Profile for Douglas Schifter > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 137

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Douglas Schifter "food maestro" RSS Feed (Thornhurst, Pa. USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Ken Burns: The Roosevelts - An Intimate History Season 1 [HD]
Ken Burns: The Roosevelts - An Intimate History Season 1 [HD]
DVD
Price: $39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Last episode error, May 9, 2015
Loved this but the last episode from the time of fdr's pssing to Eleanor's the video was wrong. Showing footage from a previous episode with audio from the current one. It was a critical error at an important passage. Otherwise five stars. This was seen as a streaming event on Amazon. It may be their error not on the physical dvds

Schumacher SE-4022 2/10/40/200 Amp Manual Wheeled Battery Charger and Tester
Schumacher SE-4022 2/10/40/200 Amp Manual Wheeled Battery Charger and Tester
Price: $139.99
11 used & new from $139.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Assembly hardware and instructions poor, May 6, 2015
This charger came with more screws than it was supposed too. The instructions tell you to remove screws from the body of the charger then place the handle and return the screws. The problem is the screws that were to be removed then reinserted were missing. The present holes are too small for any of the screws included. The brackets for the wheels which the instructions said to be careful not to drop into the unit had one fall in. The entire minor assembly which isn't much was a hassle. I now have a charger without a handle or wheels. This did not have to be such a project. It was just done too cheap. Considering there are many chargers out there I cannot recommend this one.

Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ
Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ
Price: $249.95
40 used & new from $222.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Breville's usual quality, April 22, 2015
This review is about the quality of the oven manufacture rather than how it works. I have not used it but got a bad impression just taking it out of the box. I will review it later on based on how it functions. My usual test in quality is checking out the controls. I paid high prices for two other Breville appliances and was greatly impressed by the smart grille and the juice fountain duo. The two knobs on the grille are the highest quality and I consider commercial grade. Here with the smart oven, the knobs are cheap and flimsy and typical of cheap Chinese manufacture that is not of quality. This oven is Breville priced on the high side but in this case not Breville standards when it comes to manufacturing. Even though the other appliances are also Chinese manufacture they are better made. I do not have good vibes on the quality of the oven. The cheap knobs feel like the oven controls will fail. I will find out soon and update. If I saw this in a store and checked it out physically first, I would not buy it because of the cheesy knobs alone.

Breville BJE820XL Juice Fountain Duo Dual Disc Juicer
Breville BJE820XL Juice Fountain Duo Dual Disc Juicer
Price: $399.95
29 used & new from $279.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent juicer...Bravo Breville, April 13, 2015
I have owned almost every juicer out there from the juiceman to jack lalanne to the $2600 Norwalk juicer. When I had a cancer issue and I needed to return to juicing after a long hiatus I went to the Norwalk because it was a hydrolic press juicer for the premium quality juice. It was really well made here in the U.S. But the design left a lot to be desired. I sold it and bought a jack lalanne which I used before and had no complaints really. Jack lalanne changed the design of the juicer and made it inferior to the previous models. It was real difficult to remove the cutting blade/basket. On one I gave as a gift it would not come off at all. I never really considered the Breville because I thought the price was too high for a centrifugal juicer. After buying another Breville appliance (smart grille) and experiencing the quality of their design and materials I decided to return the jack lalanne and go with this Breville.
I did my first batch of carrot juice today and was very impressed. First impression was of the quality of the materials and the speed control knob which is adjustable from a slow speed of one for leafy greens and such to a high speed of five for most crisp veggies and fruits. The top of the unit has a high quality of clear plastic which is glasslike in appearance. The pitcher that comes with the unit has a froth separator for high amounts of froth which can be generated. This juicer has been reported by other reviewers that it spit out chunks of whatever it is juicing. This is true to a point. Although the centrifugal type juicers are alike in design for the most part the Breville shoots out the pulp at a greater force than most. The jack lalanne which is very close in design but not as well made gets clogged frequently just under the top of the unit as the pulp eventually fails to make it all the way to the final receptacle and clogs up. The Breville does not appear to have that problem due to the force with which it ejects pulp. This is where the spitting of pulp comes from. The pulp was a little moist but not overly so. It was comparable to most other juicers except for the Norwalk which is a press and not centrifugal. However the greater efficiency of the Norwalk is offset by disasterous splattering that sometimes coats your entire kitchen. For a centrifugal juicer the Breville is pricy but you are getting your monies worth. I did have extensive staining from the carrot which happens to every centrifugal juicer but the brush which is included did remove most of it. If they made the top out of glass it would be better. I am very happy with the purchase so far. Breville it appears is setting a standard in small appliances for quality made (even if it is made in China) products with near commercial quality for the home. Bravo Breville. Top recommendation here.

