Profile for Ellen Ripley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 94

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ellen Ripley RSS Feed (Midwest USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
AvoDerm Natural Entree Chicken and Duck in Gravy for Cats, 3-Ounce Cans, Case of 24
Price: $31.09
2 used & new from $31.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Price When on Sale, And While Your Cat(s) Might Like It, Mine Did Not, April 27, 2015
I had never tried this brand of cat food before but I bought it because it was very cheap and because grain free is supposed to be a healthier choice. My girl cat would not even sample this stuff which surprised me as she will usually at least give new foods a lick before deciding for or against them. My boy cat Nemo ran away from the food, but he pretty much thinks I am always trying to poison him so I can't really trust his opinion.

So I gave this 1 star because the price was really cheap and a 2nd star because I'm sure there are many cats out there that like this food, just not mine. However, I must say that when I smelled the cat food it really didn't smell like something tasty; it didn't even smell like food. Cats are pretty heavily influenced by how everything in their world smells, so I'm kind of surprised at the lack of smell of this food. Of course, perhaps I can't smell what they did not like about it. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with it as I plan to donate it to a shelter.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2015 2:35 PM PDT

Tree of Life Wall Art Decoration Branch Shells Home
Tree of Life Wall Art Decoration Branch Shells Home
Offered by Bombay Jewel
Price: $33.92
14 used & new from $33.92

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Quality Control and Equally Bad Packaging--A Branch was Missing!, April 26, 2015
It took me a week of looking at wall art to decide that this tree would fit perfectly and show up well on the wall I was looking to hang it on. When I received it, it just didn't look right and it took me a few minutes to realize why that was. A small lower branch on the 2nd main stem from the right which should have contained 3 leaves was completely missing leaving an unappealing gap. I was so disappointed. And to make things even worse one leaf had broken off the tree in the same area and was in pieces in the box.

I purchased this tree from eHomeProducts and fulfilled by Amazon. It was rattling around in the box when delivered as there was no styrofoam or even paper used in packing to keep it from falling from side to side in the box. I returned it. I'm ordering another one, as it was a perfect size for me and very pretty--but certainly not from eHomeProducts. Hopefully I will at least get all the branches on the next one.

DAWGS Ladies Z Sandal
DAWGS Ladies Z Sandal
Price: $15.63 - $39.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Identical Drug Store Z Sandals Have Softer Cushioning and are Less Expensive Too, April 7, 2015
This review is from: DAWGS Ladies Z Sandal (Apparel)
I bought a pair of Dawgs in January in the olive color (from Target because of the mixed reviews here on Amazon so I could more easily return them if needed). They felt stiff and without much give in the sole when walking--OK but not especially comfortable, at least to my feet.

I had bought a pair of pink Hounds last spring. What are Hounds? Hounds are Z sandals that look absolutely identical to the Dawgs Z's except that they are sold only by Walgreens for $10 in white, black, hot pink and beige with a Hounds logo instead of the Dawgs. I just loved how soft and comfy the Hounds were compared to the Dawgs and have wore them all winter in the house with socks on because they feel so good.

Although another reviewer here on Amazon said the Hounds were better than the Dawgs, I prayed she was wrong because I wanted more colors. Unfortunately she was right. I compared the sandals by putting a Hound on one foot and a Dawg on the other and walking around and only the Dawg barked. It is amazing to me how two identical looking shoes seemingly made from the exact same rubber/plastic can feel so different. The Dawgs seemed slightly narrower, the sole stiffer and harder with less give when you walk and your foot pushes down on it. The Hounds felt slightly wider, sturdy but not stiff at all when walking and the sole is much cushier--the sole material pushes down more and springs back up in a softer way.

I have cleaned out the Walgreen stores in my area which just put the Hounds out in the last week or so--late March to early April. These are only stocked in spring in my area in the 4 colors I mentioned and it appears that each store gets just 3 pairs of each color (one size 5-6, one size 7-8, and one size 9-10) and they do not restock. (Yeah, I've done my homework about these Hounds because I friggin want to be buried in these sandals I like them so much) So now would be the time to look there if you want to try them on or see if I'm right that they are more comfortable.

