Profile for Joey Morgan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 103

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joey Morgan "Unabashed book junkie" RSS Feed (Royal Manticoran Navy Third Fleet)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
A Call to Duty (Manticore Ascendant series Book 1)
A Call to Duty (Manticore Ascendant series Book 1)
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Weber and Zahn are good separately. Together they are awesome., October 9, 2014
A great story for those who are already in love with the "Honorverse" and a good tale for those who just want to read something entertaining in military science fiction. Reminded me of Heinlein's best, like Glory Road or Starship Troopers.

Jesus
Jesus
DVD
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings the story to life for the modern viewer, June 3, 2014
This review is from: Jesus (Amazon Instant Video)
I have seen a lot of poor reviews, mostly from the "if the King James version was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me" school of literalists. Look, we do NOT have all the facts, and the stories we have contradict each other anyway. This movie captures the SPIRIT of the ministry of Jesus, while portraying Him as a divine being who nonetheless started his life and lived the first thirty years mostly as a regular guy working with his carpenter dad, hanging with his friends and experiencing mortal life before embarking on his true mission. Jeremy Sisto gives a fine performance that balances inner grace with approachability. This is my favorite telling of the story.
The one part I found both jarring and yet, ultimately, quite effective was the journey into the desert and the temptations. I won't spoil it with specifics, but it took an unanticipated and powerful approach to the telling of that part of the New testament story.
Definitely worth watching unless you are looking for a word-for-word dramatization of the KJV.

Oracle SQL: A Beginner's Tutorial
Oracle SQL: A Beginner's Tutorial
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many important basics left out, May 22, 2014
For three bucks I figured what the heck? But I couldn't find the most basic information I needed--how to write a stored procedure. You can't call it a complete beginner's tutorial without that core skill included. I found the writing poorly organized and the examples too confusing to be of use.

The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor
The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This book will make you angry, sad, proud and confused, May 22, 2014
I am reading this book from the rare perspective of having a close friend who served in the actions described in part of this book. So I have heard his first-hand accounts and personal knowledge of some of the individuals whose stories are told here. The well-footnoted and powerfully narrated story of how our under-strength, poorly supplied soldiers endured the events told in this book will make your Memorial Day more than a day off from work. Our nation did a gross disservice to the men and women who gave their time, energy, blood and in too many cases their limbs and lives to serve their country. We owe them better. At the least, we should read this story so we can make sure we elect people who will not do this again.

Tales of Honor #1
Tales of Honor #1

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT the Honor Harrington you know, but not half bad., May 22, 2014
This review is from: Tales of Honor #1 (Kindle Edition)
I expected based on early previews to hate this series of comics. I am a hard-core Honor Harrington fan--I am on my fifth or sixth re-reading of the series and an active (some might say overly so) member of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association. I have a very clear idea of her and her universe. I knew the artwork was going to take some liberties, and with that and the limitations/possibilities of the graphic format, I found I didn't hate them after all. I can't say I love them, because they haven't gotten some important details right in issue two, but if you are a fan they are probably worth collecting just to complete your set.
If you haven' read the books, though, do not judge them, David Weber's writing, or the "Honorverse" as a whole by these comics. You will miss out on some extraordinary writing and galaxy-building stuff. Read the books (the first is free for Kindle) and then enjoy the comics for what they are.

Facing the Giants: novelization by Eric Wilson
Facing the Giants: novelization by Eric Wilson
Offered by HarperCollins Christian Publishing
Price: $5.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely faithful to the movie, May 22, 2014
Facing the Giants is the movie I watch whenever I need to be reminded that nothing is impossible with God, or to celebrate when He shows me in my own life how true this is. I love all of the Kendricks' movies, but this is my favorite. (I buy copies to give to friends and family whenever I see them.)
The novelization is very true to the movie in both plot and dialogue, but with a nice bit of added insight into some of the characters' back-stories. I expect that I will re-read it as often as I watch the movie, for the same reasons. I have also purchased the Flywheel novelization and hope it is equally true to the movie.
If you haven't seen the movie, you can start with the book, but I found that having the actors' faces and voices in my head added to my enjoyment of the book. Either way, this is a powerful, uplifting tale of God's extravagant love and awesome might.

XBOOM Ceramic Mini Portable Capsule Speaker with Rechargeable Battery, Enhanced Bass+ and Ceramic Resonator - Black
Offered by E Depot Express
Price: $24.95
6 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I need for my apartment living room, January 14, 2014
Courtesy to my neighbors means big speakers on a stereo wouldn't get much use. I use this to play music or Audible titles from my android phone while I work out on the Wii fit. It has plenty of sound without being rude to the neighbors, and I love that the battery is rechargeable. I go through enough AA and AAA batteries with my wireless keyboards, mice and remotes!

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Ink Blue (does not fit Kindle or Kindle Touch)
Price: $31.99
9 used & new from $28.11

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect fit., January 14, 2014
This case is sturdy, slim, and fits very well. Best of all, closing it puts the Kindle to sleep and opening it wakes it up. I got one in blue and got my wife one in pink for our "his and hers" Paperwhites. It doesn't use any sort of strap to stay closed. I think there is a magnetic catch of some kind, but it doesn't flop open, and it is hard and protective. A good value for the money.

15 used & new from $139.89

5.0 out of 5 stars My latest in a long line of Kindles, January 14, 2014
I was an early adopter, and have had the original Kindle, the DX, the Kindle 2nd Gen Keyboard, the original Fire, and now this. For reading books it is the best of the lot, though I was dismayed to find it doesn't support PDFs or Audio books as the Kindle Keyboard does. Still, the quality and edge lighting mean I can read whenever and wherever I want, in any light, and it goes days and days between charges. (Wi-Fi on. I didn't spring for the 3G this time around.)

The Lost Battalion
The Lost Battalion
DVD ~ Ricky Schroder
Price: $7.99
40 used & new from $3.90

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a well-made movie that focuses on the human faces of war, January 14, 2014
This review is from: The Lost Battalion (DVD)
Based on a true story, this movie tells the tale of one battalion that reached its objective and followed their orders to hold at all costs, even though they didn't know that the other units around them had failed and fallen back. Surrounded and decimated, out of contact with their command, starving and scared, these men did their duty even when, as with the commander, they didn't agree with the U.S. being involved in the War. A moving story, and proof that Rick Schroeder isn't little Ricky from Silver Spoons any more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11