Profile for J. Whiteside > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 50

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Whiteside RSS Feed (Missoula, MT)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Mediabridge USB 2.0 - Micro-USB to USB Cable (6 Feet) - High-Speed A Male to Micro B with Gold-Plated Connectors
Offered by Mediabridge Products, LLC
Price: $5.99
4 used & new from $5.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Works With 75% Of My Devices, June 30, 2014
I was seeking to replace a couple of older, worn out USB cables for charging and general connectivity. Overall, these aren't bad cables and do seem to be of reasonably high quality. Both connectors seem to be well fastened and protected, meaning they should hold up for a good deal of time. They function for charging and data connectivity without any troubles, so no complaints there.

The issue I have with these is that the micro-USB end doesn't fit properly into a couple of my devices. The issue is that the micro-USB piece is either too short, or more likely, the large plastic connector just doesn't fit into a recessed charging port at all. Logically so, the USB standards don't really dictate the actual cable or connector's size, it's just the physical port connection type that is standardized. Compared to other cables I have, the plastic part is noticeably larger than my other compatible cables. The point is that I want a couple cables to fit all my devices, not one cable for this and another for that. I ended up having to replace these with an alternate cable just to get cables that would fit all my devices without trouble.

I wouldn't say they're bad cables...they're actually very nice and I would recommend them. It's just the size of the connector and that I had to replace them with cables that did work that makes it a pain point for me. If you have deep recesses in your devices, you may need to hunt elsewhere.

Edit: The manufacturer was kind enough to respond to my complaint. Upgraded from 3 stars to 4 stars, but in reality, that's 5 star behavior. Apparently they're considering altering their design slightly to accommodate recessed ports.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2014 11:35 AM PDT

Shop-Vac 9066600 2.5-Inch Hose Handle Grip
Shop-Vac 9066600 2.5-Inch Hose Handle Grip
Price: $14.11
5 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Turned Out To Be A Good Purchase, June 30, 2014
I hate spending money on plastic parts and this was no exception. Value-wise it's kind of one of those "meh" things where you realize you're spending more than 10 bucks on something that probably amounts to a few cents in plastic. That said, I've gotten over all that.

So, why do you need this? (You don't need it, you want it.) Well, put simply, it allows you to ergonomically vacuum a floor with your shop vac. No more leaning down to reach all those places or awkwardly holding the tubes to get a good vacuum job in. On one end you connect your 2.5" shop vac hose and on the other, you connect the tubes and a floor accessory. The handle is convenient and comfortable with the angle turning out to be just about perfect for what it's designed to do. As for value proposition, there probably isn't much of one...it maybe saves me a few seconds time, it's more about comfort alone really.

Now that I've forgotten what I paid for it, it's a good thing to have in the shop and I'm glad I have it. Now, if they just made an accessory that did all the work for me...that would be value!

Coleman Grill and Grill-Stove Carry Case
Coleman Grill and Grill-Stove Carry Case
Offered by Bargain Ben
Price: $38.90
3 used & new from $32.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Will It Fit? Apparently It Will!, June 30, 2014
I have an older Coleman grill stove that unfortunately didn't have any model number printed on the unit. It's probably an early to mid 90's model with a blue top. I opted to take the chance, assuming that the designs haven't changed significantly over the years. Sure enough, my stove fits this carry case perfectly with some room to spare for the griddle I added here a few years back.

Overall, the quality seems pretty good and should last for years to come. I inspected the unit for weak seams and possible points of failure and thankfully, didn't find anything outstanding. Convenience wise, I'm glad to finally have a handle (yes, that's a pun) on my stove's portability...it's always been kind of a large, awkward thing to tote around. It provides a pretty good degree of protection to the stove, not that the Coleman stoves need it as they're pretty much bullet proof to begin with...it's more about the portability. The propane holders are probably unnecessary, but I suppose a nice addition and it does make it nice to be mostly all inclusive. The best part, though, is that the stove can be easily stored where I want it...vertically, horizontally...and I can easily string it up on a tree to practice proper bear safety in areas where that's a concern. I don't think I'd want to tote this thing for miles on end, but for a reasonable walk-in camp site, it fits the bill just fine. Overall, it's turned out to be one of my favorite additions to my camp kit in awhile.

