Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Archimedes > Reviews

Browse

Archimedes' Profile

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Archimedes RSS Feed (Seattle)

Page: 1 | 2
Why Bother With Bonds: A Guide To Build All-Weather Portfolio Including CDs, Bonds, and Bond Funds--Even During Low Interest Rates (How To Achieve Financial Independence)
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars straightforward and succinct, November 28, 2014
This books clearly spells out the perspective for investing in bonds. I appreciated the clear simple explanations of the terminology, and the graphs. I feel I understand the role of bonds, and the situations that would call for their use.
I would advise a reader to become equally versed in the equities side of the argument. With bond rates so low right now, if you have a reasonable risk tolerance, the returns on stocks are much higher.

Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters: From the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A rarity - funny and technically detailed., March 23, 2014
It's uncommon to read a book by an expert in the field that serves up the meaty technical details and provides some belly laughs along the way. (He's not afraid to make some cutting comments about the foolish mistakes often make up one of the steps of a nuclear accident.)

Thermos Stainless King 16-Ounce Travel Tumbler, Midnight Blue
Thermos Stainless King 16-Ounce Travel Tumbler, Midnight Blue
Price: $21.99
159 used & new from $15.39

5.0 out of 5 stars I did the experiment. This one beat all the others., August 2, 2013
I tested 5 stainless mugs. Two Trudeaus, the Oxo, and this one. I added 12 oz boiling water to the room temperature mugs in the evening. The next morning, the water in this mug was the hottest, by a full 10 degrees Celsius. The winner!

Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder (Incerto)
Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder (Incerto)
by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Price: $20.52
234 used & new from $0.40

2.0 out of 5 stars This guy is full of himself, May 29, 2013
I was very interested in the ideas in this book, but after reading the Prologue and first chapter, he had ruined his reputation with me. I might have found his sniping at his enemies funny if he had first convinced me they deserved the scorn. Instead, he comes across as an arrogant bully still bitter that he didn't get tenure. This author doesn't want to give me an understanding of the issues, instead he's going to refer to the rest of the thinkers in his field as 'constipated' and 'fragilistas.' I can't trust this fellow to give his story to me strait. Reject.

If you're considering reading this book I highly suggest that you download the Kindle 'sample' and give that prologue a try. In the prologue, he claims that he's so insulting because he's highly ethical, and he claims that he's open to scientific response, not by publishing research papers, but by writing footnotes in his books. If you buy all this, then you'll probably like the rest of the book. I find that type of arrogance annoying and not likely to produce reliable results.

Alone in the Universe: Why Our Planet Is Unique
Alone in the Universe: Why Our Planet Is Unique
by John Gribbin
Price: $20.88
65 used & new from $4.93

5.0 out of 5 stars What makes a good home planet? Are there any others out there?, August 19, 2012
I loved this detailed description of what makes a good home planet. He starts at the big scale and moves in: What parts of the galaxy can host life? What types of stars? What types of planets? It was fascinating from start to finish. I appreciated that this book lacked that common filler of science books for the public: descriptions of the individual scientists, their lifestyles, their appearance, their histories. This book's all meat!
And I think I understand our universe quite a bit better now. It's an amazing place.

HUE Women's Pindot Sock
HUE Women's Pindot Sock

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice socks!, November 16, 2011
This review is from: HUE Women's Pindot Sock (Apparel)
I had to look high and low to find some blue socks. (They seem to have been declared illegal a few years ago.) Amazon has a lot of choices, and I bought these in navy and denim. They are very nice! They fit well, they have a simple pattern, but not too crazy for work. I would buy these again.

A Planet of Viruses
A Planet of Viruses
by Carl Zimmer
72 used & new from $0.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Short, but sweet. Left me wanting more., October 16, 2011
This review is from: A Planet of Viruses (Hardcover)
This book, as noted by other reviewers, is too short. But it was a fascinating, non-technical introduction to the world of viruses. (And it convinced me to spend the following two hours reading the Wikipedia pages on viruses.) He's a very good writer, and his essays don't merely describe each chosen virus in turn, but use them to describe the science of viruses and the huge effect they have on our world. Several fascinating little gems popped up in each chapter.

I do hope he writes a longer version that dives deeper into the microbiology of viruses. I now can see what a wild world it is at that tiny scale.

Long for This World: The Strange Science of Immortality
Long for This World: The Strange Science of Immortality
by Jonathan Weiner
Price: $15.28
94 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars You might like this book if...., April 5, 2011
If you are interested in learning about the science of human longevity, as I was, you will be disappointed in this book. If you are more interested in reading about some colorful characters, the travels of the author, and his meditations on the history (including the poetry and mythology) of the human desire to be immortal, then maybe you will like this book.

I finally gave up on this book in the chapter where he drags his colorful scientist, Aubrey de Grey, back to Ravenna where he had one of his best ideas. The author wants to make a connection between the ancient history of human thoughts on mortality and de Grey's new insight. The idea involves a new way to completely cure cancer. A fascinating approach, and I would have loved to learn more about it. Sadly, the author describes the science behind the idea only briefly before devoting pages to their walk around Ravenna. He prattles on at great length, describing the Basilica of San Vitale, discussing Dante's Divine Comedy, alluding to Yeats poem "Sailing to Byzantium", etc, etc. He also describes how bored and impatient de Grey becomes. The scientist doesn't care about the history. He cares that we're really figuring it out now. And so do I!

The Night of the Gun: A reporter investigates the darkest story of his life. His own.
by David Carr
Price: $13.83
146 used & new from $0.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Truth and memory: The standard by which I'll judge every other memoir I ever read., March 15, 2010
I couldn't put this book down. It became my own little addiction for the duration. He's a great writer, as to be expected from such a successful reporter.

His technique of treating his own memory with skepticism rings true. His approach: digging up and presenting the evidence, provided a fascinating depth. I never want to read another memior that doesn't use this technique. With memoirs I'm looking for the real story about how lives are actually lived. Not only does his technique help prevent the infamous "James Frey embellishment syndrome", but it shows us how modified the memory of one's own life becomes.

The Art of Genes: How Organisms Make Themselves
The Art of Genes: How Organisms Make Themselves
by Enrico Coen
Price: $31.95
50 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Art analogies didn't work for me., January 23, 2010
I found the art analogies did not lend clarity, and in the end, I skipped past as many of them as I could. If you are very interested in art, and less about the details of molecular biology, you may like this approach.

Page: 1 | 2