Profile for J. C. Dixon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. C. Dixon RSS Feed (Asheville, NC, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
TiVo TCD746500 Premiere DVR - Black (Tivo Service Subscription Required)
TiVo TCD746500 Premiere DVR - Black (Tivo Service Subscription Required)
Offered by weaKnees DVR Superstore
Price: $149.99
25 used & new from $40.99

5.0 out of 5 stars TiVo is one of the few technologies that actually makes life easier., June 4, 2014
The TiVo program guide makes it easy to manage the overwhelming number of cable channels, which are always moving around on the dial and changing times. Now, I just tell TiVo to get my shows and I watch them when it's convenient for me. The Netflix app is great, too, giving me one box to watch all my programming and movies.

Mel Bay's Getting into Funk Guitar
Mel Bay's Getting into Funk Guitar
by Ronald Muldrow
Price: $16.58
22 used & new from $9.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you're into the Mel Bay approach..., May 16, 2013
...but, if not, you can find better options. The overal production quality of this book is chumpy--like it hasn't been updated in decades. What bugged me most was the low quality recording of the simplistic practice tracks. They all had hissy background noise. Very annoying and makes you not want to use them. This book seems best for someone who just wants to pick up a little funk to integrate into another style but not for someone wanting master the diversity of the funk sound.

BC TPU Sleeve Gel Cover Skin Case for U.S. Cellular Motorola Defy XT XT556 -Blue Checker
Offered by GizmoReady
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough., May 16, 2013
The argyle pattern doesn't really show through, but it fits well and makes the phone more grip-y. Get's the job done.

CASEBUDi Headphone Case - Large
CASEBUDi Headphone Case - Large
3 used & new from $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, May 16, 2013
This is a great case for my 429s. Why Sennheiser doesn't offer a case like this is beyond me, but I'm glad CASEBUDi is on the scene. Now I can travel without fear of breaking them. Nice internal pocket for a jack adapter or someother doodad. Not firm enough for hard-core road abuse (say, for a touring musician), but great for the casual traveler.

Chezmoi Collection 90 by 92-Inch 7-Piece Micro Suede Comforter/Bed-in-a-Bag Set, Queen, Solid Lavender Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great. Well made., May 16, 2013
Nice rich purple color. Holds up well to repeated washings. We've had the set for months now. Comforter is warm for winter--maybe too warm for summer unless you keep it real cold inside.

Mccann's Steel Cut Oatmeal, 28-Ounce Tin (Pack of 4)
Mccann's Steel Cut Oatmeal, 28-Ounce Tin (Pack of 4)
Price: $28.36

5.0 out of 5 stars The best oatmeal bar none, May 16, 2013
I've always liked oatmeal and have always been dissatisfied with the instant kind. Yet, I never wanted to stand around and boil it for 20 minutes, constantly stirring. McCann's is the perfect answer. Uncooked, it looks like little seeds with the ends cut off. You boil it for one minute. Let it sit overnight. Then simmer it the next day for 10 minutes, occasionally stirring. What's even better is that it tastes like the really good oatmeal I would order at some hotels on business trips but could never duplicate at home--till now. Goes great with whatever you want to add to it. I make it four servings at a time and it gets better with each passing day. Tin makes 16 servings that will fill you up. Getting it four cans at a time lasts me three months.

Zadro 10X - 1X Dimmable Sunlight Wall Mount Surround Mirror Satin Nickel
Zadro 10X - 1X Dimmable Sunlight Wall Mount Surround Mirror Satin Nickel
Price: $125.24
18 used & new from $83.60

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design, questionable execution, May 16, 2012
My wife loves this thing. It's the best designed wall-mount mirror I have found. However, it is tricky. Flourescent bulbs don't lend themselves to dimming. It works best if you turn it all the way up and then dim it back. Replacing the bulb takes some patience, so don't do it when you're cranky. (I took it apart and reassembled it just for "fun.") It is a tight design and, while it seems sturdy enough, you don't want to force the issue with the plastic parts. The cord is unsightly but can easily be shortened for those with basic electrical wiring skills. So far it works great (about two months). We hope it will hold out for the long run.

iBank 4
iBank 4
Offered by CircuitCity
Price: $53.49
29 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to Quicken Essentials, May 31, 2011
This review is from: iBank 4 (Software)
I switched to iBank from Quicken Essentials after using Quicken for over a decade. First, I could not import my old Quicken transactions into Quicken Essentials without having tens of thousands of dollars in discrepancies. (It's not like I'm a millionaire!) Second, I could not reconcile my various personal and work related accounts in Quicken Essentials without hundreds and thousands of dollars in discrepancies that led to hours of frustration. iBank solved both those problems. I imported from Quicken and spent an hour or so setting up the categories as I am used to them. (The installed categories are fine, too.) Now I can balance all of my accounts (six or so) in less than one hour of total time per month. I don't do a lot of complicated reporting, but iBank has all the capabilities that I recall from Quicken. I need to set up my investment/retirement accounts, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Again, from what I've gleaned, iBank looks fully capable of meeting my needs. My only suggestions is that the color coding of the categories could be more vivid.

XPY 14k Yellow Gold Diamond Bumble Bee Pendant (.19 cttw)
XPY 14k Yellow Gold Diamond Bumble Bee Pendant (.19 cttw)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and delicate, December 26, 2010
Make no mistake, this pendant is tiny and the chain is very fine. However, it has plenty of sparkle and is just as pretty as it can be. I got it for Christmas, and I couldn't be more pleased.

Guitar Heaven: The Greatest Guitar Classics of All Time
Guitar Heaven: The Greatest Guitar Classics of All Time
Price: $7.00
90 used & new from $0.33

4.0 out of 5 stars It grows on me more with every listen, October 13, 2010
There is so little real rock 'n' roll out there nowadays that I bought this CD begrudgingly, cringing at the fact I had been reduced to nostagia for an aging guitar legend who's migrated from Woodstock to a show at Hard Rock Vegas. The first few listens at home didn't bowl me over. But, then I did it old school and put the CD in my car and listened a few times through. First, keep in mind that Carlos has always been more of a collaborative artist. His band had over a dozen lead singers and scores of musicians prior to Supernatural. Second, he launched his career into superstardom with a cover, Peter Green's (Fleetwood Mac) "Black Magic Woman." So, I don't see this album as any sort of sellout or gimmick a la Slash. Also, I've listened to him for years just as a guitarist. However, his sound (to me) had become quite predictable. I'm not sure that I've heard him play a riff or lyric that wasn't derivative of himself since 1987's "Freedom." Until now. These songs really allow him to bring his latin/soul/jazz sensibility to a wide range of tunes. Nearly all of the vocalists live up to the challenge, and, certainly, no one lets him down. The only miss is on Gavin Rossdale's "Bang a Gong" where Carlos lets Gavin down by reducing one of Brit-rock's most distinctive guitar riffs to a jazzy mush. The definite standout for me is Nas's work on "Back in Black." I haven't heard Carlos rock with a wah like that since "Hope You're Feeling Better." Given the wide range of selections stylistically, there's something here to please everyone. I like most of the covers as well as (and a few even more) than the originals. Even the songs that lag have a few brilliant moments of guitar work that make listening to the whole song worthwhile. But, I won't bore you with my personal preferences. If you like classic rock (1960s-2000s) with super-modern production value and the trademarked stylings of Carlos Santana, you will get far more than your money's worth here.

Page: 1 | 2