As some mentioned, there really aren't "two versions" of the case. One is for just a stove, one is for a grill and stove. If you have the griddle/grill part, you need this. If you just have a two burner stove, the other one is probably what you need. It was only confusing to me because my stove model didn't have "grill stove" printed on it, but it didn't take long to figure out.

The Milepost 2014
The Milepost 2014
by Kris Valencia
Price: $25.46
52 used & new from $21.63

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great 2014 AK Road Trip, June 11, 2014
This review is from: The Milepost 2014 (Paperback)
There's no doubt that pretty much the only people who would buy this book are people who are planning a road trip to Alaska, myself included. The unfortunate thing is, there's really no accurate review that can be made until you make that trip. Given that most of the reviews on this book (at this moment) are from June 2014 or earlier, I can say that many haven't made the trek with the book. Myself included, for what it's worth in an honest review...I'm scheduled for a whirlwind tent-camping trip between August and September...a trip I've wanted to make since I've been able to drive.

I was reluctant to buy the Milepost, mostly because of price. After thinking about it, though, considering I'll be investing thousands of dollars into my trip...it ultimately became a no-brainer for what it can bring with up-to-date info and essential knowledge along the journey. Few would argue that the Milepost is the quintessential reference for the Alcan trip, but now that I have it, the value is far more than I expected. To me, the real savings (and reason I don't begrudge the purchase) was with the maps included of all the various routes. I had planned on purchasing a map of AK, BC and the Yukon ('cause you'll never get this guy to totally trust GPS technology) to supplement the trip, but now I don't need to. (There's $10+ right there.)

As for what's included? Every ridiculous thing you could practically want to know from pretty much any major or minor route in, into and out of Alaska. You'll find out about the crazy festivals, the camping and hotel opportunities, historical information, things to do, places to fuel up, mileage markers...in fact, I don't even know why I'm trying to detail it, as I could never do it justice. The point is this. As for me and my road trips, I don't like to plan too much ahead...I like to have a route planned, but let the trip happen to me within a general timeline, instead of forcing my way through through the trip. (Don't get me wrong, I'm an experienced and relatively prepared camper, road tripper and traveler.) I was nervous about taking that laissez-faire approach with Alaska, mainly because there are some serious distances between things and knowing where you are and where your next gas and night's sleep is can't be understated. To me, this book alleviates any concerns. We're not studying it extensively now, just flipping through...we have the route planned and will have an undeniably excellent road reference for the 5500 mile posts we'll be passing on this journey. I'm comfortable with taking a more laid back approach to the trip because of this book, so that's what matters to me.

I'll report back once I've made the journey, but it's aiming to be unforgettable!

Northstar 1050 HD Tuff Cloth Diamond Ripstop Series Gear/Duffle Bag (16 x 40-Inch, Blue)
Price: $19.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster Sized Duffel, June 11, 2014
I ordered a couple of the Northstar bags to try and store my camping gear and I have to say, it was one of the best decisions I've made. I like these so much, I own probably seven of the various sizes and colors now, all sized to fit the gear they'll stow. This particular size is ginormous...and probably one of my favorites of all the sizes. I used it to store my tent & accessories, tent blanket, lantern, sleeping pads, sleeping bags and several other items with a fair bit of room to spare. (To me, the 16x40 is more about the length, but the diameter is helpful too.) It's actually kind of tough to fill up without making it too heavy! The awesome thing is they're cheap enough you can have several so you can have a highly organized outfit.

Overall, the quality is great. I like that they have both nylon carry straps and an over-the-shoulder option, all of which are heavily reinforced. The duffel material is pretty strong, definitely something that can handle camp gear, wear and tear and rugged use. The hardware that comes with is relatively cheap and will probably break if you load it up, so I've retrofitted mine with replacement shoulder strap webbing and all-metal hardware and this decidedly brings it to a premium, practically indestructible configuration. I'll also probably apply a proper water-proofing down the road, but as is they can sustain a bit of light rain with no consequence. I've hauled these in, fully loaded, to walk-in camps several times...and compared to my old Rubbermaid tote system, I can easily load up 2-4 on me each trip and make short work of the trip in and out.

