Profile for paula arnell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

paula arnell RSS Feed (London, England)

My Traitor's Heart
My Traitor's Heart
by Rian Malan
113 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars the long wait, October 9, 2000
This review is from: My Traitor's Heart (Paperback)
I first read this book in 1991, intrigued after seeing the BBC documentary (no video available?) of Malan reliving the horrors and inversions of his terrible journey into the hearts of his countrymen.I was so moved by the book that I wrote to thank him for his thoughts and words. Inevitably this book struck me as his journey towards his truth, which inspires and jolts the reader into a new awareness of their awesome existence in a world of men that seems to seek to render them helpless. It is impossible not to feel and to take a passionate stand about the stories he unfolds of blood and murder in his homeland. But South Africa is only unique in this respect in the openness of the killing. I recently watched a programme about SA, also on the BBC, - a visit by Louis Theroux in his "Weird" series which showed that far from the radical change expected since Malan's original, the Nazi's of SA are alive and well - Eugene Terreblanche may be in prison, but his form of Nationalism exists everywhere in the First World in some form or other. Malan's predictions are all but coming true...thanks for replying to a young idealist all those years ago, Malan. I'm still living my happy but wiser life, searching, writing, and waiting for the next chapters of your story.