Profile for I. Santana > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

I. Santana "I.S." RSS Feed (Cambridge, MA)

BAFX Products - All IPOD/IPHONE Wall Travel Charger - With IC chip to prevent over charging

1.0 out of 5 stars One thing to do, and it doesn't do it., June 22, 2012
I plugged it into the wall, and the red charger light came on. I then plugged it into my phone (iPhone 4), and it wouldn't charge. I came back several hours later to see if it just needed to be on for a while, stuck my phone in it, and still didn't work. Two weeks later, I conclude that I'm out 6 bucks (a pretty good meatball sub), and I deliver a product review on this waste of plastic. Charger that doesn't charge? No different that a toaster that doesn't toast or a heater that doesn't heat. Simple verdict: (less than) 1 star.

Thomas Kuhn's Revolution (Bloomsbury Studies in American Philosophy)
Thomas Kuhn's Revolution (Bloomsbury Studies in American Philosophy)
by James A. Marcum
12 used & new from $87.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic overview of the life and influence of Kuhn., March 30, 2012
This is a brilliant book. I'm using it for a historiographical essay on Kuhn, and it has been all too helpful. Detailing Kuhn's work, giving a great breakdown of "The Structure" and its controversies, and elaborating on Kuhnian influence, it's the best biography of Kuhn that I've seen to date. Good work.

Free Will
Free Will
by Sam Harris
Price: $7.05
104 used & new from $4.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Less than impressive... An unfortunate fumble., March 12, 2012
This review is from: Free Will (Paperback)
When I heard that Harris, one of the most prominent leaders of the "New atheist" movement, was coming out with something new, I was pretty excited to check it out. When I looked it up on Amazon, I was absolutely thrilled, because the title made it obvious that he would be addressing one of my favorite subjects. I saw it was $10, so I, non-hesitantly, clicked "pre-order" and went about my day.

When the package finally made its way to my doorstep a few days ago, I opened it up found that my prior excitement was stifled on account of what I was holding: a pamphlet. I didn't properly check into the work, so I figured I would be holding a 200 page, semi-exhaustive academic piece on the nature (or, non-nature, more appropriately) of free will, with great atheist insight enlightened by the best in neuroscience. Instead, I flipped through the pages confused, trying make sure something hadn't gone wrong with the order. Then, I realized that this was, indeed, the "book" I was expecting. I was somewhat insulted that such an acclaimed thinker could muster the audacity to seriously attempt writing on such an enormous and controversial subject in 70 "pages" (at 14 pt. font, quarter inch spacing, and 1 inch margins, the booklet should have really only taken up 40).

Finishing it after dinner that evening, my shock at the size of this "book" had flipped 180 degrees: I couldn't believe that, in 70 pages, someone could actually say so ridiculously little. From one boisterous claim to another, Harris seemed all the more intent on rattling cages than actually providing clear, logical, and substantiated arguments for these monstrous assertions. Time and time again, I felt like I was listening to the erratic argument of a 17 year old youtube "atheist" who had stumbled upon some scientific evidence that had the potential to mean something, but didn't take the time to actually formulate what that was. Though some of Harris' statements would actually take hundreds of pages to evidence and argue persuasively, the booklet seemed to be a 70-page abstract of something that he *should've* actually written about (and that, no doubt, most of us were hoping to read about). Instead, we are left with the mention of a couple of notable scientific experiments (some real, some hypothetical...) that are worth considering (but are not nearly as conclusive as Harris not-so-implicitly leads on) in the debate over free will, and an absurdly disproportional set of claims to accompany this "evidence," as if 2+2 =7 billion. I've now read it for a second time, and I have seen little change to my original opinion of this pamphlet: it is, unfortunately, just an insult to the discipline and some of the great scholars who have undertaken it.

