Profile for Peach > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Peach RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Ladies 12 Pairs Summer Ankle Low Cut Invisible Blank Solid Plain Socks Black
Ladies 12 Pairs Summer Ankle Low Cut Invisible Blank Solid Plain Socks Black
Offered by TRENDSup Collection
Price: $12.49
3 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good socks, July 21, 2014
They're thin, and that's exactly what I wanted for summer. Nice soft material too. Good price.

2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Guide to Churning Out Books, June 27, 2014
My favorite part about this book is how blessedly short it is. No waxing on and on about the 'art of the craft' or 'what it means to be a writer.' Just great advice, delivered in a straight forward manner. Thank you!

The War of Art
The War of Art
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, June 21, 2014
This review is from: The War of Art (Kindle Edition)
I admit that the book started to lose me when it brought up angels and muses, but there's a lot of great advice in here to help struggling artists.

Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
Price: $5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to see here, December 7, 2013
This is a long book about nothing. The sample is about 50 pages long. In these ~50 pages, I read the chapters:

Boring Life Story 1
Boring Life Story 2
The Book's Voice (Wtf?)
Fiction vs Nonfiction (I know this.)
Prefatory matters (The previous 4 chapters aren't prefatory?)
Who we are (Because that wasn't covered in the first 2 chapters)
Who we think you are (Because I might need their help determining whether or not the book is useful to me)
Terms You Should Know (Ah, useful content at last!)

And finally, the sample ends on a section titled 'What's Coming Next.' Apparently they forgot.

Maybe there is some awesome advice in this book. I'll never know. All I saw was 50 pages of pointless drivel that should have been covered in 10. The only useful content in this book seems to be the title.

Write. Publish. Repeat.

Thanks. I'll give you a star for that.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2014 9:26 AM PDT

Dreaming Beyond Gaia (Our Forgotten Fathers Book 1)
Dreaming Beyond Gaia (Our Forgotten Fathers Book 1)
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Complex world, interesting quest, but lacking characters, November 15, 2013
Gaia is a beautifully told story about a band of heroes sent into the mountains. The setting is a dream-like lush forest with hints of beasts lurking in the shadows. Our heroes have to watch their step. One mistake could cost not only their lives, but the lives of their families and loved ones as well.

My favorite moments from the book (no spoilers):
Ann caring for Isaac after an initiation ceremony.
Ann kicking a bear in the face.
Cave spelunking in creepy darkness.
Bandits!
Zeke killing bad people without hesitation and emotional backlash. (Regrets are for the weak, go Zeke!)
Tom's decision.
Charlie's story.
The troop's fascination with lost technology.

Parts I didn't like:
Thinking and talking about the quest. I'd rather they were actually DOING the quest instead.
There's a super nasty shapeshifting dark wizard who introduces himself as...'Steven.' Total mood killer, see?
Repeatedly being told that the forest is dangerous despite all evidence that the woods are actually safe, relaxing, beautiful and fun. There's a one-page bear scare and a three-page tumble down a steep hillside--that's as dangerous as the forest gets. (Steven doesn't count as a danger because all he does is talk.)

The reason I took two stars off the review:
The characters have really cool traits and talents, but their personalities are flat. Poor Isaac got the least development of all. He's nice. He's handsome. And the most interesting thing about him is that he hangs out with people way more special than he is. Our heroes seem to share a hive mind because they don't have any personal fears, hopes, or ambitions separate from the quest.

All of that being said, Adam Osterkamp has created a world of old technology and primitive fantasy that will enchant many. Gaia is diverse, alive, and gorgeous. I will buy the next book, but the characterization will have to improve for me to stick with the series. Hopefully the second book comes out soon but not TOO soon. I want to see these characters grow into believable people that I can care about.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2013 6:45 AM PST

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2)
Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2)
by Suzanne Collins
Price: $12.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but with flaws, February 27, 2012
There are two big flaws in this story.

1) The characters have absolutely no sex drive despite the fact that they are teenagers sharing the same bed. Apparently, graphic violence is fine for a young reader but the slightest sexual desire is not.

2) Choosing a romantic partner is harder for Katniss than deciding to kill a fellow schoolmate who once fed her when she was on the brink of death from starvation. Katniss is such a strong, fierce warrior. Yet, in this book she whines and swoons and wallows in self pity from cover to cover.

There are some other things, but those two flaws are the ones that make this book less than what it could be. After Hunger Games I rushed to buy the next two novels because I simply couldn't stop reading. Now the third is sitting on my shelf, but I will take a little break before I pick it up.

Tetra 29008 Waterfall Globe Aquarium
Tetra 29008 Waterfall Globe Aquarium
Price: $34.99
22 used & new from $30.72

5.0 out of 5 stars After Modifications, Snowball Loves It, January 2, 2012
This is a beautiful little fish tank. I got it for my white betta fish, Snowball.

The filter is silent but the current is too strong for a betta. I fixed this with a filter baffle. If you aren't sure what that is, check out the customer images. With the baffle installed, my betta can swim right under the current and barely be pushed down.

