Profile for Kyle C. Duncan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kyle C. Duncan RSS Feed (Eden Prairie, MN USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Journey to Rainbow Island
Journey to Rainbow Island
by Christie Hsiao
Price: $2.89
130 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars From the editor's view, April 23, 2014
First you should know that I was the editor of Journey to Rainbow Island, and have already been paid for my work--I am not receiving a penny for writing this review. Unlike so much darkness in children's and middle grade fiction these days, the message of JTRI is centered in hope and resilience. Yes, this is a violent world that the protagonist, Yu-ning, lives in--just like the one we live in today. However, Yu-ning does not use violence to achieve her goals--she uses the hope and love inside her to come against those who would want to destroy her and her world. JTRI features children attempting to shine light into dark places. Fighting for goodness, fairness, and compassion. In that sense, JTRI promotes those virtures we all hope to instill in our children. Without spoiling the ending, all I will say is yes, there is a dragon, and yes, Yu-ning is very skilled with a bow (see Katniss Everdeen, or Merida from Brave)--but how she uses that bow will both surprise and inspire you. Read along with your 7-12 year old, and enjoy.

Hope Kills
Hope Kills

5.0 out of 5 stars Intellingent--how refreshing, July 8, 2013
A phenomonal show with impeccable acting and writing. I look forward to every episode, and it has the same depth of characters as such shows as The Wire and Breaking Bad. A little disappointed that they automatically depict the pastor as some sort of perv. There are millions of unnamed, selfless religious organizations out there--Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc--that are doing amazing, heroic things for kids on the streets. Just a head=scratcher to me. Sure, the world has it's share of molesting pastors and priests, but they make up a vast minority, compared to folks I know that are life-changers for hurting people.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2013 8:41 PM PDT

Thursday
Thursday
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "The time is right for violent revolution", September 20, 2012
"Street Fighting Man" by the Stones fades over the final poolside scene of the season finale of "Southland" Season 4, and it dawns on you, "This isn't simply a good show--this is one of the best shows on television."

Perhaps the fact that I was born and raised 10 minutes from downtown L.A. has something to do with my keen affection for this show. But I don't think Southland is one of those shows with so many "inside" references and jokes to make it irrelevant or out of touch with the rest of the nation.

It's just flat out damn good TV. Glad to hear TNT is bringing it back for a fifth season. There is justice on the streets of Los Angeles, after all.

Buyout
Buyout

5.0 out of 5 stars We are Americans. We exaggerate. But..., August 21, 2012
This IS the best piece of entertainment on television or cable. Why? Well, for one, the writing. It's really brilliant.

I think about this show for days after I watch an episode. It haunts me at times. It's that good.

Just relax, wait your turn for the Talking Pillow, and enjoy....

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61)
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61)
by Eckhart Tolle
Price: $8.44
2631 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Peeking beneath the surface, April 14, 2008
First, I'll just say that I am a Christian, and my main curiosity with this juggernaut bestseller was, as according to Oprah and many others who have reviewed the book, whether or not Tolle's message lines up with my belief system. Second, I'll say that I think I am reasonably open-minded. In other words, I am not the type of person who only believes some "worth" can be gained from a thing (e.g. a book, film or philosophy) if that artistic creation is intrinsically "Christian" or "biblical". For example, I love film--my favorite film of the past year was There Will Be Blood, which, though spiritual, did not exactly take a kind view of the Christian church.

I thought Tolle's soothing style was peace-inducing and at times, very helpful. And while I wholeheartedly agree with him that we must die to our own self-interested ego and reach a place of deeper, more selfless consciousness, I do respectfully disagree as to the source or headwaters from which that peace flows.

In other words, it seems to me and my reading of his book that he is asserting that the "higher self" is found within. I don't believe that. I think thousands of years of human evil have proven that if left to our own "higher selves," war, violence, and chaos is the typical outcome. Even religion can't provide that--the Crusades and Inquisition are good examples of how religion, void of the real Christ, can be manipulated by humankind. Ultimately, for me, true peace, deliverance, and joy comes from a place outside myself--in the person of Christ. Christ was not born in my heart. He was not crucified in my soul. He did not rise from the dead in my consciousness. His payment was made FOR my heart, FOR my soul, and FOR my consciousness. Outside of myself, not inside. That's perhaps splitting hairs for some, but a fundamental, critical differentiation for me and my understanding of the source of TRUE joy, tranquility and peace. To put it simply: My salvation comes from "outside myself" and into my life, via Christ's miracle of salvation.

