Profile for Glyn Dewis > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Glyn Dewis "Dinkiz" RSS Feed (Buckinghamshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The New iPad Fully Loaded
The New iPad Fully Loaded
Price: $23.74
68 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved my iPad before..now I REALLY love it!!!, May 23, 2012
Decided now was the time to upgrade to the 3rd Generation iPad having held off upgrading to the iPad 2, and WOW what a difference. At first I kinda though the upgrade was just for a higher resolution screen and faster processor but it's so much more. How I managed before having an iPad is beyond me BUT no where near as much as how I would have managed without this Fully Loaded series.

Thanks to the tips, tricks and App recommendations throughout the book I'm finding now that I'm only using my MacBook Pro for editing as it seems everything else can be done on the iPad.

Very well laid out and with lots of full colour pictures this book does a superb job of helping you to very quickly get the most out of your iPad.

Apple...if ever you were to include a How To manual..The New iPad: Fully Loaded should be it!!!

Highly Recommended

Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers Using Photoshop (Voices That Matter)
Price: $30.37
68 used & new from $24.71

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Bible on Retouching, July 19, 2011
If you ever find yourself sat infront of your computer screen staring at some portrait shots you've taken, Photoshop open and saying "Now what?" or quite simply you want to make your portrait shots look their very best, then I can't say it any simpler than You Need This Book!

`Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers using Photoshop' is the latest book by Photographer and Photoshop Guru Scott Kelby and in my own opinion this time he's out done himself and produced what I predict will become the Retouching Bible! Seriously...the book is that good!

With what appears to be an infinite supply of Photoshop books out there lining shelves in book stores it can be incredibly difficult knowing which ones/s to get especially when each and every one promises to `share the secrets of the pros'. The risk of possibly wasting your hard earned cash on a book that you'll glance through disappointingly and then never pick up again is real, and one that I'm sure most of us have done on more than one occasion.

However, this latest book changes things. We now have a book that not only gives us techniques that are easy to follow and apply but a book that eliminates the feeling of `What do I do now?'

This new book is full to the brim of techniques that work and work extremely well and what's more they're written and explained in a way that makes them easy to understand and then apply to your own work.

If you're familiar with Scott's Digital Photography Book series [Link] and the one page, one tip style then this is kind of written in the same way. Now obviously I don't mean that each technique takes just one page to explain but what I do mean is that the techniques don't drag on and confuse the heck out of you; Scott gets to the point and in a way that feels like he's there with you..."Do this, now do that...there you go!" Simple!

Some folks have `complained' in the past about Scott's humour in his writing but I think even `they' are going to be impressed this time. I don't know if it's an intentional decision on Scott's behalf but this latest book does seem to be written in a way that's slightly different to what we've become accustomed to, but that's definitely a good thing. Personally I like Scott's writing style...I'm a very visual person so for me to read, I need to be entertained as well as informed but this latest book will definitely appeal to all.

So what does the book cover?
The book is made up of 7 Chapters each covering a different area of retouching and on most occasions showing more than one technique to achieve the same/similar result so you can choose which fits in best with your way of working...

Chapter 1: Retouching Eyes

Brightening the Whites of the Eyes
Removing Eye Veins
Changing Eye Colour
Reducing Dark Circles Under Eyes
Making Eyes Larger (or Smaller)
Swapping One Eye for the Other

Slimming One Person in a Group Shot
Reducing a Double Chin & Thinning the Face
Thinning Arms or Legs
Getting Great Abs
Fixing Clothes (Lumps, Bagging & Folds)

Chapter 7: My 5-, 15-, and 30 Minute Retouches

Retouching Checklist
My Five-Minute Retouch
My 15-Minute Retouch
My 30-Minute Retouch

Now this Chapter is the icing on the cake! Sure it's ok to know all these different techniques but when do you apply them, and in what order and more to the point how do you decide what needs doing anyway?