I will give respect where it is due, and Dr. Harris definitely has the credentials to make great claims and be listened to (within the parameters of his area...), but this is clearly (at least, I hope) not his best work. Though I respect both of his alma maters and look forward to his work in the future, I'm not sure that this pamphlet would pass for a senior thesis at my old undergraduate university; there's just too much asserted and not enough said to support it.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2014 9:05 AM PST

A Scandalous Providence
A Scandalous Providence
by E. Frank Tupper
54 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great work., July 31, 2010
I don't really have time for a lengthy review, but, simply put: this was an absolutely great work of theodicy.

Aroma AWK-115S Hot H20 X-Press 1-1/2-Liter Cordless Water Kettle
Aroma AWK-115S Hot H20 X-Press 1-1/2-Liter Cordless Water Kettle
Price: $33.99
62 used & new from $24.86

5.0 out of 5 stars After 500 Boils, 100% Dependable., July 31, 2010
I bought this electric kettle in early May after studying in England for a semester (I promised myself this invention was just too nifty to not have). In England, the electric kettles brought water to a boil somewhere between 1-2 minutes. When I first got this one, I took right at about 5 minutes, which I, honestly, thought was a little long, even considering that the 220V and 120V difference in currency between America and the UK would make the boil slower here (same reason I saw an alarm clock melt before my eyes there). But, pretty soon, the kettle started boiling a little quicker (for whatever reason..).

Now, completely filled, from cold sink water, it boils 1.5 liters (about 50 American fluid ounces) in right about 4 minutes consistently. If the water is even lukewarm from a previous boil or just not cold, it will go in closer to 3. If the water has already been boiled within a period of about 20 minutes (the kettle keeps water warm for over an hour), it'll only take a minute, maximum. I drink lots of hot drinks (I probably boil the kettle about 5 times a day), so this is an absolute "must-have" if boiling water is a frequent task in everyday life. Very easy to use and (from my experience) very safe. It has never failed to shut off when boiling. It will boil for about 10 seconds, then shuts off accordingly. The outside does get pretty hot, so beware of that when handling it (the sturdy plastic handle doesn't get hot at all, though). I do not have any kids, but I would figure that any electric kettle needs to be kept away from children too small to handle or too young to understand the capacities of boiling water (or the metal that encases it).

It does not have any plastic aromas or harmful particles to it, speaking for my specific kettle. I'm almost certain that the only surface that water ever touches is the metal. It's also quite sleek and easy to move around. The cord (which is attached to the plate that the kettle boils on, but isn't attached to the kettle) is only about 2 feet, though, which is really my only "complaint," if you can call it that (I think anything over 3 feet would be too long).

Anyway, in summary, I give this kettle a 5/5 and recommend it to anyone. It's definitely worth the money, and is extremely helpful for people who have a desire to boil water many times a day, for whatever reason.

(College students: It cooks Ramen perfectly. But, don't eat too much of that junk.. it's terrible for you).

Apple iPod Earphones
Apple iPod Earphones
Offered by Power-Optical
Price: $2.00
11 used & new from $2.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Unauthentic Apple, December 2, 2009
This review is from: Apple iPod Earphones (Electronics)
Alike many of the reviews below, I saw the headphones (which I had run to the ground from the first day I bought my iPod) were only 5 dollars. I immediately ordered them, and when they came in, everything sort of appeared the same. I noticed they felt a bit different... they didn't fit as well and didn't stay in the ear as well. But, my real problem came when I finally turned on some music. The sound quality was terrible in every way there was. The maximum volume was probably 3/4's of what the originals was. The balance was very off; the left earbud would work, but the right earbud could not even be heard unless the left was taken out. It had a slight buzz in the background, especially anytime any kind of bass kicked in. I would definitely not recommend this product to a friend. They are obviously not the real Apple earbuds, and aren't even worth $5.

The type of music I listen to varies from Stevie Ray Vaughan to Matchbox Twenty to Coldplay. I mostly tested these on soft alternative rock songs, but went through many types of music to assure the lack of quality.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2009 7:53 PM PST