The one probable drawback is that there's no built-in internal or external compartments, so it does require a little bit of accessorizing to make it work in many situations. I've made dozens of stuff sacks from 70 denier nylon to keep the gear they hold compartmentalized and organized, which makes the bags much easier and pleasant to use. Other than that, I can't really think of any other complaints. Even if I consider the stuff sacks and the metal hardware upgrades, I've probably got $25-30 into them total...easily money well spent, considering I cut my entire camping kit storage size in half and save time/effort every camp trip.

Highly recommended.

Northstar 1050 HD Diamond Ripstop Series Duffle Bag (12x24 Inch,Black)
Northstar 1050 HD Diamond Ripstop Series Duffle Bag (12x24 Inch,Black)
Price: $16.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Get One Or A Few, Better With Upgrades, June 11, 2014
I ordered a couple of the Northstar bags to try and store my camping gear and I have to say, it was one of the best decisions I've made. I like these so much, I own probably seven of the various sizes and colors now, all sized to fit the gear they'll stow. I have one of this size and use it to store my tarps, rope and bungee cords...with a little bit of space to spare. To me, the 12x24 size is a little bit limiting for most of my gear...but as a tarp bag, or even a short-trip clothing bag, it'd be just fine. The awesome thing is they're cheap enough you can have several so you can have a highly organized outfit, but do make sure you check out all the other sizes as well and find what you need.

Overall, the quality is great. I like that they have both nylon carry straps and an over-the-shoulder option, all of which are heavily reinforced. The duffel material is pretty strong, definitely something that can handle camp gear, wear and tear and rugged use. The hardware that comes with is relatively cheap and will probably break if you load it up, so I've retrofitted mine with replacement shoulder strap webbing and all-metal hardware and this decidedly brings it to a premium, practically indestructible configuration. I'll also probably apply a proper water-proofing down the road, but as is they can sustain a bit of light rain with no consequence. I've hauled these in, fully loaded, to walk-in camps several times...and compared to my old Rubbermaid tote system, I can easily load up 2-4 on me and make short work of the trip in and out.

Highly recommended.

Northstar 1050 HD Tuff Cloth Diamond Ripstop Series Gear/Duffle Bag (14 x 30-Inch, Black)
Price: $20.61
2 used & new from $20.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Get One Or A Few, Better With Mods, June 11, 2014
I ordered a couple of the Northstar bags to try and store my camping gear and I have to say, it was one of the best decisions I've made. I like these so much, I own probably seven of the various sizes and colors now, all sized to fit the gear they'll stow. These are a fantastic middle sized bag where you need a fair bit of room, but not quite as much as the grand daddy 16x40 will net you. Specifically, I can easily store a week's worth of clothes in one of these, but I also have one for my entire camp kitchen and a miscellaneous bag for storing rope, propane, tools, etc. The awesome thing is they're cheap enough you can have several so you can have a highly organized outfit.

Highly recommended.

(Set of 6) Mixing Bowls Standard Weight Stainless Steel *Mirror Finish* ¾, 1½, 3, 4, 5, and 8 Qt.
Offered by Urban Shoppe
Price: $26.45
8 used & new from $23.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bowl Set, June 2, 2014
I have plenty of bowls in my kitchen, no doubt. But, lately I've been endeavoring into freezer cooking, essentially preparing 10+ meals in a single cooking session. The technique requires a lot of clean bowls, more than I had previously. Enter this pack and I'm not worried about bowls anymore. The quality is OK...it's not super strong/thick stainless steel, but more of a lightweight type of SS...but for the price and quantity, I'm pleased. I haven't had any issues with denting or damage so far and they've definitely been dropped a few times. I've found them to be stable, which is probably the most important characteristic of a kitchen bowl. The large ones are fairly large...great for large batches, baking, receiving food transfers from pots and so forth. Obviously these probably can't be your only bowls in the kitchen...that is, if you use a microwave at all...so a proper Pyrex kit is also worth it's weight. But, to fill out an existing collection and to be able to simultaneously do many things, this kit met my expectations. Of course, if you're one of those folks that are looking for the best of everything in your kitchen...you'll probably want something where you pay for the price of this kit for each bowl.