Dawgs get good reviews generally, so they must be OK for most people. But if you are like me and have feet that like to sprawl out in the summer and need to be cradled in the cushiest material you can find for them, I think you should at least check out the Hounds. I want people to know that a cheaper and possibly better alternative for identical Z sandals may be available locally in your area, although they are unfortunately seasonal .
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2015 1:01 PM PDT

East of the Full Moon
East of the Full Moon
Price: $8.91

5.0 out of 5 stars It Hurts To Listen To This Music, But In A Good Way!, February 19, 2015
This review is from: East of the Full Moon (MP3 Music)
I'd never heard of Deuter until about 2 or 3 years ago when I was looking to use some free MP3 credits on something interesting. I'd read a review somewhere recommending the 1st two songs of the "East of the Full Moon" album. I played the samples and they all sounded really good (from what little you get to hear) but when I got to #9 - Dawn Shimmer - it really grabbed me.

Dawn Shimmer is a combination of piano and a flute melody(not Indian flute). I had thought I was looking for some background music to listen to when I read or worked on the computer and I did in fact listen to it on my computer after I purchased it. But while listening to it I found myself unable to type, I was so drawn into the rich and wondrous sounds and melody. I had to sit back and turn up the volume. It made my heart ache somehow to listen to it. There are some birds quietly chirping in the background now and then and while I do not normally like nature sounds mixed with music, it seemed somehow perfect. A singular melody starts, transposes and repeats throughout the piece blending in a synchronous uplifting way. I can see a piece like this, named Dawn Shimmer, being somehow a rejoicing at the rise of the sun and the start of a new day.

If you prefer to buy singles, the title track, East on the Full Moon is also one that is always on my top relaxation playlist. Dammerschein and Earth Shadow are other favorites of mine. No bad tracks here.

I do not claim to be a music expert, but what I do know is that the music is just amazingly beautiful. I have since become a collector of Deuter's music and it all started for me with this album.

SOS Italian Cooking
SOS Italian Cooking
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound tasty but measurements complicate the cooking, February 14, 2015
A well rounded group of tasty sounding Italian pasta & risotto, fish & meat, vegetable and dessert recipes.

There are unfortunately no pictures, but recipes from the table of contents do link directly to the recipes. Ingredients are generally things you have on hand or are easy to find. Instructions are clear, organized and detailed down to the size of the pot or pan to use.

Some recipe choices are risotto with sausage, spinach gnocchi, pizzaiola style steak, chicken cacciatore, trout with butter and sage, fried mashed potato balls, griddled zucchini and eggplant, lemon cream cake, apple pie, and of course lasagna.

The only problem I have is with the measurements. They are in both metric and American standard. In order to use the American standard measurements you will need a scale, conversion chart and also to do a bit of guesstimating unless you have metric measures because the amounts are not typical. For examples, 5.29 oz of butter, 0.63 cup milk, cut into 2 cm pieces, preheat oven to 356 F.

Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming
Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming
Price: $1.29

2.0 out of 5 stars This Isn't The Traditional Carole King, It Won't Be For Everyone, December 17, 2013
This song is a very simple combo of vocals and piano and yet I couldn't help feel like I was listening to my niece practice for her school Christmas play. It was very piercing to my ears. I love Carole King when she sings the songs that showcase her unique voice filled with feeling that touch your soul. I sort of hate it when popular singers put out these Christmas albums as they often fall short of what the singer is capable of. This is not Carole King at her best in my opinion or maybe I just don't like this song. You will either love her rendition of this song or hate it. As for me, I had to listen to Tapestry, It's All Right, and Jazzman to get my head straight after listening to this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2013 7:34 PM PST

FRiEQ® Hi-Speed Extra Long (6 Ft/1.8m) Nylon Braided Tangle-Free USB 2.0 Micro USB Charging/Sync Cable For Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note 2, HTC, Motorola, LG, PS4, Xbox one (Light Blue/Yellow)
Offered by LowerPriceUSA
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough Colorful Bungee Style USB Cord Stands Apart From Others, It's More Fun, December 3, 2013
This is a durable, attractive, and reasonably priced USB cable that comes with a 2 year warranty that works well. I'm very happy with it and it is now my go-to USB cable mainly due to it's fun blue and yellow color and bungee look. These will make great gifts.

