Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Ellen Ripley > Reviews

Browse

Ellen Ripley's Profile

Customer Reviews: 97

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ellen Ripley RSS Feed (Midwest USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Staedtler Color Pen Set, Set of 36 Assorted Colors (Triplus Fineliner Pens)
Staedtler Color Pen Set, Set of 36 Assorted Colors (Triplus Fineliner Pens)
Offered by All-kill Store
Price: $27.49
162 used & new from $23.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Refurbished Box With New Pens Was As Good As Brand New, March 13, 2016
I bought these when they had this 36 set in the cardboard box for $19.99 refurbished. For anyone interested, it was a good deal as this is even cheaper than the 20 pen set (Of course you don't get the nice plastic case). The description said the box might be damaged by mine looked brand new and the pens were all they should be. I would get the refurbished set again if I needed them and they ever sold them that way again. They were from a seller other other than Amazon but were "Fulfilled by Amazon" so I knew if I had a problem (which I didn't) that Amazon would make it right.

I like the pens but took one star off because there were a couple light blues and browns that looked identical to me, however after reading other reviews from people who got them, apparently there are some that are very close in colors but not considered duplicated. Still, I felt a bit cheated that they couldn't make 36 distinguishable colors that I didn't need to hold up to a sunny window to see that they were oh, so very very slightly different. Also, they are ideal for filling in very small areas but not so good for large areas.

Premium Sunflower Blend
Premium Sunflower Blend
6 used & new from $34.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Mix of Sunflower Hearts, Chips and a Very Small Amount of Black Oil, The Birds Love It, February 11, 2016
This review is from: Premium Sunflower Blend (Misc.)
I decided to take a chance and try this new 25 pound offering of a sunflower "premium blend" to find out exactly what that meant and because high prices ($110-$112 for 50 pounds) this year on sunflower hearts and chips here on Amazon are getting way beyond my budget. At the time of my review this is priced rather reasonable by some sellers, so I am evaluating it as an alternate to what I was previously using.

So this "blend" is a mix of about 80% sunflower hearts(some larger, some smaller, some slightly broken), a lesser amount of sunflower chips, and a smattering of black oil sunflower seeds in shell. There are no worms or bugs and it looks fresh. There is a very small amount of tiny stems and black pieces that look mostly like broken black oil shells and a bit of dust from the sloughed off inner seed coats.

The seeds came in a durable double paper bag with an inner plastic liner and were packed for added protection in a cardboard box. The seed bag was labeled as follows:
“Sunflower Premium Blend, Distributed by SunOpta, Crookston, MN,
Sustainable Forestry Initiative, Certified Fiber Sourcing, (sfiprogram.org)
Lot # 2J5N09 Shafer 25 lbs “

I am using platform feeders this year in a semi-enclosed area (due to an abundance of hawks hunting my well fed birds) so I think this will be a good sunflower mix for me for the winter. I especially wanted some chips for the smaller birds and this fits the bill.

Are the birds happy with these? Absolutely, and I saw that the purple finches, house finches, chickadees, juncos and of course the sparrows were having a lot easier time with the smaller chips in these than the whole heart sunflower bag I just used up.

Will the black oil seeds make a big mess in your yard, patio? There’s very few, percentage-wise and it would be a small task to sweep a few off your patio occasionally if they bother you. Last year I used only black oilers in half of my feeders and I was shoveling them off my lawn/patio by the garbage bag full every few weeks—no way I will go back to that again.

I purchased this from the seller HorseLoverZ / EasyPetStore, and it arrived faster than expected. While a blend like this is not the dinner party quality whole hearts that I am used, the birds are gobbling it up fast. I know sunflower seeds are very nutritious for my feathered friends so I will purchase this as needed as long as the price stays reasonable ($ in the mid to upper 30's from some sellers) for 25 pounds.

Bee Happy Dancing Solar Flower, Set of 2 by efuture
Bee Happy Dancing Solar Flower, Set of 2 by efuture
Offered by digital art
Price: $3.83
30 used & new from $0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Shaped Pots But I Would Rather Pay A Dollar, September 29, 2015
I received the set of 2 Dancing Solar Flowers, two years ago as a gift. They are pretty & worked well and the round shape of the pot is attractive. When they fell off the window sil(and they did many times)l they were fixeable because the stem and flower(one piece) slides into a little slot just above the petals and it usually just falls out and doesn't break. But I know my daughter paid about $12 for this set and that always left me with a sick feeling in my stomach as I know these cost very little to manufacture. Since then I have purchased many different solar dancing single flowers, triple flowers, bees, butterflies, flowerhead girl, bunnies, cupids, hula girls and more for just $1 at the dollar store. These stores usually get a new type in every month. You can change them on a whim. However, when these fall and break the flower usually cracks off and you have to toss them out. No matter, my money is now on the the dollar ones and I eagerly await the October batch--hoping for ghosts or pumpkin heads.

