Profile for Ken Fontenot > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1521

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ken Fontenot "The Force Is Strong With This Prairie Cajun!" RSS Feed (Louisiana)
(VINE VOICE)

Offered by kylakins
Price: $7.52
59 used & new from $2.90

4.0 out of 5 stars The Contingency Plan, March 2, 2015
This review is from: Justice League: Doom (DVD)
Culling the primary plot from "JLA: Tower of Babel," the DC animated feature "Justice League: Doom" gives us an excellent glimpse into a world where Superman, Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and the Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) face their greatest challenges individually and struggle to defeat an enemy that has put into play a contingency plan orchestrated by a member of the Justice League itself!

Without giving too much away, the primary villain puts out a call to some of the JL members' greatest foes including Mirror Master, Bane, Cheetah, Metallo, Ma'alefa'ak, and Star Sapphire. His plan is to have them individually take out members of the League and then, surprise, surprise, take over the world! Does he succeed? You'll have to watch the film to find out.

The story plays out quickly and is loaded with humor, especially a decent amount from Alfred Pennyworth early on, and as the plot thickens, we realize that the enemy has used one of the League's members' contingency plans in order to make an attempt at wiping them all out. As the individual members of the League fight for their lives, Cyborg is called in for the assist and helps them tackle their problems head on.

The animation is vibrant and clean, and all of the voice acting, especially that of Nathan Fillion (Green Lantern), Kevin Conroy (Batman), and Tim Daly (Superman) is excellent. The pacing is solid and I never grew bored with the story.

Overall this is an excellent addition to the DC Animated Universe. DC has proven once again that it has the chops to create some excellent animated films. Now only if they could telegraph that into their live action film universe!?!?!?!?

Recommended.

Grayline 40624 2-Tier Satin Nickel Mesh Organizer
Grayline 40624 2-Tier Satin Nickel Mesh Organizer
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Organized!, March 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I ordered this via Amazon Vine, I had no real idea what exactly I would with it. Would it fit best in the bathroom? Perhaps it would work well in the kitchen? Maybe I should place it in the utility room?

Ultimately I decided to place it in the bathroom and I believe that that was the best choice. I managed to place A LOT of stuff in both of the small drawers and as you can see in the photo, there's plenty of room between the bottom of the upper drawer and the top of the bottom drawer. This meant that I could place bottles in both drawers and I really liked that aspect of this organizer.

I managed to place three bars of soap, two boxed tubes of toothpaste, some feminine products, and nail polish remover in the bottom drawer and a bunch of razors, a travel tube of shaving cream, nail clippers, and a couple of bottles of lotion in the upper drawer. Even with all of these things in the drawers, though, I still had plenty of room left for more stuff.

The mesh organizer looks very nice in my bathroom and my wife really likes the looks of it as well. It is sturdy and I like that the drawers are held in place with a small lip that prevents you or anybody else from pulling them up and possibly knocking them over. You have to slide them completely out from beneath the lip to remove them from the organizer.

This is an excellent product and I believe that I'm going to get a couple more for my home. Highly recommended!

Babymetal
Babymetal
Offered by COOL JAPAN 4U
Price: $26.95
93 used & new from $19.76

4.0 out of 5 stars High-Pitched Mayhem, February 28, 2015
This review is from: Babymetal (Audio CD)
The old saying that opposites attract has plenty of detractors, but in the case of Babymetal, the old saying is true. Take one part speed metal, one part death metal, sprinkle a dash of Japanese tradition, and toss in a cup of sugary sweet J-pop and you get a wonderful blend that is pleasing to the ears.

The band is composed of three young girls, Su-Metal, Yuimetal, and Moametal and they are backed up by a Kami band that handle all of the instrument work (and do so with excellent precision). Precision, in fact, is key to this group's sound, as each note and chord plays out in perfect contrast to the sometimes squeaky, sometimes beautiful vocals of Su and repeated screams and cheers by Yui and Moa.

Don't ask me what all of the songs are about. The lyrics are in Japanese (and I can't speak Japanese) except for the English vocal intro of "Gimme Chocolate" (and, yes, that song is about chocolate). I prefer to focus my attention on the precision playing of the band and the excellent vocals of the three young ladies.

Babymetal's sound is not unlike a lot of "Beauty and the Beast" bands like Leaves' Eyes, which combine death and black metal sounds with harmonic and sometimes operatic vocals by female leads. Instead of these big vocals, though, Babymetal ties very clean and pop-heavy vocals to their music.

