Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Ohio, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
18 used & new from $72.74

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Improvement, November 21, 2013
I love this over the previous E-ink Kindles - it's quite easy to make highlights (which I tend to do in Bibles and related books), the light is much improved over the 1st Gen Paperwhite with improved technology so that the light is more consistent (instead of those dark splotches at the bottom of the screen on the 1st Gen due to the fact that it's multiple LEDs coming from the bottom).

It's quite a bit snappier with page turns, etc as well.

I can't speak to battery life yet because I've not had it long, but it seems like it will have a close average on the battery life that is so great with all Kindle E-ink readers.

Sportiqe Men's Espn Race Track, Neo Black, Medium
Sportiqe Men's Espn Race Track, Neo Black, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars New favorite, November 21, 2013
I love the vintage look of this shirt, and it's very soft and fits well. I wouldn't pay list price for it, but the current price of $7 is well worth it.

Russell Athletic Men's Fashion Dyed T-Shirt, Black, M
Russell Athletic Men's Fashion Dyed T-Shirt, Black, M

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't complain, November 21, 2013
Bought a couple of these, and for the current price of $3.15 I can't complain. The fit of these is a little looser than a more "fashionable" brand or a "vintage" or "slim" fit, but it fits me just fine. I usually use these shirts to layer other things over anyway. Seems like they're of reasonably good quality for the price too. Will probably buy more.

Angel Soft Bath Tissue, 18 Double Rolls
Angel Soft Bath Tissue, 18 Double Rolls
Price: $13.59
6 used & new from $13.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TP, August 21, 2013
Can't say that I thoroughly enjoy one brand of TP over the other, but I do like Angel Soft over the others I've used like Quilted Northern and Scott. Angel Soft doesn't tear as easily, and doesn't shred into little bits of dust like some TP and facial tissues do.

More importantly, I ordered when I was almost out of TP and hoped for the best - and my order arrived in time. Great work, Amazon, I otherwise would have had quite a mess on my hands. Heh.

Hanes Men's Red Label Comfortwear Knit Boxer MKCBX5 (5 Pack)
Hanes Men's Red Label Comfortwear Knit Boxer MKCBX5 (5 Pack)
Offered by NY Lingerie
Price: $22.30
5 used & new from $22.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, August 21, 2013
I first got Hanes ComfortSoft boxers several years ago, and they were awesome. Solid black and solid navy. No tag, and a stretchy waistband but not the kind that is crinkly elastic and itchy.

I was sad inside each subsequent time I needed more boxers and could not find them in store, because these were the only boxers or underwear of any kind I've ever really liked. All I could find were the new ComfortSoft ones that have the waistband I do not like.

Finally looked online and saw these. Got them today, the colors are kind of ugly (tan with a navy waistband? really?) as the shorts and waistband are mixed and matched instead of being all one color, which I liked on my old ones - but I love the comfort of these.

As a side note, at my time of purchase these are only available through an Amazon seller, so I was a little skeptical - this is underwear after all, and I wasn't sure if I'd receive an opened package or not. But the package came sealed and never opened, and the seller I ordered from used Fulfillment by Amazon on this item so the product package was dry even though the shipping package sat out on my uncovered porch step in the rain all day.

Just ordered another set of 5 from the same seller to put back for when I need more.

Cast My Cares
Cast My Cares
Price: $8.59
55 used & new from $0.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Convicting music from a man with an incredible story, August 17, 2013
This review is from: Cast My Cares (Audio CD)
Let me start by saying I rarely buy a CD. I have Spotify free, and pay for Google Play's unlimited streaming. Almost every album I want can be found on one of these, and I also listen to Pandora quite a bit. This album can be found all three places, yet I spent the money and bought it anyway.

In a Christian music "industry" that is inundated with artists who are only using Christian music as a stepping stone to the mainstream, and/or seem to care more about record sales, radio airplay, and amount of Dove and Grammy awards than spreading the Gospel - Tim Timmons is a breath of fresh air.

