Profile for Pin Caouenne > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pin Caouenne RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Dread in Babylon
Dread in Babylon
13 used & new from $9.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful album, August 8, 2013
This review is from: Dread in Babylon (Audio CD)
The base of this album is a set of classic reggae songs with beautiful, almost ethereal background harmonies. On top of that, U-Roy delivers dub pronouncements with incredible timing. His voice ranges from a deep growl on up, and the combination of the beauty and simplicity of the songs coupled with the complex authority of his voice is hypnotic. Once a song starts, I have to hear it through every time, and for me the album always seems to end too soon. This is really worth hearing and sharing. Try out the songs Runaway Girl and Chalice in the Palace on YouTube, you'll see what I mean. As my music collection has transitioned from vinyl to CD to mp3 over the years, this has been one of the cornerstones I build my library around. I've never felt that way about his other albums, but this one is a masterpiece.

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
by Reza Aslan
Price: $15.23
261 used & new from $1.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Only harmful if you hit someone with it., August 4, 2013
I'm a Catholic, not an atheist. I have no agenda, I simply find the life of Christ fascinating and read as much about it as I can. Other reviewers are right that this isn't a work of original research, but the research it's built on is serious and valid. What's different about this book is the author's synthesis and interpretation of the research, and I found his conclusions truly intriguing. Unfortunately many people seem to think that their faith is so fragile that dissent can shatter it. I have a little more faith in my faith than that. Having finished the book, I feel as though I've experienced a nice discussion about Jesus, not a brainwashing maneuver. This book does a masterful job of explaining all of the elements present in the setting of the Holy Land at the time of Christ in terms that are accessible to any layperson. The players and the timeline are presented brilliantly. Aslan forwards a great case--which you don't have to accept as your own, nor have an aneurysm over--about who he thinks Jesus really was. One or two of his points I find a little bit tenuous, but overall he has a very cohesive opinion.

If you read this book with an open mind, I think you'll like it as much as I did. You won't be re-programmed by reading it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2013 10:24 AM PDT

Green World: An Introduction to Plants and People
Green World: An Introduction to Plants and People
by Richard M. Klein
27 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating book, March 26, 2013
I got this book for free years ago at a garage sale, and figured it would be a dry read. One day I opened it and couldn't put it down. I had never thought about the dominant role that plants have played in history, and in current life. This book made me look at the world from a totally different perspective. How many books can I say that about?

New 25' X 50' Net Netting For Bird Poultry Aviary Game Pens
New 25' X 50' Net Netting For Bird Poultry Aviary Game Pens

5.0 out of 5 stars netting great, shipping time great, May 4, 2011
this product is great for chicken netting. it's knotted twine, not plastic. it should last me a long time.

Magic, Murder & the Weather
Magic, Murder & the Weather
17 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great record., March 10, 2009
I'm in the minority, but I thought this album was their best. It has a great sense of continuity, and some great songs, a great sound and a weird murky sound. I love it.

Complete Early Recordings 1929-1930
Complete Early Recordings 1929-1930
Price: $14.99
29 used & new from $1.50

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Classic, November 26, 2007
This disc should have a million reviews, and they should all give it 5 stars. It's not Cajun music as it's played today, and that threw me when I first heard it. After a few listens the complexity made more and more sense to me, and the seamless and perfect musicianship and the beauty of the songs began to emerge.

Dennis McGee deserves to be mentioned among the greats of American music alongside the likes of Robert Johnson. Whatever your tastes, if you know what good music really is, you should try this.

Listen to the samples!

A Great and Noble Scheme: The Tragic Story of the Expulsion of the French Acadians from Their American Homeland
by John Mack Faragher
Price: $16.86
49 used & new from $5.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, July 8, 2007
This is a real 5-star book. I was amazed at the level of research, and the abundance of primary sources quoted. A very thorough explanation of the Acadian tale. I wish all popular history books were this good.

For those interested in Louisiana Acadians, I would recommend reading this in conjunction with Carl Brasseaux's books; they pick up the story where Faragher's leaves off. I hope to find a similar book about the northern Acadians. If any other reviewers know of one, please add it to your review.

The Beatles: 1962-1966 (The Red Album)
The Beatles: 1962-1966 (The Red Album)
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $19.99
124 used & new from $0.31

5.0 out of 5 stars the benchmark, January 24, 2007
to give this collection less than a 5 star rating seems impossible, given the fact that the beatles are the standard that all pop music since must be judged by. these tracks are phenomenal, really, a monument to human civilization. it seems impossible that four really young men from one little city in england could be responsible for this. it's also amazing that for once the masses recognized real talent.

London Calling
London Calling
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $6.81
104 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars the first bad clash album, December 22, 2006
This review is from: London Calling (Audio CD)
This album is a critics' darling, and perhaps the most overrated album of the rock era. It would have made a decent single album, but as a double, it's like sitting through a bad movie. Part of the problem is that the first Clash album truly is one of the greatest rock albums of all time. Even "Give 'Em Enough Rope," which often gets bad reviews, is a great record. By the time LC came out, the Clash were billing themselves as "the only band that matters," and critics were accepting it as fact. This albums makes it sound as if the Clash were buying a little too heavily into it, too. It is a major dropoff from their earlier work and even when viewed on its own, LC is an uneven, uninspired effort. While it's often named as one of the top albums of all time, it wasn't even one of the best albums released at its time.

This was the really the first chink in the armor of the Clash, and they continued losing steam as they went on.

Songs like "Koka Kola," "Four Horsemen," "Death or Glory," and "Right Profile" are so tedious that you have to wonder if the Clash believed they could do no wrong. I can't listen to them anymore. The title cut, "Spanish Bombs," "Revolution Rock," and a few others are superb. Some are just filler. The rest are definitely not 5-star songs.

This would have been about a 4-star album had it been a single album. As it is, the only reason I can see that it got such rave reviews is that the critics were trying to make up for having overlooked the Clash when they were truly great.

Buy the first two Clash albums instead, borrow this one from a friend and burn the good cuts. You'll be able to pick them out easily enough.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2013 2:42 PM PDT

Modern Times
Modern Times
Price: $8.69
256 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars solid, September 3, 2006
This review is from: Modern Times (Audio CD)
The more I listen to this CD, the more I want to. Musically, it's superb, and lyrically it's even better. Dylan's sense of humor shines through constantly, even in the darkest songs. If I couldn't understand a word of English, I'd still want to hear this album again and again. There's very little about it that's not catchy, and catchy isn't an adjective you often hear connected to Dylan.

Page: 1 | 2