It's longer at 6 feet than many of my other USB cables which are 3 feet or less. Long enough so that my grandson was able to plug in his PS4 controller and play games until the remote charged up. My cats love to chew through the nice soft cords of many of my other cables but showed no interest in this one. That's a big plus. It is a rougher material and slightly stiffer so I think it's going to last a long time and the connectors are molded well against the cable where they meet.

The USB end seemed easier to grip than some of my other cables which when I attach to the ports on my computer are hard to pull out. The ends on this one felt more grippy to me and are easy to get a good hold on.

These come in great colors which also serve a function. If you're like me you have a drawer full of black or white cables: USB(micro, mini, male/female male/male), optical, HDMI and others all in a heap. So I like that the 2 color braided cable stands out. It's easy to know which one to grab for or tell someone to get.

In a world of bland and boring black and white cables these are just more fun.

Woods 32555 Outdoor Remote Control Outlet Converter Kit
Woods 32555 Outdoor Remote Control Outlet Converter Kit
Price: $9.95
61 used & new from $7.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Newly Designed Remote, Reasonably Priced, Work Well So Far, December 2, 2013
When I was researching buying these I looked at the remote shown on Amazon's website and thought it looked cheap and would probably be the weak point in the durability of these devices. To my surprise the ones I received have a more modern and attractive design as well as looking and feeling sturdier. (I submitted a picture which you should be able to see here on the website)

I really like these as they are very useful for lights or other electronics that are plugged in in hard to reach areas. A battery for the remote is included. The replacement battery is an A23 Battery, 12 Volt like the Energizer A23 Battery, 12 Volt - 2 Pack. For in home use I usually stick these to a wall with Velcro sticky back tape; this way you don't lose the remotes but you can easily pull them off the wall if you need to.

There is only one 3 prong outlet to plug things into. In order to get around the channel limitation I have paired this with a Ziotek ZT1120131 HC1 Black Liberator Dual Outlet Wall Adapter, 2 Pack. I think I'll be trying the Leviton 692-W 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Triple Cube Grounding Adapter, White for my next bright idea. Not sure how these adapter would work outside as so far I am using them in either the house or garage.

I ordered 4 of these and each one is a different channel. They sell these in 6 different channels (A-F). You cannot change the channel. The ones I received are channels A, C, D, & F. What this means is that if I had 2 different lamps in the same room and I wanted to turn them both on or off at the same time I would need to press the on/off button on both remotes. I had hoped that at least two of them would be the same channel but you can't specify what channels you want when you order. I hope that Woods will provide that option in the future.

When you press the "on" button of the remote it turns on the light (or whatever you have plugged into it) and also turns on a small but bright red light on the plugged in connector unit. This doesn't matter much if it's outside or plugged in behind a couch but if it is someplace that is visible the light is rather glaring. For example, I gave one to my Mom to turn on a lamp that is in the front window. The wall plug is behind some sheer curtains and the light on it shines brightly through the curtains and is unsightly. A problem like this is really minor as a piece of duck tape over the light easily solves the problem.

I am currently using a Skylink WS-100/WS-100N Wireless Remote Control, Channel A for a bedroom lamp and while they are very reliable they are also quite expensive. These are much more reasonably priced at about $8 when I bought them. These exact Woods units sell for $17.99 at Home Depot.

So far these are working well but I'm giving this just 4 stars for now until I further test the distance these work from, how well they work outside, whether the remote holds up and if the "signal travels through walls, windows and doors" as the manufacturer claims. I would like to be able to use it to turn on a fan in the basement from upstairs . . . we'll see how that goes. I will update my review after I've had these a while longer.
Comment Comment | Permalink

SquareTrade 2-Year Game Console Protection Plan ($350-400)
SquareTrade 2-Year Game Console Protection Plan ($350-400)
Offered by SquareTrade
Price: $33.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Get a 3-Year Console Warranty for about $5 More By Buying Directly From Square Trade's Website and Using a Coupon Code, November 22, 2013
If you want to purchase a Square Trade warranty, for your new PS4 for example, it is best to do it directly from the Square Trade website.

