Profile for Rebecca S. Mullen > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rebecca S. Mullen RSS Feed (Colorado)

The Golden Whistle: Going Beyond: The Journey to Coaching Success
The Golden Whistle: Going Beyond: The Journey to Coaching Success
by Jim Burson
Price: $13.49
33 used & new from $11.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Basketball mom says "winning coaching", March 27, 2014
It is clear that Jim Burson knows a great deal about basketball and about motivating people. My son played high school basketball while I read this book and the book helped me to be a more understanding parent. I think I gained empathy for the complex plight of a coach as well as players, and I certainly saw myself in some of the mothers the author describes throughout the story. It helped me to realize that every coach is on a journey of their own and that, while I may want them to be perfectly together for my son, we all are learning as we go. The Golden Whistle made me want to be a better mother, not just a better basketball mom. For me, that felt like winning coaching.

The Writer's Digest Guide To Query Letters
The Writer's Digest Guide To Query Letters
by Wendy Burt-Thomas
Price: $12.63
117 used & new from $3.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughter and M&M's, December 7, 2009
How often have you laughed while preparing to send a query letter to an editor? For me the process is typically full of nail biting and M&M bribes with myself. That is why Guide to Query Letters by Wendy Burt-Thomas is my new favorite friend.
She tells me jokes while I unravel the mystery of preparing to expose my naked self to everyone who might....reject me. I don't like rejection, but Wendy makes it normal, part of the process and, best of all, something to laugh about.
I giggled my way through the pumpkin patch with her kids, helping me connect mother to mother with her. I chortled at mistakes other writers had made that I would never make. I humbly, took a look at myself in the mirror as I saw myself in letters I've mailed off.
But I kept laughing. And that is the reason I keep returning to "My Guide" as I now call it. She offers dozens of exact forms so I know just how to tackle the query I'm writing now. Is this the one where I should insert text from my copy? How do I offer a compliment without sounding like I'm kissing up?
I simply look it up, laugh a bit, and send off another query.
Guide to Query Letters is my new favorite writing manual.