Profile for OrangeCrush > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 361

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

OrangeCrush "Still shooting with Film!" RSS Feed (Farmington Hills, MI USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Frosted Pane Shelf White Linen Cabinet 2 Drawer 2 Bathroom Storage Cabinet. Great for Bath Shelving and Extra Space.
Offered by USA Club Furniture
Price: $140.80
13 used & new from $140.59

4.0 out of 5 stars All in All, A Very Nice Cabinet...., July 22, 2014
Our upstairs bathroom is actually pretty small in size, so I was looking for a smaller cabinet, one that was no more than 15" wide and 35" high. I narrowed the field down to 2 units, including this one. I ultimately wound up going with this unit as I really liked the frosted glass door and the fact it had 2 drawers. The other unit I was looking at was just a straight shelving unit. I finally placed my order and it arrived a couple days later.

Its important to note that this unit is pretty heavy in its package. If you have any disabilities or have difficulty lifting heavy packages, your definitey going to want someone there to help you get the package inside. Once I had it inside, I just tore open the box and carried the individual pieces upstairs instead of trying to lift the entire packaged unit upstairs. Once I had everything upstairs I proceeded to put the unit together. I have a decent amount of expereince with this kind of build it yourself furniture. All in all I would rate this unit somewhere in the middle in regards to overall time and difficulty in putting it together.

The first thing you should do is grab a pen/sharpie and mark off all of the pieces on the parts page to make sure you arent missing any items. I was actually missing one of the longer screws for one of the drawers, but I have a toolbox that is filled with misc stuff like picture hangers, screws, etc. and was able to find a suitable replacement so that was nice as nothing is worse than buying this kind of furniture, opening it all up with the intention of putting it together and not being able to do to missing pieces. You either have to exchange the item, or get a reaplcement item sent out from the company. Either way is a pain, but that is simply one of the risks of this kind of furniture. Thankfully, my missing screw didn't wind up being a big deal.

Anyways, once you have confirmed that all of your pieces are there, I highly recommend laying them out in an area on the floor as every piece in this kit is designated a letter (A, B, C, D, E, etc.). The first 12 or so letters are all the smaller pieces like screws, anchors, handles, etc. Laying them out in thier alphabetical order makes it easier to go along with the directions and they refer to everything by thier letter. For example, it will say take something like "take 4 screws (A) and attach the 4 metal floor stands (M) to the bottom piece of wood (S)". So having everything laid out in alphebetical order makes it very easy to grab the pieces needed for each step. If you don't do this you will be going searching for the pieces you need with each successive step. Best to just lay them out in order. Its important to note that these directions were not the best directions I have ever seen. There are a couple of instances where the drawing is clearly off. For example, when your attaching the magnetic plate that keeps the door shut, the directions are just off in regards to where your supposed to screw it into. Don't worry tho, as you can figure it out by where the pre drilled holes are. Just take your time and you should be able to figure everything out.

I did run into one serious issue when building this. The bottom drawer would not close all the way due to one of the screws, one that was used to screw the drawer track in place. The door was running into one of the back screws, which stopped the drawer from closing all the way. I used a drill and it just wouldn't go in any farther. If I had been able to screw the screw in just a tad bit farther, there wouldnt have been a problem. I wound up improvising as there was a 2nd hole in the drawer track. It was roughly an inch farther down from the one your supposed to use on the track and that hole was actually a bit wider than the one your supposed to use. I took a drill bit and drilled a hole through that 2nd hole that was deep enough for the screw to be screwed in farther. In the end, it worked perfectly. The only difference is one of the screws on the bottom drawer is an inch farther down than it was supposed to be. In the end, it simply wasn't a big deal as I was able to improvise and the drawer works perfectly. Of course, I never should have had to do that in the first place and some other people might have had a much harder time finding a fix. I don't know if this is a common problem with this unit or if I just got unlucky. All of the other 7 screws for the drawers went in far enough for the drawer to close so I don't really understand why the 8th one wouldn't. Oh well, again, in the end everything worked out.

