Profile for Eugene B. Seigal > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eugene B. Seigal RSS Feed (Bend, OR United States)

Nudge It Up A Notch
Nudge It Up A Notch
Offered by insomniacsonline
Price: $8.08
44 used & new from $3.60

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Musicians...Not a Great Album, October 30, 2008
This review is from: Nudge It Up A Notch (Audio CD)
I read that there was a new album by two of my all - time favorite musicians - no brainer - I bought it without so much as listening to samples. I don't regret my rash decision, but unfortunately the CD did not meet my expectations.

Cavaliere still has all the soul in his voice. Cropper still plays some of the tastiest licks that will ever hear emanate from a Telecaster. The problem is that the material is weak. The liner notes mention that they wrote the songs over the course of a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, that is the way the tunes sound, particularly the sophomoric lyrics.

I am not saying don't buy this album, but don't expect much from it if you do. If these guys tour together I will be the first in line for tickets. They are both amazing talents and compliment each other very well. Maybe they just needed a little more time locked in the room writing songs. A little extra time in the studio wouldn't have hurt either. I would still throw my luke warm feelings about the album out the window if I had the opportunity to see them together on a stage.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2009 3:06 PM PST

Dwight Sings Buck
Dwight Sings Buck
Price: $9.72
41 used & new from $3.79

2.0 out of 5 stars It Doesn't Work, May 31, 2008
This review is from: Dwight Sings Buck (Audio CD)
I love Buck. I like Dwight. I know that Dwight idolizes Buck. So why doesn't this album work? Really - somebody clue me in. I know that Dwight tried to add his personal touch to each song. Maybe that was the problem - the yodel - hiccup doesn't make the song better, just annoying. Maybe it is because the two of them sound great seperately and as a duet....hearing Dwight without Buck doing Buck's material doesn't feel or sound right.

I wanted to like this disc - gave it several listenings in attempts to do so. It still leaves me flat. Sorry Dwight - nice try. I respect your respect for the master - the great Buck Owens, but let him rest in peace. Buck will always be Buck and Dwight will continue to be Dwight....Dwight needs to continue finding his own muse. He will continue to provide us with great music. This disc just isn't it.

Crossroads: Eric Clapton Guitar Festival 2007
Crossroads: Eric Clapton Guitar Festival 2007
DVD ~ Eric Clapton
Price: $22.99
14 used & new from $10.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy It, February 8, 2008
It's worth the price if only to see the outstanding performances featuring Derek Trucks. He is all over the place on this DVD. How a young guy like him developed such amazing chops is. well, unworldly.

Jeff Beck's performance is nothing short of awe inspiring. Many of the world's finest guitarists consider Beck the master. Watch this and you will know why. And who is that young gal playing bass? She matches Beck note for note - not an easy task for any player, let alone someone who appears to be little more than a teen, maybe a young adult.

And then there is Steve Winwood. He is always a pleasure to watch and listen to. He hits it off well playing the Blind Faith material with Clapton, but he really shines on perhaps his greatest work - Dear Mr. Fantasy.

That brings us to Clapton. Much credit goes to the man for assembling such a great group of players to support a worthy cause. Unfortunately, his performances come up a bit short. It seemed like he was trying very hard, maybe too hard to keep up with the young guns in his band,((Trucks blows him away every time they play a number together). Maybe it's just over-exposure. There is no denying that he is one of the guitar greats, but he is starting to sound stale. Maybe it's just because rock and blues are great, but limited forms of music. There is only so far that Clapton or anyone can stretch it. Compare Jeff Beck's performance to anything Clapton does on this DVD and you will understand what I am saying.

Overall, a good DVD, certainly worth owning. Unfortunately, I find my self hitting the skip button on the remote a little too often.

The Cannabis Cookbook: Over 35 Tasty Recipes for Meals, Munchies, and More
The Cannabis Cookbook: Over 35 Tasty Recipes for Meals, Munchies, and More
by Tim Pilcher
Price: $12.57
39 used & new from $6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm Hmmm Good, February 8, 2008
Hmmm Hmmm good. Fine cannabis recipes from the basics for newcomers to those who have mastered the art of cannabis cuisine. Being a person somewhere in the middle, it has opened new horizons. Pastries are great, but stretching into the realm of home cooked entrees broadens one's culinary experience.