In Chapter 7 Scott goes through 3 retouches from start to finish...each more involved than the next; a 5 minute, a 15 minute and a 30 minute retouch covering techniques explained throughout the book and what's more there's an included `Check List' that you can use during your own retouching that goes through the kind of questions you should be asking yourself and that will help you to decide what to do.

Summary
As Photographers we should all aim to get the best `out of camera' images we can but it doesn't stop there! The money and time we've all invested, and continue to do so, to improve our skills still doesn't take away the fact that EVERY image requires some form of editing...even if it's adding a little more contrast and some sharpening.

Being proficient in Photoshop is all part of being a photographer just as knowing what to do in the dark room was in the days of film and this book will give you all you need to finish off your portraits and show them off at their very best.

No matter how proficient you may be in Photoshop you will DEFINITELY learn some valuable techniques amongst the books 384 pages, oh and although the book is written in such a way that you can dive into any section you want, be sure NOT to skip the introduction as there's some valuable hints and tips plus details of the book's accompanying website that includes downloads for you to use too.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2012 9:10 AM PDT

The HDR Book: Unlocking the Pros' Hottest Post-Processing Techniques
The HDR Book: Unlocking the Pros' Hottest Post-Processing Techniques
by Rafael Concepcion
Price: $32.49
46 used & new from $3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what HDR has been waiting for!!!, July 19, 2011
I guess it's fair to say that there are few topics in Photography that cause as much of a reaction, be it good or bad, than HDR...people either love it or loathe it!

I guess it's also fair to say that most people's exposure (excuse the pun) to HDR would have been the highly overprocessed, surrealistic, fantasy look with masses of detail, dark clouds and saturated colours. However, there's so much more on offer than that, as this new book by Photographer, Photoshop Guru and all round `Go To Guy' RC Concepcion shows...

As you would expect the book starts off by covering the photography side of things with regards to what it takes to capture images for making a HDR image; camera settings, number of exposures, equipment and so on and then moves on to discuss what kind of images should be considered for HDR.

Like most things, when we discover and start dabbling in a new technique there can be a tendency to use it on everything and HDR especially is one of those techniques that needs to be handled with `kid gloves' and used wisely as it definitely won't suit everything. RC does a great job of discussing where it can be appropriately used; sure it's not a definitive list but through his obvious experience of HDR he clearly has a pretty good idea where and where not to use it.

Where I think this book is set to be a winner though is not how it covers the `capture' side of the HDR but in covering the post-processing side of things; let me explain...

There's no question that HDR is an extremely useful technique to have in your photography `tool bag' allowing full detail in the shadow and highlight areas across an entire image but if that's the case why has it attracted such vocal reactions against it in the past? ... well, the answer lies in the post processing, and this is exactly where RC nails it!

Capturing the necessary images to make up a HDR isn't rocket science. Once you've chosen your subject and you understand how to capture the necessary shots all at varying exposures, you're up and running in no time but it's how you `complete' the image when sat at the computer that it all comes together.

Having explained the capture process, the rest of the book is made up of projects showing how to post-process a whole range of images such as dimly lit interiors, landscape, real estate, black and white images and portraits...yes HDR can be used extremely well for portrait shots but again it's knowing the how, when and what that is so important and this RC covers in great detail.

What I particularly like about RC's approach throughout the book is that he doesn't push any one particular processing software and rather deals with the 3 main players (Photomatix, Nik HDR Efex Pro and Photoshop) and covers the pros and cons of each, so that you can make your choice of what to use as opposed to feeling compelled to make yet another purchase.

Through an understanding of the editing process RC shows how to edit your images to be `photorealistic' through to the `surrealistic' depending on what you prefer and as you'd expect, the pages are packed full of some wonderful examples.

In the past I've `dabbled' in HDR but it's something that I tended to steer away from because I, like most, had a preconceived idea of what it was having seen the `fantasy' type images in the past. However, when you look at the work of folks like Joel Grimes who makes use of HDR in his images I'm now of the opinion that I need to look at it a lot closer and that I'm going to look at putting together some HDR backgrounds for use in my workshop [Link].

