Profile for Michigirl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michigirl RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Inferno (Robert Langdon)
Inferno (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown
Price: $8.39
126 used & new from $0.83

2.0 out of 5 stars Population growth rant, travel guide, or novel? All of the above (but mostly the first two)., August 6, 2014
Here is how I imagine the emails from Dan Brown's publisher went before this book came out:
1) "Dan, this is just a pamphlet about global population growth! I know it's an issue you care about, but we agreed on another adventure story!"
-- 6 months go by --
2) "Well, okay, Dan, this is more like the type of adventure we expect from you, but it's only 80 pages long. We can't publish a short story; you need to quintuple the length."
-- 6 days go by --
3) "I see you've combined your 300-page tourist's guide to Florence with the novella you sent previously. It's an unusual approach, but our deadline is looming and people will probably buy your work regardless of its quality. Thank you."

Jambu Women's Muse Wedge Pump,Grey,9.5 M US
Jambu Women's Muse Wedge Pump,Grey,9.5 M US
Offered by The Shoe Girl
Price: $55.47
2 used & new from $54.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost great, but weird fit issues make it a non-starter, December 11, 2013
I wanted very much to like these shoes. And the proportions are good - plenty of room in the toe, a good length in my usual size. BUT they are also profoundly uncomfortable due to what may have been a fluke flaw. On one of the shoes in particular, the outer was not attached to the sole on the inside of my arch (it was attached at the base of the shoe, but not near the top where my foot hit). That left a huge gap and meant that the inside arch of the shoe turned into an upsetting bump under my foot, rather than a nice supportive footbed. I hope this was just a mistake on my shoe; I don't think a shoe would ever be designed that way intentionally. I'm wary enough that I won't try again. Too bad - I was excited after hearing great things about Jambus!

BOB Handlebar Console For Duallie Strollers - Black
BOB Handlebar Console For Duallie Strollers - Black
Offered by Dainty Baby
Price: $24.00
6 used & new from $23.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A necessary, but not great, addition to your Duallie, November 6, 2013
A handlebar console is kind of a necessary item for a jogging stroller, and I'm kind of appalled that a $500 stroller would come without one. For those who are transitioning from the single bob, know that this product is really the same as the single stoller handlebar console, with more fabric between the 2 cup holders and middle pocket. There is definitely unused space to add more storage capacity (although, as it is, the console tends to droop in the middle even when not full) - the design is truly "just okay".
Since most people will need a convenient place to put a water bottle and things like keys and a phone, and since I couldn't find a generic or otherwise cheaper alternative to this, I do recommend buying this product if you have the double Bob. I just wish that it either came included with the stroller or was designed more effectively.

Traveling Toddler Car Seat Travel Accessory
Traveling Toddler Car Seat Travel Accessory
Offered by Traveling Toddler, LLC
Price: $13.99
3 used & new from $13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and a lifesaver - and also totally DIY-able, October 14, 2013
Major respect to whoever invented this little gadget - both because it is an incredibly useful idea for getting kids and their carseats through airports and because they are now making making $14 on a product that people could easily make themselves for about a dollar.
Don't get me wrong - I'm glad we bought this and we are grateful for it every time we travel. But if you're even a little crafty, I'd suggest buying a sturdy metal ring at the hardware store and playing with the LATCH system straps on your carseat - at least for our carseat (the maxi-cosi pria), we can pull the top strap over the top of a suitcase and the side straps around the sides far enough that they could all latch to a single ring and accomplish the same effect.

Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Standard Storage Travel Caps Replacement, 3 Pack
Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Standard Storage Travel Caps Replacement, 3 Pack
Price: $2.49
20 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars All bottle lids should be like these, October 14, 2013
These seem like a minor thing in the world of baby gear, but they make pumped milk storage a step more convenient. I don't know why bottle makers seem to think that parents actually use milk storage bottles as drinking bottles, and therefore sell them with 2-piece lids that are prone to leaking. These lids fit any pump-compatible bottle (I use them with ameda, born free, and medela bottles) tightly and save you the hassle and leak risk of the 2-piece lids. I recommend replacing all of your 2-piece lids with these just to save yourself the trouble!

Keen Women's Emerald City Sandal,Slate Black,9.5 M US
Keen Women's Emerald City Sandal,Slate Black,9.5 M US

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine sandal, though not what I hoped for from Keen, October 14, 2013
There is nothing particularly wrong with this sandal . . . it's just that there's nothing particularly right about it either. Based on past experiences (not to mention the price of their shoes), I have high expectations of keens (mostly involving comfort and support), so I was excited to get these. Unfortunately, they're just okay. I do wear them occasionally, but overall I wish that I had sent them back. There is no arch support to speak of, and the ankle strap rotates easily, so that the buckle tends to rub against the back of your heel or in other unpleasant places. All in all, I don't recommend these if you're looking for a sandal to walk any distance in.

