Profile for Eric B. Wolf > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 215

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eric B. Wolf "Geek of Many Trades" RSS Feed (Longmont, CO, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Isotoner Men's Smartouch Tech Stretch Gloves, Black, Large
Isotoner Men's Smartouch Tech Stretch Gloves, Black, Large
Offered by SilverHooks, Inc
Price: $19.57
5 used & new from $16.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I hadn't thrown away the tags.., February 13, 2014
I am terribly disappointed in these gloves. They fail in every possible. First, the "Smartouch" doesn't work well at all with my Nexus 5. I use a pattern lock on the phone and it takes 10-20 tries to get the pattern right. Second, the glove has sort of "girdles" on the thumb and fingers that I assume are supposed to stiffen the tips for "smartouch" but mostly they cut off the circulation. My fingers got colder than if I didn't have gloves on at all. Third, there is some sort of panel on the back of the glove that feels like cardboard. Finally, while the palm, ring finger and pinky have a nice grippy surface, the rest of the glove is a very slippery fleece making it easy for your phone to slip from your hands.

Monte Carlo MC90BK Flush Mount Canopy Kit, Matte Black
Monte Carlo MC90BK Flush Mount Canopy Kit, Matte Black
Offered by Del Mar Designs
Price: $11.00
9 used & new from $11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked Great!, January 24, 2014
I used this to mount my new Monte Carlo Discus 52-Inch 5-Blade Ceiling Fan. I was originally a little disappointed because the Discus wasn't available as a flush mount. This mount was suggested after I ordered the fan. There wasn't perfect directions but it seemed pretty clear how to mount it. The results are great!

Stant 17591 Keyed Alike Fuel Cap Pack of 1
Stant 17591 Keyed Alike Fuel Cap Pack of 1
Price: $12.65
9 used & new from $9.75

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't fit my Mazdaspeed MX-5, January 22, 2014
I did some digging on Stant's website to try to find a replacement fuel cap for my 2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5. According to some places I found, the cap should have fit. It does screw into the fuel filler tube but the handle is too large to allow me to close the fuel filler door.

Zippo Stainless Steel Wallet
Zippo Stainless Steel Wallet
Price: $45.13
11 used & new from $37.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge & rubber "hinge" makes it hard to slide into pocket, January 5, 2014
Based on the reviews, I had high hopes for this wallet. I ended up returning it right away.

I've had several of the functional but not durable aluminum clamshell wallets. I've also had several leather "front pocket" wallets. This Zippo Wallet was by far the largest. The size becomes more an issue because the black rubber "hinge" makes it really hard to slide into your front pocket. I could probably slide just the metal part into a back pocket, leaving the grippy rubber as an exposed handle for a pick-pocket.

Maybe if I wore really big, baggy jeans and needed something that could stop a bullet... but that's not me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2014 11:23 PM PST

Talking Mr. Hankey Wacky Wobbler
Talking Mr. Hankey Wacky Wobbler
Offered by Gifts-and-Toys
Price: $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun at the office!, January 5, 2014
I bought this for my office. I am a software developer. One of the faux pas common among software developers is to make a change to the code that is so badly broken that it prevents every one else from working. Typically, these changes get committed as the person making the change leaves for an extended vacation. This Mr. Hanky ends up on their desk as an ignominious prize.

The greatest part is watching when the person returns. Initially the comment is,

"This thing is broken. It doesn't talk."

The the person slips out the piece of plastic preventing the battery from engaging and Mr. Hankey cries out,

"Hidee Ho! Hidee Ho! Hidee Ho! Hidee Ho! Hidee Ho! Hidee Ho!"

It never takes long for the piece of plastic to get slipped back into place!

Fit System 66577M Mazda3 Passenger Side Replacement Convex Mirror
Fit System 66577M Mazda3 Passenger Side Replacement Convex Mirror
Price: $54.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpesive and decent fit..., January 5, 2014
I just about ripped the right mirror off my wife's car backing out of the garage. She was quite living. I managed to snap the old mirror back together but one of the axes of the power adjuster was broken.

This mirror is a pretty good fit. The motors work great and I was able to snap the color-matched cover from the old mirror on the new one. If you look closely, it's pretty easy to tell it's not OEM. It doesn't fit flush to the door like the original. The mirror also is more convex which, initially, looks a little odd but it gives a much wider range of view and eliminates blind spots.

Genuine Mazda Accessories 0000-8D-L01 Cargo Tray
Genuine Mazda Accessories 0000-8D-L01 Cargo Tray
Offered by Quirkparts
Price: $81.36
8 used & new from $81.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Real thing... Kind of thin though..., January 5, 2014
We've bought other Mazda mats over the years. This was surprisingly thin. But it fits the Mazda3 perfectly and is strong enough to protect the back of the car.

EH4941LC - Sakkas Womens Wool Blend Foldable Cloche Bucket Winter Hat with Velvet Flower Accent - Gray/One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Sister-in-law loves it!, January 5, 2014
This was a gift for my sister-in-law. She lives in Saskatoon, Canada and wears hats pretty much all the time. This hat hit many marks:

1. Somewhat warm
2. Fits well
3. Looks sophisticated but fun!

LG Nexus 5 D820 16GB Unlocked GSM 4G LTE Quad-Core Android Smartphone w/ 5" True HD IPS+ Multi-Touchscreen - Black
Offered by world-sellers
Price: $388.00
53 used & new from $300.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than my Nexus 4, November 21, 2013
UPDATE: I figured out my slow charging issue. I had the screen display set to a fixed brightness. Setting it to "auto" pretty much fixed the charging issue. Oddly, the phone didn't charge quickly before changing the brightness setting even when the screen was off... Go figure...

I've had my Nexus 5 for about two weeks now. It's been a huge improvement over my Nexus 4. Specifically:

1. I like the "plastic" back. It feels less delicate. The Nexus 4 has a glass back that breaks easily.

2. Not sure if it's KitKat or the new hardware, but the phone is much faster. Apps like Foursquare pop up instantly.

3. LTE FTW!!! I use T-Mobile's $30/month prepaid plan. I got a huge upgrade in bandwidth!

4. Works much better with the Google Nexus Wireless charger. The charging circuit is higher on the back of the phone so the bottom of the phone just touches the desk when charging. No more sliding Nexus!

5. Screen is super bright and sharp as a razor.

6. It's lighter!

Drawbacks:

1. It seems to charge SLOOOOOWLY... especially when waiting to board a long flight.

2. It cost $150 more than my Nexus 4 (but still cheap for an unlocked phone of this caliber).

Lightkiwi A6881 R20 Warm White Dimmable LED Wide Flood Light Bulb - 50 Watt Equivalent
Offered by Lightkiwi
Price: $16.99
3 used & new from $14.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, October 2, 2013
I have some track lighting in my kitchen that is left on 4-8 hours a day. As the old bulbs burned out, I was replacing them with 8W LEDs from Home Depot. Then I had four of them fail simultaneously. The bulbs at Home Depot were $20 each. So I thought I'd try these LightKiwi bulbs. These are actually brighter than the other bulbs and more diffuse. Assuming the reliability isn't an issue, I will probably start buying all my bulbs from LightKiwi.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20