there are "pay adventures" where you have to cough up a dollar to earn a star. These adventures varied from going to the zoo to playing at the park and there's also a "fun train" where you can hop to the other side of the board for a buck.

At the end of the game, the winner reads off all of their collected cards to tell everyone how much fun they had on their adventure. My children really enjoyed performing the actions and guessing what everyone was doing. Instead of stopping with one winner, we continued the game until everybody had ten stars, letting everyone enjoy telling us about their "adventures" that that had during the day.

The game moves along very fast and we finished in about twenty minutes. It's obviously geared toward younger children, so I don't think that too many teens or older people would have a lot of fun playing this game without children around. Also, the spinner on the board is a bit flimsy, but with a little patience and guidance, my younger children had no problem using the spinner.

While I prefer the more grown up version of this game, I definitely liked "The Game of Life Junior Game." Recommended.

Marvel Avengers Age of Ultron Cycle Blast Quinjet Vehicle
Marvel Avengers Age of Ultron Cycle Blast Quinjet Vehicle
Offered by Aces General Store
Price: $21.99
37 used & new from $21.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Send The Captain Flying!, May 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My son and I love the Avengers. We've seen both Avengers films (and all of the other Marvel Cinematic Films) and we both read the comics as well (I"ve been reading a bit, okay, a lot longer than he has been reading). I must admit that I've been seeing this Age Of Ultron Cycle Blast Quinjet on the shelves at stores for some time now, and have been hesitant to purchase it for myself and/or my son. Being lucky enough to be a part of the Amazon Vine Program, I jumped at the chance to get this toy whenever it was offered to me.

On the surface, it's an excellent toy. There are quite a few stickers to attach (most of them small), but nothing too difficult for any parent to deal with that has had to add stickers to toys before. The wings must be attached to the jet, but that's the only assembly required. It took all of five seconds to attach the wings, a little bit longer for the stickers, and then this puppy was ready for play.

The cockpit opens to allow you to place four 2.5" figures inside of it. These figures have been available for awhile now, and if you're lucky enough, you can catch some of the Guardians of the Galaxy 2.5" figures hanging around as well. They fit inside the cockpit too, so you can add them to the fray if you already have some or find them in stock.

There is an included Captain America figure who is in a perpetual squat position so that he can sit on the included motorcycle. He has slots on the insides of his feet that allow you to attach him to the bike. He stays put, even when launched from the quinjet. On that note, I have to knock off a star due to the fact that the door that launches the bike is difficult to keep shut. Even when not pushing on the release, the door would open. The bike stayed put, as you have to push a second lever to launch the bike (the two fins on top of the jet are the levers). When launching the vehicle, it is good to have the jet in motion so that the bike can hit the ground at the right angle to cruise.

Also, I have to knock off another star for the price. If I had to buy this toy, I wouldn't pay the current asking price. It's a cool toy, but not cool enough for the amount they are wanting.

In summary, the toy is fun, but can be a pest when it comes to the launch door and the price is a bit much.

Marvel Avengers Age of Ultron Titan Hero Tech Captain America 12 Inch Figure
Marvel Avengers Age of Ultron Titan Hero Tech Captain America 12 Inch Figure
Price: $19.99
29 used & new from $18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cap Tells It Like It Is!, May 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My son (and me, too) own quite a few of the standard Hasbro Titan Series figures. They are enjoyable figures that are big (twelve inches tall) and usually include one accessory if any at all. Articulation is limited to five points, which means poses are limited as well, but the things are just so darn big and cool that you can't help but enjoy them.

The Titan Hero Tech versions of these figures are very similar to the traditional Titan Series figures except that they talk and (at least in the case of the Avengers Age of Ultron figure series) can interact with the Hulkbuster Titan Hero Tech figure as well. I also find that the Titan Hero Tech figures have much better paint jobs on them.

This particular figure features Captain America in his uniform from the AOU film (one of my favorite suits, by the way, second only to his suit in the first Captain America film) and he features twelve phrases and includes his shield which can be attached to either shoulder or his back and held in his right hand.

I really hope that I can get my hands on the Hulkbuster and at least one or two more of the AOU Titan Hero Tech figures to see how well they interact with the Hulkbuster.

These figures cost anywhere from a few dollars to double the price of a standard Titan Hero (depending on where you purchase it) and if you're happy paying around seven to twelve bucks for the standard figures, you probably won't have a problem shelling out a bit more for these talkers.

Recommended to fans of the Age of Ultron film, Avengers fans, and anybody that like the Titan series of figures.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20