AvoDerm Natural Entree Chicken and Duck in Gravy for Cats, 3-Ounce Cans, Case of 24
Offered by Eternity Essentials
Price: $34.28

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Price When on Sale, And While Your Cat(s) Might Like It, Mine Did Not, April 27, 2015
I had never tried this brand of cat food before but I bought it because it was very cheap and because grain free is supposed to be a healthier choice. My girl cat would not even sample this stuff which surprised me as she will usually at least give new foods a lick before deciding for or against them. My boy cat Nemo ran away from the food, but he pretty much thinks I am always trying to poison him so you can't really trust his opinion.

So I gave this 1 star because the price was really cheap and a 2nd star because I'm sure there are many cats out there that like this food, just not mine. However, I must say that when I smelled the cat food it really didn't smell like something tasty; it didn't even smell like food. Cats are pretty heavily influenced by how everything in their world smells, so I'm kind of surprised at the lack of smell of this food. I can't really give this more than 2 stars though because my cats refused to eat it and I will have to donate it to a shelter, but at least those cats/kittens will be getting something that is probably better for them than what my 2 furballs like.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2015 2:35 PM PDT

Tree of Life Wall Art Decoration Branch Shells Home
Tree of Life Wall Art Decoration Branch Shells Home
Price: $45.48
21 used & new from $44.24

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Quality Control and Equally Bad Packaging--A Branch was Missing!, April 26, 2015
It took me a week of looking at wall art to decide that this tree would fit perfectly and show up well on the wall I was looking to hang it on. When I received it, it just didn't look right and it took me a few minutes to realize why that was. A small lower branch on the 2nd main stem from the right which should have contained 3 leaves was completely missing leaving an unappealing gap. I was so disappointed. And to make things even worse one leaf had broken off the tree in the same area and was in pieces in the box.

I purchased this tree from eHomeProducts and fulfilled by Amazon. It was rattling around in the box when delivered as there was no styrofoam or even paper used in packing to keep it from falling from side to side in the box. I returned it. I'm ordering another one, as it was a perfect size for me and very pretty--but certainly not from eHomeProducts. Hopefully I will at least get all the branches on the next one.

DAWGS Ladies Z Sandal
DAWGS Ladies Z Sandal
Price: $13.24 - $59.80

2.0 out of 5 stars Identical Drug Store Z Sandals Have Softer Cushioning and are Less Expensive Too, April 7, 2015
This review is from: DAWGS Ladies Z Sandal (Apparel)
I bought a pair of Dawgs in January in the olive color (from Target because of the mixed reviews here on Amazon so I could more easily return them if needed). They felt stiff and without much give in the sole when walking--OK but not especially comfortable, at least to my feet.

I had bought a pair of pink Hounds last spring. What are Hounds? Hounds are Z sandals that look absolutely identical to the Dawgs Z's except that they are sold only by Walgreens for $10 in white, black, hot pink and beige with a Hounds logo instead of the Dawgs. I just loved how soft and comfy the Hounds were compared to the Dawgs and have wore them all winter in the house with socks on because they feel so good.

Although another reviewer here on Amazon said the Hounds were better than the Dawgs, I prayed she was wrong because I wanted more colors. Unfortunately she was right. I compared the sandals by putting a Hound on one foot and a Dawg on the other and walking around and only the Dawg barked. It is amazing to me how two identical looking shoes seemingly made from the exact same rubber/plastic can feel so different. The Dawgs seemed slightly narrower, the sole stiffer and harder with less give when you walk and your foot pushes down on it. The Hounds felt slightly wider, sturdy but not stiff at all when walking and the sole is much cushier--the sole material pushes down more and springs back up in a softer way.

I have cleaned out the Walgreen stores in my area which just put the Hounds out in the last week or so--late March to early April. These are only stocked in spring in my area in the 4 colors I mentioned and it appears that each store gets just 3 pairs of each color (one size 5-6, one size 7-8, and one size 9-10) and they do not restock. (Yeah, I've done my homework about these Hounds because I friggin want to be buried in these sandals I like them so much) So now would be the time to look there if you want to try them on or see if I'm right that they are more comfortable.

