Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for OrangeCrush > Reviews

Browse

OrangeCrush's Profile

Customer Reviews: 544

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

OrangeCrush "Still shooting with Film!" RSS Feed (Farmington Hills, MI USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Archival Comic Book Tape - Clear Double-Sided Acid-Free Tape Roll - 1/4" x 36-Yards
Price: $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Choice for Archival Tape, With One Exception...., April 26, 2016
Its honestly pretty shocking how many people wind up using archival bags and boards for thier comics, like Gerber's Mylites and Half-Back/Full-Back boards, and then wind up using regular non archival tape, like Scotch tape, to actually seal the bags. I will never understand why people feel its ok to use non archival tape with archival bags and boards. If you truly want archival storage, you have to use archival for everything, including the tape and Gerber's Archival Comic Book Tape is definitely one of the better options out there, but as the title of my review states, there is one exception. That exception is people who plan to open and close the bag on a continual basis.

This tape is really designed for the permanent sealing of Mylites 2s and Mylites 4s comic bags. You can get away with opening and resealing the bag once, maybe twice, but if you try more than that your going to run into issues. The tape itself will start to tear and you will wind up with part of the tape on the flap and part of it on the bag. Again, this tape is really meant for the permanent sealing of comics inside Gerber's Mylar bags. If your bagging and boarding a comic that you would like to have access to time and time again, then you really want to go with a different tape. If your sealing a comic/magazine/map, etc. that you do not plan on reopening...well, this is one of the best archival tape options on the market.

Its important to note that you should never use chemicals with Mylites bags. One of the reviews for this tape stated that he had to use "Goo-Gone" to remove adhsive from the bag. You should NEVER do this, at least not if you want your bag to remain archival and safe for storing your comics in. If you want to get rid of adhesive, simply apply a piece of quality single sided tape (I find scotch shipping tape to be one of the best options) to the area that has ahesive and use something hard, like the back end of a pair of scissors, to press down on the tape firmly. Again, using the back end of scirrors in a back and forth motion over the tape works perfectly. Then pull the tape off. You might have to do this a couple of times to get all of the adhesive off, but this method will get the adhesive off without the use of chemicals. Again, one should never use chemicals on anything archivally rated. The minute you do the item is no longer archival. Honestly, your better off just throwing the bag away at that point and using a new one.

Its also important no note that acid free and archival are NOT the same thing. Not even close in most cases. So be wary of products that say acid free, but are not archivally rated. I learned this the hard way back in art school. I used acid free matt board my first couple of years in school as it was much cheaper than archival matt board. A few years after I graduated I reorganized all of the artwork I did when I was back in school and all of the prints I had matted in acid free matt board had turned yellow and were extremely brittle. On one print, the corner literally broke off it was so brittle. So make no mistake about it, acid free and archival are NOT the same thing. If you want to learn more on this topic, just look up the national standards (ANSI) for archival and the difference between acid free and archival. There is plenty of information out there on the topic.

Bottom line - If your already using Mylar bags and archival boards for your comics then your already spending roughly 3-5 times what people who use Poly bags and non archival boards are spending. Why skimp out on the very last step of the storage process and use non archival tape? Personally, I recommend sticking with Gerber and using Gerber's Archival Comic Book Tape, at least if your planning on permanently sealing your comics in the bag. If its a comic you plan on opening up and reading time and time again, I definitely recommend using a different tape.

Full-Back Magazine 42-Mil Thick Backing Boards 8 5/8" x 11 1/2" - FULL CASE of 250

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Highest Quality Comic Boards on the Market!, April 26, 2016
I have been collecting comics for over 30 years now and have tried pretty much every brand of bags and boards on the market at one point or another. That being said, I am pretty late to the game when it comes to Gerber's bags and boards. None of my local comics shops carried Gerber so I really didn't even know they existed. That all changed when I won an eBay auction a couple years back for some old silver age Wonder Woman comics. The seller had them stored in Mylites 2's with Full Back boards. I was absolutely blown away at the overall quality and have been exclusively using Gerber's Mylites 2's & 4's and Half-Back/Full-Back boards ever since.

