Profile for Derrick Johnson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 184

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Derrick Johnson RSS Feed (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Canvas
Canvas
Price: $13.99
47 used & new from $6.31

5.0 out of 5 stars A Steller Production, December 15, 2007
This review is from: Canvas (Audio CD)
Having enjoyed In My Element so much, I wanted to see if Mr. Glasper's previous joints were as enchanting as his current release.I need NOT have worried. 'Canvas' is an exquisite release from a young man that is self assured and knows where he is going. Some have liken this release, to being somewhat Herbie Hancockish, and not being familiar with Mr. Hancock work (although I'd appreciate some suggestions on how I could overcome my ignorance)I'd say that this is an accessible CD for anyone, like me, who is newish to Jazz, particularly the piano.
From the lively bright affair, 'Rise & Shine', the title track, which adds the tenor sax of Mark Turner to the mix, and is very melancholy in feel, to one of my favorites 'Enoch's Meditation', the early part of this CD is marvelous. Another one of my favorites is the haunting 'Chant', which has Bilal on vocals to great effect. The last joint `I Remember' samples Mr. Glasper's mother, the late Kim Yvette Glasper, on a track that plays like a tribute to her. All in all a very good CD, that makes me yearn for his first CD Mood

Stand out tracks: Chant & I Remember (very Moving)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2010 11:14 PM PDT

Van Hunt
Van Hunt
Price: $9.90
106 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars CDs like these remind me why I fell in love with Music., November 23, 2007
This review is from: Van Hunt (Audio CD)
Do you remember the first time you heard (Insert your favorite group/singer here) How you kept rewinding that particular track, you know the last song on the first side ( for all the vinyl junkies out there) how you would learn the words, line by line, and recite them. How that song (s) would stay with you throughout the days, weeks to come. Well I do. But of late these moments have been few & far between. Maybe it's my age. Or the product being released nowadays. Who knows? The thing is I'm a simple man who LOVES his music. This CD reminds me why I do. I'm at working and I vibing to 'Who Will Love Me in winter' and contemplating the deep lyrics to this great song. I'm at the gym listening to ' Down Here in Hell (With You)' and loving the music, and, again smiling at the deepness of his lyrical content. Just know I was explaining to my wife the deepness to my favorite tracks. Yes I can hear Sly Stone, Jimi Hendrix, and others in these songs, but unlike a lot of artists that wear the love of these artists on their sleeves, and copy verbatim, it's the deepness of his lyrics, and how they expand upon the love relationships we have that set him apart. the tracks that I 'm feeling, hard are :'Who Will Love Me In Winter'(my favorite that I can play on constant repeat) ' Out Of The Sky' ( which I think deals with fame, again some deep retrospect lyrics)'Anything (To Get Your Attention)' ( the first song that I fell in love with),'Down Here In Hell (With You) ( again deep lyrics, dealing with imperfection in relationships), 'Highlights' ( I love the an allergy with an ex-girlfriend, and a aspiring movie star) and Hello,Goodbye . Brother Kayode thanks for the heads up regarding this. Respect due, bro :)
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2008 6:07 PM PDT

Stellar Fungk: The Best of Slave
Stellar Fungk: The Best of Slave
Price: $12.19
45 used & new from $3.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Upper Persuasion for the Lower Invasion, November 15, 2007
I discovered Slave in the early 90's after devouring Steve Arrington's Steve Arrington's Hall of Fame, Vol. 1 and his now hard to get Steve Arrington Hall Of Fame, positive power. I have to confess that being a total nut for all things Stevie, the cuts that stand out for me have him to the fore. Songs like' Snap Shot (with it's stop/start bass, electric, it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up) Wait for me (with it's lovely string arrangement) the classic over sampled 'Touch of Love', (which also features the vocal talents of, what would later be known as Aurra (& much later Deja).But there are other toons where Steve shares the funk:' Stone Jam, (even through Steve, brings it on that tune). I defy you not to like 'Watching You', which was inspired by the band checking out the ladies in Central Park. This CD also features moments from the fore mentioned Steve Arrington's Hall of Fame, Vol. 1 , 'Nobody Can Be You', 'Weak At The Knees', and the classic ' Way Out'. All in all this is a great place to get into Slave, and especially the man known as Steve Arrington. I would also recommend:Stone Jam as an ideal starting point for other Slave CDs.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2008 5:56 AM PST

Straight Up Sewaside
Straight Up Sewaside
Offered by imagine-this
Price: $19.99
59 used & new from $0.35

4.0 out of 5 stars A Straight Up Classic, November 15, 2007
This review is from: Straight Up Sewaside (Audio CD)
To me this Cd represents every thing great Hip hop should be about. Two hungry MCs that weren't about the bling, or having 20 million guests, or fakin' the funk, but had great chemistry and whose word play was of the first order. Also this CD kicks up their previous release Dead Serious. For one I couldn't stand that Wigedy, Wigedy nonsense, which, due to every one & their dog biting their style, they dropped. Also mad props should go to Solid Scheme for their great underground grimy production. When I listen to this I remember why I feel in love with Hip Hop in the first place.
My top toons on here are: The Glorious 'Freakit', 'Baknaffek','its Lik Dat', 'Host Wit Da Most (Rappaz Remix),'Check It Out' and 'Undaground Rappa'. RUFF!