Dawgs get good reviews generally, so they must be OK for most people. But if you are like me and have feet that like to sprawl out in the summer and need to be cradled in the cushiest material you can find for them, I think you should at least check out the Hounds. I want people to know that a cheaper and possibly better alternative for identical Z sandals may be available locally in your area, although they are unfortunately seasonal .
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2015 12:10 PM PDT

East of the Full Moon
East of the Full Moon
Price: $8.91

5.0 out of 5 stars It Hurts To Listen To This Music, But In A Good Way!, February 19, 2015
This review is from: East of the Full Moon (MP3 Music)
I'd never heard of Deuter until about 2 or 3 years ago when I was looking to use some free MP3 credits on something interesting. I'd read a review somewhere recommending the 1st two songs of the "East of the Full Moon" album. I played the samples and they all sounded really good (from what little you get to hear) but when I got to #9 - Dawn Shimmer - it really grabbed me.

Dawn Shimmer is a combination of piano and a flute melody(not Indian flute). I had thought I was looking for some background music to listen to when I read or worked on the computer and I did in fact listen to it on my computer after I purchased it. But while listening to it I found myself unable to type, I was so drawn into the rich and wondrous sounds and melody. I had to sit back and turn up the volume. It made my heart ache somehow to listen to it. There are some birds quietly chirping in the background now and then and while I do not normally like nature sounds mixed with music, it seemed somehow perfect. A singular melody starts, transposes and repeats throughout the piece blending in a synchronous uplifting way. I can see a piece like this, named Dawn Shimmer, being somehow a rejoicing at the rise of the sun and the start of a new day.

If you prefer to buy singles, the title track, East on the Full Moon is also one that is always on my top relaxation playlist. Dammerschein and Earth Shadow are other favorites of mine. No bad tracks here.

I do not claim to be a music expert, but what I do know is that the music is just amazingly beautiful. I have since become a collector of Deuter's music and it all started for me with this album.

SOS Italian Cooking
SOS Italian Cooking
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound tasty but measurements complicate the cooking, February 14, 2015
A well rounded group of tasty sounding Italian pasta & risotto, fish & meat, vegetable and dessert recipes.

There are unfortunately no pictures, but recipes from the table of contents do link directly to the recipes. Ingredients are generally things you have on hand or are easy to find. Instructions are clear, organized and detailed down to the size of the pot or pan to use.

Some recipe choices are risotto with sausage, spinach gnocchi, pizzaiola style steak, chicken cacciatore, trout with butter and sage, fried mashed potato balls, griddled zucchini and eggplant, lemon cream cake, apple pie, and of course lasagna.

The only problem I have is with the measurements. They are in both metric and American standard. In order to use the American standard measurements you will need a scale, conversion chart and also to do a bit of guesstimating unless you have metric measures because the amounts are not typical. For examples, 5.29 oz of butter, 0.63 cup milk, cut into 2 cm pieces, preheat oven to 356 F.

Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming
Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming
Price: $1.29

2.0 out of 5 stars This Isn't The Traditional Carole King, It Won't Be For Everyone, December 17, 2013
This song is a very simple combo of vocals and piano and yet I couldn't help feel like I was listening to my niece practice for her school Christmas play. It was very piercing to my ears. I love Carole King when she sings the songs that showcase her unique voice filled with feeling that touch your soul. I sort of hate it when popular singers put out these Christmas albums as they often fall short of what the singer is capable of. This is not Carole King at her best in my opinion or maybe I just don't like this song. You will either love her rendition of this song or hate it. As for me, I had to listen to Tapestry, It's All Right, and Jazzman to get my head straight after listening to this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2013 7:34 PM PST

FRiEQ® Hi-Speed Extra Long (6 Ft/1.8m) Nylon Braided Tangle-Free USB 2.0 Micro USB Charging/Sync Cable For Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note 2, HTC, Motorola, LG, PS4, Xbox one (Light Blue/Yellow)
Offered by LowerPriceUSA
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough Colorful Bungee Style USB Cord Stands Apart From Others, It's More Fun, December 3, 2013
This is a durable, attractive, and reasonably priced USB cable that comes with a 2 year warranty that works well. I'm very happy with it and it is now my go-to USB cable mainly due to it's fun blue and yellow color and bungee look. These will make great gifts.

It's longer at 6 feet than many of my other USB cables which are 3 feet or less. Long enough so that my grandson was able to plug in his PS4 controller and play games until the remote charged up. My cats love to chew through the nice soft cords of many of my other cables but showed no interest in this one. That's a big plus. It is a rougher material and slightly stiffer so I think it's going to last a long time and the connectors are molded well against the cable where they meet.

The USB end seemed easier to grip than some of my other cables which when I attach to the ports on my computer are hard to pull out. The ends on this one felt more grippy to me and are easy to get a good hold on.

These come in great colors which also serve a function. If you're like me you have a drawer full of black or white cables: USB(micro, mini, male/female male/male), optical, HDMI and others all in a heap. So I like that the 2 color braided cable stands out. It's easy to know which one to grab for or tell someone to get.

In a world of bland and boring black and white cables these are just more fun.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10