Timmons, a family man and cancer survivor, has a fantastic backstory. Look up some interviews on Youtube. That reflects in his music (this is not his first album, by the way - only his first major-label release). This isn't necessarily an album that you can pull out your steering wheel drumset for, but it's one we could all stand to hear. The music itself is very high quality, sincere, believable vocals, soft guitars and piano, catchy rhythms. The lyrics, however, are the main positive of this album. Do yourself a favor and make sure you have the chance to actually listen to the words of this album a few times through when you have the opportunity to actually focus rather than just putting it on in the background.

I tend to call out the standouts on an album in my reviews, but I want to discuss each song.

1. "It's Your Revolution" - This is a song about God's revolution. But not the typical song about what WE are doing, can do, or should do. It focuses on the revolution being God's, and not ours. Fantastic, upbeat tune. 4/5

2. "Starts With Me" - The lead single from the album. It echoes the sentiments of the first song, with the idea that while we all want to be a part of God's revolution and want to do big things and great things - it starts inside ourselves first. We have to be right with God and be with Him constantly in prayer before we can do anything else. It opens with the following verse:

What can I do to leave a legacy?
How can I speak with authority, when I can't see You?
I can't see You
How can I know the dreams You have for me
How do I believe beyond what I have seen, when I can't hear you,
I can't feel You now?

An upbeat piano melody. 5/5

3. "Cast My Cares" - the second single. This one again puts the focus on the Lord - he's the only one strong enough to handle all our burdens and loves us enough to do it. Because of that, we can cast our cares onto Him. 5/5

4. "You Remain" - This one discusses how, after everything we go through, no matter how lost and ashamed we are, He remains. God doesn't leave us alone, no matter what. This one has a slower, melodic, piano-y feel that fits well with the lyrics. 5/5

5. "Christ in Me" - from the interviews I've seen on the web, this one seems to be a favorite of Timmons himself. The concept of this one is not that Christ IS in us - we know that to be true - but what if WE actually believed it? What if we actually believed, and lived as if, the love that hung on the cross, lived in us? Think about that. An positively upbeat tempo rather condemning feel to this one, and with an allusion to "Amazing Grace." 5/5

6. "Let's Be Beautiful" - by far, my favorite song ont he album where lyrics are concerned. The most convicting lyrics I've heard in a while. 5/5, I'll let the first verse do the rest:

Everybody waits for the moment the bride comes out;
Open up the doors and watch her walk down the aisle
Is she lovely?
Is she shining?
Is she looking at the one she loves?

Everybody's watching; what are we all about?
When we open up the doors, is religion all that walks out?
Are we lovely?
Are we shining?
Are we looking at the One we love?
Or is His glory divided because we're looking at ourselves too much?

7. "For Your Glory" - This one is a song filled with a steady, subtle drumbeat. It discusses His glory, and how even the stuff of life that is tough to get through, and hard to fathom, is used for it. 4/5

8. "I Will Follow Love" - This one, musically, has that element that makes it a good song to fall asleep to. The soft guitars, soft vocals, quiet lyrics. 5/5

9. "Great Reward" - this one has almost the feel of a church hymn. The style of the lyrics, the quiet, muted pianos make this one a pleasant, authentic worship song. 5/5

10. "Holy Unafraid" - Much more upbeat than the previous two tracks, but still maintains the overall serious feel of the album, this song is a prayer to the Lord, asking Him to lead the way in our lives, allowing us to be "holy unafraid." 4/5

11. "Only One Standing" - the final track opens with a reference to the house built upon the sand, a man who built his confidence outside of God's will, and has realized what it's done to him, praying to the Lord to "surrender all, and would You let my kingdom fall?" A great tune that serves as a wonderful reminder that we need to keep our own egos/selfish desires in check and let Him do the work in our lives. 4/5

PUR gum Peppermint Gum-Aspartame Free, 9-Count (Pack of 12)
PUR gum Peppermint Gum-Aspartame Free, 9-Count (Pack of 12)
Price: $16.99
17 used & new from $13.76

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but short-lived flavor, August 17, 2013
Depending on time of year, I either talk on the phone or teach in a classroom setting - all day. Both require me to talk all day. In order to avoid the less-than-pleasant breath and the dryness of the mouth that go along with that, there are usually two options: Chew gum, or drink water. Against my dentist's wishes, I chew gum, because if I drank water all day, I'd be spending less time doing my job and more in the men's room.

