Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Sara Locatelli > Reviews

Browse

Sara Locatelli's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sara Locatelli "SML" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL)

Made in Italy: Food and Stories
Made in Italy: Food and Stories
by Dan Lepard
30 used & new from $25.49

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite cookbooks, August 11, 2011
My husband and I received this book as a wedding present. I'm sure the inspiration for buying this book for us was because of our name (also Locatelli, though I don't know offhand if my husband is a relative of Giorgio's), but this book has quickly become one of my favorite cookbooks. Absolutely beautiful to look at, I sometimes just flip through it and resist the urge to salivate. This book has also taught me a lot about Italian food and cooking - about which I knew very little before meeting my husband and his family - and provides explanations on cooking techniques. For example, I learned why my success rate for properly cooked risotto has been so low and how to correct the mistakes I had been making. As others have pointed out, some of the recipes are a bit advanced and you may not be able to make all the dishes in the book. This book is filled with interesting history and great stories, though, so even if you don't plan on cooking any of the dishes, anyone who loves food will surely find something about this book to enjoy.

Psychology and Law: Theory, Research, and Application (with InfoTrac®)
Psychology and Law: Theory, Research, and Application (with InfoTrac®)
by Curt R. Bartol
41 used & new from $0.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but some issues, November 15, 2007
When I was first asked to teach a class in Psychology and Law, I chose this book (after some deliberation). I've been using it for my class this semester and have to say I am somewhat disappointed. There are many typos in the book. Most are inconsequential, but a few involved the mixing up of different terms, which confused me for a second (and then I figured it out) but posed a great problem for my students (who don't have as much of a background in this field).

In addition, the organization within the chapters does not always make sense to me; sometimes, they'll mention something at one point and then come back to it later on in the chapter, bringing up newer information and research, when it seems it would have been easier to cover all the information related to that specific topic at once. In many chapters, they cover the history of a topic (sometimes too much history, such as in the chapter on Family Law) but fail to even offer a basic history of the field of psychology and law itself. They quote Munsterberg (considered by many, including myself, to be the father of psychology and law) once, and even then, they quote him from a secondary source.

Another issue (and this is not something the authors could necessarily control) is how much the field of psychology and law changes and it is difficult for books to keep up with this information. For that reason, I think textbook companies should consider creating websites that offer such updated information, or even, publishing textbooks electronically, allowing for more frequent updates (but that's an issue that, I think, involves textbooks in many fields, so this isn't as much a criticism of this book as it is a criticism of the industry iteself).

Finally, this textbook is not always written in a manner that is interesting and engaging to students. I don't think we should be trying to entertain students (they need to learn that sometimes topics can be boring) but we need textbooks that are accessible to students. I have a difficult enough time getting my students to actually read and understand their textbook as it is.

Overall, I think this book is accurate in it's information (more than I can say for some textbooks) but has so many issues that I have decided not to continue using this book in my class.

Fushigi Yugi - The Mysterious Play: Box Set 2 - Seiryu (Episodes 27-52)
Fushigi Yugi - The Mysterious Play: Box Set 2 - Seiryu (Episodes 27-52)
DVD ~ Fushigi Yugi-Mysterious Play
10 used & new from $66.92

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Part of the Series..., May 28, 2004
... and really, the best part of all of Fushigi Yugi, including Eikoden (shudder) and Oni (though not including the manga). As I said in my previous review of Suzaku, I believe this series is under-rated, and, to repeat myself further, I was guilty of this as well. I really didn't like the first few episodes, but kept watching and grew to like it. Then I saw Seiryu, and it was all worth it. Seiryu has all of the characters we have grown to love, with a much deeper, darker message than Suzaku. We grow to understand why Yui has grown to hate Miaka so much (you would too if you ended up with a mind-f***er like Nakago). We really begin to feel for the characters and their heart-ache. And we begin to see Yu Watase's deeper messages: messages about life, love, friendship and war. When I first started Suzaku, I wondered how anyone (Gilles Poitras) could list Fushigi Yugi in their top 41 recommended titles. Seiryu made me see why. It's a great series, and once you make it through the first half, you can enjoy the wonderful second installment.

Fushigi Yugi - The Mysterious Play:  Box Set 1 - Suzaku (Episodes 1-26)
Fushigi Yugi - The Mysterious Play: Box Set 1 - Suzaku (Episodes 1-26)
DVD ~ Fushigi Yugi-Mysterious Play
12 used & new from $49.90

4.0 out of 5 stars First Half GREAT - The Second Half BETTER!, April 20, 2004
I just finished watching the last episode of the series, and I feel as though this series is grossly underrated by the anime-viewing public. I will admit, I am guilty of it as well. I watched a few episodes of the English dub and decided that I didn't really care so much for the animation (not nearly up to par with Yu Watase's artwork in the manga), I wasn't so crazy about the voice of Miaka, and I thought that maybe I should just stick with the manga.
But then, the more watched, the more I realized that this was a great series, with deeper messages about friendship, true love and the attrocities of war. I began to see why Gilles Poitras, author of Anime Essentials: Everything a fan needs to know, placed Fushigi Yugi in his list of 41 recommended titles. I have to admit that the first half of the series pales in comparison to the second half, but you have to get through part one to get to part two, so give this series a chance. It's worth it in the end.

Reign the Conqueror
Reign the Conqueror
DVD ~ Tom Fahn
4 used & new from $99.94

4.0 out of 5 stars No history lesson from me!, January 29, 2004
This review is from: Reign the Conqueror (DVD)
If you want a history lesson on Alexander the Great, Masedonia, the Greek empire, etc. don't watch this anime. Read a book. However, if you want to watch an interesting anime about a real life person, with a new take on the people, places and events in his life, then Reign is for you! I really like this anime, even though I already had some knowledge about Alexander the Great and knew that a lot of what was going on in the series was incorrect. It didn't bother me that things were changed. (That's simply the case in anime. And people deal with it. I mean, Cowboy Bebop's authors didn't have the theories involved in hyperspace completely accurate, but you don't see anyone saying not to watch the series because the physics are wrong!) I really recommend this as an anime for any anime fan. Like I said though, don't go looking for a history lesson here. Just sit back and enjoy it!

Jeffrey [VHS]
Jeffrey [VHS]
VHS
Offered by booksforgoodwillgetjobs
Price: $1.99
22 used & new from $0.94

5.0 out of 5 stars A great movie - often misunderstood, November 5, 2002
This review is from: Jeffrey [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This is an excellent movie, and I'm afraid that far too many people have misunderstood the message. Jeffrey is a young gay man who has decided that, due to the fact that sex has become "radioactive" (as he puts it, when referring to the AIDS scare), he is going to give up sex for good. However, then he meets Steve, a kind caring man who is immediately attracted to Jeffrey. There is one problem, Steve is HIV positive. Jeffrey must decide - can he forget about Steve, or can he face his fear. That's what the true message is - AIDS is bad, it's scary, it can kill you, but that can't cause you to constantly live in fear, and that can't cause you to be afraid to love someone because they will eventually die. Darius, the "cat", has a great line, which I know that I will simply butcher if I try to quote it, but it basically goes that AIDS is like the guest that won't leave, but it's still our party. The message is a resounding - LIVE WHILE YOU HAVE THE CHANCE, because you won't live forever, and you can't live in fear. It is true that this is a low budget movie, and let's face it, low budget movies have their mistakes. But hey, so do big, blockbuster, million dollar budget movies (pay attention at your next big budget movie and you'll notice some really BIG ones), so get over it, and just appreciate the movie for it's message.