Is the band an oddity? Sure, but most great bands start out that way. Are they manufactured like a lot of J-Pop and standard pop bands? Absolutely, but I can see this young group breaking away from the pack.

In short, fans of death metal, black metal, speed metal, and Beauty and the Beast metal will probably enjoy this band. They might not be as "manly" or "evil" as some of the really hardcore acts, but you cannot deny that they've created something very unique. Hopefully more and more metal fans will be accepting of these young girls. I'm betting that they'll be around for a long time.

Caress Body Wash, Love Forever, 13.5 Ounce
Caress Body Wash, Love Forever, 13.5 Ounce
Price: $5.59
3 used & new from $5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Love Forever????, February 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This body wash has a very pleasant and very light floral scent. My wife has been using it for a few days now and I used it myself a couple of times as well. The primary claim of this body wash is that it holds its scent on your skin for up to twelve hours and that it also has "fragrance release" technology that releases the scent of the wash when you touch your skin.

Well, the "up to" part of the "up to twelve hours" takes precedence over the "twelve hours" portion. In fact, the scent wears off in less than two hours after every single shower that my wife takes. The "fragrance release" technology is flawed as well, because no matter how hard I press on my wife's skin, she smells no better than she did after getting out of the shower.

In short, Caress' Love Forever Body Wash would be better advertised as "Love For A Couple Of Hours." It does have a good scent and it does feel excellent on the skin, but it falls short on its primary claims.

STAINMASTER Chainlink Area Rug, 5 by 8-Feet, Navy Blue
STAINMASTER Chainlink Area Rug, 5 by 8-Feet, Navy Blue
Price: $169.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Area Rug, February 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was offered the Stainmaster Chainlink Area Rug through the Amazon Vine Program. When I ordered it, I wasn't expecting very much. I figured it would just be a standard area rug that had nothing special about it. I was wrong.

For starters, the chainlink pattern is much, much more appealing in person. The photo on the web does not do it justice. It looks very good on the living room floor. Also, the fabric used is very soft and quite warm if you lay on it for a bit.

Being a Stainmaster carpet, it's also very easy to keep clean, which is essential in a home with two kids and a cat!

My favorite aspect of this rug is the fact that it is very slip resistant. We've had plenty of area rugs over the years, but this one holds its place quite well compared to the others.

Overall this is an excellent area rug. I highly recommend it.

Nivea Coconut Body Wash, Coconut, 16.9 Ounce, (Pack of 3)
Nivea Coconut Body Wash, Coconut, 16.9 Ounce, (Pack of 3)
Price: $11.97

5.0 out of 5 stars All I Need Are Palm Trees And A Lovely Tanned Lady!, February 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Nivea makes me think of the the summer time with this product. I want palm trees and lovely tanned ladies surrounding me! I've always been impressed by Nivea products. They almost always deliver on any claims that they make, and they come through again with their Coconut Body Wash.

The claim is that this body wash refreshes and moisturizes the skin. My skin is notoriously dry, especially during the winter, so I always have lotions and moisturizing body washes handy this time of year. Does Nivea's body wash keep my skin moisturized? Absolutely. I've noticed a marked improvement in my skin, especially in my face and hands, which seem to suffer the most this time of year.

As far as the refreshing bit is concerned, I do feel clean and a tad bit more alive after using this body wash, but I believe that that is primarily due to the fact that the coconut scent is so wonderful. Smelling coconut while I'm in the shower quickly brings me to the much warmer (okay, really hot) summers of Louisiana. The scent is clean and, yes, refreshing.

The scent isn't too powerful after you get out of the shower and get on with your day, but I still smell clean.

Basically this is another great product from Nivea. I'm sure they've got more wonderful products waiting in the wings.

Recommended.

Laura Biagiotti Roma Eau de Toilette for Women, 0.84 fl. oz.
Laura Biagiotti Roma Eau de Toilette for Women, 0.84 fl. oz.
Price: $39.00

3.0 out of 5 stars That Old Lady Smell, February 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Perfumes, eau de toilettes, powders, etc. are essentially a matter of opinion when it comes to their scent. For that reason, I feel like the Laura Biagiotti Roma Eau de Toilette is a bit of a downer as far as I'm concerned. Why? For lack of a better description, I'd say that it has an "old lady smell" to it. To bring a bit of clarity to this description, I suggest trying to remember back to the old lady or grandmother that smelled nice, but wore a perfume that smelled like an old lady would wear it.