So, to summarise...RC's done it again by producing another `killer' book and a book that people have been wanting for quite some time...

Finally HDR isn't a dirty word!

Highly Recommended

iPad 2 Fully Loaded
iPad 2 Fully Loaded
Price: $17.73
122 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the most out of your iPad...Get this book!!!, July 19, 2011
This review is from: iPad 2 Fully Loaded (Paperback)
When the iPad first came out I resisted for what seemed like a lifetime, intent on holding off until the 2nd Generation was released. Well, needless to say with `encouragement` from friends and colleagues, resistance was futile and I eventually caved in and purchased an iPad 32Gb with WiFi and 3G.

If I'm honest, at first I was a little disappointed because you see I was expecting a WOW moment but didn't really get it. Sure, the screen was amazing for viewing photographs on but everything else seemed pretty much like, well...using a big iPhone really, however...

Alan Hess' first book on the iPad, "iPad: Fully Loaded" was a complete eye opener on what the iPad was capable of and how it could be used to it's fullest. The first book I've read from cover to cover in one sitting, in no time at all I was installing Apps (most of them FREE) that Alan recommended, converting my DVD's to watch on the iPad and so much more; now I was getting the WOW moment I'd expected!

So as you can imagine, when I heard that Alan had written a follow up book coinciding with the release of the iPad 2, it was a no brainer that a copy would be taking it's place on my bookshelf...well, my iBook Library anyway :)

The "iPad 2: Fully Loaded" is a book that kind of carries on from where the first book finished off. As you'd expect, the first couple of chapters or so cover the basics such as setting up your iPad, email, surfing the web and so on but then after that there's so much more to discover...

PART 1: CONTENT BASICS

PART 2: ENTERTAINMENT CONTENT

Chapter 5: Electronic Reader
Chapter 6: Movies, Television and Music
Chapter 7: Magazines and News

This new book by Alan Hess is packed to the rafters with 288 pages of recommended Apps (again, most of which are FREE), hints, tips and techniques to help you get the most out of your iPad. You see the iPad is one of those gadgets that at first you'll maybe think `Why would I need one?' and that's only natural, but it's not until you actually get your hands on one and really start to put it to work for you that you realise how darned useful they actually are.

PART 3: INTERNET CONTENT

PART 4: BUSINESS CONTENT

Chapter 12: Office Apps
Chapter 13: Notes and Lists
Chapter 14: Remote Desktop

In the previous book there was one section in particular that had it only contained that information I would have brought the book anyway, and that section was Movies. Well in this new book Alan's done it again by covering Remote Desktop; let me explain...

Imagine being able to view your computer screen as it is on your iPad, and not only that being able to open programs, access your hard drive/s and so on...basically remotely control your computer...pretty cool huh? Well, that's exactly what you can do and Alan covers this in great detail but more to the point shows how incredibly easy it is to do. I use this function alot for all kinds of things such as accessing files when I'm not in front of my computer to on occasion sorting something out for my wife on her computer, again when I'm not actually there!

PART 5: LIFESTYLE CONTENT

Chapter 15: Travel
Chapter 16: Hobbies
Chapter 17: Sports
Chapter 18: Education

IMPORTANT: One real important thing to note about this new book is that despite the title `"iPad 2: Fully Loaded" it isn't specifically for the iPad 2. Sure there are sections in there covering what you can do with the iPad 2's built in camera and video but that's where it ends..absolutely everything else is also relevant to the iPad 1.

Summary:
To put it bluntly..."If you have an iPad and you seriously want to get the most out of it and see exactly how useful and how much fun they can be, then get this book!" In fact, I'll go one further and say "Get both books!"... iPad: Fully Loaded [Link] and iPad 2: Fully Loaded [Link] because both have sections you're just not going to want to miss out on!

