Profile for Sheryl Katz > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1989

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sheryl Katz RSS Feed (Chatsworth, CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PUC Wireless MIDI Connection for iOS Devices (PUC142100)
PUC Wireless MIDI Connection for iOS Devices (PUC142100)
Price: $129.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Limitations, August 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great device IF you can live with its limitations. It will connect easily to you PC or device, and is generally more reliable than bluetooth. There is also no more discernible latency than with a cable. BUT

1. It's not the fault of the makers of this device, but fewer and fewer midi controllers are being sold with standard 5 pin midi connectors. They are using USB instead. For me this means that I can't use any of my portable keyboards with this device but only my large 88 key full sized keyboard - which kind of defeats the purpose of having a device that maximizes portability. I can see where if you are using a pedal board that is midi, this device might still be valuable, but it will work with very few portable controllers of recent vintage.

2. It requires that you make a wifi connection direct to this device - which means that as long as you are connected to the device you cannot also use your wifi network. It also means that you have to inconveniently and awkwardly change your network setting back and forth every tim you use it.

I think the device itself is well done and it works. I'd love to be able to use it, but its limitations undermine its usability.

Sweet Tooth: A Memoir
Sweet Tooth: A Memoir
by Tim Anderson
Price: $8.89
42 used & new from $8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Story, Nicely Told., August 18, 2014
This review is from: Sweet Tooth: A Memoir (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a sweet story which I can identify with even though I am not male, don't have diabetes Type I and don't live in the south. It is a straightforward and honestly told story of the awkwardness of growing up. I enjoyed reading it. Sometimes memoirs are cloying or self-aggrandizing. This one is just a nicely told story with good humor and a lot almost anyone could identify with.

FitFlop Women's Summa Sandal,Black,9 M US
FitFlop Women's Summa Sandal,Black,9 M US
Price: $42.98

4.0 out of 5 stars A little stiff at first, run big in size, August 17, 2014
These are nice looking. The straps are a little stiff at first, but they break in quickly. I find Fitflop sizing to be inconsistent. These are a 9 and do run large (which is what I expected) so I ordered them smaller and they fit. However, other Fitflops that I own can be either a 9 or 10. These would have been too big in a 10.

The one issue I do have with these is that my heel strikes in a slightly different part of the shoe than it does on my other Fitflops. This can aggravate my plantar fascistis when it acts up.

MBT Women's Pia Sandal,Caviar Black,41 M EU/10-10.5 B(M) US
MBT Women's Pia Sandal,Caviar Black,41 M EU/10-10.5 B(M) US
2 used & new from $119.95

2.0 out of 5 stars I sent these back. I did not care for ..., August 17, 2014
This review is from: MBT Women's Pia Sandal (Apparel)
I sent these back. I did not care for the fit or the look.

FitFlop Women's Bon Dress Sandal,Camel,9 M US
FitFlop Women's Bon Dress Sandal,Camel,9 M US
Price: $56.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Toe Strap too Binding., August 17, 2014
I sent these back. Generally I like Fitflops because they are supportive. However, they have weird fit. They tend to run large and don't run in half sizes. I ordered these in a 9 and I normally wear a 10 because I had other Fitflops and the 9 fit better than the 10. However, I have subsequently learned that the sizing is not consistent. Sometimes a 9 fits and sometimes a 10 fits, depends on the shoe. With this shoe a 10 would have been a better choice. I found the strap across the toes to hit in an uncomfortable spot and to be too binding.

OXO Good Grips Interlocking Corn Holders, Yellow/Green
OXO Good Grips Interlocking Corn Holders, Yellow/Green
Price: $9.99
4 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever, Big enough to hold the corn, August 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are a lot bigger than the corn holders we had when I was a kid. However, they are also not that big at at least can adequately hold a piece of corn. We get a lot of high quality fresh sweet corn in California. I don't put butter on it, but it is still really hard to hold when hot. The interlocking system on these is very clever - they really do lock firmly but come apart easily. Not essential but nice to have it if you eat a lot of corn on the cob.

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Convertible Ultrabook Tablet - Intel Core i7-4500U, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 13.3" QHD+ 3200x1800 Touchscreen, Intel HD4400 Graphics, Intel 7260-N WiFi, Bluetooth, HD Webcam, USB 3.0, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 8.1 (Silver Grey)
Offered by Tromo Electronics (NO TAX anywhere)
Price: $1,138.58
63 used & new from $509.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Perfect, August 10, 2014
This is probably the best of the windows ultrabook/covertible notebook category. It still is not as good as a Macbook Air.

I have a company where we have the opportunity to work with just about every laptop there is. We own this, and we own the Sony, Asus and Microsoft Surface. I like this one the best but there are a lot of caveats.