This eau de toilette does not stink at all. It has a pleasant vanilla and musk scent to it, it just doesn't smell like something anybody under the age of sixty might want to wear on their body. It's a nice fragrance and it lasts a long time, it just smells a bit....dated.

So, if you enjoy dated or "old lady" fragrances, this eau de toilette gets five stars for you. If you are under the age of sixty, though, you might want to skip this fragrance.

Foster Grant James Multifocus Glasses, Black, 1
Foster Grant James Multifocus Glasses, Black, 1
Price: $34.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Construction But Can Be Dizzying, February 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My eyes are a bit odd. I wear presciptions glasses due to the fact that one eye is near-sighted and the other is far-sighted, but I primarily wear them at night (when glare also affects me) and whenever I'm doing very intensive work at a very close proximity to my face (I work with punchdown blocks, ethernet crimpers, small boards, etc.). Doing this type of work can wreak havoc on my eyes, but my glasses help me a lot.

When reading, I can usually make do without wearing glasses, but every once in awhile I have to break out my "cheaters" to assist me. It was with this in mind that I decided to give Foster Grant's James Multifocus Glasses a whirl.

For starters, I had an immediate headache when I put these on my noggin. It took me quite a long time to adjust to these babies. The three different levels are nice to have, but caused dizziness until I finally adjusted to them. The lower level is for reading. The middle level is for seeing things at a range a bit farther from your face (laptops, computer monitors, etc.). The top level is for viewing things at a distance (across the room or just a bit closer).

Of the three levels, I use the lower one the most. I rarely use the other ones, but they are there if needed.

I will say that these glasses are very well made. They look pretty sharp and are very sturdy.

So why three stars? They aren't for everybody. I would definitely try a pair on before purchasing them. The three levels can take some getting used to (or not getting used to at all), so take that into consideration as well.

Overall, these are decent glasses, but I really don't need all three levels.

Chef-mate Que Bueno White Queso Sauce, 106 Ounce
Chef-mate Que Bueno White Queso Sauce, 106 Ounce
Price: $20.06
2 used & new from $19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Cheesy Heat!, February 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Chef-mate's Que Bueno White Queso sauce is an excellent choice as a stand-alone cheese dip, as a topping for spicy Mexican dishes, or as an added component to any beef or chicken based dish.

The chiles and jalepeno add just enough heat to tell you that they mean business but without burning your tongue. The texture of the sauce is thick and creamy but not so thick that you have to cut a chunk out of the dip with your chip.

The container is big, so be sure to invite a lot of friends over or separate it into smaller containers for later use. My family and I had a "cheese" party to help knock a considerable hole in the can, but we still have a good amount of sauce left over.

Overall, this is a very good sauce that works well on its own and as part of a sauce featuring beef or chicken. Recommended.

National Geographic Traveler: Ireland, 4th Edition
National Geographic Traveler: Ireland, 4th Edition
by Christopher Somerville
Price: $19.60
71 used & new from $14.53

5.0 out of 5 stars A Traveler's Travel Guide, January 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are tons of travel guides on the market these days. Setting one apart from another can be quite difficult, but National Geographic manages to set itself apart with its Traveler series. This particular volume, Ireland, gives us an in depth look at the Emerald Isle and prepares just about anyone for their journey to this wonderful country.

The volume starts off with "Charting Your Trip." It's a brief informational section that lightly covers essentials like what to pack, when and where to go (depending on time of year and length of stay), and other useful topics. Again, this is basically a "gloss over" for the rest of the book. Once you've read this section, you get to move on to a quick overview of Ireland's history and a glimpse at the country's current vibe. From there you get a deeper breakdown of the country as broken into seven different regions.

Each region features an introduction, a map (with area maps that break down the region even more throughout each section), highlighted walks or drives from the viewpoint of the author, Christopher Somerville, featured locations, and an excellent description of each region's highlight and "must see" locales and events.

The final section, "Travelwise" gives the reader a nice breakdown of hotels, restaurants, entertainment, etc.

As always, National Geographic has loaded this volume with plenty of wonderful pictures, in depth articles, and historical diagrams. It is essentially a large edition of the wonderful magazine that focuses entirely on Ireland. If you read the magazine and enjoy all of the maps, articles, and pictures, you'll definitely love this book. If you're just a curious traveler, this book will give you a wonderful look into the world of Ireland.

Highly recommended.