Full-Back boards are twice as thick as Half-Back boards and Half-Back boards are similar in thickness to the average comics boards you see out there from other companies like BCW. So Full-Back boards are roughly twice as thick as your average comic board and as such they provide significantly more stability and protection. Personally, I use Mylites 2's with Half Back Boards for my regular comics and Mylites 4's with Full Back Boards for my more valuable comics. Both Half Back boards and Full Back boards are both made from genuine acid-free, cellular fiber and meet the strict U.S. government standards for archival storage. They are also buffered with 3% calcium carbonate which helps the boards maintains a neutral pH even when the comics are in contact with the board. These are literlly the highest quality comic boards on the market. The only downside to Gerber's bags and boards is that they do cost more than polybags and regular comics boards, but this is a case of getting what you pay for. The extra cost is well worth it.

Bottom line - if you want the highest quality comic boards on the market then look no further. Gerber uses the same strict archival rating as the US Government and the National Archives. There is literally no better method of protecting and storing your comics on the market. And while the additional cost may get you to think twice about using them, just remember that if you use poly bags with cheaper boards, you will wind up having to replace them someday, likely multiple times if you don't want any degradation to occur with your comics. Depending on the quality of the bags and boards and the conditions you store them in (temperature, humidity, etc), you can start seeing yellowing in as little as 5 years. When I wound up replacing all of my poly-bags with Gerber's Mylites and Half-Back/Full-Back boards, a lot of my older poly-bags looked absolutely terrible. It was pretty shocking how much yellowing had occured. Again, I now use Gerber's Mylites bags and Half-Back/Full-Back boards exclusively so my days of worrying about the storage of my comics has come and gone. And therein lies one of the best aspects to using Gerber, you bag and board your comic once and never have to worry about it again. At least for me, that makes them well worth the extra cost.

5 Stars!

Full-Backs Large Comics, Magazines & Letters 42-Mil Backing Boards 8-1/4"" x 10-1/2"
Price: $24.95
3 used & new from $24.83

5.0 out of 5 stars WIthout Question the Highest Quality Bags and Boards on the Market!, April 26, 2016
I am a bit late to the game when it comes to Gerber's Mylites bags and Halfback/Fullback boards. I have been collecting comics for roughly 30+ years and never really gave bags and boards much thought. Dont get me wrong, I always bag and board all of my comics. The way I see it, if a comic is worth buying, then its worth protecting. I just never gave the overall quality or brand much thought, that is until I won a particular auction on eBay. The auction was for some older Wonder Woman comics and the seller had them in Mylites 2's with Fullback boards. I had never seen a Mylites bag before and was absolutely blown away when I recieved those comics.

The main difference between regular comic bags and Mylites lies in the materials they are made with. Most of the comic bags on the market are made of Polypropylene or Polyethylene. Mylites are made of Mylar. Its not that Poly bags are necessarily bad, its just that Mylar is vastly superior in terms of protecting your comics. Here is some information on Mylar, taken directly from Gerber's website:

"How does Mylar, which is biaxially extruded polyester film, afford more protection? The poly-bags that most everyone sells are "blown" films, affording very low density and dimensional stability. Mylar is an extruded film that is simultaneously stretched in two directions to give it maximum strength. In fact, it resists penetration by gases, such as oxygen, 300 TIMES more than the poly-bags. As for strength and stability: it is also several hundred times stronger and more stable. Keep in mind, that we are not talking about 4 or 5 times better as compared to their price; we are talking about offering the kind of protection for 100 years which poly-bags cannot offer for even one year."

Advantages of Mylar® Type D Compared to Commonly Used Plastics:

1 - Resistance to diffusion of gases like oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Sulfur Dioxide, etc. is 350 times greater than polyethylene.

