Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale
Profile for Eric B. Wolf > Reviews

Browse

Eric B. Wolf's Profile

Customer Reviews: 254

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eric B. Wolf "Geek of Many Trades" RSS Feed (Longmont, CO, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TRYM II - The Rechargeable Modern Hair Clipper Kit - Ultra-sleek Hair, Body, Mustache, and Beard Trimmer Looks Great in Any Bathroom - AC Adapter, Base Dock, and Trimming Attachments Included
Offered by SKUniverse
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $29.99

2.0 out of 5 stars If Steve Jobs designed a beard trimmer, this would not be it!, December 8, 2015
I bought this trimmer to replace my Philips Norelco Multigroom Pro which stopped working after four years. The TRYM II does come in a box somewhat reminiscent of Apple packaging. It also has a fairly sleek design. But that's about where the similarities end...

This is a cheap shaver with a modicum of visual design applied but no thought applied to the operation. I immediately noticed two issues that, if Steve Jobs made a beard trimmer, he would have done:

1. The charger base is just a piece of plastic that holds the end of the cord coming from the wall-wart. If Steve Jobs had designed this shaver, it would have a charging base similar to the Philips Sonicare Electric Toothbrush. That is, the charger base connects to the device wirelessly and all of the charging electronics are in the base so you use a standard cord.

2. The shaver must be manually cleaned and occasionally oiled. If Steve Jobs had designed this shaver, it would be waterproof so you could just rinse it under the sink, just like my old Philips Norelco Multigroom Pro. If the blades need to be oiled, how about selling replacement blades and making a little more money?

What's annoying is that both of these usability-focused design elements exist in other similarly priced devices found in my bathroom! The TRYM missed the mark. One thing I do like is the TRYM doesn't try to have an adjustable trim height. I cut my beard to the same length all over. Every adjustable trimmer I've had would slip to the lowest level part way through a trim and I'd end up with multiple lengths of whiskers.

Anti Snoring Chin Strap by Cozy Slumber - Helps Stop & Prevent Snoring - Best Anti Snore Remedy - Snoring Aid Device for Stress Free Relief - 100% Satisfaction Guarantee (Large)
Offered by HEALTH SOURCE
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Ineffective, December 8, 2015
It is not uncomfortable to wear but it did nothing to stop my snoring.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2015 9:20 AM PST

Sani Professional Heavy-Duty Hand Wipes
Sani Professional Heavy-Duty Hand Wipes
Offered by Whyknot2011
Price: $10.49
5 used & new from $9.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby wipes for big kids!, December 8, 2015
I am so glad someone thought of this... I'm sure some guy was cleaning his toddler's bottom and thought "These would be great in the garage...and what if we put something like Gojo in them... oh... the need to be a little bigger... and one side needs to be rough so it doesn't just slide around in your hands!"

These wipes won't replace your tub of Gojo but they will get your hands clean enough to go into the house and wash your hands properly without leaving big grease stains everywhere you didn't realize you touched. They also work well if you do some small job that you didn't think you'd need gloves for (like rotating tires). They are also really handy to take to the track or autocross to clean up after tweaking your car between runs.

I don't understand why my local autoparts stores don't carry these. I would buy packages regularly if they did.

G-Force 4290RD Red Torso Harness
G-Force 4290RD Red Torso Harness
Price: $22.99
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps your butt planted..., December 8, 2015
I have used the harness for two autocross days and a track day. I drive a '95 Miata with a stock engine that makes barely 100 horsepower at the wheels at my elevation. I have to make up all my time in the corners because nothing is going to happen on the straights. After a particularly grueling time trial event which required multiple visits to the chiropractor, I decided I needed some help keeping my body in place within the car. I'm not quite ready to invest in a real racing seat and 5/6 point harness, so I bought one of these. I also performed a "foamectomy" on my factory Miata seat.

The torso harness was surprisingly easy to put on. I just looped it over the seat and draped the buckles on the side. Like a regular race harness, the torso harness limits your movement, so be sure to place your helmet and gloves within easy reach. At both the track and autocross, the torso harness did a good job of holding me in my seat. Coupled with my K1 Race Gear Neck Brace, I was able to focus more on driving and less on keeping my butt where it needs to be. With both the torso harness and neck brace, I did feel a little too confined, especially in autocross if I had to execute a 180 degree turn. I couldn't turn my head far enough to see the next turn.

I have always done a twist-lock on my seat belt but haven't tried a CG Lock yet. It's next on the list. Or maybe I should go full race seat...

Orginal Oneplus X 4G Smartphone Android 5.1 Quad Core 2.3GHz 3GB RAM+16GB ROM with 5.0 inch Screen Dual Sim Card (white)
Offered by ilastore-US
Price: $299.99
4 used & new from $285.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade from an original Nexus 5, December 8, 2015
I purchased my OnePlusX directly from OnePlus. They had a deal on Black Friday where I didn't need an invite. Ironically, I got my invite the day my phone arrived in the mail. I believe, right now, December 8, 2015, they are selling the OnePlusX without the need for an invite. Don't buy the phone here. It is $250 from OnePlus.net, which is the only official way to buy the phone.