To be perfectly honest, I will agree that this unit is a bit overpriced given what it really is. I would think $99.99 would be a far more reasonable price. That said, the wife and I absolutely LOVE the piece now that its finsihed. It really was the perfect size for our bathroom and it really does look nice. It also appears to be pretty sturdy. The directions suggest you anchor this unit to your wall, but we didn't and its 100% perfectly stable. As small as this unit is, it actually holds a LOT more than i thought it was going to. The main reason we got this is because our bathroom counter was just cluttered with misc bathroom crap. Razors, shaving cream, lotions, mouth wash, hair products, etc. We put 90% of the stuff in this cabinet, which was quite a bit of stuff, and there is still plenty of room for more. You basiclly get 2 shelves and 2 drawers, plus the top of the unit itself. The frosted glass looks really nice. There is just something about frosted glass and bathrooms.

All in all we are really happy that we went with this unit. I gave this unit 4 stars instead of 5 stars for these reasons:

1 - It is a bit overpriced. $99.99 would be a far more reasonable price for this unit.
2 - The directions could be better, especially the drawings of the locations of where certain parts go.
3 - It was missing a screw
4 - I had to improvise to get the bottom drawer to shut all the way.

5 stars just didnt seem right given those issues. That said, we are 100% happy that we chose this unit and if I had the chance to choose again, I would pick the same exact one. Its just a great unit for smaller bathrooms, one that will give you a lot of extra storage space. On top of that, it really does look nice. If your looking for a smaller cabinet for your bathroom, and your looking for a piece that will look really nice and are willing to pay a bit more, then this is definitely the cabinet I would recommend. Again, if I had the ability to go back and choose again, I would definitely pick this cabinet again.

Fathom Origines, Tome 2 : Emergence
Fathom Origines, Tome 2 : Emergence
by Michael Turner
Edition: Album
5 used & new from $40.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, March 6, 2014
Being a collector of everything Michael Turner, it was really nice being able to buy this partciular cover in hard cover form. It cost a bit more, but was absolutely worth it. The quality of the book is top notch, exactly what you should expect from these kinds of releases. The cover itself is absolutely breathtaking. If your a collector of Michael Turner books and collectibles, than this is one book that should definitely be on your radar. I will definitely be buying other Fathom Origines books in the future.

Grimm Fairy Tales Omnibus
Grimm Fairy Tales Omnibus
by Ralph Tedesco
Price: $39.64
29 used & new from $35.65

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately Disappointing!, March 6, 2014
First off, its disappointing that this was initially supposed to be a hard cover release and was switched last minute to a soft cover release. Soft covers of this size do not fair well over the long term. Your going to start having issues with the binding before you even get through this book. Second, covers always have and always will be one of the main draws for Zenescope comics and as such, cover galleries should be included in every major omnibus like this. A quality cover gallery would have only added like 30 pages tops. Hardly an issue when you already reaching 1600 pages. The fact that they sell the omnibus, and then sell a separate Grimm Fairy Tales Cover Art Book is nothing short of an underhanded cash grab.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Zenescope producing a separate cover book after all, there are a lot of people out there who are only interested in the covers. Those people would be interested in buying the cover book and not the omnibus. My problem is with Zenscope making even the people that buy the omnibus buy the cover art book. Those covers should have been included in this omnibus. The fact that they aren't included significantly lowers the overall quality and value of this book. I am a big fan of Zenescope, but this will be my final omnibus purchase until they start including cover galleries, something that should be a no brainer with this company. They know full well what they are doing and again, it amounts to nothing short of a cash grab.

The only people I can recommend this book too are fans who are only interested in the stories. If you have no interest in the covers, than this would be a decent purchase, although your still likely going to have binding problems.