Of note - I have a chronic disabling physical condition . I am a medical marijuana patient, recognized by my state of residence as a person allowed to posses and consume cannabis products. Those not in a position to legally consume cannabis products read this book at their own risk. The recipes alone will give you the munchies. Just another example of the insanity imposed by some government agencies to keep people from consuming the medically and psychologically sacred herb. A person should not be required to have a physically disabling condition in order to legally eat a brownie.

After Midnight: Kean College 2/28/80
After Midnight: Kean College 2/28/80
19 used & new from $39.46

4.0 out of 5 stars I've Heard Better, August 26, 2007
I have been a Dead, particularly a Garcia fan since the 60's, but would never consider myself a "Deadhead". I think that all too often the ardent followers let their deadication get in the way of a reasonable assessment of the music. I bought this CD because I was in the mood for some Garcia solo work, something I often find more enjoyable than listening to the Dead. This particular album had good reviews, mostly from people who appear to be ardent Deadheads. It was primarily these reviews that led me to choose this CD above the many others in Garcia's catalog.

Maybe it was the back up band - too much synthesizer with tunes that would have been better served by a B-3. The liner notes made mention of having the opportunity to hear Garcia handling the rhythm as well as the lead guitars. Guess what? It doesn't work. Overall, it sounded thin.

This isn't said to take away from the many things that are enjoyable on this album. Garcia is in good voice, hitting his idiosyncratic style without the notes going sour. His guitar lines are melodic and fluid, ( but would have benefited from a more solid backing...see above). I would have liked to have seen some more Garcia original tunes included in the repertoire, but the covers were a good mix. While I enjoyed listening to all of the tunes, I found that "After Midnight / Eleanor Rigby Medley" was the only stand out.

So, I am happy with the album and it's had some frequent listening, yet I still can only give it four stars....and that is stretching things a bit. If you are an ardent Deadhead, hit the order button now. You will surely enjoy the results. But, if you aren't a fanatic and simply enjoy Garcia's music, you may want to take a pass on this one. There are better things in his catalog.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2014 2:26 PM PST

Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby
Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby
Price: $7.99
46 used & new from $2.77

3.0 out of 5 stars It Could Have Been Better, May 6, 2007
I saw Skaggs and Hornsby on a televised concert, I believe broadcast on CMT. It was great. The chemistry, fine musicianship, ( lots of credit goes to the back up band - Skaggs's crew, the Kentucky Thunder) and a good mixture of tunes made for a memorable performance. This left me with a great sense of anticipation for the album release, enough so that I pre-ordered it, something I seldom do.

The first listening left me cold. The first number, the sort of humorous ` The Dreaded Spoon" was a catchy tune, but easily forgettable. Nothing much going on after that until the fourth cut, a stunning version of Hornsby's " Mandolin Rain". I was hoping that things would pick up from there, but nothing grabbed my attention until the final cut, "Super Freak". This was due more to the novelty of hearing a Rick James classic being performed in a bluegrass style than to the actual enjoyment of the song.

First listenings are never a good way to form a judgment. I made subsequent repeated listenings hoping that I missed something the first time around. While I became more comfortable with what I was listening to, it still didn't grab me, particularly since I had such high hopes about the pairing of these two fine musicians. Why wasn't I enjoying this CD nearly as much as I did the TV special? After thinking it over for a while I came to some conclusions:

- The CD doesn't project nearly the energy of the live performance. Yes, this can be a common malady, but it doesn't have to be, ( example - the Allman Brothers recorded some classic live concerts, but the studio versions of the songs hold their own).

- Skaggs and Hornsby have similar voices. Some individuality could have been achieved through a better recording mix.

- Most of the songs just aren't very strong, not particularly memorable.

- Hornsby's uniquely, instantly identifiable piano playing is sorely lacking. As I said earlier, kudos go out to the band and, of course, to the always find pickin' of Mr. Skaggs. However, Hornsby's deft touch on the ivories, while not completely missing, is not given the prominent role that it deserves. This was not the case with the live performance.

I do not mean to overly- disparage this work. I give it three stars. It's listenable, at times enjoyable, but just did not live up to my high expectations. It was a great idea and I hope they try it again. Maybe a live concert recording would better capture the chemistry that these two fine musicians can produce together.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2008 1:07 PM PDT