On to the phone... I bought this phone as an upgrade from my well-used Google Nexus 5 (not the new 5, the original). One feature I really wanted was the ability to use an MicroSD card for memory expansion. My Nexus 5 only had 32GB of RAM, which is not a lot if you are recording video. The OnePlusX only has 16GB internally but I ordered a SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC at the same time I ordered the phone. The phone arrived form China well before my memory card came from Amazon even with Prime (I think it was due to holiday shipping delays).

The OnePlusX is reminiscent of my old Google Nexus 4 with the glass back. The OnePlusX comes with a rubber case. I also ordered the slate-style case. The phone is almost exactly the same dimensions of the Google Nexus 5 just a little thinner (even with the case) and a little more squared off at the corners. The OnePlusX feels more substantial than the Nexus 5 and is only a fraction of an ounce heavier. In terms of form-factor, the OnePlusX is a great replacement for the Nexus 5.

The screen on the OnePlusX (amoled) looks amazing compared to the Nexus 5 (ips). Both phones are 1920x1080 at 5.0 inches diagonal but the amoled screen looks great! Both phones claim to use GorillaGlass 3 but the OnePlusX feels stronger. One of my complaints about the Nexus 5 is that the phone is a little flexible. The OnePlusX is very solid.

The system is a lot more responsive than the Nexus 5 even though my Nexus 5 upgraded to Android 6 and the OnePlusX is still on Android 5.1. So far, the OnePlus extensions (OxygenOS) have been unobtrusive and somewhat handy. The gesture to turn on and off the flashlight when the phone is fully locked has come in handy already. The OnePlusX does have a slightly upgraded processor and 3GB of system RAM compared the the 2GB of system RAM on the Nexus 5.

I haven't used the camera yet but will try to update the review when I do.

CMS 500DL Generation 2 Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor with silicon cover, batteries and lanyard (Mystic Black)
Offered by Med Shop and Beyond
Price: $19.49
2 used & new from $19.49

4.0 out of 5 stars How low can it go as I go higher?, October 11, 2015
Just what I wanted... Now I can check my blood oxygen levels whenever I want. I was surprised when I went to the doctor recently and he measured my Sp02 at 92%. He said that's normal at our elevation (about 5280 feet ASL). So I wanted to check out how much it varies. I may carry this with my on my next high elevation hike (13000+ feet ASL) and see just how low it goes!

Ubiquiti Networks - ERPOE-5 - EdgeRouter POE 24VDr C 1.25A Power Adapter
Ubiquiti Networks - ERPOE-5 - EdgeRouter POE 24VDr C 1.25A Power Adapter
Offered by Pasadena Networks, LLC
Price: $161.90
25 used & new from $127.99

4.0 out of 5 stars How is your route-fu?, October 11, 2015
**** Warnings ****

This router is not for the faint of heart. It is a "professional" grade router at the price point of consumer grade router. You will have to manage each port and write your own firewall rules.

This router does not do WIFI!!! You will need an WIFI access point if you want to replace a typical consumer grade router.

This router has 5 ports but you can only make 3 ports act like a switch without some serious route-fu. If you need more switch ports, buy the 3-port Edgerouter Lite and a separate Gigabit Switch.

Enough of the warnings... This is a fantastic router. I recently was able to get gigabit internet through my city public utilities. My old NETGEAR R6200 couldn't keep up. I was throttled at about 320Mbps down. Plugging the EdgeRouter in place boosted my throughput to closer to 1000Mbps. I put the NetGear in Access Point mode and moved it to a central part of the house. I had it in my office where everything is hard-wired.
Comment Comment | Permalink

VP Racing Fuels 3512 Red Motorsport Jug - 5 Gallon Capacity
VP Racing Fuels 3512 Red Motorsport Jug - 5 Gallon Capacity
Offered by Shop Eddies
Price: $31.96
14 used & new from $27.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the race track!, October 11, 2015
These are great fuel jugs. People ask me where I got it every time I go to the gas station to fill up. I only use these for track days. The race track I go to is about 25 miles from the nearest gas station. They sell "racing fuel" at the track, 100+ octane, for $10+ a gallon. I'd much rather buy my 91 octane fuel for a third that price! I have two of these that I carry with me. In my '95 Miata, that's enough fuel to last a weekend of time trials.

K1 Race Gear 70233089 Black Adult Neck Brace - Neck Protector
K1 Race Gear 70233089 Black Adult Neck Brace - Neck Protector
Price: $35.00
2 used & new from $29.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Save money with your chiropractor!, October 11, 2015
I ended up at the chiropractor after a recent weekend at the track. I really need a racing seat and 5/6 point harness. But for now, this helps immensely. I've used it for a couple autocross weekends. My shoulders were a lot more relaxed and my neck wasn't as tired. I never realized how hard my neck muscles were working.

One drawback of the neck brace is it makes it hard to turn your head more than a couple degrees. This is a problem in autocross if you have to execute a 180 degree turn. You have to wait for the car to rotate most of the way through the turn before picking up the next turn.

OTC 5606 Compression Tester Kit
OTC 5606 Compression Tester Kit
Price: $64.11
30 used & new from $52.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I need in a nice case!, October 11, 2015
I've only been able to check one cylinder in my 1991 Mazda MPV... but so far this kit has been great. The hoses to thread into the head are reasonably long. I was able to thread the hose easier than the spark plug. With the long hose on the gauge, I had a lot of room to play with.

I'm not sure the advantage of the OTC "Deluxe" Compression Tester Kit. This one has everything I need in a nice case!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20