For these reasons, I respectfully disagree with those who claim that A NEW EARTH is compatible with Christianity. I don't believe it is. Ultimately, the Christ I have come to understand is asking us to die to ourselves, and allow Him to be the Captain of our ship. At best, our mind/spirit/soul/consciousness is First Mate, but certainly not sitting in the skipper's chair.

For Christians, I think Tolle's book has some nice things for extraction, but as a guiding life philosophy? No, not even close.

Fatal Attractions: Why Sex Sins Are Worse Than Others (Sexual Integrity)
Fatal Attractions: Why Sex Sins Are Worse Than Others (Sexual Integrity)
by Jack W. Hayford
39 used & new from $0.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Incisive, hopeful and helpful, September 12, 2006
In my former position I served as publisher of Regal Books, the publisher of this fine book. Though I acquired this book, which was conceived in 1991 over a lunch with Pastor Jack Hayford, I left Regal before the book was published 15 years later! And though I now work for another publishing house, I will quickly and readily recommend this excellent little book for anyone struggling with sexual issues who is committed to breaking free from bondage.

Husbands and single men: This book helps you identify the problem you, a loved one, or friend are dealing with, and gives specific, biblical solutions based in Christ's strength and grace.

Wives and single women: This book will also help those of you struggling with sexual problems, and is also a great resource to give to a friend or loved one in need.

This is not a "pray more and read your Bible more and the probleme will go away" quick-fix book. And though prayer and biblical meditation are keys to sexual healing, the book also offers a sensitive, positive tone and plan for breaking free and becoming who you were intended to be in Christ.

I am thrilled to see this long-time-coming resource finally available to readers everywhere.

Winesburg, Ohio (Bantam Classic)
Winesburg, Ohio (Bantam Classic)
by Sherwood Anderson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $5.95
162 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Perennial, January 10, 2006
An excellent, top-tier collection of classic Americana short stories.

Hemingway's style and ethos were heavily influenced by Anderson, and in reading his stories here (and in The Egg and Other Stories), you will see how and why Papa was influenced by this gifted writer.

For Hemingway fans and others interested in the well-crafted turning of a tale.

Ancient and Medieval Modelling (Modelling Masterclass)
Ancient and Medieval Modelling (Modelling Masterclass)
by Pete Armstrong
30 used & new from $11.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible for the medieval/ancient figure painter, September 21, 2005
I became hooked on miniature figure modelling and painting when I received a 54mm St. Petersberg Roman miniature about six months ago as a gift. Since then, I have discovered a wonderful, relaxing new hobby: figure painting.

As a life-long medieval history enthusiast, I found Armstrong's book to be a great addition to my modest but growing miniature modelling library. While it is true that Armstrong's subject matter is fairly limited to the 13th and 14th centuries in England and Scotland, that is the "sweet spot" of my subject interest. Plus, the principles he relays are transferable - such as a mini-introduction to painting, sculpting and diorama building.

If anything else, you will learn some very cool techniques on creating realistic 13th c. castle walls, textured stones and all!

Well worth the price and the time.

Now Here Is Nowhere
Now Here Is Nowhere
Offered by SourceMedia
Price: $9.79
145 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Disc is very good, live is phenom, October 20, 2004
This review is from: Now Here Is Nowhere (Audio CD)
Throw Zeppelin, Wall of Voodoo and Gang of Four in a blender and voila. Sort of. After hearing the CD I had the pleasure of seeing SM last evening as they opened for Interpol here in Minneapolis. Violent and hypnotic, the talent unquestionably abounds. Having lived through about 5 live performances of Wall of Voodoo "back when," Secret Machines carries the same weight, tension and foreboding power. Their sound is, well, captivating. Personally, I can't say that about too many outfits these days. Worth the cash--on CD and live.

I'll Hold You In Heaven: Healing and Hope for the Parent Who has Lost a Child through Miscarriage, Stillbirth, Abortion or Early Infant Death
by Debbie Heydrick
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
51 used & new from $1.87

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Book for the Situation, October 7, 2004
My wife and I have grieved the loss of 4 babies - three by miscarriage and 1, our son, Joseph, who died at 3 days old. So, unfortunately, I am the heart of the target audience for this book :) I can say that no other book on the subject has helped us as much as this little volume. If you are dealing with the grief that comes from losing a baby, this is a wonderful, comforting book that is biblically based and solid.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3