The LED lights on this thing are way too bright. This fish tank alone can light up my entire kitchen. So I took some black tape and covered up all but the middle two lights. This way, the light is dim enough that I can leave it on all the time. At night, the tank has a soft moon glow. During the day, I can easily admire him from across the room. Snowball looks great under the glare of all those LEDs, but he is far more active with natural lighting.

In the end, I highly recommend this tank for betta fish ONLY if you make a few adjustments. Otherwise, this will make your fish's life stressful and short. I am still giving it five stars since the modifications take less than 10 minutes.

Oh, one more thing...

Please don't put goldfish in here. Even a tiny goldfish needs at least 10 gallons.

What Does Somebody Have to Do to Get a Job Around Here! 44 Insider Secrets and Tips that Will Get You Hired
by Cynthia Shapiro
Price: $12.08
128 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, Buy it, April 22, 2011
I read this book before I started my job search. So sadly, I can't provide any insights to how I would have done without the Shapiro's help. But I can say that I think it would have gone very poorly.

Before Shapiro:

My cover letter read like a letter. It was professional and written in a straight forward manner, but it also had long sentences and big blocks of text.

My resume read like a book. And the word "I" appeared all over it. Seriously, I doubt I would have gotten a single call with that thing.

I'm a very open, honest person. I know that I would have fallen for any of the traps to reveal personal info. I've only been on five interviews, and three of the interviewers tried to trick me (I think). One started talking about how her boyfriend liked to call and text her at work and how sweet that was. Two talked about their demanding kids and one of these also talked about all the office pranks they liked to pull in their workplace. Without Shapiro's book, I would have been completely unprepared to deflect these statements.

After Shapiro:

My cover letter has a single opening sentence that tells what job I am applying for. After that I highlight my three most valuable qualities. Below that I have a closing sentence and then my name.

About 50% of my resume was cut and pasted into a document called "Interview Success Stories". I left only the very best stuff. I made bullet lists and bolded a couple flashy things.

If the interviewer mentioned anything personal, I did not respond in kind.

I came to the interview prepared for anything, even those curve ball questions. I had my success stories ready to go and felt more confident for it.

Results:

I got a job! Granted, not a fancy one. I am a recent college graduate, so I was shooting for an entry level position. I job hunted for only three weeks and went on five interviews. In my small city / large town, jobs are scarce. Many of my friends take two or three months to find minimum wage jobs at department stores. I am shocked that I got hired so quickly. It could just be luck. But even so, I interviewed for five out of six applications. That's pretty darn good, and I credit Shapiro for my success.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2012 8:15 PM PST

A Discovery of Witches: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy)
A Discovery of Witches: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy)
by Deborah E. Harkness
Price: $19.85
87 used & new from $5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but not for me, April 15, 2011
I couldn't finish this book. I didn't even make it to the middle before I set it down for good. It's just so sloooow.

A lot of things have happened in the beginning so far. The witch girl finds a creepy alchemy book. We meet a sexy, protective vampire. Vampire breaks into the witch's bedroom. Witch has her own personal dilemma on top of the events.

Yet, all of these events are told in the most boring way possible. Paragraphs are wasted on mundane activities. I know way too much about the witch's workout routine and not enough about the mysterious evil force that should have showed up long before now. I read about the witch going on a coffee date with the hunky vampire, and all they do is talk about back story. No emotion, no romance, no suspense, no excitement, no reason at all for me to keep flipping pages. I finally put it down for good when the book began to detail the witch's yoga class.

Yes. There are several pages dedicated to a single yoga class. Why would a book with so many cool elements waste a chapter on workout routines and yoga? This befuddles me.

I gave the book 4 stars anyway. This author's writing style does not mesh with what I enjoy reading. Yet this book has many good aspects too. For one, it is well written. The setting is cool. I loved the main character. She is interesting and strong, which I highly value. And I'm sucker for mythological / alchemy / magic type stuff.

But this book and I aren't made for each other. The author's writing style is the exact opposite of my reading style. I read through 8 chapters of back story and daily activities with tidbits of interesting stuff sprinkled in. If a rich, slow paced novel is your thing, you will love this.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
by Amy Chua
Price: $17.30
434 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, March 29, 2011
Many quotes in this book were taken out of context. If you actually buy the book and read it, you will find that those terrible quotes were actually tongue in cheek. That being said, the content of the book is still shocking for most of us.

My parents were nothing like Amy Chua. They were exact opposite, letting me do anything I wanted. They were hands off rather than hands on. I still did very well, got As in school and the like. However, I know that I would have done much better if I had a mother like Chua standing behind me. I almost wish I did.

On the other hand, a mother like Chua would drive me away if she insisted that I play an instrument I didn't want to play. An important lesson that I found in Chua's book is that you should push your children to succeed in their goals instead of your own. Chua's oldest daughter wanted to learn the piano. That's why she excelled. But her younger daughter had other interests, which was apparent as early as three years old. The book is about the tiger mother method succeeding and failing with these two children. Had the younger daughter wanted to learn the piano or the violin, I believe Chua's parenting style would have helped her match her sister's achievements.

I strongly recommend reading this book. Despite the fights and the conflict, I felt a lot of love in the pages.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2011 11:07 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2