Thermarest LuxuryMap Mattress
Thermarest LuxuryMap Mattress
Price: $89.98 - $419.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Choice For Car Campers, June 2, 2014
I bought my first Thermarest mattress for backpacking almost two decades ago and it's still running strong with many hundreds of uses under it's belt. Although I still backpack here and there, car camping is part of most of my outdoor adventures these days and my average overnighters usually reach into 25-50 nights a year. It was finally time to add a pair of high quality, comfort-focused sleeping pads to the kit. Two factors were involved...comfort, obviously, but also a fair degree of cold protection for those occasional off-season jaunts. With a rating down to -40 degrees Fahrenheit and what seemed like a good 3" of comfort, the LuxuryMap series fit the bill nicely.

I went with the large (middle size) and I'm glad I did...and would probably suggest to others that you start there. The extra width and length is well worth it, even for an average sized person. If weight is a concern, you should probably be looking at other models than this one...but the regular size might be good for a backpacker who doesn't mind hauling a considerable bit of extra weight for the added comfort. (It wouldn't be worth it for me.) Still, unless you have a specific reason for the small/regular size, like perhaps trying to fit between the wheel wells of a truck, I'd suggest the large as a starting point. They are considerable in size, but this probably isn't your biggest concern...you're obviously here shopping for comfort, rather than a small concise backpacker's model.

Second, it took me a bit to understand how to use this thing for comfort. If you blow it up firm, it will give you an experience just like a well inflated 1" mattress and you will probably wake up with the typical "slept on the ground" feeling the next day. The advantage of the 3" of depth is you can intentionally deflate it so as to allow it to curve to your body much better than their other models. When doing so, it really does add a welcome degree of comfort. I've slept on my side, back and chest and this mattress doesn't have any particular weak points that I could find. With the unit a bit on the soft side, it truly does take it beyond your traditional sleeping pad.

From the initial few outings so far, I've seen a remarkable improvement in the way I feel the next morning. Getting a little bit older, I am a little more sensitive these days than I was as a young 20-something, so it was well worth the expense for that. More importantly though, the quality of sleep I receive is much improved. On my older Thermarest, I used to toss and turn much of the night, lightly sleeping through the night...but even though a major multi-hour thunderstorm, these mattresses helped me get to sleep and stay asleep. Lastly, although I haven't taken these extreme conditions camping (which I usually define as snow on the ground and sub-freezing outside), I can tell the cold performance is improved over my traditional pad. I'll have a better idea this coming winter.

I'm pleased with these pads and would buy them again. I think if you are looking for the same long-term reliability, performance and comfort that I was...they should definitely be on a short list of considerations.

Oneway Multi Gauge
Oneway Multi Gauge
Offered by Hartville Tool
Price: $94.99
2 used & new from $94.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, But Worth It, January 9, 2014
This review is from: Oneway Multi Gauge
As many others here, I'm completely satisfied with the Oneway and primarily use it for tuning up my jointer. I struggled with a Jointer Pal, which did the job, but left me hanging with unknowns of how much variance I actually had on my knives and blade parallelism. The Oneway completely changed that for me and I'll never go back.

It was a hard tool to swallow at nearly 100 bucks, especially considering it's mostly a one-trick pony. (It does have other uses, but I mostly use it for my jointer tuneups.) I had it setup in a few minutes and I was measuring tolerances a few minutes later. Nearly immediately, I was able to determine my cutterhead was off parallel by .004" across the length and my outfeed was high another .003". With a few shims and adjustments, I was able to reduce those tolerances to less than .001", nearly undetectable with a straight edge and feeler gauges. Setting the blades was also a breeze with the quick feedback this unit is able to provide. Another bonus, I was able to find my knive's TDC (top dead center) with precision, something I struggled with when using a straight edge. The results alone gave me the quality of a high end jointer set perfectly from the factory, so I've now forgotten whatever pennies I spent on the tool.

For tips, the Wood Whisperer has a guide to adjusting parallelogram jointers. Scott Morton's video was more helpful to me since he uses a dovetail jointer like I do and he goes through the whole tuning process of that type of jointer. Also, you can easily reverse the dial indicator's direction by loosening the set screw, turning it and resetting the set screw. This allows you to easily check measurements from either the infeed or outfeed sides.

Whether you spent $400 (like me) or $4000 on a jointer, this tool is hands down the one you need to get it into tight specification. You can monkey around with straight edges and feeler gauges to get close, but if you want exact, this will get you there more quickly and with better accuracy. It may seem silly to spend the money on a precision tool for a "cheap" jointer, but with the results you can achieve, it adds value to your jointer investment like nothing else out there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5