Art of Dejah Thoris and the Worlds of Mars HC
Art of Dejah Thoris and the Worlds of Mars HC
by Robert Greenberger
Price: $24.09
40 used & new from $23.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!, March 3, 2014
This is by far, one of my favorite comic art books to come out in some time. Dejah Thoris is such an iconic female comic figure and she really seems to inspire the best from the artists that depict her. Some of the more interesting covers I have seen the last 10 years were Dejah Thoris covers. Some of the artists work covered in this book include Alex Ross, J. Scott Campbell, Joe Jusko, Art Adams, Paul Renaud, Francesco Francavilla and last but not least Lucio Parrillo, who is by far my single favorite artist working today. If you are unfamiliar with Lucio's work, take the time to check out his home page on the internet. Trust me, you will not regret it. Instead of drawing or working digitally, Lucio paints all of his covers. He is one of the few artists still working today that actually paint thier covers. The result is nothing short of breathtaking. A perfect example of Lucio's work is his Vampirella #19 cover, which I personally find to be the single sexiest cover ever created in comics. Needless to say, his work is really one of the highlights of this book.

I do have to include a bit of a warning as there is quite a bit of nudity in this book. Dynamite releases an adult variant cover with each issue and a lot of that work is included here. Its not distasteful in any way, but I still think its important to mention. A lot of parents might not deem this suitable for younger kids. Personally, I think art is one of the better ways to introduce nudity to kids, but that is up to each parent to decide for themselves. So take heed parents, this book is definitely aimed at a more mature audience.

All in all, Dynamite has done an outstanding job on this book. It has a quality binding and paper and the choice of artwork is top notch. If your a fan of Dejah Throis than this should be your next art book purchase, no question about it. Just a breathtaking assortment of Dejah Throis work, from some of the best artists in the industry. You just can't go wrong on this one.

Thank you Dynamite!

The Comic Art Price Guide: Illustrated Guide with Price Range Values, Third Edition [Paperback]
by Jerry Weist
Price: $23.09
12 used & new from $23.09

4.0 out of 5 stars All in All an Excellent Reference for Comic Art Buyers., February 27, 2014
I am an avid collector and have more collecting hobbies than I care to admit. Some of my current hobbies include original comic art, limited edition prints, vintage and antique cameras and lenses, vintage telescopes, playing cards, comics (mostly golden age and silver age), coins, railroad and silver certifcates, vintage Barbour and Belstaff jackets, first edition books, Replica weapons (mostly science fiction), video games, Sideshow statues and figurines, vintage Orange Crush memorabilia, vintage Kokak signs and memorabilia, unopened Wacky Packages, everything I can get in regards to Lord of the Rings etc.. There are more that I havent listed and some that I have given up on as the years have gone by. All in all I have been a serious collector for over 25 years and have dipped my toes in most of the major collecting arena's.

All that being said, in regards to pricing and value, original comic art is without question one of the most difficult markets out to there to guage, which makes it very difficult to know if your getting a great deal or being taken advantage of. This guide is really an invaluable tool if your looking to become knowledgable on comic art pricing. Its a little outdated, but it still hugely valuable in helping people get a basic understanding of the values in this industry. From what I have seen the last 15 years, subjectivity (in regards to pricing) plays a much bigger role in this market that most others. I think that is largely due to the nostagia factor that a lot of people feel when they see a lot of this kind of art and this is especially true when collectors come across pages or artwork from the books they read growing up. Nostalgia plays a HUGE role in the comic industry as a whole and its effect on pricing can be significant and it makes princing in this industry all the harder to follow and it makes a basic understanding of pricing all the more imperative.

All in all, the value of comic art in recent years has absolutely skyrocketed and from what all of the analysts are saying, it doesnt look to be slowing down anytime soon. If your serious about comic art, or want to become serious about comic art, getting a basic understanding of pricing should be one of your top priorities. The Comic Art Price Guide is really one of the best tools out there that can give you that understanding. Again, its not perfect, but its still the best pricing guide on the market. An invaluable tool for today's comic art buyer!

If your going to be buying comic art, do yourself a favor and buy this book. You will thank yourself in the long run!