You can get a 3 year protection plan for $37.75 with a 30% off coupon code which is a much better offer than this.

You can get a 3 year protection plan with accident coverage for $55.97 with a 30% off coupon(most people wouldn't need this, or will they?)--actually as of the date of my review, the SquareTrade 3-Year Game Console Accident Protection Plan ($350-400) is the same price, so if you wanted to get it via Amazon you wouldn't need a coupon and it's still a good deal. (NOTE: SquareTrade Protection Plans sold on Amazon only cover products purchased from Amazon within the last 30 days, so if you didn't buy your console on Amazon you need to purchase one from Square Trade's website directly, [...] )

You can google "squaretrade 30 off" to find some codes on the web.
They usually issue them on Tuesdays & sometimes on Fridays. (Sometimes there are even 35% and rarely a 40% code)

Here's a few codes that are good only today 11/22/13:
01Q60001M767J008
01Q60001M767Q001
01Q60001M7681002

If you need a code you can contact me via the e-mail on my profile and I'll try to get you one if I have it.

I very much like Square Trade warranties and use them on items that I think have a good change of possible failure within a 3 year time period. To me $38 is not a lot to pay for the peace of mind I get from knowing that I'm covered if anything goes wrong with my console down the road. Dealing with Square Trade has always been very simple for me and they have always been polite and helpful on the phone. When a camera I owned broke, I received the full value I paid for the camera very quickly.

A warranty on a PS4 purchased from Amazon would start on the date Amazon shipped it. With a 3 year warranty, the first year is covered by Sony's 1 year warranty but the next 2 years are completely covered by Square Trade. (On this 2 year warranty, the first year is covered by Sony's 1 year warrant and the next year would be covered by Square Trade.)

You can read more about what is covered here:
[...]

I'm not sure if the warranty covers problems with the controller, but you can contact Square Trade at 1-877-WARRANTY (1-877-927-7268) and ask. Of course the controller has 1 year warranty from the manufacturer anyway. Accessories like earbuds or a power cable are never covered as they are considered accessories that the buyer can replace themselves.

You need to purchase a Square Trade warranty within 30 days of the Amazon ship date of your console or the purchase date on your receipt if you bought it somewhere else(save your receipt). But, if you change you mind about it within the first 30 days after you purchase it, you can get the full amount you paid back from Square Trade. And if you sell your console, the warranty can be easily transferred to the person that purchases it.

Note: If you bought a package that included a game(s) for more than $399, you can still just take out a warranty in the $399 price group because all you really need to cover is the console.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2014 2:54 PM PDT

Dr. Panda's Airport
Dr. Panda's Airport
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars You Shall Not Pass! But Otherwise A Pretty Great Game For Kids!, August 29, 2013
This review is from: Dr. Panda's Airport (App)
I see that there are many Dr. Panda games and they are apparently dearly loved by many. Being new to them I'm seeing some really good stuff here with some unwelcome demands for ratings and unguarded links to the internet (Facebook, Amazon website, more games by TribePlay) mixed in.
Note: If you don't care about the annoying things, feel free to skip down to my "Review of the Actual Game" section.

The Good: There's a Child Lock on the game. If you select the "For Parents" icon you're told to tap a picture of a lock 4 times(# varies) to continue. That's good. You'd think so wouldn't you.

The Bad: Next, on a nicely laid out full screen with sweet, sweet music playing in the background I see: (ugh)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Like our game? Please, give us a review! REVIEW US
2. Subscribe to our newsletter and stay tuned! SUBSCRIBE
3. Show promotions screen ON

--- Like us on facebook! Like
I press "X" to close the screen without doing anything and I can play the game. When I leave the game it continues to run in the background. I force close it. When I restart it I see the same screen (as above) again.
My interpretation: "You Shall Not Pass"--quote from Gandalf in J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Fellowship of the Ring".

