Profile for Emily Robertson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Emily Robertson "TruNorth" RSS Feed (Blaine, WA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Michael Kors Women's MK5216 Chronograph Tortoise Watch
Michael Kors Women's MK5216 Chronograph Tortoise Watch
Offered by ClickaFind
Price: $150.00
21 used & new from $148.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a women's watch, February 22, 2013
It's beautiful, and admittedly feminine looking, but it's NOT a women's watch. Clearly a men's watch, size and heft. Too bad!

Joy of Cooking 1931 Facsimile Edition: A Facsimile of the First Edition 1931
Joy of Cooking 1931 Facsimile Edition: A Facsimile of the First Edition 1931
by Irma S. Rombauer
Price: $24.08
98 used & new from $3.47

5.0 out of 5 stars It's our history., December 27, 2012
How can you rate something like this? It's a glimpse into the past. Read between the lines what it was like to try to make good meals in a 1931 kitchen. We are blessed!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, and it will last forever, December 27, 2012
I was stuck for a wedding gift for a bride who doesn't do much domestic stuff and her registry was... lame, IMO. But she and her groom love cobalt blue, and when I saw this cocotte I thought its beauty might inspire them. I don't think they'll be making bouillabaisse any time soon, but these big cocottes are so useful, in the oven or stove top. This is the second Staub piece I have purchased and again I found the quality higher than Le Crueset -- the interior won't chip and leave you cooking on rusting iron.

Pond Hockey-opoly
Pond Hockey-opoly

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, but the kids will go back to the regular game, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Pond Hockey-opoly (Toy)
They enjoyed taking it out of the box, reading all the different labels, etc. And they played one game. But the original Monopoly is the one they play now.

Staub 3.5 Quart Pumpkin Cocotte, Orange
Staub 3.5 Quart Pumpkin Cocotte, Orange
7 used & new from $149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Whimsy and high quality - the perfect combination!, December 27, 2012
I love cocottes and have a few Le Creusets -- the ordinary round or oval sort. But this beautiful Pumpkin I have been looking at for 2 years and I'm so glad I finally bought it. The interior finish in this Staub cocotte is greatly superior to Le Creuset. Who knew? And the rest of my little pumpkin is top quality, too. The lid fits perfectly, holds steam and all moisture in... and it all looks so magical when it comes to the table!

Tarrago Self Shine Color Dye 25ml. Double #58 Air Force Blue
Tarrago Self Shine Color Dye 25ml. Double #58 Air Force Blue
Offered by Mr. Shoe Care
Price: $11.79
3 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful coverage and finish, July 18, 2012
The folks at the shoe store told me that I could not dye a black shoe to a lighter color, but I decided to try it anyway. To my surprise, the 1st coat of medium blue Terrago dye covered beautifully even though I was putting it on thinly, thinking that a thick coat would likely look pasty on the shoe. I put a second coat on, just following instructions, and it dried quickly and the shoes looked brand new. Then I was worried that the many thin straps of the shoe, especially ones that had to go through buckles, would probably shed their dye or look crinkly or something, but no such thing happened. These shoes just look like they came from the factory blue. I'm totally satisfied with this product, and in fact I am thinking that I will dye a few other leather items -- it's like totally renewing them.

Frugavore: How to Grow Organic, Buy Local, Waste Nothing, and Eat Well
Frugavore: How to Grow Organic, Buy Local, Waste Nothing, and Eat Well
by Arabella Forge
Price: $13.70
96 used & new from $0.56

1.0 out of 5 stars Shallow and disappointing, January 27, 2012
I was so delighted with the publisher's info on this book that I ordered 2 of them, thinking surely they would make great presents for young families I know that are struggling with the challenge of eating well and economically. Unfortunately there is little in this small book that could not have been gleaned from shallow articles in ladies magazines.

For example, the 8 page chapter on keeping chickens spends 2 pages on anecdotal commentary ("..chickens make wonderful pets.."), 1 page on why you should eat eggs, 1 page on choosing your chickens (in which Ms Forge offers much misinformation about breeds, and suggests that you might want to buy $40 or $50 hens -- very frugal!), and then a few pages on what chickens eat (vaguely) and fatuous commentary on roosters. A few references to good poultry books or links to websites would have been far more useful. I would expect a book devoted to frugal living to provide much more information about keeping chickens frugally (not as pets), but Ms Forge doesn't have much to tell us.

If you identified with Julie Powell (of Julie and Julia fame) and her struggle to get a little recognition, rather than Julia Child and her struggle to master the art of French cooking, Frugavore is the book for you!

Scanpan Classic 10-Inch Crepe Pan
Scanpan Classic 10-Inch Crepe Pan
Price: $69.95
20 used & new from $51.97

3.0 out of 5 stars A little underwhelming, March 9, 2011
Compared to my other titanium pans, this one is lightweight and slower to heat up. It is great for crepes, but I don't think we'll use it for much else.

A House Is a House for Me
A House Is a House for Me
by Mary Ann Hoberman
Price: $7.99
156 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, March 9, 2011
I loved reading this book to my children, and now reading it to grandchildren. The poetry is catchy and thoughtful, and the illustrations so detailed and interesting. A perfect book, to my way of thinking.

But I note that my grandchildren do not have the ear for rhyme, or the patience to think about some of the developing themes in the book, and they are not as engrossed in it as I remember children being 30 years ago. Just my experience.

Feeding Poultry: The Classic Guide to Poultry Nutrition for Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks, Geese, Gamebirds, and Pigeons
by G F Heuser
Price: $39.95
38 used & new from $33.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom from an earlier era, October 18, 2010
This book is a product of it's times -- high regard for the scientific poultry research that had been done (as opposed to the observations of experienced farmers), but of course this was prior to the big advances in breeding grain crops or in breeding fast growing chickens, etc. So the info is very useful for farms rearing heritage birds, especially if they want to make their own feed mixes &/or pasture rear the birds. Essentially, this book offers the best info that you might have gotten from an Agricultural Extension Agent in ~1960. Good stuff!

Page: 1 | 2