Profile for J. G. Malta > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. G. Malta "jgeoff.com" RSS Feed (Toms River, NJ USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
New! Ac Power Adapter for Dell Inspiron 5000e / 5100 / 7500 / 8000 / 8100 Pa-...
Offered by SavingsZone
Price: $9.46
3 used & new from $9.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, January 30, 2011
The original Dell AC adapter was shorting out and burned hot, but this replacement fit the bill. It's been months, and I haven't had an issue yet. For the price, don't hesitate if you need it.

The Godfather Wacky Wobbler
The Godfather Wacky Wobbler

3.0 out of 5 stars Wacky, indeed, January 30, 2011
This review is from: The Godfather Wacky Wobbler (Toy)
Of course every Godfather fan should have this, but do yourself a favor and do not pull the tab to activate the battery. This thing will repeat the same phrase over and over with the slightest vibration until it drives you batty! I had it atop my DVD player, and it wouldn't stop whenever a DVD was playing. Thankfully I was able to reinsert the plug to disconnect the battery.

Backstage Secrets: On The Road With The Rock Band Rush
Backstage Secrets: On The Road With The Rock Band Rush
DVD ~ Rush
Offered by Longtail Distribution Network
Price: $22.45
6 used & new from $18.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow...!, January 30, 2011
I wasn't expecting much, but this DVD set blew me away. Everything you ever wanted to know (and more) about what's entailed in putting together a major show. Sound, lighting, instrument techs, video, tour buses,... how they do it all day in and day out is simply amazing. I'm a Rush fan, but you don't need to be to enjoy this 4+ hour gem.

The Godfather Family Album
The Godfather Family Album
by Paul Duncan
26 used & new from $47.76

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a beautiful photo album..., January 22, 2011
THE GODFATHER FAMILY ALBUM is a must-have for Godfather fans. Weighing in at around 6.5 lbs and measuring 10"x15" the hardcover ALBUM is crammed full of 100s of photos throughout its 424 pages, covering all three films. There are photos, large and small, from the film itself as well as from Steve Schapiro's behind-the-scenes collection. Many you've seen before, and many you likely haven't, all with captions and various quotes from the movies and cast/crew mixed in. This is not merely a picture book, however. Also included are excerpts from:

The Making of The Godfather (from Mario Puzo's The Godfather Papers & Other Confessions, 1972)
Interview with Marlon Brando (Life, 1972)
"Al Pacino: An Actor Who Believes in Taking Chances" (Show, 1971)
"The Making of The Godfather--Sort of a Home Movie" (NYT, 1971)
Retrospective Interviews by Peter Biskind (Premiere, 1997)
Coppola and The Godfather (Sight and Sound, 1972)
Interview With Al Pacino (Playboy, 1979)
Interview with Francis Ford Coppola (Newsweek, 1974)
Interview with Francis Ford Coppola (Playboy, 1975)
Interview with Francis Ford Coppola (NYT, 1974)
"Godfather III" (Life, 1990)

The Godfather the game - Xbox (Collector's)
The Godfather the game - Xbox (Collector's)
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $19.94
45 used & new from $1.70

= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was one of 10 people from around the world (one flew in from Naples!) invited to Electronic Arts in San Francisco to preview the game, meet and talk with the game developers, and take a tour of EA's main campus.

I'm not much of gamer in general. The last console I owned was a Sega, ok? So, I nervously (yet also curiously) sat down with this game to give it a shot.

Wow. First off, the graphics were great! (Personally, I think the X-BOX version looked a little better than the PS2 version, but both were really nice. However, the PC version of course blew them both away). There was no "official confirmation" -- nor denial -- of a 360 version in the works, but I have a feeling they're working on that for a later release. Incidentally, they're also going to release a special edition which will include a DVD with special features (making-of) for the console versions.

Anyway, back to the game itself: I played mostly on the PS2 version, and have always had trouble with all those buttons. That's just me, of course. But I tell you, I had fewer problems with this game than most others I've tried -- the "Black Hand" controls were quite intuitive for once, and it never felt like I had to fumble around to find the right button.

What's unique -- and wonderful!! -- about this game is that you are NOT Vito or Michael or Sonny or anyone like that, but you are you -- your own character (that you can even create to look however you want to the most minor detail) interacting with the characters from the movie. You start out as a lowly hood and work your way up the ranks by first strong-arming shop keepers for protection money, bribing cops, and going on specific missions set forth by Clemenza or other characters. What is REALLY cool is that you can be doing your thing and at any moment, a major scene from the movie will happen, say, outside the window!

For instance, while in a shop muscling the shopkeeper, outside I saw Don Vito get shot, and my new mission was then to kill the would-be assassins before escorting the ambulance to the hospital! And what's great is, events such as these happen pretty much chronologically, and pretty true to the story -- the movie and surprisingly also the book itself.

One of my favorite features was walking down the street, and hearing passers-by having conversations! Very much like real life.

The idea of the game, of course, is to move up in rank in the Corleone family by earning money and respect. As you progress, you'll be taking control of neighborhoods and the compounds themselves of the Barzini's, Tattaglia's, Stracci's and Cuneo's (the other 4 of the 5 Families). Your ultimate goal is to be The Don of NY/NJ controlling everything.

Some of Marlon Brando's dialogue was used I was told, but they got a terrific voice actor to record bits they needed afterwards. Of course, Caan, Duvall, and Vigoda lent their voices as well, and I was told that they had a terrific time doing it! (We saw some footage of them, which will be on the bonus DVD of the special edition).

All in all, I was VERY impressed with this effort from EA! And even tho I'm not much of a gamer, this is definitely one that I will spend some time with!

The Godfather: The Game

Offered by GameSeek
Price: $21.64
28 used & new from $2.98

I think all Godfather fans (not just gamers) will love to check this out!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2006 11:53 AM PST

Messages from The Godfather
Messages from The Godfather
by Michael & Tony Moiso

4.0 out of 5 stars Proverbs with a twist, November 16, 2005
This little gem contains 60 pertinent messages/proverbs for life ("Blood is thicker than water", "To succeed in business, you must run a tight ship"). What sets this apart is that we're learning these messages from the film classic THE GODFATHER.

The authors succinctly and accurately present and interpret sixty scenes from the movie (for instance, after Don Vito is shot, Michael tells the others that he is willing to kill Sollozzo and McCluskey); they provide a short interpretation (the Corleone's can eliminate two enemies at once); we learn the message ("You must take the shot when the target is in sight"); and, we're treated to an appropriate Italian proverb, also translated into English ("To catch two pigeons with one bean").

While we have heard most of these proverbs before, the GODFATHER connection gives them a whole new perspective. An appropriate stocking stuffer for any fan of Coppola's classic!

From the Introduction: "Not everyone will agree with the interpretations, but that is half the fun. Debating the message, both literally and figuratively, is just as enjoyable as watching the film. What is intended here is a reference book that captures everyone's favorite moment in the film. And perhaps even make you think about why that scene, or message, holds special meaning to you."
Comment Comment | Permalink