Frustrated, I now hand it to my granddaughter who just woke up. I'm curious to see what she will do from here while I finish making lunches for morning. When I return she is giggling and I sit down to see what's up. She's watching a really cute Japanese YouTube video, "The Sushis! Mawaru Rumba" and singing along with it. The Good: Nice, I think she's learning Japanese! The Bad: She's now roaming free on the internet. So much for the CHILD LOCK on this game(See UPDATE below).

So I decide to continue testing out the app. I now get a message "Give us a 5-star rating! Having fun with Dr. Panda? Rate us 5 stars! Options: Rate it 5 star, Remind Me Later, Dismiss". I choose "Dismiss" and now I'm back to that screen (see above) again--"You Shall Not Pass"! Wow, they really mean it!

Review of the Actual Game:
-------------------------------
Anyway, now to get to the actual game. If you look at all these Dr. Panda games you can see why they get such good reviews and this one is no different. The graphics are top notch, there's goofy looking cartoon characters, the music is catchy without being distracting or annoying, and the game runs smoothly with no bugs or problems I have found.

There's a really good variety of things to do in the game. Within the theme of an airport there is a simplified find the hidden objects, matching like items, number/letter/shape recognition, hand eye coordination, maze puzzles, how to use a pay telephone that uses coins and more. You even learn how to form a queue. Success is rewarded with cheers by the crowd and a rain of pretty colored falling stars. This game is good enough that even I was entertained by it all. The only confusing thing to me is why I kept, quite often seeing an airplane taking off on the runway. Silly adult that I am, I kept trying to make it do something until I realized that it just meant the game was loading and switching screens. (obviously I have never played a Dr. Panda game)

The game is fairly intuitive but very young kids will probably need some help. For example, you see words like "Departures" and "Baggage Claims" and even I had to wonder what you're supposed to do next. The answer is simple. You just touch the any character and it leads you into the next game. Confusing for an adult but probably a no-brainer for many kids. I'd say the target age group here is probably around 5 years old since logic/reasoning and letter/number association is involved.

I could nitpick and say some things are not quite right like, for example, when you use the telephone you enter an 8-digit number (instead of a typical 7-digit local phone number. I think China has 8-digit phone numbers). And have kids ever even seen a pay telephone let alone one that uses coins, do they even exist--just kidding(sort of). I'm sure they do exist and an airport might be just the place to find one. When you go through airport security some of the items that I saw passengers stopped for were cigarette lighters, a men's electric razor and a razor that uses blades. I guess this is OK for kids considering the world we live in; at least there were no knives or guns. You decide.

So yes, overall a very fun and polished game that promotes learning for kids, isn't too difficult, and doesn't require Wi-Fi. This app really eats away at your battery though, but just make sure to force close the game(at least on a Kindle Fire HD) when you're done or your device will be dead by morning. Dr. Panda fans should not be disappointed with this game, especially with it being free today.

UPDATE 8/29 at 3 PM: After reading a somewhat conflicting review posted after mine by Thomas Recely, I went back today and looked at the game again. What I thought was a Child Lock is actually sort of a Parent Trap(and that's a good thing). At the beginning of the game you see what look like 3 icons to choose from. The first is a round icon with a footprint on it, the second is a rectangular icon that says "For Parents" and the third is a round Airplane icon in the middle of the screen. If you select the footprint icon it does nothing(purely decorative, part of the scenery). If you choose the "For Parents" icon you DO get stuck in the review, subscribe, promotions, facebook screens as I explained above. If I had selected the big Airplane icon (which I thought was also just decorative, duh!) I would have been able to play the game without interruption.

If you just ignore the "For Parents" icon you won't be nagged for reviews or anything else. If kids just tap the round Airplane icon(<--CORRECT CHOICE), they can start the game themselves, play quite safely, and not get access to the internet(or YouTube). Sorry for any confusion.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2013 1:18 PM PDT