Breville BGR820XL Smart Grill
Breville BGR820XL Smart Grill
Price: $299.95
33 used & new from $217.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Best small appliance ever, the King of electric home grills, March 13, 2015
this heavy duty well made grill is probably the best small appliance I have ever run across. I am amazed at the quality Breville has put in here. It is commercial grade quality but for household use. It heats up to 450 degrees on a gradual dial allowing for ten degree increments. The easy to clean grill plates have built in heating elements and there are two types. One is flat for making eggs or pancakes or such and the other is slotted for steaks and burgers etc. I bought an extra of each so I can have two of the same on at the same time. I suggest you do as well. The dials are of good construction as is the entire appliance. The adjustable top also folds flat for convenience when cooking so you can double the surface cooking area if need be. The drip tray is also well thought out for easy access and cleaning. There is a rear notch to drain off fat but you slide out the tray which runs front to back from the front. No awkward effort needed to clean. This device is heavy too. Beware if you have trouble lifting. There is a timer device but I don't see that of much importance as you will likely be supervising anything you are grilling at the time. It is obvious that Breville has used much thought in the design of this wonderful King of electric grills. If the heating element burns out ever on a plate it is easy to replace with no service required. These plates snap out with ease. Bravo Breville. Highest recommendation here on this versatile and quality grill for the home.
Update..I was doing bacon on the grill with a flat bottom and ridged top. I figured the ridged top would act as a bacon press and it did keeping the bacon straight and flat but I had it a bit too hot at the 450 setting. The bacon cooked so fast I was unprepared and got shocked when I lifted the top. It may take some adjustment to both top and bottom together cooking faster than expected. Be prepared for faster cooking times than usual. When using for the first time cooking a type of food you should check it often.

1,000 Foods To Eat Before You Die: A Food Lover's Life List
1,000 Foods To Eat Before You Die: A Food Lover's Life List
by Mimi Sheraton
Price: $16.98
85 used & new from $12.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Number two on my 1000 dishes to eat. Saveur's new classics is better., January 15, 2015
I ordered this book on the title and author's reputation. I started reading the kindle version and realized this basically just a list. There are resources for where to get recipes and ingredients but when you get down to brass tacks it is just a list. It does say at the end of the description it is a list but I thought it was a list with recipes. This book is listed with cookbooks. It is not a cookbook. You can research online most of what is here. It may take a few minutes but i do not feel the price of the hardcover book is worth it. Mimi does have an extraordinary knowledge of food origins and other facts. It does make a good read but the physical book is too pricy for a book lacking the recipes. If the recipes were in with the list then it would really be outstanding but they aren't. All the kudos from the famous chefs are basically not without prejudice. These folks all know the author and may owe favors as they are from the industry she promotes or did promote. They are biased in her favor and it seems a bit tacky that these recommendations are being used to sell the book. I cancelled my hardcover order after reading part of the kindle version and not because of the recommendations. I may order the kindle version as the price is more reasonable and this is not a cookbook which needs to be hanging around for me.( I do not use my ipad for cookbooks as i do not trust an electronic device for that purpose. Electronic devices fail and run out of power and cookbooks do not). I would say the best resource for 1000 great dishes AND has the recipes is the new cookbook with 20 years of the best recipes from all over the world from Saveur Magazine. There are 1000 RECIPES and it is not a list. It is about the same price too (hardcover). 1000 foods to eat is nice reading and I do appreciate the effort made by the author but i really want recipes to go with the dishes not where to look for them. I can do that without the book. I will add that this book is better organized with information than New Classics but if you really want the hands on recipe resource New Classics is a better book. In fact Saveur appears to be the authors most frequent reference for the recipes of the foods in this book. Why not just get the book with the recipes? New Classics is an outstanding recipe resource for great food from around the world. It may be what you are really looking for. I recommend buying the cheaper kindle version of this list and the hardcover of the New Classics and you will have a nice combination.
Update:
I did get the kindle edition which is worth the price. This is a good book to read for list value but not at the price of the other additions so kindle was where I made my purchase. If this book had the recipes with the list it would be a solid five stars but since it doesn't I reduced my rating because of the price of the physical books and the lack of recipes.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2015 10:46 AM PST