BCW Backing Boards, 7 x 10 1/2", Silver
BCW Backing Boards, 7 x 10 1/2", Silver
Price: $11.99
21 used & new from $4.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware the Shavings!, February 17, 2014
I usually use ComiCare comic boards, but my local comic shop ran out and I was forced to make a run to a different comic shop and unfortunately, they did not carry ComiCare, they carried BCW instead. The owner of the comic shop stated they were really nice boards so I decided to give them a try. I had just won a bunch of signed Michael Turner books on eBay, but unfortunately the bags and boards looked really old. Most of them needed replacing. Anyways, about 30 minutes into replacing these bags and boards, I got up to get a drink of water and that is when I noticed a bunch of white shavings on my lap. I am not talking about a shaving or two, my lap was just covered with them. I immeditaly started inspecting the boards and sure enough, each board had white shavings all along the edges, most notably on the bottom edge. I immeditaly started inspecting the comics I had just bagged and boarded and sure enough, the white shavings were all over the place inside the bags. It was an absolute mess.

The static that is present with the bags and boards make the problem even worse. The shavings stick to the bags like tape, and once you put the comic in the bag, they stick to the comic as well. All in all, it was just a total mess. One by one I had to take the comics out of the bags and clean them in my matting studio (I am a photographer) using a fine brush and compressed air. It took me almost 2 hours to clean all of the comics and get them back into their original bags. It was an utter nightmare.

I have been collecting comics for over 30 years and have never had something like this happen before. I guess if you knew about this problem before hand, you could vaccum the boards before using them, but why would I want to do that when I can just buy boards from other companies that don't have this problem? This was my first time using this brand, so I can't say one way or the other whether or not this was just a bad batch or whether this sort of thing happens frequently with this brand. I can only speak to my own expereince and it was nothing short of horrid. I was tempted to give these boards a 1 star review, but after thinking about it for a few minutes, I decided that I probably would have given these boards a 4 star review had I not had the shavings problem and while the shavings are a problem, I do not think they dictate a 3 star drop in score. A 2 star drop sounded more accurate to me so I gave them a 2 star rating instead.

If your going to use these boards, just make sure you inspect them before you actually use them. If they do have shavings, make sure you get rid of them before proceeding to use them. Otherwise, you will have one big mess on your hands!

2 Stars!

Itoya Art Profolio 16" x 20" Crystal Clear PolyGlass Pages, 10 Pages Per Pack
Itoya Art Profolio 16" x 20" Crystal Clear PolyGlass Pages, 10 Pages Per Pack
Offered by aSavings
Price: $18.99
2 used & new from $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Money!!, January 27, 2014
Itoya's Polyglass pages, which are archival and 100% acid free, are without question some of the clearest pages I have ever come across in the portfolio market. A lot of pages out there will give you a subtle milky appearance, thus negatively effecting the overall quality of your print. Most of the time its a subtle effect, but it is still noticable. These pages on the other hand are crystal clear. There is no degradation of print quality when using these pages. If you have used some of the other pages on the market, odds are you will be shocked at how vibrant your prints appear in these pages. Yes, they do cost a bit more, but for good reason, the quality is just top notch and its absolutely worth the extra money. If your looking for quality pages for your artwork then look no further. Pages really don't get any better than this.

Itoya Polyglass Pages 14 in. x 17 in. vertical pack of 10

Offered by Hyatt's All Things Creative
Price: $11.45
6 used & new from $9.15

5 Stars!

Itoya PR-17-22 Art Profolio Polyglass Pages Portrait Vertical 18x24in. Size 10-Pack
Offered by aSavings
Price: $24.99
3 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Money!, January 27, 2014
Itoya's Polyglass pages, which are archival and 100% acid free, are without question some of the clearest pages I have ever come across in the portfolio market. A lot of pages out there will give you a subtle milky appearance, thus negatively effecting the overall quality of your prints or posters. Most of the time its a subtle effect, but it's still noticable. These pages on the other hand are crystal clear. There is no degradation of print quality when using these pages. If you have used some of the other pages on the market, odds are you will be shocked at how vibrant your prints appear in these pages. Yes, they do cost a bit more, but for good reason, the quality is just top notch and its absolutely worth the extra money. If your looking for quality pages for your artwork then look no further. Pages really don't get any better than this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20