Profile for Eric Mclaughlin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eric Mclaughlin RSS Feed (Mundelein, IL USA)

Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit
Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit
Offered by ASPDOORS & A WHOLE LOT MORE
Price: $27.95
8 used & new from $20.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, but Should Not Be Necessary, April 12, 2014
I recently had to install a replacement LiftMaster 8355 garage door opener, and later discovered that the latest HomeLink standard it used was not backwardly compatible with older built-in auto HomeLink car openers, as in my 2007 vehicle. As such, I was forced to buy this LiftMaster 855LM repeater kit to continue using the HomeLink buttons on my rear-view mirror.

In any case, the Repeater Kit does the job as advertised, though the range is less than with the actual 'clickers' that came with the replacement garage door opener, and it now permanently uses up an AC outlet in my garage.

Very disappointed with both HomeLink and LiftMaster for being too cheap to build in backward compatibility.

2.5" USB 2.0/eSATA Aluminum External SATA Hard Drive Enclosure (Black) - Supports up to 500GB!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Wanted!, May 14, 2011
My goal was to get an enclosure which had a 'power over eSATA' (or eSATAp) connection, so I could use a single eSATAp cable to connect the enclosure/drive to my work laptop (which does have the required combo eSATA/USB port that allows this). This enclosure does exactly what I want! I put my old 250GB 7200 RPM 2.5" drive in, connected the enclosure to my laptop using the included eSATAp cable, and all works perfectly!

Note that the product photos only show the silver-colored USB cable, but my package also included a fairly sturdy 30" black eSATAp cable.

PROS:
- Works flawlessly!
- Small and compact.
- Good price - I paid just over 20 dollars including shipping.
- Decent quality/fit and finish - shell is aluminum but ends are plastic.
- Includes USB port and cable for compatibility with other computers without eSATAp or eSATA.
- Kit includes everything you need -- including a vinyl cover an eSATAp cable!

CONS:
- Not quite as fast as I hoped. My internal to external drive copying averages only around 40 MB/sec (both are 7200 rpm drives). Still, overall it performs about three times faster than my similar USB 2.0 enclosure.
- Hot to the touch when drive is active! Maybe shell or rear end should have been vented?
- Fits smaller 9.5mm 2.5" drives, but is not an option for thicker 12.5mm drives.
- Other than the label, case top and bottom are identical. With no rubber legs, the metal shell slides around easily on my desk. To avoid this, I place the drive on top of the included vinyl cover.
- Case is somewhat plain -- certainly won't wow your friends/colleagues.

Overall, a great value. I am very satisfied so far.

NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion (Black)
NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion (Black)
Price: $16.99
15 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved My Under-powered USB Port Issues!, January 15, 2011
A great add-on for my computer build!

My existing mother board's USB headers (used for connecting my computer case's USB ports) apparently did not supply sufficient power for my portable-size external hard drives, which had no external a/c adapter. These unpowered drives would make clicking noises, but never connect -- though my desktop-size, self-powered hard drives had no issues. As such, I previously had to use the motherboard's built-in USB ports, way at the back of my desktop, to connect the portable drives -- a real pain.

Installation was simple, provided you are familiar with working inside your computer. The case's USB cables are re-routed from directly connecting to the motherboard to this NZXT board, with the NZXT then connected to one of the motherboard's USB headers and a 4-pin molex power cable. A stick-on velcro strip is included to securely mount the board to your case. The included instruction sheet was helpful, though the print is tiny, since numerous language variants are all on the same sheet.

After installing the NZXT IU01, all my unpowered portable drives now work flawlessly. All my other USB devices continue to operate without any issues. Wish I had added this board a year ago!

Toshiba Canvio Plus 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive E05A100PBU3XS (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great So Far, October 22, 2010
I needed a large portable drive and this Toshiba Canvio 1 TB 3.0 Plus has been great so far. I am using it primarily with an older Dell laptop which has only USB 2.0 ports, but wanted a drive that hopefully will be somewhat future-proof. As such I cannot comment as to USB 3.0 speeds. So far USB 2.0 speeds are no slower than other external drives I own.

I also did not need the preloaded backup software, which I burned to CD (in case I change my mind) then deleted. Again I cannot comment on the software's usefulness.

PROS:
- Lots of disk space (at least for now).
- Works perfectly with all USB 2.0 ports I have tried so far (two different laptops, one desktop - all 2.0).
- Small, compact and light.
- Quiet.
- Backup software easily removable.