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2011 3:56 PM PST

Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature (2nd Edition)
Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature (2nd Edition)
by Matt Kloskowski
Price: $27.84
88 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't just use Photoshop...Understand it! Highly Recommended, February 13, 2011
With what seems like an infinite number of Photoshop books out there on the shelves all making claims to contain the `secrets' of Photoshop when all is said and done, most do the same thing and that is show you how to achieve certain effects.

Now that's all well and good but what about a book that will help you to really understand Photoshop and show you how to not only achieve certain effects but at the same time, understand the how and why? Well, with the 2nd Edition of Matt Kloskowski's `Layers' book it totally lives up to it's sub heading:

"The complete guide to photoshop's most powerful feature" ... and that is giving a total understanding of Layers.

I made the mistake when I first started using Photoshop of buying into the `effects' books and while they were good fun, I didn't really learn much at all. If I was asked to do a certain thing to a photo or design and create a poster I'd struggle because if it wasn't in print infront of me I wouldn't have known where to start.

It wasn't until I took things back to basics and started grasping an understanding of what was going on that my skill level improved and has continued to do so. In fact since doing so the Plug Ins I own are only used at certain times such as client work that is on a tight time scale for completion as I can generally work out how to achieve the same effect by myself using...wait for it...Layers

The book's 312 pages are packed with `no nonsense' and `straight to the point' information but written in a conversational style that makes it easy to read and digest leaving you not only with more knowledge but an ability to apply what you've read.

iPad Fully Loaded
iPad Fully Loaded
Price: $18.99
109 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have an iPad...you NEED this book!, January 12, 2011
This review is from: iPad Fully Loaded (Paperback)
As a working photographer the iPad is proving to be an invaluable piece of kit, but not just for showing portfolios; which I hasten to add it does extremely well. There's so much that can be done with this incredible piece of kit but that's only something I'm now more aware of having recently purchased this book by Alan Hess.

With so many books available to us promising the earth it's difficult to know what to buy and I for one have ended up spending good money on books that just haven't lived up to the reviews. However, I'm glad to say with this book I couldn't be happier. It's very rare that I'll manage to get through a book in one day but with this book I nearly got through it in one sitting. That doesn't mean the book has little content; quite the reverse in fact with over 284 pages packed with little gems of tips and tricks.

I think what makes this book a winner is that it's Author is himself a working Photographer and trainer so it's been approached from a ground level, users point of view. Tips and techniques are covered straight to the point so you not left in any doubt as to what to do and what's more the author hasn't used this as a way of promoting endless applications; in fact a large proportion of those he mentions are free.

I could go on and on as to why I highly recommend this book but I can sum it by saying...'If you've spent the money it takes to buy an iPad then I would suggest you're going to want to get the most out of it; Alan Hess' Book 'The iPad: Fully Loaded' will enable you to do exactly that...and more!

I'd have purchased this book if only for what I learned in "Chapter 5: Movies"

The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes
The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes
by Joe McNally
Price: $33.05
94 used & new from $16.11

5.0 out of 5 stars An Incredible read!!!!!, March 31, 2009
With so many books on photography out there that by their summary promise 'the earth' it can be difficult to know what to buy. Not so when it comes to this new book by Joe McNally. It is quite simply an incredible book on photography - focusing on the use of flash photography (speedlights). In the first chapters Joe takes you through the kit he uses and why and then page after page shows some incredible photographs and exactly how he created them using; every thought, every mistake, settings ... the lot!!!! it's all covered making this THE book to own.

Honestly, if you only had one book on flash photography, in fact photography in general, then this is the one to own; it really is that good. As a professional photographer, this book has taught me so much and given me so many ideas for shoots ... my only wish now is that there were more hours in the day :o)

Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature
Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature
by Matt Kloskowski
Price: $33.27
84 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop Simplified!!!, March 3, 2008
With so many books out there on Photoshop claiming to teach the secrets it's difficult to know what to buy; this new book by Matt Kloskowski though is a definite MUST HAVE for anyone just starting out in the world of Photoshop and anyone who has been using it for a while.

