Profile for Harry > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Harry RSS Feed

Microsoft Office Professional 2010 Key Card 1PC/1User [Old Version]
Microsoft Office Professional 2010 Key Card 1PC/1User [Old Version]
2 used & new from $549.95

3.0 out of 5 stars MS Office Pro, 2010, August 24, 2011
I've used this product (MS OP 2010) for over 30 days, on the heels of close to a year using IBM Lotus Symphony, (which has only 3 parts- word, spreadsheet, presentations) a totally free version of office suites, (based on Open Office, but vastly improved over OO), thus lacking in some utility, with only three of the segments of suites. For me, it is fascinating to compare the two. Both are sophisticated in presentation and function, generally. No comparison to Open Office, in sophistication and ease and especially speed of use. However, while I needed the multiple suites, Publisher, Power Point, Access, I am surprised at the lack of any superior speed (over Lotus Symphony) in the basic suites, the bulkiness, of Word, and while the IBM version lacked some robustness, and stability, which MS has more of, for all the high cost of the MS 2010, I felt it overpriced, in value, by at least double. Not an Amazon issue on price, but an MS issue. It is worth something over the Lotus Symphony, but not the premium prices MS currently charges, even the price for just one computer. Reality says, pay the piper. I did, and I'm only just mildly satisfied (and not impressed, at all) at improvements over Office Pro 2003, or so. Amazon is great, but I consider MS overpriced, by MS.

I believe more competition is needed in this market, perhaps IBM can show the way with further improvements. I am not a fan of Google office suite entries (although I love some of their products, especially Earth and sky, and Picasa, which are superb, and Google Talk, which is ok, (Skype superb)), nor cloud based systems of suites, since they are dependent on connections, for speeds, which will be highly and unacceptably variable for at least 5 years, throughout America and the world, can't work offline as well, and tend to a somewhat different look and feel, than Lotus and MS. And security, well, there is no security that is perfect and absolute, and cloud security has a ways to go.

Overall, there is tremendous room for growth, in most areas of IT, including office suites applications, and one product I'd like to see, is a way to have quick, accurate, and versatile speech translations that work, between two different language speaking nationalities, so one can carry on a two way speaking connection by computer based VOIP. I'd like to see accurate, dependable and versatile speech recognition to text applications, many do not even work well on quality telephone connections, let alone on speech to word computer applications. And my own speech is metered and un-accented, pure Midwest style, spoken with clear annunciation, as some people have exclaimed, like sounding like a TV news anchor, and saw major failure years ago of the over hyped speech recognition apps.