CONS:
- A bit pricey (though not excessively so versus the similar 1 TB Toshiba USB 2.0 model).
- The 18 inch cable is thicker (0.25 inch) and stiffer than those on other drives I own.
- Not a big fan of the glossy, fingerprint-magnet finish on the case top and bottom.

Overall, I am very satisfied and would buy it again.

Luxury Comfort LARGE white vinyl & FOAM relaxing NECK spa BATH Pillow hot TUB New
Offered by ToysNGamesEtc
Price: $13.95
13 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, but tough to keep in place, January 31, 2010
Overall, wife is very satisfied. Only complaint is that due to curved the shape of our tub, the suction cups on the back fail to prevent the bath pillow from shifting around. Probably would work better on a more square/flat surface. Still, pillow is very comfortable, and she would buy again.

104KEY PS2 Keyboard Black Wmembrane
104KEY PS2 Keyboard Black Wmembrane
Offered by TEKENVY
Price: $41.09
41 used & new from $33.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not Exceptional, Basic Keyboard, December 23, 2009
Great legacy-IBM styled keyboard. Comfortable to type on. Includes two basic Windows keys for Start and context menus. Keys have a slightly muted 'clicky' sound, so if you want a quiet keyboard, look elsewhere.

Overall quality seems pretty good, but, of course, only time will tell. With many very good $10-$20 keyboard alternatives available, I was expecting a bit more from this one in terms of construction quality and features for the price -- hence 4 vs. 5 stars. For example, the keyboard shell is flexible rather than hard plastic, so holding both ends you can twist the keyboard (though obviously you would not normally be doing this). Also, the keyboard has only a PS2 connector, with no USB option and no backlight illumination.

eForCity Li-Ion Battery Compatible With iPhone® 1st Generation
eForCity Li-Ion Battery Compatible With iPhone® 1st Generation
Offered by Eforcity
Price: $4.38
2 used & new from $4.38

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good (but not a simple process) ..., December 23, 2009
Product arrived quickly via USPS from eForCity. Battery fit perfectly in my 1st generation iPhone and all is working so far.

Be warned though -- installation of a replacement battery in the original iPhone is not a simple process. It will require soldering three tiny little wires, in addition to all of Apple's usual hair-pulling, 'Chinese puzzle box' steps to open the iPhone. Tools provided in kit worked well, though I supplemented these with a tiny flat-head screw driver I already owned to help open the case.

No instructions came with package, but I found a great Bleeding Edge TV 190 video which walked through the process in step-by-step detail. Overall, I found the two-hour replacement process - even with the soldering - a bit easier than a similar battery replacement I did a few years back on a 3rd Generation iPod. If done with care, your iPhone will show no scratches or other evidence of the replacement effort.

If you are handy, very patient, and have great eyesight, this replacement battery should be what you are looking for.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Comfortable!, June 9, 2007
I was searching for simply-styled and comfortable casual walking shoes with low soles. This pair of adidas Samba Millenium met my needs perfectly. After a two or three wear break-in, I now find these extremely comfortable! I wear them all the time. If these shoes were available with a few more color choices I would probably get another pair. The shoes ran maybe a half size or so larger than the actual size indicated.

Sudoku Gridmaster - Nintendo DS
Sudoku Gridmaster - Nintendo DS
Offered by Vertaghost
Price: $21.49
50 used & new from $0.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Great puzzles, poor UI, July 5, 2006
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I agree fully with review by "Lego Kid-within" on the User Interface. Having to erase prior guesses is annoying. Even more frustrating is that the game does not allow more than one user to save their game at a time (even Brain Age allows four different user names). As such, if someone else wants to try it, they must either play my currently saved game or delete it to start a new game. It does have tons of puzzles though.

Panasonic DMW-CZS7 Soft Camera Case for Panasonic FZ7, FZ18 & FZ28 Digital Cameras

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, but a small and strapless., June 30, 2006
Case is of good quality materials and construction, but is smaller than I expected from the photo. It does fit the FZ7 camera easily, but if you need a single case for your camera, lens hood, battery charger, manual and cables, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Case also does not include its own strap. I was able to place the camera in the case such that the camera's own strap could be used for toting the combined camera and case. However, when it is time to take photos, you have to have to keep track of where you placed the case. The case does have a belt hoop as an alternative, though I will not likely use it.

Overall, for the price I expected a bit more.