Aluminum Pans for the 12V Portable Stove - Pack of 3
Aluminum Pans for the 12V Portable Stove - Pack of 3
Price: $3.75
8 used & new from $3.56

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small and too expensive, January 6, 2015
Outrageous price for too small pans. Look in my reviews for proper sized pans that will cost you about 35 cents apiece not over a dollar like here. Yes, you will have to buy a case of 200 but you will save a ton of money as these run three to four times the per pan cost.

Full Sheet Sushi Nori Kan Seaweed Container Red #NC-4
Full Sheet Sushi Nori Kan Seaweed Container Red #NC-4
Offered by LUCCA
Price: $34.50
4 used & new from $34.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Grossly overpriced cheap tin box...ripoff do not buy, December 15, 2014
This is a red version of the black one I bought. It is made of the thinnest tin that is barely stronger than aluminum foil. I doubt it is worth more than five dollars. I have had better cookie tins that were twice as strong as this. Do not buy.
I do not recommend this ripoff.

Full Sheet Sushi Nori Kan Seaweed Container Black #NC-2
Full Sheet Sushi Nori Kan Seaweed Container Black #NC-2
Offered by LUCCA
Price: $39.95
3 used & new from $39.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap tin box..do not buy, December 15, 2014
Grossly overpriced cheap tin box. I expected a classy japanese box but it is a cheaply made thin piece of tin. It is not worth more than $5 or so give or take a few dollars. I have gotten cookie tins twice as strong and better than this ripoff. Do not buy.

Getting There
Getting There
Price: $14.03
17 used & new from $4.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues Crack, December 15, 2014
This review is from: Getting There (Audio CD)
Quinn Sullivan's album is a solid effort and he shows a formidable talent at this early stage of his life. I cannot help being caught up with track number 5 mislabeled here but it is Mr. Gloom. It is what I would call a monster track as it is the best new music I have heard in longer than I can remember. I may go deaf on it happily i might add. I just can't stop playing it.. Very addictive. Mr. gloom is the Bomb here. It is worth the price of the album by itself. Made me go out and buy front row seats for his june 5th appearance at the iridium in ny. MR. GLOOM = BLUES CRACK for blues lovers. Warning you may not be able to stop playing it. I know it has got me. HELP!
Mr. Clapton step aside for the new Crown Prince of the Rockin Blues. Quinn has every appearance of being a GREAT ONE. I will be following with anticipation his music. I wish he would stretch some of his tracks as he can do a jammin style of blues guitar. Wow.

Update: somebody is going to have to start a twelve step program for people addicted to Mr. Gloom. Have mercy!
Seriously...the more i listen to the album the more I like it. Except for cyclone all the tracks are to my liking. Even though his voice is still not fully developed it doesn't matter as the boy can sing most definitely. B B King can't sing like he did 50 years ago, Eric Clapton can't sing too well either and Bob Dylan couldn't carry a tune if he had a crane.... Quinn sings well and with backup does a good job. It is what it is. This is a great album. It has gotten under my skin so to speak. Hail, Hail the new Crown Prince of Guitars!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14