Matt manages to simplify the whole concept of Layers (the bread and butter of Photoshop) in a quick easy to understand way that I challenge anyone not to grasp it after the first chapter. Following on from that in the following 8 chapters, Matt goes on to cover such topics as blending layers, adjustment layers, layer masks and then some chapters covering retouching, layer styles and smart objects ... again, in an easy to follow teaching style that just works..period!

Some readers out there, like me may have been using photoshop for a number of years now and may consider a book teaching Layers to be beneath them, but as in all of Matt's books, there are always a few gems hidden in there that make buying the book worth it just for them.

Littered with some stunning photos and techniques this is a book that doesn't make false claims, it delivers and and all for a great price too ... nuff said :o)

ps> I'm not on commision, I just believe in putting my money to good use :o)

The Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers
The Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers
Price: $38.10
253 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'MUST' have for every photographer ... whatever level!!!, August 10, 2007
This is Scott Kelby's revised edition of his Photoshop for Photographers series covering CS3, but don't be fooled in thinking that it's just as the previous version with a few added extras. Not only does this book cover the new features of CS3 which are mainly relevant to photographers, it's packed with all new techniques for retouching and finally presenting your images.

Since the last edition, it's clear that Scott Kelby has been studying his craft hard. The book is full, cover to cover with beautiful photographs, taken by him, which are motivating by themselves. Amongst the many, two techniques which stand out to give superb results are what he calls the Trendy High Contrast Portrait Effect and the Hollywood Highlights technique.

The book is written in Scott's easy going humerous style, and yes there are people that don't relate to his sense of humour, but then you can't please everyone. That being said, if you don't like the humour, then do yourself a favour and look past it, cos amongst it is some of the most valuable information, we as photographers need if we want to keep 'up there'.

Covering everything from the Bridge, color correcting, enhancements, presentation and more, as I've said this book is a MUST HAVE for photographers of all levels.

Oh and incase you were wondering, 'no' I'm not on commission ... I just like to spend my money wisely!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2007 6:11 AM PST

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book for Digital Photographers
The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book for Digital Photographers
155 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'MUST' for every photographer ... whatever their skill level!!!, May 15, 2007
I'm guessing that anyone who has a camera and at least gets the occasional Photography magazine will have heard of Adobe's latest additonal to their arsenal of software ... Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. The software is without doubt a great piece of kit giving the photographer a 'one stop shop' from importing images to ending up with the final print in your hands. However...this 'great' piece of kit becomes 'awesome' once you've got your hands on the new book by Scott Kelby, "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book".

I'm very much the kind of person that likes books to bombard me with information, but that being said, if it's written in a clinical, factual style then I'd probably get to then middle of chapter one and be done with it. From then on, I'd jump in and out of chapters picking up on little things, but undoubtedly missing out on the big picture.

Scott Kelby's style of writing is sure not to suit everyone, but I for one find it a pleasurable read. Scott writes as if he's in the same room chatting with you, which serves to work extremely effectively. Some readers may not warm to his sense of humour, but you've got to ask yourself "Do I want to get the most of out of this book or not?" If you don't warm to it, then look past it, cos there's plenty of information there to take your mind away from it and onto the task at hand...learning.

In summary then, I really do feel that occasionally books get written and there's alot of hype about how good they are. Naturally the publishers are gonna 'beef it up' so as to increase sales, but believe me ... this just isn't necessary in this case. The book speaks for itself, and I genuinely believe that if you're a photographer then you need to be using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom; and if you have Adobe Photoshop Lightrooon, then you need this book.

One more thing ... do as Scott suggests and read from cover to cover; you'll be glad you did, despite the overwhelming temptation to skip to the last 2 chapters which bring it all together.

Page: 1 | 2