I almost always chew peppermint, and whatever brand is the least expensive. I'm one of those people who is of the belief that the majority of the products we voluntarily or involuntarily consume could probably cause some type of cancer so it really doesn't make a difference whether I knowingly consume something like aspartame.

That being said, I decided to give pur a try just to see if I could cut out one less thing, especially since I chew almost all day while at work.

After chewing varying brands of sugared, and aspartame-containing sugarless peppermint flavored gum, they all taste about the same to me. pur fits into that category. Where pur fails, however, is the longevity of the flavor. It hits that transition point of "I can't keep this in my mouth any longer because it tastes terrible" that is inherent in all mint gums rather quickly - as in, for me, about 5-10 minutes. The ones I usually chew (5, Stride, Extra) usually take 45 minutes to two hours. I will say that the pur doesn't start deteriorating in my mouth like some of the others do (maybe because I haven't kept it in long enough), but still.

Now, I know that obviously, asking a gum which is neither flavored by sugar or a sugar substitute to carry a long-lasting flavor is asking a lot - but I'd think the manufacturer would have thought about this before selling it.

That said, the flavor itself is fine, which is awesome considering it doesn't contain sugar or aspartame, so if you need a quick refresher to mostly get rid of coffee breath, this does the trick fine. But, the longevity of the flavor and the price prevent me from rating it any higher than 3/5.

Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800
Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800
Price: $69.99
42 used & new from $42.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent battery life, August 14, 2013
Intro
I'd been looking for an illuminated keyboard, but was not really wanting to invest. This one finally got marked down as a Deal of the Day for 59.99, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Battery
I was highly skeptical about the battery life, because I couldn't find it on the detail page. I see now it says 10 days - but I've had this thing for three months, and, using probably a medium setting as far as the brightness of the light, and NEVER switching the keyboard to "off" (well I might have the first few days because I was unsure) - I'm almost positive I've never charged it or plugged it in. If so, I've maybe had to do it once and just forgotten. It's fantastic. I almost thought about keeping it permanently plugged in to prevent having to find the cord and then worry about charging it as the wireless feature isn't a big deal to me - but I have never had the need. Fantastic battery. The battery indicator just dropped the first of the three green bars as I'm writing this, oddly enough.

The Lighting
The illumination on the keys works like this - it's motion-sensored, so if your hands are over the keyboard, the light comes on. Just like an electronic device with a display, the light goes out after a few seconds of nonuse. It seems that when the battery finally did drop one of its 3 bars that the sensitivity isn't there as much - sometimes I have to wave my hand over it for the lighting to appear. But if it's on a full or mostly full charge, it's pretty much impossible for the lighting to turn on if your hand is anywhere near the keyboard. Because it uses a motion sensor, the lighting does not stay on permanently while your computer is on, that means the lighting turns on/off a lot in one sitting. This was slightly annoying at first, but I got used to it quickly.

Compatibility
I'm also happy to report that it works just fine with the Logi unifying receiver that came with my mouse a couple years ago (it comes with its own if this is your first newer Logi accessory), and I'm running Windows 8. I had to download a driver somewhere I think to actually get this to work with the existing receiver, but that wasn't a problem.

The Keys Themselves
The keys are fine, standard size. There are keys that will check the battery life and adjust the brightness. My one complaint is that I wish the majority of the FN keys were dedicated. Most decent keyboards have a dedicated set of buttons for music controls, home, search, etc, so it would be awesome if this one had another row for those.

Overall:
This is an excellent keyboard, by far the favorite of any I've ever owned (I've never had a gaming or ergo keyboard). However, I'm not sure I'd pay the full $79.99 retail price for it just because I'm not the type of person that would spend that much on a keyboard or mouse. If money's not an object for you, you find it on sale, or you just want to treat yourself, go for it.