The good:
Great screen
Folding screen is clever (and actually useful for some things)
Screen can be set at any angle
Trackpad is very good for a Windows Machine - not as good as Mac but best of breed.
Fast processor
256gb SSD
Lightweight

The bad:
Trackpad still not as good as Mac
Only one USB 3.0 port (why not have 2 instead of 1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.00 - I need at least three USB ports and 2 3.0 ports. USB 3.0 hubs don't work very well)
Keyboard layout is bad. Why oh Why do they make keyboards where the right shift key is smaller than the return key - it is a terrible layout.

Mixed:
Screen resolution. The high resolution screen in some respects is very nice. But it does lead to some anomalies in scaling. One of my biggest problems is that using Remote Desktop to my office computer you need a microscope to read the fonts. This can be fixed by changing the screen resolution. Ultimately I had to install something called Remote Desktop Manager so that I didn't have to do a bunch of reconfiguration every time I remote in.

Windows 8.1 Windows 8.1 is an improvement over 8.0, and it has some features that I like, but I hate Metro. It took a lot of configuring to get the computer set up so that it wasn't accidentally switching to Metro from my hand brushing the track pad.

I don't all that much care for touch screens on a laptop even though I've had several that have it. You end up with a smudgy screen that has to be cleaned all the time. I prefer a separate tablet.

I can't use a Macbook Air for all my laptop work or I would. It still has the best keyboard. It has the best trackpad by far. It has far fewer annoyances than windows. However, the screen resolution needs to be updated to a retina screen. In that respect the Yoga Pro 2 is superior.

All in all I do like the Yoga 2 Pro but I wish the keyboard layout were better. I wish the trackpad were 100% as good as a Mac. I wish my Mac had the screen of the Yoga 2 Pro and better ability to live compatibly in a Windows world. If I didn't need Windows for certain tools and for RDP I'd just use a Mac. (And yes I have used both Parallels and Bootcamp but I have issues with both of those solutions). Most of my issues, except for the keyboard layout are not problems with the Yoga 2 Pro design or build but with Windows.

Woodi USA Soprano 21" Ukulele Wood Grain Simulated 3 with White Fingerboard WU-21W3(WB)
Offered by WOODI USA INC
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $55.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for Beginners, August 10, 2014
Be warned: Do not buy this as a first uke or starter instrument.

It's not bad for what it is - a cheap plastic uke. The strings that come on it are junk and need immediate replacement. Once that is done, you have a plastic uke that actually can be used to make some music. However, the action is way too high. It makes it hard to play, and it is very easy to bend the strings out of tune. The bridge is one solid piece so there is no way to adjust the action.

If you are a uke player and looking for a novelty that you can play in the shower then you might like it. This Woodi is also way better than the plastic so-called Outdoor Uke which is $200 and truly terrible. However, don't make the mistake of thinking this is a good uke to buy for a child or a beginner. There are many ukes by Ohana and Kala that are cheaper and better. The Makala Dolphin is cheaper, also has a plastic body, and comes in a lot of colors. The Dolphin allows for adjusting the action, and and the Dolphin sounds a whole lot better.

So why do I even give this three stars. Well it looks good overall. And it can be played as a ukulele, although not a particularly good one. Uke players seem to have certain fascination with plastic ukes, and as plastic ukes go you could do worse.

Now Designs Basic Potholders, London Grey, Set of 2
Now Designs Basic Potholders, London Grey, Set of 2
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars They do the job, August 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are potholders and thus are about as basic as you can get. They are pretty nice looking as potholders go. The grey is almost a steel blue. They are quite thin, but made of materials that provide good enough protection for your hand.

Dangerous Odds: My Secret Life Inside an Illegal Billion Dollar Sports Betting Operation
by Marisa Lankester
Price: $20.93
59 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading, like a novel., August 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book is very readable. It was kind of like reading a good crime novel. It took me one sitting because it kept me reading. It's a pretty good yarn that I could imagine as a Scorcese movie. I particularly liked that it was told from a woman's point of view, and the woman was an active protagonist. The writing style was straightforward, not annoyingly clumsy or too breezy. This is not a great book, but it is a good story. The author, like a lot of people, made a lot of dumb choices in her 20s. While it is an inside look at a sports betting operation, there isn't much to that - a bunch of people on the phones. It's a bit of a fish out of water story in that the author grew up in an affluent, but not loving, home and had a poorly functioning moral compass. In some ways this reminded me of Piper Kiernan - not the part about being in prison but the part about doing illegal things without any awareness of the consequences. I'll probably forget that I read this book, but I did find it compelling reading while I was reading it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20