Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for L. Meadows > Reviews

Browse

L. Meadows' Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

L. Meadows RSS Feed (Maine, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
AmazonBasics 4.0 Amp Dual USB Car Charger for Apple and Android Devices (High Output)
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It was great for charging my kindle while we traveled so it ..., August 4, 2015
I bought this to take on a road trip in Alaska. I knew we would be driving long hours frequently. It was great for charging my kindle while we traveled so it would be fully charged when I wanted it. It charged very quickly even when we had two kindles plugged in together. I even loaned it to my daughter to charge her phone and it was really fast. My son in law plugged his iPad into it and played while we're driving too. It was an excellent tool. I would recommend it to anyone, no matter what their device is.

The Long Way Home: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (A Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery Book 10)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling captivating brilliant, June 12, 2015
Once again Louise Penny has written a top notch novel. Her characters are complete and fully human, her plots complex and thought provoking. To read her books is to enter into another realm. This series continues to grow and evolve. Her characters are my friends, Three Pines, my home. If you love to crawl into a book and live there for awhile, this series is a must read. However,it is imperative that you start at the beginning and read each one in order to get the full enjoyment. The first in the series is Still Life.

Blunt Darts (The John Cuddy Mysteries)
Blunt Darts (The John Cuddy Mysteries)
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast Moving and Enjoyable, January 9, 2015
I enjoyed this book very much. The writing was smooth and quick, flowing well. I read the book in 2 sittings. It was fast paced and interesting. The people were real and the setting authentic. I've been to Boston and I recognized several locations. The lead character, John Cuddy was a great tough (but not unbelievable tough) P.I. I liked him, and will read the other books in this series. The book seemed like it might be somewhat predictable, but wasn't at all. I didn't guess the ending until I got there. However, that was also the weakest spot. Once the mystery was solved, the book ended very abruptly. I felt like I had just been dropped. period.

Shadows on a Maine Christmas (Antique Print Mystery Series Book 7)
Shadows on a Maine Christmas (Antique Print Mystery Series Book 7)
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I have loved this series from the beginning, January 5, 2015
I have loved this series from the beginning. It's definitely a cozy mystery, so if you want to spend a quiet evening relaxing by the fire this is the book for you. Reading this book I felt like I was visiting with old friends. The characters are that real. So is the setting. I live in Maine and Ms. Wait's description of traditional Christmastime here is spot on, from the weather to the community closeness. The actual weather this year did not live up to it's reputation, but spending Christmas inside this book placed me right there in the snow. (Spoiler alert) I would have given it 5 stars but the very end was a little more magic romance than I can take.

Running Blind (Jack Reacher, Book 4)
Running Blind (Jack Reacher, Book 4)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack Reacher at his best, June 14, 2014
I'm reading this series in order so I have many left to read but this one is the best I've read. I did figure out who did it and why, but not for a long time and then I wasn't sure until the end. I love the tension between Reacher and the FBI, and how he outfoxes them at every turn. The plotting was tight and the action fast. I could hardly put it down when I had to. One of the things I like about this series is that, at least so far, each book is different. Jack is the same guy but he has many different experiences. They aren't just rubber stamp plots with a few cosmetic changes. This one was the perfect cross between a mystery novel and an action adventure.

Real Sudoku
Real Sudoku
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars super fun, May 29, 2014
This review is from: Real Sudoku (App)
I love this game. I have been a sudoku fan for years. I am thrilled to be able to play on my kindle. I particularly love that I can put several possible numbers in each box and remove them easily. It saves me a lot of paper too.

Murder on Astor Place (Gaslight Mystery Book 1)
Murder on Astor Place (Gaslight Mystery Book 1)
Price: $7.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, May 27, 2014
I loved the setting. I have long enjoyed the British Victorian series and am glad to finally have one in America. Sarah Brandt, the chief character, is a strong believable female heroine. I thought it was a good depiction of American Society of the time and the beginning of women's breaking with traditional rolls. However this blended beautifully with the story itself and was not at all a distraction from the mystery. I could tell the bad guys from the good guys fairly early on, but the murderer eluded me until the twist at the end was revealed. I read this book in a day and enjoyed every minute of it. People who like Ann Perry and Robin Paige will surely enjoy this series as well.

Tripwire (Jack Reacher, Book 3)
Tripwire (Jack Reacher, Book 3)
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a Trip, March 19, 2014
This is typical Jack Reacher, full of action, not a dull moment! It was good to get a little more background on Jack. The slightly high school angst moments between him and Jodie were the only downside. The twist toward the end was a huge surprise. I didn't guess it until right before it was revealed. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Just One Evil Act: A Lynley Novel (Inspector Lynley)
Just One Evil Act: A Lynley Novel (Inspector Lynley)
by Elizabeth George
Price: $19.33
293 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars mission accomplished?, January 9, 2014
(Spoiler alert!) First, I understand all the poor reviews. The real reason I think many people did not like this book was because it put Barbara a far more negative light than her fans want to see. Neither did we like to see Azhar as a villain. The Italian was a little annoying, only because it wasn't explained quite well enough in the context. It took me too long to figure out sometimes. I didn't want to lose my focus totally by going to a dictionary. On the other hand, the use of the Italian lent credibility to the setting and emphasized the communication issues necessary to the plot, which I thought was excellent. The story was thoroughly engaging and kept my attention right up to the climax. The one question I have, though, is why does Isabelle Ardery spare Barbara the axe? This is a character who needs more explaining. Thank God she is no longer involved with Lynley, but now we need to suss her out. Does she really have a heart for Barbara for some reason, or was she just protecting her own position at the Met? I also missed Winston - he was barely here. Finally, I think Inspector Lo Bianco needs his own series. I liked him very much.

Beneath the Abbey Wall (Joanne Ross)
Beneath the Abbey Wall (Joanne Ross)
by A. D. Scott
Price: $12.89
120 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointing and unsatisfying, January 20, 2013
I read the first two books in this series and liked them very much. The third, however defies belief. It's 1950s rural Scotland. We are in a small town with very strict morals and a nose in everyone's business. The author emphasizes that any woman who even gives the impression of breaking the draconian sexual mores will be immediately and publicly shamed. Yet, at least four women in the story seriously breach the laws of proper behavior and nobody says a word; even their close friends, who are not inclined to warn them that they may be on the verge of discovery. A prominent single man and a married woman have supposedly been having an affair for years, and no one knows about it, even though they work together in the same office and openly and regularly spend every Sunday evening together. Never in the first two books was this situation mentioned. It's ludicrous. Joanne,thirty-something battered wife, who finds the courage to leave her husband in the first book and make her own way in the world, turns into a simpering teenager without a brain because a good looking stranger shows up in town. She has an affair with him, known by everyone in her office, including the mistress of her estranged husband, but he never finds out. And we are still being reminded that this is a small town and everyone knows what everyone is doing. Additionally, there were places in the book in which the story was moving right along and the author would stop to give a lengthy description that did not fit the moment. It was as if the writer said, " Let's create suspense by writing about nothing for a few paragraphs". It was obviously artificial and completely stopped the action of the story. I found it very annoying. The police, of course, were satisfied to blame an innocent man for the murder and stop investigating, because they didn't want to step on the wrong toes. This is a gimmick we all accept in crime fiction. But for the journalists to do such a sloppy, incomplete job of searching for the truth is inexcusable. It seemed more important for the author to emphasize everyone's slavery to their raging hormones than to produce a well thought out plot for the solving of a mystery. Then to top it all off I found the ending to be very disappointing. All in all, it was a very unsatisfying reading experience.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2013 4:43 AM PDT