Livin' the Luxury Brown
Livin' the Luxury Brown
Price: $17.59
28 used & new from $2.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Life after the Majors, November 15, 2007
This review is from: Livin' the Luxury Brown (Audio CD)
After purchasing 20th Century Masters - Millennium Collection, I decided that I wanted to continue to explore this band, and where better to start than with their last studio release from 2005.The first thoughts that come to mind listening to this CD is that it's wonderful to hear real organic instruments on a release, and one that is willing to use unconventional instruments at that ( I like the use of Steel pans on 'My Sista, and 'Look Whachu Done 2 Me') Of the songs themselves apart from the fore mentioned songs above, I also liked'Whoaa', 'Luxury Brown' 'I'm Ready' and 'We Got Us', I think that 18 songs deep, this CD comes in too top heavy and could have been reduced to say 12 tracks. Also for a group known for their quiet storm moments, the one on offer here' Love Your Tears' doesn't meet the mark, and I wasn't feeling the rock offerings ' Doormat' & 'One Wish' left me cold. The freedom of not being with a major allows the group to pursue their Rock cravings.All in all, a decent release, which with some tighten of the screws, could have been better.

It Won't Be Soon Before Long
It Won't Be Soon Before Long
Price: $5.00
189 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Some sublime moments, November 15, 2007
I had no preconceptions coming into this CD. Whilst I liked moments from there precious CD Songs About Jane, and that CD grew on me, in time, I waited quite awhile to pick up this CD. But pick it up I did, and, to my ears, it's a mixed bag. The sublime moments mentioned in my title would include 'Makes Me Wonder' (which I think was the first single) and is a perfect mix of funk & Rock, 'If I Never See Your Face Again, 'Wake up Call' & 'Can't stop'. Seeing that funk resonates more with me than straight out Rock/pop, so the rest of this CD doesn't move me as much. For these songs listed I'd give this 3 stars.

Come Together As One
Come Together As One
Offered by SourceMedia
Price: $4.67
37 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart break Hotel!, November 13, 2007
This review is from: Come Together As One (Audio CD)
I have had this on album for ages (or more accurately my sister did, and I inherited it LOL) Firstly I would agree with the reviewer that the up tempo dance cuts don't really cut the mustard. But it's easy to see why Will was pursuing that route. His first CD/LP Will Downing was more of a dance oriented number, being that it was mostly produced by Arthur Baker. I think this CD was a turning point for Mr. Downing, as from this point on, the slower more quiet storm moments would take president in future cuts.
This CD also holds a special place within my heart, as one song in particular helped me deal with a broken heart. 'Too Soon' is the name of that song, and every time I hear it brings back that time, which, with the passing of time, I look back on with fond memories.
`Sometimes I Cry', `Love Call', `The Love We share', the afore mentioned 'Too Soon' 'I'll wait' ( with great poignant lyrics), and a great, great cover of 'Wishing on a star', are the songs that make this my favorite Will Downing CD.

Wines & Spirits
Wines & Spirits
Price: $14.99
42 used & new from $2.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Time brings it's own rewards, November 10, 2007
This review is from: Wines & Spirits (Audio CD)
Now this is what I'm talking about. An Artist that's willing to take risks and not go with the road well traveled. Isn't it ironic that to do this Mr. Patterson had to step out of the major league area, and go the independent route. My advice, as many have stated in their reviews, is to give this CD some time. I can now listen to this Cd and be moved by an artist at ease with himself. 3 years in the making, this CD is well worth the wait. My favorites are: 'Cloud 9','Delirium (Comes And Goes)'Feels Good', 'No Danger', 'Water', 'Stop Breaking My Heart',Deliver Me, and 'Time', which I have this discovered. And that's the thing; repeated listening really does bring its own rewards. An artist at ease with himself, and his craft.

Soulsinger
Soulsinger
9 used & new from $11.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Re-release is needed., November 10, 2007
This review is from: Soulsinger (Audio CD)
Now I have just finished my reviewing Ms Ledisi's major debut:Lost and Found, which, whilst being a nice safe release, is nothing like this. Now this is a album, and I can well understand why this is an in demand CD. I like the live feel to this CD, and the excellent choice of songs on offer: from the excellent 'Get Outta My Kitchen' 'Coffee', and the controversial 'Papa Love to Love me'
I think what this CD has that her: Lost and Found CD lacks is, apart from edgier songs selection, is a jazz influence that runs through this CD. It's sad that with an independence like this, the freedom that an artist has is lost when dealing with the majors. As Ms Ledisi owns the master for this I do hope it sees a re-lease on her new label, because the masses need to hear this.

Lost & Found
Lost & Found
Price: $5.00
82 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A Good Safe major League Debut, November 10, 2007
This review is from: Lost & Found (Audio CD)
First off, respect where respect is. The music man, otherwise known as Kayode hyped me to this, so much props to you Bro. As most know Ledisi has been in the game for a minute with two previous Cds Soul Singer and the lavish entitled: Feeling Orange But Sometimes Blue: The Jazz Singer Limited Edition] ]
I think this is a good safe major league debut. That whilst it isn't gonna hit the ball out of the park, hopefully will, with decent sales, allow her develop her craft on her next project.
The first thing that hits you is here is a lady that can sing. I mean really sing, and doesn't over sing to prove the point (often less is more, as some singers could/should learn) But what also comes over in many of the songs on offer is a sameness. Songs like' You & Me' 'Joy' 'Best friend' 'Today' & 'Get to Know You', whilst decent songs in themselves, have been done before and offer us nothing new.
There are some good moments on here 'I tried' is a lively number that works well and is among my favorites on this joint, as is 'Someday'. I also love.
At the moment I'm in the process of listening to her Soul Singer CD that my Brother lend me. Now this sounds more of the kind of thing that could have set her apart from her comptempories. Hopfully this will get a re-release because the world needs to hear this.

On reflection( thanks Oshun) I think 2 stars is a little mean, so I'd give this 3 instead (If Amazon would let me change it!)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2008 4:12 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19