Kindle Fire HD 8.9", 8.9" HD display, 16 GB or 32 GB, Wi-Fi or Optional 4G LTE Wireless (Previous Generation - 2nd)
7 used & new from $190.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture and sound, February 26, 2013
I am not going to comment on the software concerning lags, freezing, etc. because I have side-loaded apps not meant for the Kindle (not rooted though), and I don't believe it would be fair.

I will instead briefly comment on the picture and audio. The picture is extremely good, especially on the two HD movies I bought to test - "The Town" and "The 'A' Team." If, when contemplating your purchase, you are contemplating skipping out on the HD videos because the quality won't be a big difference (I do that with DVDs compared to Blu-Ray because my eye can't necessarily tell the difference even on a 47" screen), you should reconsider. On the SD videos I bought or already had - "Toy Story 3" and the 2 seasons of "Dark Blue," the quality of the video was not nearly as good. So, if you are planning on sticking with HD videos, this device will be a good buy for you. With HD source videos, the picture is nice and clear. You do get some glare, but it's about the same as with other devices. The HDMI out works fine, I bought an HDMI A-to-D cable and hooked it up to my TV, no big deal.

Now... The sound. Devices claiming to have superior sound are a dime a dozen. This one gets the prize, though - it has the best sound by far of any other tablet, phone, or laptop I have owned (note, I have never owned an iDevice of any sort so I can't speak to that). The "Dolby Surround" is truly great, especially at higher volumes and while watching things such as action movie trailers that are packed with explosions and deep bass. Sound is also decent through bluetooth - I have a Bluetooth speaker and a pair of headphones, and they both perform about as well with the Fire as with as with my other devices.

I hate to say it, but the hype about the wi-fi on this device is mostly that, hype - at least for those of us with regular-speed Internet (DSL/cable) and N-routers. I haven't tried it with a dual band router and FiOS or something equivalent, maybe it would outperform its competition on something like that, I don't know.

The Facebook app for the Kindle is terrible - this is not Amazon's fault, but Facebook's - I feel this is worth noting, since a lot of people would want to use it. The last I checked, Facebook is claiming that they are working on a fix, but I won't hold my breath. Also worth noting that the Fire HD is not flash compatible, meaning that you will not be able to watch a lot of online videos out of the box - again, not Amazon's fault, but Adobe's, as far as I know, Adobe is not providing support for Flash on any new mobile devices.

Again, I have not compared this device against an iPad 3 - but at this price point, if you just want a device to browse the Net and watch some videos, this is a great choice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2013 8:01 PM PST

JVC JLE47BC3500 47-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black)
JVC JLE47BC3500 47-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, February 26, 2013
First off, I wound up getting this TV for roughly $400. I would have given the review 4 stars based on that awesome price, but I want to review against what the actual price point (currently $529) is. My first unit appeared to be an open box, but was promptly replaced the very next day by Amazon.

I'm no videophile, so I wouldn't necessarily be able to distinguish good vs. bad quality unless seeing this one side by side with other sets. For the price, though, I took that chance. I will say that I can see patches of "light leakage" sometimes on black screens under certain lighting conditions - I read that this is normal with most LEDs though, and it doesn't interrupt the viewing of most shows and movies. I can't really judge the TV watching experience accurately, as I live in a fairly rural area and only get 4 HD channels - 3 1080i, and 1 720i that can sometimes be choppy due to signal strength (I don't have cable, so I use an antenna).

When a TV show is actually coming in clearly, or watching a DVD/Blu-Ray, or playing a PS3 game, this video delivers a good picture (again, not a videophile). The thing that really turned me on to how good it was, was watching the intro to Gran Turismo 5 on it. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed racing games until then - beautiful picture.

The sound is also very good for a TV, but I still use a set of surround speakers for most movies and gameplay.

I've found the remote, of all things, to be very irritating - you have to point it exactly in the right place for it to work properly.

Page: 1 | 2