2 - Permanence. There is no noticeable change in storage after 100 years compared to 2 to 5 years for others.

3 - Resistance to moisture, fungus, mold, mildew, acid, oils, grease, and solvents is "excellent" compared to "fair" for others.

4 - Strength and creep resistance is 10 times that of polyethylene, one-third the strength of steel.

5 - Volatile Additions--Mylar® contains no dangerous plasticizers, slip additives, surface coatings, antioxidants, acid-hydrolysis compared to other commonly used plastics

So basically Mylar bags offer VASTLY superior protection for your comics than Poly-bags and while this is definitely a big selling point, its not really the main reason why I switched to using Mylites bags. What Gerber's website fails to mention is just how much better your comics look inside these bags. The Mylites bags are just CRYSTAL clear compared to Poly-bags. The visual difference is nothing short of mind blowing. Its like comparing VHS to DVD or DVD to Blu Ray, and that is not an exaggeration. Once you get used to looking at comics inside of Mylites bags, you will have a very hard time going back to Poly-bags. Its like looking at your comics through a dirty window. This, above all else, is the main reason why I switched to Mylites bags. All of the other advantages are just a bonus in my book.

There are actually 2 different kinds of Mylites bags. There are Mylites 2's and Mylites 4's. Mylites 4's are basically twice the thickness of Mylites 2's. I actually use both. I jump to Mylites 4's for my really valuable comics and use Mylites 2's for the rest. Also, if your going to use Mylites, then I highly recommend using Gerber's backing boards as well. They have 2 different kinds of backing boards, Fullbacks and Halfbacks. Halfbacks are basically half as thick as fullbacks. Beyond that, they are 100% identical. I personally use Fullback boards as I really like the extra thickness. It just provides that much more stability and protection.

Bottom line - Gerber's Mylites bags are without question the best comic bags on the market. They will cost you more money, but they are absolutely worth the extra cost. Of course, you don't have to use Mylites all the time. If cost is an issue, than you can always continue using Poly-bags and only use Mylites for your more valuable comics. In regards to cost, it helps significantly if you buy them in quantity (1000 or more) directly from Gerber. It basically will cut the cost in half. I myself use Mylites exclusively now as I have gotten so used to visual clarity that Poly-bags simply no longer cut it for me. Again, Poly-bags for me are like looking through a dirty window. Once you get used to that Mylar quality, its very hard going back. If your serious about your comics then Mylites bags are without question the way you should go. Trust me, you wont be disappointed!!

5 Stars!!

Full-Back Standard 42-Mil Comic Book Backing Boards 7" x 10-1/2" - FULL CASE of 500
Price: $163.95

5 Stars!

Full-Backs Super Gold 42-Mil Comic Book Backing Boards 7-7/8" x 10-1/2" - Pack of 50
Price: $23.95
2 used & new from $23.83

5 Stars!

E. Gerber Full-Back Silver/Golden Comic Size Acid-Free Backing Boards 7 1/2" x 10 1/2" Pack of 50
Price: $21.95
5 used & new from $7.00

5 Stars!

E. Gerber Full-Back Magazine Size Acid-Free Comic Book Backing Boards 8 5/8" x 11 1/2" Pack of 50
Price: $26.95

5 Stars!

Full-Back Silver & Gold Comic Book Backing Boards 7 1/2" x 10 1/2"
Full-Back Silver & Gold Comic Book Backing Boards 7 1/2" x 10 1/2"
Price: $19.95
2 used & new from $19.85

5 Stars!

Full-Back Magazine Backing Boards 8 5/8" x 11 1/2"
Full-Back Magazine Backing Boards 8 5/8" x 11 1/2"
Offered by Hobbies Depot Inc
Price: $35.28

5 Stars!

Full-Back Current Comic Book Backing Boards 6 3/4" x 10 1/2"
Full-Back Current Comic Book Backing Boards 6 3/4" x 10 1/2"
Price: $19.95