Dansko Women's Sandi Ankle-Strap Sandal,Sand Dollar,40 EU/9.5-10 M US
Dansko Women's Sandi Ankle-Strap Sandal,Sand Dollar,40 EU/9.5-10 M US

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly comfortable, May 13, 2013
The key point to make about these sandals is that they are COMFORTABLE. My first thought when I put them on was "holy cow, I didn't know sandals could feel like this!" And this is coming from someone who used to live in chacos and other "sporty" sandals.

I ordered these based on previous good experience with Danskos. I wanted something I could wear to work through the summer - where I need to look professional but also be able to walk up to a couple of miles a day between various sites. The reviews seemed promising, although I was a bit concerned that the look of the shoe was a little old for me (I'm 30). I got a 9.5 in sand dollar. It is true that they don't look entirely young and hip (the gold buckles, in particular, look a little cheap and dated), but they look good enough, and the comfort makes up for anything cosmetically lacking. It helps that platforms are cool right now, so the shape of the shoe doesn't seem too clunky. Compared to the Dansko "Stacie" slip-on, these are more cushioned and more comfortable, which is really saying something. I'm officially a dansko convert!

My Big Girl Bed
My Big Girl Bed
by Karen Langdon
Price: $8.99
24 used & new from $6.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, poor execution, April 23, 2013
This review is from: My Big Girl Bed (Paperback)
Let's start with the positives: Most importantly, our (20-month-old) daughter LOVES this book and consistently chooses it as the first in the bedtime reading line-up. She seems to be fascinated by the pictures of real girls in their beds. I really appreciate that aspect of this book as well and think it should be a more frequent feature of the help-your-toddler-make-transitions genre of kids book.

That said, the picture quality and overall design is pretty poor. The pictures are just home snapshots, and the layout looks like it may have been designed in one of those make-your-own photo album sites. My husband is especially appalled by the photography since he says that just clicking "enhance" in any photo software, without any advanced editing skills, would improve many of the pictures dramatically. I feel bad being so harsh to a book that is clearly homegrown, but since it's being sold on amazon I think it's important to point out.

Overall, I'd say go ahead and buy this book, since it seems to be the only one available with real pictures, which is a fantastic idea. Just don't expect a particularly high-quality product.

Lil Joey 2 Pack All-In-One Cloth Diaper, Lazy Lime
Lil Joey 2 Pack All-In-One Cloth Diaper, Lazy Lime
Price: $29.95
2 used & new from $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossibly cute, impressively effective, October 7, 2011
We got these knowing that it would be slightly frivolous to pay so much for something that would only fit for a few months (they came in a sampler set with some one-size diapers). I have to say, though, I'm glad we did. First off, they are the most adorable tiny diapers you'll ever see. Second, the double gusset - even the tiny one - really does do an impressive job at catching poops. Third, it is nice to have a smaller option to put under tiny-sized baby clothes, which can look/fit a little ridiculous over one-size diapers.

We have 10 of these that we use in combination with our regular stash of Rumparooz one-size diapers. Our gigantic daughter was born at 9 lbs 3oz and weighs 14 lbs at 2 months, so she could wear one-sized diapers right away, and has almost grown out of these at 2 months. From the time she was about 10 lbs, if she peed more than once in them, the diaper would be saturated and leak, so we have used them mostly just at times when we know she'll be changed again soon.

I give them 5 stars because they're great for what they are: newborn sized diapers. If you're really looking to stretch your cloth-diapering dollar to its maximum usefulness, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. But if you want something that will fit even a tiny baby right away, AND will look so darn cute in newborn pictures, this is the diaper for you.

BOB Infant Car Seat Adapter for Chicco Single Strollers
BOB Infant Car Seat Adapter for Chicco Single Strollers
Price: $44.99
15 used & new from $44.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - and a comment on weather protection, September 16, 2011
This is a great product that does exactly what it's supposed to do. The chicco carseat is absolutely secure in this (the slight caveat being that it makes the stroller more top-heavy, so you have to watch out if you're taking the stroller over a curb at an angle - but a basic level of caution makes this no problem). It's also easy to take off and put back on if you need to.
It's important to note that if you're using the carseat adaptor, you can't also use the Bob weather shield. BUT if that's an issue for you, it's also important to note that you don't really need it - the hood of the stroller can still flip outward over the car seat, and when combined with the carseat's hood, you can keep rain, snow, and wind off your baby quite effectively while still allowing them to breathe.

Page: 1 | 2